SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Softcell: withdrawal - 17 yrs Seroxat / Paxil / paroxetine

Softcell

On 6/16/2019 at 3:21 PM, Softcell said:

I am doing pretty bad. My symptoms are increasing by the week.  I'm try to get a couple of questions answered here, but get no replies.  I was even referred to go a facebook group.  I seen people been here a couple of years and getting regular respondent's.  I'm very concerned about my wellbeing and future state.  I can only read through the pages here trying to find an answer of some description.  How are you getting on

Hi Softcell how are you doing ? 

Nov 2018 Pregabalin 2x50 mg a day to help with Paxil WD. Aug 2019 2 x 25mg a day, April 2020 45mg, May 40mg, June 35mg, July 30mg, end July 25mg, Aug 24mg, June 2021 14mg, Jan 2022 14mg (2x7mg a day), Oct 10mg, Nov 5mg, December 25th 2022 0mg 🎈

Oct 2004 - Oct 2018 Paxil 20 mg, Nov 15mg, Dec 10mg,  Feb 2019 7.5mg crashed, Feb 8.5mg, Nov 8mg, March 2020 7.2mg, April 6.5mg, May 5.9mg, June 5.4mg, July 4.8mg, Dec 4.5mg, Jan 2021 4mg, Feb 3.6mg, March 3.2mg, April 2.9mg, Aug 2.7mg, Sept 2.4mg, Oct 2.2mg, Nov 2mg, Dec 1.8mg, Feb 2022 1.6mg, March 1.4mg, April 1.2mg, May 1.0mg, June 0.8mg, July 0.6mg, Aug 0.4mg, Sep 0.2mg, October 6th 2022 0mg  🎈

December 25th 2022 drug free 

these dates are approximate 

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Softcell

• Altostrata

• ChessieCat

• Longroadhome

@Altostrata

@Karma

@Shep

@brassmonkey

@ChessieCat

@Gridley

Please help!  I have been in.withdrawals for 10months now.  1 week ago I developed RIngworm.    So for one week I have been using over the counter Hydrocort Cream.  Cortisole.  Over the last few days I.have been feeling terrible,  even a akathesia like state.  Inner restless/tremble.  Arms legs head buttock groin.    Am I having a reaction to this cream???????    This is external cream???   

2002 to 2018. 20mg seroxat daily. 

January 2018 to july 2018  tapered 20mg down to.10mg

10mg daily now from july 2018. 

• Administrator

It's possible you are having a reaction to hydrocortisone cream. Please talk to your doctor about the appropriate treatment with an antifungal.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Ringworm can be treated with iodine liquid.  According to what I found on the internet you can use Betadine which contains iodine.

Do a search for:  iodine liquid for ringworm

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thank you for your help.  

@Altostrata 

@ChessieCat 

I would just like to give an update on my situation, 

As previously I'm still holding on the 10mg paxil each day 9.30am with food.

I've been holding this dose since july 2018,   and now 10 months into withdrawals.

I take no other meds or supplements or social habits,   diet is clean with fibre fruit and veg with lean meats. No processed or sweet foods,  water is the only drink. Sleep is generally 6 hours a night unless symptoms prevents. 

I particularly would like to ask about the near constant head pressures pains and burns freezes and vibrations theusually above each ear and rear of head, accompanied by temple face ear neck pains. Is this normal over such a period?  My cognitive abilities  are effected moderately. Hyperacusis from the beginning with Tinnitus appearing  2 months ago.  I have periods of anxiety depression and anhedonia   My main symptoms are head and physical body pains.  I seem to get a high amount , I won't list them all.  I dont get clear windows and and bad waves , just constant revolution of symptoms old and new that wax and wane daily/hourly in severity.  Over the last few weeks thought on waking up my body feels like its been run over,  then clears greatly on waking and moving. again symptoms excelled with much increased muscle twitches and pain, near constant  fatigue with flu,  burning insect like legs and arms. Inner shaking,  restless legs, joint pain, groin lymph nodes tenderness. Feelings of nerve freezes/rushes in legs arms buttocks groin, blood pressure fluctuations, upset stomach,   and of course more increasing head trauma. 

Have I maybe reached a real wave,  should I maybe have some tests. Could I even of reached tolerance on the remaining drug.   

I know you don't have all the answers, but In your experience could you have any thoughts.  I thank you for your help. 

• Administrator

Paxil is a very difficult drug to quit. You have been having problems off and on since tapering down to 10mg in July 2018.

In addition, you've had reactions to other drugs, such as the hydrocortisone. What exactly are you taking now, at what times of day? Are your symptoms better or worse at any times of day?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

@Altostrata 

Thank you for your reply.  Sorry I haven't replied sooner,  I just wasn't up to it.   Trying to keep things as simple as I possibly can as regards to diet and medications.  It seems I'm in a slow motion course of getting worse each month. I slept reasonably well with average 6 hours,  The last two weeks has seen near constant agitation and internal trembling,  head pressures,  I don't think I experience akathesia but I wonder sometimes. Arms and legs buttocks twitches and burnings.   Any anxiety triggers a wave of increased symptoms in the arms legs buttocks and especially the head.  chest tightness is getting worse. Sleep has deteriorated,  with difficulty getting to sleep and staying asleep,  constantly waking with dreams and anxiety with chest tightness and laboured breath, also jolts through the body. Each time I wake its a feeling like I've been beaten and feel so sick,  then after 10 or so minutes it eases off, only to go through the process again.  Now getting anxiety around the house and intense before I leave the house if I can manage a short walk. Getting blood pressure fluctuations and low heart rate, lowest point 43 bpm resting.  I do have relationship and money stressors now unfortunately due to this.

All my symptoms and times are random,  no patterns formed.  I did try a small amount of high quality fish oils 2 months ago, it gave me increased anxiety, also tried small amount of magnesium, the same bad reaction.  

The ringworm, I switched to a fungal cream clotrimazol 2 weeks ago,  the ringworm is clearing slowly,  

As I said I take no other meds, its now 14 months on a stable daily seroxat 10mg dose,  10 months into withdrawals.  

I know there is no way you can help me physically,   I can only ask your advice, 

Should I try a decrease in my seroxat or wait still further for stabilization,

I do rarely get very small windows of feeling better, and larger windows of ease of symptoms. 

Should I get all my bloods checked for any problems,   

Always in my head is this still withdrawals or simply my original problems returning in a more activated form.  Its been so long stuck at 10mg waiting for stabilization. 

Thank you for your time. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Softcell have you not tried an updose yet? I wonder if that would help. 

You are definitely experiencing withdrawal, it is not "in your head."  Ive had the chest tightness, the heart rate changes, the head pressures and temperature sensations (to me my brain is cold rather than hot). This is all nervous system-related and that means it can literally be any symptom. 

Apr 2018: Began 10 mg Amitriptyline (for headaches & insomnia from concussion).

Jul - Aug 2018: Fast taper to 5 mg and then 2.5 mg (too fast, hellish withdrawal at 2.5 mg). Sept 2018: Reinstated 10 mg (many symptoms improved). Oct 2018 - Apr 2019: Updosed & stabilized on 11 mg (2 waves at 3 and 5 months post-withdrawal). Apr 2019 - Apr 2020: Tapered 0.5-0.25 mg per month using compounded pills: 11 mg —> 6 mg. (2 waves at 12 and 16 months post-withdrawal.) Apr 2020 - present: Switched to a liquid taper at rate of 0.1 mg per month. Currently: 1.1 mg. No more waves. 

Supplements: Omega-3 fish oil, Vit B12, coenzyme Q10, Hawthorn extract (for tachycardia) Tools for insomnia/waves (as needed): Epsom salt foot soaks, 0.5 mg Melatonin, quality time, waves WILL PASS. Lifestyle: Eat real foods, mostly plants; sunlight, walking, yoga; symptom tracking on adapted Glenmullen chart.

• Administrator

@composter please take care with drug dosing recommendations. Increasing dosage is not necessarily good for everyone.

Softcell, it might be time to consider a switch to Prozac. FYI The Prozac switch or "bridging" with Prozac

Have any of your doctors shown any grasp of your withdrawal issues?

@Altostrata 

Thank you for your reply.  Sorry I haven't replied sooner,  I just wasn't up to it.   Trying to keep things as simple as I possibly can as regards to diet and medications.  It seems I'm in a slow motion course of getting worse each month. I slept reasonably well with average 6 hours,  The last two weeks has seen near constant agitation and internal trembling,  head pressures,  I don't think I experience akathesia but I wonder sometimes. Arms and legs buttocks twitches and burnings.   Any anxiety triggers a wave of increased symptoms in the arms legs buttocks and especially the head.  chest tightness is getting worse. Sleep has deteriorated,  with difficulty getting to sleep and staying asleep,  constantly waking with dreams and anxiety with chest tightness and laboured breath, also jolts through the body. Each time I wake its a feeling like I've been beaten and feel so sick,  then after 10 or so minutes it eases off, only to go through the process again.  Now getting anxiety around the house and intense before I leave the house if I can manage a short walk. Getting blood pressure fluctuations and low heart rate, lowest point 43 bpm resting.  I do have relationship and money stressors now unfortunately due to this.

All my symptoms and times are random,  no patterns formed.  I did try a small amount of high quality fish oils 2 months ago, it gave me increased anxiety, also tried small amount of magnesium, the same bad reaction.  

The ringworm, I switched to a fungal cream clotrimazol 2 weeks ago,  the ringworm is clearing slowly,  

As I said I take no other meds, its now 14 months on a stable daily seroxat 10mg dose,  10 months into withdrawals.  

I know there is no way you can help me physically,   I can only ask your advice, 

Should I try a decrease in my seroxat or wait still further for stabilization,

I do rarely get very small windows of feeling better, and larger windows of ease of symptoms. 

Should I get all my bloods checked for any problems,   

Always in my head is this still withdrawals or simply my original problems returning in a more activated form.  Its been so long stuck at 10mg waiting for stabilization. 

Thank you for your time. 

@Altostrata

The Previous advice of increasing the paxil, I don't think I will take this advice. 

Unfortunately with my doctor situation is not great,  I'm from a small town and having the same doctor some 40 years.  Although he is well respected, He originally administered paxil and his wisdom left me on it with no reviews. . He has no knowledge of how to correctly taper, as his method got me in this position.  He has no experience in withdrawals either,   so I couldn't possibly trust him with any further advice.  .  I could ask to switch doctors at the practice, but I fear the same mentality.  

The switch over sounds a course of action, something I will keep in mind.  Unfortunately i don't have the support network around me to enable me to undertake such a task.

Its all getting long in the tooth and yesterdays news ,  I fear upsetting the boat further would escalate an already tense environment. 

Even though each wave becomes steadily worse , an immediate worsening situation could be hard for me.  

I feel I'm stuck in a doomed like situation.  

Thank you for your advice

• Administrator

Since you are taking 10mg paroxetine, I might add 1mg fluoxetine as a test dose. Let us know how you do with this.

Then, you'd gradually titrate up every 5 days to maybe 5mg fluoxetine, then reduce the paroxetine 1mg every 3 days.

You'd have to ask this doctor for a liquid fluoxetine prescription to accomplish the crossover. See The Prozac switch or "bridging" with Prozac

If you cannot ask your doctor to help you, it's time for a heart-to-heart with this doctor or some other doctor in the practice. RCP has just issued guidance advising GPs to assist tapers.

• 2 weeks later...

@Altostrata 

Hi.  I finally got an appointment with my doctor.  Unfortunately he took a very  dim view of my current situation. Saying  that it was a stupid idea trying to come off the drug,  he does not believe in withdrawal syndrome either after such a long period. He pressed on with the belief that its the emergence of the original condition has returned.  He would not prescribe me any other drugs for bridging,  his explanation being that I am In distress and should increase my seroxat back to the original dose of 20mg a day.    

Currently now a very alarming symptom has occurred to gain popularity with his view.    Now when I try to sleep I.get a heavy hypnik. Jerk,   and If I do get past that its followed by me waking within 30 minutes with laboured breath,  chest tightness,.  lump in the throat and epigastric pressure, shakes nd stomach rumbles. It subsides sometimes but only to have the same process again.  Its 3 nights now.with virtually no sleep. 

Doctor confirmed its GAD on the visit. 

What on earth can I do now.  

Is it way way to late for a gamble of reinstatement as.the doctor instructed,  or even go down a touch.  

• Moderator Emeritus
On 9/13/2019 at 6:57 AM, Altostrata said:

If you cannot ask your doctor to help you, it's time for a heart-to-heart with this doctor or some other doctor in the practice. RCP has just issued guidance advising GPs to assist tapers.

Alto has already made the above comment.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

You might find it helpful to write a script and rehearse what you are going to say so that you can get what you need to taper.  Be calm, gentle but assertive.  You are the customer, it is your body.  Use words like I'd like to try this, or I'd prefer to do it this way.  If a suggestion is made that you don't want to follow, say I'd like to think about it before making a decision.

how-to-talk-to-a-doctor-about-tapering-and-withdrawal-what-to-expect

7 hours ago, Softcell said:

@Altostrata 

Hi.  I finally got an appointment with my doctor.  Unfortunately he took a very  dim view of my current situation. Saying  that it was a stupid idea trying to come off the drug,  he does not believe in withdrawal syndrome either after such a long period. He pressed on with the belief that its the emergence of the original condition has returned.  He would not prescribe me any other drugs for bridging,  his explanation being that I am In distress and should increase my seroxat back to the original dose of 20mg a day.    

Currently now a very alarming symptom has occurred to gain popularity with his view.    Now when I try to sleep I.get a heavy hypnik. Jerk,   and If I do get past that its followed by me waking within 30 minutes with laboured breath,  chest tightness,.  lump in the throat and epigastric pressure, shakes nd stomach rumbles. It subsides sometimes but only to have the same process again.  Its 3 nights now.with virtually no sleep. 

Doctor confirmed its GAD on the visit. 

What on earth can I do now.  

Is it way way to late for a gamble of reinstatement as.the doctor instructed,  or even go down a touch.  

Hi Softcell

sit it out. Some people on this site have taken much much longer than you to stabilise . Therefore I would think the best option is to stay put sit with your symptoms and wait . 

Nov 2018 Pregabalin 2x50 mg a day to help with Paxil WD. Aug 2019 2 x 25mg a day, April 2020 45mg, May 40mg, June 35mg, July 30mg, end July 25mg, Aug 24mg, June 2021 14mg, Jan 2022 14mg (2x7mg a day), Oct 10mg, Nov 5mg, December 25th 2022 0mg 🎈

Oct 2004 - Oct 2018 Paxil 20 mg, Nov 15mg, Dec 10mg,  Feb 2019 7.5mg crashed, Feb 8.5mg, Nov 8mg, March 2020 7.2mg, April 6.5mg, May 5.9mg, June 5.4mg, July 4.8mg, Dec 4.5mg, Jan 2021 4mg, Feb 3.6mg, March 3.2mg, April 2.9mg, Aug 2.7mg, Sept 2.4mg, Oct 2.2mg, Nov 2mg, Dec 1.8mg, Feb 2022 1.6mg, March 1.4mg, April 1.2mg, May 1.0mg, June 0.8mg, July 0.6mg, Aug 0.4mg, Sep 0.2mg, October 6th 2022 0mg  🎈

• Administrator

Paroxetine is so very difficult to go off, my inclination is to effect a switch to fluoxetine. This is why I suggested a 1mg test dose to add to paroxetine.

Your doctor is very much behind the times. You need a different doctor. You cannot afford to continue seeing someone who "does not believe" in withdrawal syndrome.

• 2 months later...
On 8/26/2019 at 6:51 AM, Softcell said:

@Altostrata

@Karma

@Shep

@brassmonkey

@ChessieCat

@Gridley

Please help!  I have been in.withdrawals for 10months now.  1 week ago I developed RIngworm.    So for one week I have been using over the counter Hydrocort Cream.  Cortisole.  Over the last few days I.have been feeling terrible,  even a akathesia like state.  Inner restless/tremble.  Arms legs head buttock groin.    Am I having a reaction to this cream???????    This is external cream???   

This is a reaction of the following bad combination;

1. Paxil

2. Being in WD period

3. Adding cortisone type of salve which 

Interacts with Paxil especially during WD (nerve system is more sensitieve than usual).

Also tapering from 20mg to 10mg has probably gone to fast for nerve system tot adjust. But you probably already know. Sit out or minor small updose. Keep away from stress and take enough rest. From now on take smaller steps and be careful with NSAID, painkillers, anesthetics etc.

Take care best wishes for 2020

• 45 years old male
  • job in spatial planning
  • into sports, animals and nature
  • Started using 20 mg Paroxetine (Paxil) in 2004 for stressrelated anxiety/depression
  • Attempted several times to stop, starting a few years after 2004
  • Found out in 2015 about paxil withdrawal symptoms and the 5-10% taper guideline
  • Started using liquid paxil in 2015/2016
  • 2018 --> 11.2 mg of paxil
  • 2019-2023 developed severe food- and other sensitivities (anti imflammatory, anti oxidant, food colourings, oils, herbs, chemicals etc.)
  • 12/2023 Poop-out/tolerance, introducing brassmonkey slide method 0.1mg/week
  • 26/1/2024 10 mg (journey halfway).
On 8/26/2019 at 6:51 AM, Softcell said:

@Altostrata

@Karma

@Shep

@brassmonkey

@ChessieCat

@Gridley

1. Paxil

2. Being in WD period

Interacts with Paxil especially during WD (nerve system is more sensitieve than usual).

Also tapering from 20mg to 10mg has probably gone to fast for nerve system tot adjust. But you probably already know. Sit out or minor small updose. Keep away from stress and take enough rest. From now on take smaller steps and be careful with NSAID, painkillers, anesthetics etc.

And yes "external salve" reaches the blood. Had to experience this myself also.

• 45 years old male
  • job in spatial planning
  • into sports, animals and nature
  • Started using 20 mg Paroxetine (Paxil) in 2004 for stressrelated anxiety/depression
  • Attempted several times to stop, starting a few years after 2004
  • Found out in 2015 about paxil withdrawal symptoms and the 5-10% taper guideline
  • Started using liquid paxil in 2015/2016
  • 2018 --> 11.2 mg of paxil
  • 2019-2023 developed severe food- and other sensitivities (anti imflammatory, anti oxidant, food colourings, oils, herbs, chemicals etc.)
  • 12/2023 Poop-out/tolerance, introducing brassmonkey slide method 0.1mg/week
  • 26/1/2024 10 mg (journey halfway).
  • 6 months later...
On 12/20/2019 at 9:51 AM, Sebas said:

1. Paxil

2. Being in WD period

And yes "external salve" reaches the blood. Had to experience this myself also.

How are you @Softcell

are you feeling any better? 
Longroadhome