Sign in to follow this  
nick1990

Truth about expiry dates?

nick1990

After doing some research on the topic, it seems unclear whether or not the expiry dates on SSRI drugs are actually when the drug expires or a completely made up concept created by the manufacturers. Articles I have read state that many drugs are still good for another decade after their supposed “expiry date”. I’m not jumping to any conclusions here but am more interested in what some of you think. 

Im planning a generic switch of citalopram in April, but only as my current generic expires in May this year. I still have enough of the drug to last until the end of this year! 

I’m currently in the end phase of my recovery from a little crash I had 5 months ago and am just starting to gain stability. I would rather not throw a generic switch into the equation just as my system is settling. However if the expiry date is to be taken seriously, then I will switch to the new generic. Hopefully without any issues. 

What do the chemist experts on this forum think ? I appreciate your time ! 

ChessieCat

It wouldn't surprise me that the tablet form of drugs are still fully usable well after their expiry date. 

But as a I said to another member recently.  If it is going to cause you anxiety because you are concerned about whether you are still getting a full dose of the drug, then it is better to use tablets that have not passed the expiry date.

My Pristiq tablets are within the use by date.  However, once they are compounded the pharmacist is required to state that they should be discarded after 6 months.  He has told me not to worry about that and to keep using them.

nick1990

That’s interesting Chessie about what the compounding pharmacy said.

I know that there are some members on here , maybe moderators who have professional experience with chemistry.

If your out there, please chime in with your opinion.

thanks! 

bubbles
On 2/27/2019 at 6:14 AM, ChessieCat said:

My Pristiq tablets are within the use by date.  However, once they are compounded the pharmacist is required to state that they should be discarded after 6 months.  He has told me not to worry about that and to keep using them. 

Hi ChessieCat

All of my meds are compounded these days. They always have a six month expiry date on them, and come in capsule form. How do yours come and have you notice a difference toward the end of the dates?

ChessieCat

Hi bubbles,

My compounding pharmacist told me that they are required to put a 6 month expiry on the label but that I don't need to worry about it.

bubbles

Hi @ChessieCat, I'll ask for more information next time.

Sign in to follow this