Sex during withdrawal syndrome

LilyBlueRose

Topic title:  Sex and the effects during SSRI withdrawal

I was wondering if anyone can explain this or has experienced this. My husband and I havnt had sex in a long time. We are both a year into celexa withdrawal and have both had serious issues. I've been struggling with dizziness for a year now. ( this past week I had a bunch of vestibular tests and an mri which all came back normal)

The past few days I havnt felt so bad. My husband and I had sex tonight and after I felt really sick. Dizzy naseous anxious.

I fell asleep two hours ago and woke up about thirty minutes ago in a complete panic. Extremely dizzy and very dreadful feeling, excruciatingly anxious and nauseous /sour stomach and I can't seem to calm down. I feel dreadful. Worse than I have in a while. Like I want to crawl out of my skin, like I am dying and just so dizzy.

Ugh!

Has anyone experienced anything like this before?

Thanks for reading

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

Current age - 29

At Ages 16- 20 Celexa 40 mg 

2014- September through February of 2016 ( 18 months) Celexa 20 mg

Tapered for Several months

Celexa free since February of 2016

• 1 year later...

I think the title pretty much sums up my question. What are the effects on serotonin levels or the nervous system if you have sex while experiencing withdrawal symptoms?

Klonopin starting December, 2017 -  5mg - took it for 3 maybe 4 months. 

Lexapro - 10mg starting November 2017, then perscribed 20mg two months later, am still on lexapro presently.

I cold turkeyed off of Klonopin and had horrific withdrawal, every symptom other than being hospitalized.

I cold turkeyed off of Lexapro for 5 days, reinstated back to 20 mg for 3 months before looking into tapering. (unsure how long it may have been more)

I have dropped from 20 to 3.5mg in 9.5 months. 

I just reinstated from 3.5 to 3.75mg and have been on it for 4 days.

I have taken multi vitamins, niacin, ginko baloba, amino acids, and protein drinks supplements.

I have smoked weed for 6 months, just stopped for good three weeks ago.

I have drank on the weekends in excess for many months in the past.

• Altostrata changed the title to Having sex during withdrawal syndrome
  • Moderator Emeritus

Sex is a physical activity, which can be of a wide variety of intensity.  Some members find that over doing exercise can ramp up their withdrawal symptoms.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator

Whatever effect sex has on serotonin is irrelevant. You have serotonin throughout your body. Most of it is in your gut helping with digestion.

Despite common belief, there is no such thing as a "serotonin imbalance" in mood disorders. Serotonin levels are not the key to resolving withdrawal syndrome.

If sex feels good, do it. If it doesn't, don't do it.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus
1 minute ago, Altostrata said:

Despite common belief, there is no such thing as a "serotonin imbalance" in mood disorders. Serotonin levels are not the key to resolving withdrawal syndrome.

again-chemical-imbalance-is-a-myth-stop-the-lies-please

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

for me, the effects have been in either one or two of the extremes during my withdrawal from SSRI (quetiapine in my case) since i began to wean/taper in oct 2017 until current day: either the climax is phenomenal/increased sensitivity to the point of OMG wonderfulness or...i'm unable to get there AT ALL. no in between. very frustrating, cause, well not as much when solo, but with spouse it's such a psychological make it or break it situation.. an incredible satifying release or a terribly disappointing failure... i don't think my spouse is nearly so critical as i am in my own head about it, but it is something that makes us not want to try sometimes for fear of the failure side. we just never know. when solo i have the same physical outcome, one of either extreme and no in betweens, but the psychological effect is not as devastating, because i just figure ah to hell with it and go do something else. if that makes sense?  but even solo was such a wonderful way to "burn off some stress" before and now it's hit or miss. i really hate that, but at least it doesn't cause me physical pain or nausea at this point. but before i began to taper,when i was on high dose SSRI especially, i became unable to feel my genito-urinary region at all..and i had urinary and rarely bowel incontinence to the point of wearing depends. they told me, neurologists, psychiatrists, that i had MS/Multiple Sclerosis that was causing those symptoms but the symptoms went away when i got my dose down to about 85 mg daily! 

Edited by ChessieCat
removed quote

UPDATED: 9/01/2019

Quetiapine:  2000-2005: 50mg;  2005: 100mg;   2008: 400mg;   2011: 100mg;   2014: 300mg;   2014-2017: 400mg;  7/2018-2/2019: 75mg;  1/2019: 68.75mg;  4/2019: completed switch to 3x daily dosing (25mg 8AM, 18.75mg 4PM, 25mg MIDNITE);  5/2019: 68.75mg (switched to all liquid taper using HUMCO suspension agent)  8/2019: 61mg       

Clonazepam:  2008: 2mg then 0.25mg;   2012: 0.5mg;   2014: 1mg;   4/2019: 1mg ~completed switch to 3x daily dosing (0.25mg 8AM, 0.25mg 2PM, 0.5mg 8PM);   8/2019: 1mg (switched to all liquid taper using propylene glycol as solvent)    

Gabapentin:   2011: 100mg;   2011: 200mg TID    2014: 300mg;  2017: 600mg;   2019: 900mg PM;   3/2019: completed switch to 3x daily dosing (300mg q8h)

Prior drugs: Please see this link:    (the remaining dates & meds records will be updated as i receive my complete medical files.)

Suppl's: Deva Vegan Multi & Mineral Supplement w/Greens 1x, Magnesium Lysinate Glycinate Chelate 100mg 4x, vit c 1000mg  2x, zinc gluconate 50mg 1x q.o.d., Allicin Max 180mg TID,  chlorella/spirulina 50/50 blend 2tabs 5x daily

HRT:  300mg oral progesterone h.s., 0.1mg estradiol transdermal patch 2x week

duno if i hit notify me or not

UPDATED: 9/01/2019

Quetiapine:  2000-2005: 50mg;  2005: 100mg;   2008: 400mg;   2011: 100mg;   2014: 300mg;   2014-2017: 400mg;  7/2018-2/2019: 75mg;  1/2019: 68.75mg;  4/2019: completed switch to 3x daily dosing (25mg 8AM, 18.75mg 4PM, 25mg MIDNITE);  5/2019: 68.75mg (switched to all liquid taper using HUMCO suspension agent)  8/2019: 61mg       

Clonazepam:  2008: 2mg then 0.25mg;   2012: 0.5mg;   2014: 1mg;   4/2019: 1mg ~completed switch to 3x daily dosing (0.25mg 8AM, 0.25mg 2PM, 0.5mg 8PM);   8/2019: 1mg (switched to all liquid taper using propylene glycol as solvent)    

Gabapentin:   2011: 100mg;   2011: 200mg TID    2014: 300mg;  2017: 600mg;   2019: 900mg PM;   3/2019: completed switch to 3x daily dosing (300mg q8h)

Prior drugs: Please see this link:    (the remaining dates & meds records will be updated as i receive my complete medical files.)

Suppl's: Deva Vegan Multi & Mineral Supplement w/Greens 1x, Magnesium Lysinate Glycinate Chelate 100mg 4x, vit c 1000mg  2x, zinc gluconate 50mg 1x q.o.d., Allicin Max 180mg TID,  chlorella/spirulina 50/50 blend 2tabs 5x daily

HRT:  300mg oral progesterone h.s., 0.1mg estradiol transdermal patch 2x week

• 1 year later...

I get really bad severe anxiety and adrenaline rushes for an hour after sex. When they stop my digestion has shut down by that time with severe candida. What can i do to stop this?

the only thing ive done previously is cold turkey antidepressant 2 year ago. I had this before too but it was mild then. Drug was citalopram 10 mg

Ngill

• Administrator

Merged similar topics.

Generally, if something makes you feel worse, maybe you shouldn't do it for a while? Otherwise, you have to cope with the after-effects.

We don't know anything about candida.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 3 months later...

Masturbation

Hi all,

I’ve been a tad reluctant to start this as you can probably imagine from the title.

I’m 20 years old, male, and since having an adverse reaction to Sertraline (10 months ago), I’ve used the title of this thread as a crutch to help me sleep, find some relative periods of calm as it makes me sleepy, and I guess it’s quite common in those who are depressed - as one can imagine in our situation.

I started to become quite bad at around the 3-month mark for quite a while. I’ve improved a lot so far in terms of my reaction + healing, though I’ve noticed quite an abhorrent Decline motivation, ability to converse, and moments with little to no brain fog.

I guess I’m asking if anyone has/had the same problem during this, if you don’t want to post publicly, then feel free to private message!

I hardly did this before my reaction, so I’m scared that I’ve possibly damaged myself further permanently, you also see a lot of articles detailing ‘ageing’ as a result of masturbsting excessively.

I figured no one would really want to mention it on here. Before I was ill, whenever I was upset, my impulse control went down the drain; I think I’ve now constantly been upset for 10 or so months. I’m trying to put my foot down, today is day two of abstaining - but I can’t help but feel a little upset at what damage this might have caused.

Sometimes after doing it, I’d notice the soles of my feet go a little numb/pins and needles’ey (this would correct after walking around for a while). Everything is just very overwhelming, I’ve known this is bad since the very start, but I’ve lacked the will-power, and strength to do it.

I guess I’d just like to know that I’m not alone, and if anyone has any experience/has had negative effects from doing it.

Sorry for posting this, I know the mean age of this site is a little older; I know it’s an uncomfortable issue, and largely looked down upon - I looked down upon it too until it became an issue for me.

Thank you all, and feel free to take this thread down moderators if you so deem it,

Icip.

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

Early September 2019 - One 25mg dose of Sertraline taken.

Early October 2019 - Five 25mg doses (pills) of Sertraline taken for five consecutive days.

Withdrawal/reaction happened on the 27th of October (2019) in the evening.

Symptoms that have gone: Joint and muscle pain/weakness in my legs, phantom senses, chemical dread, chemical fear, DP/DR has gotten a lot lot better than what it is now, it was one of my worst and all-encompassing symptoms when it started, awful aphasia, parkinsonism, head pressure, pressure in my frontal lobe when trying to think/work out something, inability to plan or execute anything//feelings of being literally scatterbrained, inability to think in my head other than slight acknowledgements - the voice in my head sounded weak and 'small' like it was restrained to a much smaller area of my brain, constant fatigue, emotional numbness, constant eyestrain, and changes in perception of colour/contrast in sight.

Main remaining symptoms: Visual Snow/HPPD, derealisation, tinnitus, and brain/cog fog.

Drug free.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Sex during withdrawal syndrome

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy