SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ getofflex: weaning of Lexapro

getofflex

Hi, 

How are you doing?  I'm terribly sorry to hear your Mom is dying.  We are concerned about my Mom too, she has gotten so frail and is in pain, and I'm worried about her.   My Dad keeps reminding me that worry solves nothing and usually I'm pretty good at understanding that but lately am getting a bit off track with trying to keep on top of shutting the worries out. I think I need to tie a note to my finger about worrying...i just can't remember half the time not to do it! 

I think your idea of not tapering during the holidays is a sound one.  I hope holidays go well for you.  Try not to worry too much about the end of the taper--I did a long benzo taper and at the end of it I felt sure things would be very rough, and I was surprised to find it went rather well. 

As for creative endeavors, I wish I could paint, and must admit I am jealous that you can...my work is more reserved towards photography, jewelry making, making cards, knitting stuff like that.  On occasion I have tried my hand at drawing but it takes me quite a bit longer than most people (who have talent) to do the simplest drawings.  So I have only a very few I'm proud of. I so wish it came more naturally to me. 

Warm wishes to you and your Mom and family, US

Edited by getofflex

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, I'm doing pretty well today.  Since it has been about 6 or 7 week since I've tapered, I feel pretty normal, and I'm very grateful for that!  My sleep is finally starting to normalize a little.   I still have nights where it is tough to fall asleep, but I sometimes have nights were I am able to manage 6.5 or 7 hours of sleep for the first time in years.  I'm deeply grateful for this.  I agree worry solves nothing.  I'm pretty accepting of the fact that my mom may be in a gradual dying process.  

My oldest son is coming to visit today for a few days and I'm very excited about that!  

I will taper again after Christmas, or maybe even after the 1st of the year.  As I am almost off this SSRI, I am learning how to deal with my challenges in a direct way, since I no longer have the drug to numb my emotions out.  Luckily, I've had lots of time in therapy and 12 step groups. 

I think your creative endeavors sound wonderful.  All those things are just as artistic and creative as painting and drawing is.  Thanks for keeping in touch!      

Edited by getofflex

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

So it's been 2 months since my last taper.  I've been getting hit with waves, and still don't feel stabilized after 2 months.  This is concerning.  

What I've been doing is, on occasion, I take a Xanax or a Trazodone at night to help me with sleep.  I'm wondering if this is causing more problems than it is solving.  I might need to just bite the bullet and quit using these drugs to help me sleep at night.  At most, I only take one every other night, and I alternate the Xanax with the Trazodone.  Usually when I'm about a month or more from a Lexapro taper, I'm able to go 4 or 5 nights with halfway decent sleep between taking Xanax or Trazodone.  But this month there has been so much going on, with my son coming in for a visit, and Christmas right around the corner, that I've been struggling more than usual with WD symptoms.  (waves). I'm wondering if using the Xanax and Trazodone on occasion is contributing to these waves.  Perhaps if I quit using the Xanax and Trazodone at night on occasion I would be able to wean faster off of the Lexapro. 

Almost forgot to mention, I'm also dealing with menopause and frequent hot flashes, which deteriorates my sleep, and probably exacerbates my neuro-emotions. 

I would really appreciate some feedback on this, please.  I realize Xanax is highly addictive, so I'm really careful not to take that more than once every 4 nights.  

Edited by getofflex

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

I wished to say I hope your holidays have been going well.  I see you are having some issues though..I am not a mod but having been on benzos over the long term (given for bad reactions to antidepressants and withdrawal) and being around boards like this enough, I think you may be correct in believing that the Xanax and Traz could be causing a bit of a setback/wave.  (I have taken Traz as well, for about a week.)  Of course any holiday stress is a potential trigger too. How have things been going since you posted? 

All the best wishes of the season, US

Edited by getofflex

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

• Moderator Emeritus

My holidays didn't go that well. Now that I am almost off the AD's, my emotions are looking me squarely in the face, and they are very raw and amplified.  I'm hoping to have a very quiet and easy and stress free day today.  I have stopped using the trazodone, and am only going to use the Xanax on rare occasions to help with sleep at night.  So I will hold at my current dose of Lexapro for a while until I stabilize.  Fortunately, I have a good friend and my husband who is supporting me through this.  Thank you for your concern. 

Edited by getofflex

Very sorry to hear it. I have heard from a lot of people this year that they either were not looking forward to Christmas or they had a bad time.  So you are far from alone...I am starting to think most people have a bad time over the holidays.  Hopefully New Year's brings a better turn of events.  I hope you had a stress free day and lots of time to relax and take it easy.  Warm wishes, US

Edited by getofflex

• Moderator Emeritus

unfolding sky I appreciate your interest and concern In me.  I have given up the trazodone and Xanax altogether.  I flushed them down the toilet last night.  I only took one pill every 4-6 days, so I feel it is OK to just stop taking them.  I've only been getting about 3, 4, maybe 5 hours of sleep per night, but I'm glad I'm off those harmful drugs.  Nothing good can come out of being on drugs.  

How are you doing?  

Edited by getofflex

Hi, and happy new year. How have you been keeping?  I hope your new year started well. Did you do anything for new year's eve?    I am glad to hear you flushed the pills. A smart move!  Nothing good seems to come of taking them.  

As for how I'm doing thank you for asking.  To be honest I could be better.  Holidays were so so, thankfully no disasters, but we lost our dog in November and I miss him terribly. It was weird not having him around for Christmas.  I have to keep from looking at photos of him or I feel so crushed and get upset again.  He was a very unique dog with all kinds of funny quirks so it's hard without him around anymore. 

Edited by getofflex

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello unfolding sky.  I had a nice quiet New Year at home.  My husband, son and I made a nice seafood dinner. I'm really glad I flushed the pills, too.  I'm not having a withdrawal effect from them, as I was not taking them every day but I think when I did take them, they were messing with my withdrawal from SSRi's, because it was another chemical I was throwing into my nervous system.   

I'm actually able to get an almost normal nights sleep now.  It has been over 2 months since I've tapered.  I got very triggered by my mom right after Christmas and had a wave, so I want to wait a few days to a week or two before I do my next taper and give my system a time to rest.

I"m so sorry to hear you lost your dog. It sounds like you are grieving him.  It sounds like he was a great dog.  How is your withdrawal going?  

Edited by getofflex

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, how have you been doing?   I hope the positive sleep pattern has continued.  Any more tapering since you last posted?

Regarding my withdrawal have felt very sensitive to stress lately. And I have some strange health issues going on, not sure what is causing them exactly.  We don't get in quickly to see doctors here (in Canada) so I'm stuck trying to guess why they are happening.  I feel exceptionally tired too and have developed weird sleeping habits.  No real rhyme or reason to when I am going to need to sleep.  It's also getting so that I am so tired at times that I honestly feel i am going to collapse.

Edited by getofflex

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello unfolding sky.  I just did another taper yesterday - from 0.24 ml/mg to 0.2.  So far, I'm doing alright with that, although it usually takes between several days to 2 weeks to feel the effect of a taper.  I'm hoping that since this is such a tiny amount, it won't affect me too badly.  I slept so-so last night, but I had a stimulating evening.  

I'm sorry to hear that you have been sensitive to stress lately.  As far as weird sleep habits go, perhaps your circadian rhythm is off.  I heard that to help regulate circadian rhythm, it's good to get lots of light, exercise and activity during the day, especially in the morning, and then rest and take it easy and keep the lights down at night several hours before bed.  I've tried doing this to try to regulate mine, and I think it has helped.  Tylenol at night also seems to help me go back to sleep.  I will be praying for you.  I can identify, as I've often felt really exhausted and weak during WD myself. 

Edited by getofflex

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I'm feeling my taper now.  Insomnia, upset stomach, itching and tingly sensations.  This too shall pass.  I'm almost off this Lexapro!  Woohoo!  

Edited by getofflex

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, How are things going?  I am really excited to read you're almost done your taper!  Or maybe you are already done and you haven't yet posted about it?  How are you doing symptom wise?  Have you been working on any art projects lately?  

I wanted to thank you for your suggestion that I try the biotin for my hair loss.  I had actually been thinking about trying it and when you mentioned it I decided it was a good sign so have given it a go.  I just learned that it can help with muscle weakness, which I also happen to have, and it seems to be helping a bit with energy levels.  So far so good...though right now I'm only taking little amounts, just to make sure I can tolerate it. 

Edited by getofflex

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Unfolding sky, thanks for replying.  I am not yet done with my taper.  A little over 4 weeks ago, I tapered down to 0.2 ml/mg.  I didn't feel it much until 3 weeks into the taper!  This SSRI WD is the strangest thing I've ever encountered.  So from week 3 to week 4 I had lots of hot flashes, and trouble sleeping.  Fortunately I slept well last night.  I awoke once at 4:45 am and it took about 45 min to go back to sleep.  So I'm going to give it at least another week before I taper again, and make sure I have stabilized.  

I haven't had much time to paint.  Withdrawal from these drugs is a real b****.  

So how is the biotin working for you?  How are you doing otherwise?  

Edited by getofflex

• Moderator Emeritus

Got hit with a wave in the middle of the night.  I had continuous hot flashes for like 2 hours.  Even though my bedroom was about 65 degrees, I felt like I was in a sauna, so I was up most of the night.  It's been 4.5 weeks since my last taper.  I was hoping to taper again soon, but I don't know if I should or not.  It's all so unpredictable.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2020 at 9:17 AM, getofflex said:

Hello Unfolding sky, thanks for replying.  I am not yet done with my taper.  A little over 4 weeks ago, I tapered down to 0.2 ml/mg.  I didn't feel it much until 3 weeks into the taper!  This SSRI WD is the strangest thing I've ever encountered.  So from week 3 to week 4 I had lots of hot flashes, and trouble sleeping.  Fortunately I slept well last night.  I awoke once at 4:45 am and it took about 45 min to go back to sleep.  So I'm going to give it at least another week before I taper again, and make sure I have stabilized.  

Withdrawal from these drugs is a real b****.  

So how is the biotin working for you?  How are you doing otherwise?  

How have things been since you last posted? Is tapering still on hold?  I've been having some health problems that the doctors can't seem to pinpoint, I keep getting run out for tests, then the tests say I'm fine, then another doctor orders similar tests, saying the last one didn't know what they were doing..frankly I'm starting to feel like I'm being hounded by a bunch of blood thirsty mosquitoes! And getting increasingly frustrated not knowing what is going on exactly.  However, on the plus side, the biotin seems to be helping my energy levels which was something I didn't even know it could do.  And I read it can help muscle weakness, it seems to be doing that too. I can't thank you enough for bringing it up!  I was getting out of bed feeling so heavy and drained every day, now I feel much better in that regard most days.  I don't take it every day as it seems I don't need it every day, to feel a difference.  I also have noticed more recently that I'm not losing as much hair which I think may be due to iron intake being upped.  (I have been taking it longer than the biotin.)  I never thought I'd get to a point in my life where I was not losing that much hair but it seems to be happening. I really can't believe it!  Now I'm wishing I had started it like a decade ago. It makes me wonder how long I've been low, a doctor I just saw told me that while I was still in range I really was so low in the range that it was not good for me.  Well at any rate hopefully I'm not going to go bald or feel I have to buy a wig.

Oh and I had a lot of weepiness from withdrawal too. I tried to view it as releasing stored up emotions I had on the drugs that they kept me from feeling.  Over time it's gotten a lot better. I also made myself steer clear of depressing music as I initially was basically drawn to listening to it, finally had to say to myself you're making yourself worse in doing this.  Definitely felt a change for the better when i disciplined myself more!

And the hot flashes, I feel for you, you know i used to take a pill a long time ago, Zoloft, and it was giving me hot flashes at night too. It took me ages before I figured out the drug had been the cause.  (I thankfully didn't stay on that one very long though, so didn't have to deal with that for more than a month I think.)

Thinking of you, US

Edited by getofflex

• Moderator Emeritus

Unfolding sky thank you for responding to my post, and showing an interest in me.  

I'm in a wave right now.  I have insomnia, and anxiety, and many hot flashes, caused by both WD and menopause.  

I'm stressed by the fact that my elderly mother is doing poorly and needs help and care, and by a teen son who gets mouthy and disrespectful, my good friend Kelly is moving away in 2 months, among other things.  

I'm dealing with all this by leaning heavily on my Christian faith, praying, and going to bible studies.   

I think the hardest part of WD, at least for me personally, is having to deal with my emotions and life's problems head on with a drug to buffer things for me.  

I'm really glad to hear that the biotin is working so well for you!  I, too, get weepy at times, and also feel that it is stored emotions in me being released, which is a good thing. 

Edited by getofflex

On 3/3/2020 at 6:52 AM, getofflex said:

Unfolding sky thank you for responding to my post, and showing an interest in me.  

I'm in a wave right now.  I have insomnia, and anxiety, and many hot flashes, caused by both WD and menopause.  

I'm stressed by the fact that my elderly mother is doing poorly and needs help and care, and by a teen son who gets mouthy and disrespectful, my good friend Kelly is moving away in 2 months, among other things.  

I'm dealing with all this by leaning heavily on my Christian faith, praying, and going to bible studies.   

I think the hardest part of WD, at least for me personally, is having to deal with my emotions and life's problems head on with a drug to buffer things for me.  

I'm really glad to hear that the biotin is working so well for you!  I, too, get weepy at times, and also feel that it is stored emotions in me being released, which is a good thing. 

I'm sorry to hear about all the stressors, I had wondered how your Mom was doing. My mom isn't doing that great either.  Will keep you in my prayers as always along with your family.  US

Edited by getofflex

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks unfolding sky.  I'm a bit better as far as the wave is concerned.  I'm sleeping better (still not normally but better!) and the hot flashes aren't as bad.  How are you doing? 

• Moderator Emeritus

Can someone please help me here?  I'm at the end of a long slow taper from Lexapro.  I've been careful to taper slowly since I found this forum a year ago.  I'm currently at 0.2 mg/ml of liquid Lexapro.  I've been on this dose for 7 weeks, since Jan 18, and I still don't feel stabilized.  I've got a lot of external stressors I'm dealing with right now, and also a lot of emotions that the drug has been covering up are rising to the surface.  Some nights I sleep so so, and other nights I sleep badly.  Last night I slept poorly.  There is probably 1 day out of 20 or 30 days that I actually feel good.  I will say that I feel significantly better now than I did a year ago.  

Is tapering off SSRI's hardest at the end?  I would really appreciate some feedback here.  

Hi getofflex,

You sound perfectly normal!!

It is absurd how high receptor occupancy is at these low dosages.

I did some calculation for you according to my citalopram recptor occupancy vs daily dose graph.

Hold on....

The recptor occupancy @

0.2 mg = 5.84 %

0,23 mg = 6.66 %

This is a 12.5% decrease you made on Jan 19 2020.

The receptor occupancy reduction from 5 mg to 3.65 mg citalopram is.......12.5%.

This illustrates the enormously high potency of these meds at low dose.

I would say take it very slow. You have come so far. Just stabilize and tough it out.

It's completely normal since you probably have been sensitized in 2017 when you jumped from 80% to 0% and back to 70% back to 50% back to 30% and up to 50% occupancy all in 1 year!

I'm not trying to be a smart ass here but my feeling is that you are going to be just fine in a couple of months.

I'm talking about citalopram.and Lexapro is even stronger...

I'm not a medical professional, my calculations are based on the receptor occupancy graphs found online. However, I have 7 family members including myself who have a total of 150 years of antidepressant  experience and dealing with about 20 different substances.

Most of them(including myself) have been tapering too fast or not at all and jumped from 1 med to the other in utter despair.. be wise and do it slow.

Good luck and hang in there

Jozeff

Sep- 2016 - Okt 2017 citalopram some months 15 mg some months 20 mg

Nov 2017- Apr 2018 citalopram 25 mg

Apr 2018 -  Jun 2018 citalopram 3 month TAPER too fast  from 25mg to 16.5 mg (0.1 mg per day decrease, felt horrible and crashed)

Jun 2018 - Aug13th 2018 citalopram trying to stabilize at 16.5 mg for 5 wks

- August 14th 2018 - April 29th 2019  citalopram 18 mg (1.5 mg updose).

2019 apr 27 : START taper citalopram @ 18 mg: 29Jun 16.4 mg / 19aug 15.4 mg / 25aug 15.2 mg / 30sep 14.0 mg / 4dec 13.1 mg

2020  03Jan 12.75 mg / 28Jan 12.29 mg / 18Feb 11.83 mg, 25Feb 11.68 mg hold.. / 7May 11.33 mg hold...., 4Aug 10.98 mg / 5Dec 10.0 mg 4 month hold...

2021 30mar 9.8 mg / 06apr 9.5 mg /  13apr 9.4 mg / 14may 8,5 mg / 04jun 8,0 mg / 11jun 7.75 mg, 02jul 7.35 mg /  09jul 7.2 mg hold 3 weeks during holiday /31jul 7 mg/ 8aug 6.8 mg / 15aug 6.63mg / 22aug 6.5mg / 1sep 6.3 mg / 8sep 6.15 mg / 15sep 6.0 mg / 22sep 5.9 mg / 29sep 5.8 mg / 04 oct 5.65 mg / 10oct 5.55 mg / 17oct 5.45 mg / 24oct 5.35mg / 30oct 5.25 mg hold 3 wks / 22nov 5.15 mg / 01dec 5.1mg / 12dec 5.0mg / 20dec 4.85mg / 30dec 4.70mg

2022   08jan 4.5 mg / 16jan 4.4 mg / 23jan 4.3 mg / 27jan 4.2 mg / 18feb 4.1 mg / 25feb 4.0 mg / 04mar 3.9 mg / 11mar 3.75 mg / 18Mar 3.65 mg / 09apr 3.55 mg / 16apr 3.45 mg / 23apr 3.35 mg / 01may 3.25 mg / 8may 3.15 mg / 17may 3.10 mg / 28 may 3.0 mg / 7jun 2.94 mg / 18 Jun 2.88 mg / 27 jun 2.84 mg / 05 jul 2.80 mg / 16 jul 2.75 mg / 23 jul 2.70 mg / 01aug 2.65 mg / 09aug 2.60 mg hold 5wks / 18sep 2.55 mg / 25sep 2.5 mg /02oct 2.45 mg / 10oct 2.40 mg / 19oct 2.35 mg / 27oct 2.30 mg / 05nov 2.27 mg / 14nov 2.25 mg / 22nov 2.20 mg / 29nov 2.10mg / 09dec 2.05 mg / 15dec 2.0 mg 

2023  hold 2.0 mg for 5 months / 05may 1.95 mg / 14may 1.90 mg / 24may 1.87 mg / 02jun 1.85 mg / 17jun 1.82 mg / 27jun 1.79 mg / 07jul 1.75 mg / 31jul 1.72 mg / 12aug 1.69mg / 27aug 1.67 mg / 04sep 1.65 mg / 09sep 1.63 mg / 22sep 1.61 mg / 27sep 1.60 mg / 12oct 1.58 mg / 18oct 1.56 mg / 31oct 1.54 mg / 06nov 1.52 mg / 18nov 1.50 mg / 04dec 1.48 mg / 11dec 1.46 mg / 22dec 1.45 mg / 28dec 1.44 mg

2024 01jan 1.43 mg / 06jan 1.42 mg/ 10jan 1.40 mg hold /

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the analysis, Jozeff.  Yes, before I found this forum, I had no idea how to taper.  I tapered way too fast, then jumped back on.  

I'm going to go extremely slowly, even if it takes me another 6-12 months to get off this last little bit.  I hope my doctor cooperates.   It's tempting to rush it and just get off it already, but that would probably be unwise.  This Lexapro is an extremely potent drug!  

Edited by getofflex

On 3/6/2020 at 6:42 AM, getofflex said:

Thanks unfolding sky.  I'm a bit better as far as the wave is concerned.  I'm sleeping better (still not normally but better!) and the hot flashes aren't as bad.  How are you doing? 

I somehow missed your post. I've been better, just found out I have to have a root canal.  I've never had one before and they want me to take antibiotics, and having had such bad reactions to pills before I now can be very sensitive to pills...So I don't know what to do. 

Edited by getofflex

Wow Jozeff, seven members of your family are/were on antidepressants?

On 3/8/2020 at 8:51 AM, getofflex said:

Thanks for the analysis, Jozeff.  Yes, before I found this forum, I had no idea how to taper.  I tapered way too fast, then jumped back on.  

I'm going to go extremely slowly, even if it takes me another 6-12 months to get off this last little bit.  I hope my doctor cooperates.   It's tempting to rush it and just get off it already, but that would probably be unwise.  This Lexapro is an extremely potent drug!  

I think it's a wise idea to stay the course and not be tempted to jump off too soon.  I hope you stabilize soon! US

Edited by getofflex

• Moderator Emeritus
On 3/8/2020 at 2:29 PM, UnfoldingSky said:

I somehow missed your post. I've been better, just found out I have to have a root canal.  I've never had one before and they want me to take antibiotics, and having had such bad reactions to pills before I now can be very sensitive to pills...So I don't know what to do. 

I'm guessing that antibiotics won't have any effect on the nervous system.  

Edited by getofflex

• Moderator Emeritus
12 hours ago, jozeff said:

I would say take it very slow. You have come so far. Just stabilize and tough it out.

It's completely normal since you probably have been sensitized in 2017 when you jumped from 80% to 0% and back to 70% back to 50% back to 30% and up to 50% occupancy all in 1 year!

Jozeff

Jozeff, is being sensitized the same as kindling?  And if I'm experiencing kindling, I should probably be extremely cautious about ever getting on psych meds in the future, since a future withdrawal would be even worse?  

Also, I don't understand receptor occupancy and the numbers and percentages you quoted.  Can you please explain this in layman's terms?  

• Moderator Emeritus
On 3/8/2020 at 3:35 PM, getofflex said:

I'm guessing that antibiotics won't have any effect on the nervous system. 

Unfolding sky I asked my husband, and he said that antibiotics don't affect the nervous system at all.  

Edited by getofflex

On 3/9/2020 at 8:13 AM, getofflex said:

Unfolding sky I asked my husband, and he said that antibiotics don't affect the nervous system at all. 

Thank you! :)

Edited by getofflex

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Well I did a tiny taper 2.5 weeks ago, and I'm feeling it.  I went from 0.20 ml/mg liquid Lexapro to 0.18, which amounts to about 1 drop, or less.  I'm amazed at how powerful this stuff is, and how dependent I am on this drug.  My symptoms are major insomnia, diarrhea, agitation, irritability, hot flashes, forgetfulness, and feeling spacey.  I will stick with this, and wait it out.  It may take me a very long time to get off this last tiny little bit, and that is OK.  It is teaching me to be extremely patient and flexible.  It takes whatever it takes. 

Edited by getofflex

• Mentor

@getofflex

Yes these meds are powerful, but we are stronger 💪

Time and patience is the key I believe.

Take good care of yourself🙏

1999-2020  20 mg Paxil

Bridged with Fluoxetine to help me get off Paxil.

2022 Fluoxetine 15 mg 12/12 14mg 27/12  13mg jan 12mg feb 11mg mars 10mg, 9 mg 8,5 mg 7.6mg 7.0 mg 6,3 mg 5,6 mg 5,0 mg 4,5 mg 4,0 mg 3.6mg 3,2 mg 2,9 mg 2,6 mg 2,3 mg 2,0 mg

I am not a medical professional nor is this a medical advice. I only talk from my own experience.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hanna72, thanks for your support and encouragement.  Yes, I agree that time and patience is key. So  Is determination and endurance!  I'm starting to sleep better and feel better now. 

Edited by getofflex

• Moderator Emeritus

Can someone please help me?    I am currently at 0.18 mg/ml of liquid Lexapro.  I had a significant reaction when I reduced from 0.2 ml to 0.18 ml about 3.5 weeks ago.  I went almost a week of severe insomnia (2 - 3 hours a night), anxiety, irritability, fatigue, prickly tingly itchy sensations, and neuroemotions.  I'm not sure how I should proceed. I know I will proceed with much caution.  However, I'm at such a low dose.  I measured it in drops, and it is only 7 or 8 drop of liquid.  Previously, I was thinking of just reducing from 0.18 to 0.16, to 0.14, to 0.12 to 0.10, to 0.8, to 0.6 to 0.4 to 0.2 to 0.0.  However, this may be too severe.  

Would it be better to dilute the liquid lexapro with distilled water, and therefore be able to continue to make exponentially smaller tapers, even to minuscule amounts?  This could mean a couple more years before I get to zero, but it may be worth it to avoid feeling so bad.  

I have to say I'm under a lot of stress with the coronavirus lock down and paranoia, combined with having an angry and frustrated elderly mother trapped in lockdown in a retirement home, among other things.  

Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.  

Edited by getofflex

• Administrator
32 minutes ago, getofflex said:

Would it be better to dilute the liquid lexapro with distilled water

Yes, you can dilute the liquid. Look on the bottle, is the Lexapro liquid you have still good?

It appears you've been reducing too rapidly. How are you feeling now? Did the withdrawal symptoms go away?

You may wish to hold for a while, perhaps a couple of months, before making another decrease. This often happens in the last leg.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, altostrata.  I had waited 2.5 months from between my last 2 tapers, and felt good during the last 2 weeks of that time period, so I thought I was good to go.    I'm feeling better now than I did, but still not stable yet.  I'm going to hold here for a while.  My Lexapro  has an expiration date of Oct 2021, so it will be good for a while.  

Even if it takes me a long time to get off this last tiny bit, that is OK.  There is no deadline.  

Edited by getofflex

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I was feeling so good for a several weeks then BAM!!  I just got hit with a pretty nasty wave.  I have not slept at all since the night before last.  I'm feeling wired, anxious, angry, scared, tired, and depressed.  I've been taking good care of myself - I've been walking daily, keeping it simple, eating healthy, taking good nutritional supplements, pacing myself, etc. I got a nasty stomach bug, or food poisoning for a week, so I assume that is what triggered this wave.   Not to mention, just as we are coming out of COVID19 lockdown, we get hit with looting and rioting all around me.  I live in a major urban area.  We could actually hear it from our back porch last night, which was pretty unsettling.  

It is ironic that once I'm almost off the SSRI's, the world just seems to fall apart.  This AD WD is really like a roller coaster ride.  One minute, your soaring, and the next minute, you are crashing.  I haven't tapered in 2 months, and don't see how I can taper for a while.  I also have my sister moving here in a few days, and my son going off to college in August.  I should probably just hold for a while.  This taper is going ridiculously slowly, but I don't really have a choice, since I'm getting hit so hard with so many stressors in the past 6 months.  

I'm coping by increasing my time in prayer and bible study, slowing down and resting more, listening to relaxing music, and continuing my walks, and eating healthy.  I'm also pacing myself, and just doing the basic necessities of life.  I'm thankful for this forum, it has been a godsend.  

Edited by getofflex