SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Paul46: 15 months in tapering Prozac

Paul46

I sit here struggling with up n down anxiety and suicidal thoughts. I have ocd and was given 60mv of prozac after 17 years I wanted off. I had tried to get off a few times but cold turkey which led to me feeling like I'm going mad again. 

Anyway it's taken me 15 months to get to 40mg from 60 and the latest drop I did ha e struggled with I trusive thoughts again. I have just had 3 days riddled with anxiety and suicidal thoughts. It makes me panic and then I have get bad anxiety again. I start dou ting whether coming off the prozac is a good idea.  Ut then I go through a while when I feel OK. I believe this is happening as  its from my last taper. I feel like I want to cry and am a bit all over the place. I keep thinking it's gona be a nightmare when Im off them or if I can get off them. This is now new territory for me as I'm the lowest dose I ha e been for 18 years. Iv had brain zaps anxiety DP anger rage Intrusive thoughts in the last 15 months. Is this normal

Any help would be great 

Prozac 60mg

• ChessieCat changed the title to Paul46: 15 months in tapering Prozac
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Paul and welcome to SA,

How have you been tapering?  Are you skipping days?  Even though Prozac has a long half life skipping days to taper is not recommended.  The brain likes consistency.

If you are skipping days, then we need to know what dose you are taking and on which days you are taking it.  We can then work out what daily dose you could take.

So that we can see your drug history at a glance, please create your drug signature using the following format.   Keep it simple.  NO diagnoses or symptoms please - thank you.

• details for last 2 years - dates, ALL drugs, doses
  • summary for older than 2 years - just years and drug/s

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

Once we have the above details, we will be better able to offer suggestions.  This is your own introductions topic where your can ask questions about your own situation and journal your progress.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Just to clarify, we need to see the dates and doses of your Prozac reductions.  If you don't know the exact date, use early, mid, late, month name.

Prozac:  date, dose; date, dose; date, dose; etc

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

Please tell us how much you reduced by and when you made those reductions.

We need to know this information before we can assess your current situation.  Thank you.

OK 60mg of prozac for 18 years I dropped by 10% first time I found that to much that was vovember 17  then I dropped by 5%that was ok Jan 18 then March  18 then dropped uptil sept 18. Then I did. My last drop last week and it I gave myself a few

Months to stable and this drop of 10%has hit me hard 

Prozac 60mg

To be honest it's like iv woken up and all my senses are heightened. Wana cry then don't. Bad anxiety then not. Suicidal thoughts then not. Utter fear then not. It's getting me down I just don't fill right. Like I don't fit in. I'm nervous then not. I just hope this is withdrawals and not another full on breakdown coming along. I reinstated by 0.5ml so I'm now at10. 05ml which in mg is 42mgfrom 60 but as. I said its taken me a hellf a long time to get here. The only reason why I'm coming off them is after seeing my doctor I asked him is there such a thing as a chemical imbalance and he said No. So I said I want to come off them. Now in 1999i had a breakdown and this led to an a cute OCD pure o breakout. And really since then iv had about 3/4 bouts per year. On top of that the prozac got me in a mess and I started drinking heavy and using drug but thankfully I'm now 12 years clean and sober this year

Prozac 60mg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi iv been on prozac for 16 years. I was originally given 60mg for ocd. Over that time I have decided to taper off with my doctors permission. I have done 5%taper every 6 weeks I got to 44 mg in October n stayed there. I tapered again 3 weeeeks ago but tapered 10%to 40mg and iv had 3 weeks from hell. I went n see doctor who reinstated me back to 46mg but I'm having really bad suicidal thoughts real low mood and really tired. Any help would be great thanks

Prozac 60mg

A moderator will be with you shortly to provide you with some useful information. Your central nervous system is reacting to the changes you have made. I wouldn’t make any more changes until you talk with a moderator. They know all about the effects you are experiencing.

Citalopram: 2011

Sertraline February: 2013-November 2013

Escitalopram January: 2014-August 2014

Escitalopram November: 2014-January 2016

Venlafaxine: April 2016-January 2018 (8 month taper included)

• Administrator

Hello, Paul, here's your Intro topic.

When did you reduce to 40mg? What were your symptoms afterward?

When did you go up to 46mg? How did your symptoms pattern change?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

hi paul, sorry to hear you're having such a hard time. i have pure 0 as well and i'm trying to learn how to deal with the obsessions without prozac. good luck with your taper xx 

Took prozac 40 mg for 20 years.

January 2017 started cutting down prozac by 12.5% a week. End of February 2017 completely off prozac and withdrawals began.

Currently taking Levothyroxine 75 mcg, Magnesium citrate 200mg,Sage leaf 50mg daily

Amlodipine: October 2017 , discontinued 26 Feb 2019; Candesartan:  26 Feb 2019, 4mg.

Discontinued magnesium citrate 200mg Apr 3rd 2019

Reinstated prozac:  14 Jan 2019, 1mg; 26 Jan, 1.5mg; 4 Feb, 2mg; 16 Feb, 2.5mg; 2 Mar, 3mg; 5 Mar, 2.5mg, 23 Mar, 3 mg; 6 Apr, 3.5mg, 14 Apr 4mg, 23 Apr 5mg, 10 Jul 8mg, 1 Dec 20mg, 1 Apr 2020 40mg 

The central. Nervous system? Sounds scary. To be honest its been a tuff few weeks. My doctor told me to go back upto 46mg as he said its withdrawals. I'm 3 days into 46 again so I can just hope that it will get better soon. But it's been bleak. 

Prozac 60mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Prozac is a drug with a long half life.  It might take about 1 week for you to start feeling the effect of the updose.