getofflex

Splenda artificial sweetner - insomnia?

getofflex

I'm a member of a weight loss group. I've suffered with severe insomnia for months, which I assumed was due to my tapering off of Lexapro. However, my good TOPS friend just said that Splenda can cause insomnia.  I looked it up on google, and did find several articles concurring with this.  Now I need to quit Splenda and other artificial sweeteners.  

My question: is it safe or advisable to just quit Splenda and other artificial sweeteners cold turkey while I'm tapering off of my Lexapro?  I really would like to resolve this insomnia, but am afraid that quitting Splenda cold turkey could worsen my withdrawals.  What are your recommendations for what to do about Splenda?   Jennifer

ChessieCat

artificial-sweeteners-phenylalanine-sorbitol-etc

And a couple of things I found when I googled survivingantidepressants.org splenda:

On 5/19/2013 at 8:12 PM, Petunia said:

Several months ago, I stopped all artificial sweeteners, thinking that it would help my recovery and healing. I have used equal and splenda in drinks for years and often drank pepsi max. Now, after reading through a thread here and following some of the links, I think I might also be detoxing from aspartame.

I couldn't find any information about how long aspartame withdrawal can last, its been over 6 months that I haven't had any. Although about a month ago I suddenly got a craving for some pepsi max and decided to try a little to see what happened. I poured a little bit in the bottom of a glass and tasted it, it tasted like metallic chemical poison, I took another sip to make sure I wasn't imagining it - I wasn't. Then I threw the rest out. About 20 minutes later, I got stomach cramps.

On 1/14/2015 at 1:04 AM, luv2knit said:

I know sometimes it's just part of the pattern, but I'm always trying to determine if something has caused these setbacks. Here's what happened yesterday... Anybody think it could be related? Our daughter got my husband a Keurig for Christmas. He wanted to order K-Cups online, and knowing I'm not drinking coffee or tea right now, he wanted to order something I could drink. I will drink an occasional hot chocolate here with the cold weather, so he ordered some hot cocoa. We checked the sugar content, and it was pretty low. Our daughter was over, they were having coffee, and I was doing pretty well, so I decided to try a cocoa. Based on the sugar content, I was expecting it to not be very sweet, because I know he would not get anything with artificial sweetener. Well I took a sip, and it was pretty good--not as "unsweet" as I was expecting for 6g of sugar. I took another sip or two, and said, "Are you sure this doesn't have artificial sweetener in it?". It didn't taste like it, but tasted like more than 6g of sugar. My daughter went to check, and yelled out from the kitchen, "Don't drink any more of it!" Then she came in and said that sucralose (Splenda) was pretty low down on the list. It already seemed to me that my feet were starting to "buzz". I thought maybe I was imagining it, and it would go away, but my symptoms have kept getting worse since then. Seriously?! Three or four small sips of something with sucralose low down on the list of ingredients... Really?! I just don't know. Obviously I'm not drinking any more, but has anyone had this type of reaction to something like this? (I do not have this kind of reaction to an occasional cup of cocoa without sucralose.) Incidentally, apparently ALL the cocoa K-Cups have sucralose in them

getofflex

Thanks for the information.  I would like to quit Splenda CT, but am worried it will worsen my WD symptoms.  I will either taper off Splenda, or go off cold turkey. 

ChessieCat

If you are consuming a lot of it I think I would go the cautious route and taper it.  It will also be easier to transition to the different taste, either of using sugar or reducing the sweetness of food.

getofflex

I'm not consuming very much of it.  I have cut way back.  I did have a muffin this morning that I baked with Splenda, but that was it.  Let's see what happens tonight.