☼ Katy398: I’ve tapered too quickly, what should I do?

Katy398

Thank you @Leila, @mstimc, @Johni and Chessie Cat. I really appreciate your time and consideration. Yet another strategy,  anxiety adopts to ‘try’ and to take control hey,  The epitome of

‘kicking someone when they’re down.’  

After the intensity of a said symptom subsides,  I often imagine  the referencing  in my success story ......and then one day I realised I’d listened to a whole album, filled  with those old, warm, joyful memories !!! .....

Take care folks,  we will all get through this and write that  Success Story! 

Lexapro Fast Track/ Cold Turkey

Last dose end Dec 2018 

Tapered 1/2 a daily dose a week (20mg) for  14 weeks, last dose was a 20 mg pill!!  

3.5 times slower than Psychiatrist recommended, I felt proud of myself!! Little did I know!!!!Got too scared to reinstate because I’d left it too long.

On ADs for 20 years (Prozac approx 10 years/ Pristiq approx 3 years/ Citalipram approx 2 years/. Lexapro a approx  5 years/. Last two years 40mgs Lexapro day.

• 2 months later...

_I just wanted to say that my  2 year anniversary is today!!!.  For any Lexapro/ Escitalopram sufferers I wanted to share that there is light.  I am definitely healing. It’s not  time for a success story yet,  it’s slow but reflecting on my 2019 Christmas/ New Years Eve  I can see my symptoms are definitely less intense.

We will get there,  maybe not as quick as we would like but I have absolute faith that we will all heal in time, 

Best wishes K 

Last dose end Dec 2018 

Tapered 1/2 a daily dose a week (20mg) for  14 weeks, last dose was a 20 mg pill!!  

3.5 times slower than Psychiatrist recommended, I felt proud of myself!! Little did I know!!!!Got too scared to reinstate because I’d left it too long.

On ADs for 20 years (Prozac approx 10 years/ Pristiq approx 3 years/ Citalipram approx 2 years/. Lexapro a approx  5 years/. Last two years 40mgs Lexapro day.

• Moderator Emeritus

Yay Katy398!  That's good news, and good update.

Which symptoms are less intense?

Balloons and confetti, and into 2021......very soon!  Best.

🤗

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

(may I do the honors, and add a sun symbol yet?)

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Mentor

Great news Katy!  So glad to hear you're doing so well.  Congratulations!!

Tim C

Started Paxil for GAD in 1999

Unsuccessful taper attempt in 2006

Paxilprogress helped with a successful taper completed in 2009

Using therapy and CBT to manage my anxiety

Thank you MMT and Mstimc, You’ve been so wonderfully supportive over the last two years. I hope I step into that ‘3rd year of intensive healing’ that some people talk about. You do such an amazing job on this site. I am so grateful. Warm Regards to you both Kx

Last dose end Dec 2018 

great to read about year 2 progress katy! intensive healing can be a choice. for me it was choosing the right support and cutting out toxic energy in my life. that allowed me to focus on some past due work that got put on hold during WD. i'm not sure what intensive healing will look like for you but the fact that you're thinking about it means it's probably going to happen soon 😉 

Drug history:

Sertraline 50 mg (Nov 2018 - Apr 2019)

Sertraline 25 mg (May 2019 - July 2019)

Seroquel, partial pills at night for 2 weeks (July 2019)

Lamotrogine 100 mg (July 2019 - Sept 2019, ended w/ fast taper) 

significant WD symptoms until march 2020

severe long covid april 2020 - feb 2021

gaining health ever since....

• Moderator Emeritus

Because you're feeling better, I added our cheerful "here comes the sun" symbol ☼ to the title of your Intro topic, to show you're recovering.

Please continue to let us know how you're doing. I hope you will add your story to our Recovery Success Stories eventually!

Oh Katy398, that was fun.  And I accidentally added 2, so had to do some magic to get it back down to one.

Congrats on your sun symbol.......Let it shine, shine, shine.  I know it's still tough, but look how far you've come now, and hold on, because it does get better.  This healing thing sure takes time sometimes.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
purple

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• manymoretodays changed the title to ☼ Katy398: I’ve tapered too quickly, what should I do?
  • 1 month later...

Thank you @Ballardbeerand @manymoretodaysI’ll have to look at my notifications for some reason, I’m not getting replies to my own introduction. 

I have had a major setback. I had a very stressful event at work which seems to have triggered a relapse in recovery. My daily morning cortisol rushes have gone back to high intensity.  I’m having high anxiety spikes throughout each day again, I’ve lost motivation again, my facial tick has come back,  to be honest the list goes on and on. I feel like I’m back in the first year of WD ‘again’ . 

That generic  question continues to arise. IS THIS NORMAL? I know there’s no pattern but does anyone have any experience of this. I’m hoping it’s a blip and I’ll be back on track again but I fear I’m back to square one ( maybe two) and have to do the journey again. 

Any thoughts or insight would be gratefully appreciated. 

Warm Regards K

Last dose end Dec 2018 

• Mentor

Hi Katy

Short-term setbacks are very typical.  Its perfectly normal to feel you've "slipped back" to being in full-blown  WD symptomology.  That actually happened to me a few years ago after a stressful encounter in a supermarket of all places.  My therapist had to remind me that I was able to rebound a lot faster than I did during WD and recovery, and that I could see it for what it was.  Trigger events may come up, but its not a "forever" thing and its doesn't mean you have to start all over again.  It really is a temporary blip and you'll be back on track before you know it.  

Tim C

Thank you so much @mstimc that’s just what I needed to hear, word for word!!! Just a blip, just a blip. I must remember, it’s so easy for my repairing  brain to forget things. I hope you are well and that Covid in Portugal is improving. 

Take care,  Warm Regards K

Last dose end Dec 2018 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/2/2021 at 6:05 PM, Katy398 said:

I’m hoping it’s a blip and I’ll be back on track again

@Katy398

Hi! Just wanted to let you know you are not alone. I've been experiencing the odd "blip" (horrible anxiety, cortisol spikes) myself over the past weeks and I'm 40 months out 😳 And up until recently I had been feeling so much better! This really is some roller coaster ride. Just try and take it in your stride and you will soon be back on track 😉

Effexor XR 75mg 1997-2012 

Effexor XR 37.5mg 2012-2017 (tapered off over six months - finished taper July 2017)

SCA Aug 12th, 2017

Cymbalta 30mg Aug 2017 - Nov 2017 (CT Nov. 17th for medical reasons)

Metoprolol 50mg Aug 2017 - Feb 2019 tapered down to 25mg June 2019 then tapered down to zero. Off Metoprolol as of Jan 2020        

Amiodarone (anti-arrhythmic med) 200mg Nov 2017- May 2018

Supplements: Omega 3, vitamin D3, magnesium

What helps me: Manual lymphatic drainage massage, acupressure, meditation, homeopathy (my psychiatrist is also a certified homeopath), a healthy diet when possible organic, yoga, walking my dogs every day and gardening.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you @gentlehermionefor your kind words. I’m sorry you’ve hit another wave, I had hoped this would soon be behind us, I hope your ‘blip’ moves on soon. 40 months!!! Oh my word. 🙏

Last dose end Dec 2018 

• 2 months later...

I know I will have asked this before but  not sure if things change the longer one is drug free. At 31 months without any antidepressants (!Fast track taper from 40 mgs Lexapro). How dangerous is it to reinstate and what is the procedure if it doesn’t work? I’m very frightened of getting worse but I’m not sure I can continue with these debilitating waves. 

Last dose end Dec 2018 

I'm so sorry to hear you're still getting those nasty waves. Are they lasting long or getting more severe? Can you think back and see any glimmer of improvement to encourage you to keep going? You've come soooo far 💖💖 especially from such a high dose. 

I can't give you any advice on reinstatement but I hope an admin will jump in with that 

Lexapro 10MG

Almost continually for 25 odd years 

Reduced to 5MG beginning July 2018-  end August 2018

August 2018 til now off completely 

Thank you so much for getting back @NevertoolateTo be honest it’s hard to see any perspective when in the thick of a wave. I feel back to the beginning so frightened. I did see some improvements earlier in the year but this one is a stress induced wave. The stress has passed but the wave remains. Sorry to revert to the generic question. Is this normal? I know stress induces waves but why?  And why does the wave continue? 

Last dose end Dec 2018 

I think it's perfectly normal what you're experiencing. You're brain and nervous system is trying to find its way back to pre-drug status. Anything can throw it out of balance I believe but you will get there. One day you suddenly think oh yeah that symptom has gone! 

Lexapro 10MG

Almost continually for 25 odd years 

Reduced to 5MG beginning July 2018-  end August 2018

August 2018 til now off completely 

katy i can definitely imagine what you are going through is somewhat predictable. 20 years twisting your CNS to the will of a pill... it'll take some time to unwind and find stasis. not sure this helps but i found a lot of relief last year in vagus nerve therapy (google vagus nerve reset and exercises, also just generally yawning is awesome), along with big doses of fish oil, and the best diet i could possibly manage. drug free is definitely the way! the body has amazing healing power.

Drug history:

Sertraline 50 mg (Nov 2018 - Apr 2019)

Sertraline 25 mg (May 2019 - July 2019)

Seroquel, partial pills at night for 2 weeks (July 2019)

Lamotrogine 100 mg (July 2019 - Sept 2019, ended w/ fast taper) 

significant WD symptoms until march 2020

severe long covid april 2020 - feb 2021

gaining health ever since....

Thank you @Ballardbeer, It makes such a difference just having someone encourage me in this way. ‘. ‘The Will of the Pill’ hey! When in the thick of a wave it’s hard to imagine this broken brain can heal, but when I get encouragement like this I get motivated to put my head down and soldier on. Thanks again, it means so much,  I’ll do more research. 😶 

Last dose end Dec 2018 

• Moderator Emeritus

I just wanted to encourage you @Katy398.  I also did a fast taper of Lexapro back in 2017 and 2018, until I found this forum.  I was also on Lexapro for 16 years when I started my taper.  I've slowly gotten better, so I believe you will too!  Keep up the good work! I know how discouraging and frustrating those waves can feel.  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

Thank you @getofflexIt helps to know there is someone else in the same boat sailing these rocky waters with me. These waves are terrifying when in a boat alone. Thank you for being there. 

Last dose end Dec 2018 

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello @Katy398

How are you doing ?

I've been a huge admirer of your strenght during this journey, I wanted to send you my support.

I do strongly hope this year brings you some peace.

I often remind a post you made about a number of waves, each wave meaning there was one less to go through...well that was a huge post for me and I often use this idea : thank you dear inspirational soul ❤

Sending you my very best wishes !

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @Erell,

Thank you so much for dropping by, it means a lot. This journey  can still feel quite lonely. I’m actually doing ok. Out of my last wave and now back to WD normal. My waking anxiety has reduced from being daily for 2.5 years to maybe 3/4 times a week which is such a welcomed shift. It rekindled my faith in recovery, I look back and can see such progress. I’m not quite at the stage of writing a success  story but I don’t think it’s far away. It feels like my symptoms ‘flare up’ these days rather than grip me on and off throughout each day.  That life of terror now feels like episodes. 
Thanks again @Erellfor your kindness. How are you doing? 

Last dose end Dec 2018 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello @Katy398

Well to be honest not very good, it seems that I'm not the "window type" so I'm more in a constant wave with moments "somehow more bearable" since 16 months.

BUT stories like yours give me a lot of hope ! 

I'm truly happy to read you are seeing progress : what a path you've walked, and with so much strenght, you deserve peace ❤

Sending many healing vibes your way!

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• 2 weeks later...

@AltostrataI finally found a psychiatrist who believes wholeheartedly in antidepressants withdrawal but he insists that the inner agitation, terror and restlessness that I still experience periodically now  (2.5 years out after a cold turkey) is not akathisia because it is not accompanied with a movement disorder.
Why is this?  

Is there any official medical documentation I can send him to convince him otherwise?

It seems ironic that I finally find someone who acknowledges WD yet does not understand the most challenging of all symptoms. A fellow SA friend once said she wished ever single MD  could experience just 5 mins of akathisia to gain some idea of what many of us go through day in day out. Any ideas anyone, I’ve sent him the Rxisk article but haven’t found another as good. 

Last dose end Dec 2018 

• Administrator

You do not need to get this psychiatrist to agree you have akathisia in order to work with him.

A diagnosis of akathisia will not get you any closer to effective treatment.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I know  I don’t ‘need to’ get the psychiatrist to agree on the definition and I’m not looking for a diagnosis. All I want is to find a way to explain that this is so much more than anxiety and depression so that he has some understanding of what I’m going through.   Giving it the label of anxiety just doesn’t fit the bill.

The definition seems to have changed over the years. Akathisia means ‘never sitting down’  it’s still often described as a movement disorder.

Is there an official label I give to this symptom of inner agitation restlessness and sometimes absolute overwhelming  terror.

I’m confused is this akathisia or not? 

Last dose end Dec 2018 

• Moderator Emeritus

@Katy398it is frustrating when someone who is supposed to know about withdrawal doesn't get what we are going through, especially something as severe as akathisia.  I'm sorry you are having to deal with this. Here are some threads that may help you. 

This one talks about akathisia versus restlessness.  Hopefully it will help you determine whether or not you suffer from akathisia.

Akathisia vs Restlessness, Anxiety, and Agitation

Here is a thread that helps know how to talk to our doctors about withdrawal.  It has some printable leaflets to share with doctors.  I know you doctor already knows about WD, but perhaps something here will shed more light on it and further educate him/her.  

How to Talk to Doctor About Tapering and Withdrawal

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

• Moderator Emeritus

Prior 4 posts moved from thread "Blog: My akathisia experience by akathisiainfo".  Please keep all questions and discussion about your personal situation in this one thread to minimize confusion and avoid duplication of effort.  Thank you.   

• Administrator

@Katy398 are you saying he doesn't think you can have withdrawal symptoms for this long? Show him

Hengartner, M. P., Schulthess, L., Sorensen, A., & Framer, A. (2020). Protracted withdrawal syndrome after stopping antidepressants: A descriptive quantitative analysis of consumer narratives from a large internet forum. Therapeutic Advances in Psychopharmacology. https://doi.org/10.1177/2045125320980573

Framer, A. (2021). What I have learnt from helping thousands of people to taper off antidepressants and other psychotropic medications. Therapeutic Advances in Psychopharmacology. https://doi.org/10.1177/2045125321991274

Whatever you want to call it, has he suggested any treatments? Do you want him to treat it or are you looking for a diagnosis for insurance etc.?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

No @Altostratahe does believes in withdrawal, even protracted.
I am confused about the symptoms of Akathisia. He says it’s a movement disorder and I don’t have movement attached to symptoms.
The Rxisk definition of akathisia states that movement can be present but not always, other definitions say it’s primarily a movement disorder caused by  the inner restless.  
I have periods of deep inner restlessness, fear and absolute terror, which then lead to suicide ideation. I refuse to label this as anxiety or depression,  it so much more. I want to know what to call this symptom.  Is it akathisia or not. I called it akathisia because I followed the Rxisk definition now I think I might be wrong. 

Last dose end Dec 2018 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello @Katy398

I see that you're confused about wether you're suffering from akathisia or not.

I understand : the states we go through during WD can be so intense, we are looking for words to share with others a bit of our load, words that can help one understand that one is not alone, that others have had similar experiences and that these experiences can be named and described.

But at the end of the day, the words are only words. The psychiatrist you talk about, even if he does believe in withdrawal, cannot understand these states if he didn't experience them, he cannot feel them, so all he has to try to understand your situation are words.

And the only words he has to describe your feelings are « depression » and « anxiety ».

I understand the frustration, very well, but I don't think you'll find an « official label » for what you're experiencing as long as WD syndrome is largely denied.

One of the main goals of medical science has been to identify and classify experiences, with the hope that a better understanding of the different types of affliction may lead to increased efficiency when it comes to personalizing treatments.
I won't go into the details of all the failures of this system in the field of psychiatry, you already know that too well.
But if you're looking for an official label, the best we can offer, in my opinion, is : you are going through WD symptoms that are the expression of a destabilised nervous system suffering from dysautonomia after a too-fast taper from powerful psychdrugs.
And this condition can manifest itself through feelings of terror/restlessness.

Perhaps you can see this as a part of the « un-patienting » process : let's give ourselves the freedom to get rid of the vocabulary of psychiatry if it weighs us down, and to stop identifying ourselves systematically with these labels. Let's also give ourselves the freedom to use the words that help us to name and describe our experiences.

You're not alone Katy398. You're part of a community that understands EXACTLY what you mean when you talk about a mix of restlessness/terror/absolute need to jump out of your skin. You can share your load with us, others have had similar experiences and if using the word akathisia helps you to name and describe your feelings, if this word helps you to go through this journey, then you are legitimate to use it.

You are telling me that you're suffering from intense spike of akathisia during this windows and waves process of healing from WD syndrome ? I do believe you, and I know what you mean.

And those who walked this path before us prove us that, one day, the words we used to describe WD belong to the past and can only be used to evoke distant memories

I send you big hugs ❤️ 

Edited by Erell

Current medication :

• Mentor

@Erell, you've expressed WD perfectly! There is much wisdom in what Erell says, Katy.  Words can only approximate our experience.   Describing and understanding symptoms is valuable,  but so is how we act in managing them.  You, like so many others,  can recover.  It takes time, the right tools and above all patience,  but you can do it!

Tim C

Thank you so much @Erellfor your time, support and kind words. I know I’m understood by our community. It’s the fact that I am understood by so many that unquestionably confirms  that this is WD. 
It’s tragic that one has to experience it to understand it. Most medical conditions don’t have to be experienced by an MD in order to be understood. But it’s where we’re at and acceptance is definitely one of the keys to recovery. 

I know words and labels do not help recovery.  Non the less the term akathisia will always confuse me whilst  one website states categorically it’s a movement disorder as it’s name suggests and then anther claims  it’s an “emotional  state caused by over 100 different drugs”   And I quote “ is often misleadingly described as a movement disorder.”

Anyway in this wave I stay until it decides to move on. It’s one more wave closer to recovery and as someone once said it can be viewed as  a time where deep healing  is taking place. At 32 months off Lexapro I know the drill all  too well,I practice acceptance,   I know this will pass, distraction will help, as will some talk therapy. Let’s hope we’re talking days for this one not weeks!! Thanks again Erell, Ho hum! Don’t forget to take good  care of yourself. Warm Regards K

Last dose end Dec 2018 

Thanks for dropping in  @mstimc, hope all’s well with you. I know I’ll get there eventually, and that this too will pass.  I’ve been here so many times before. 
I was just was interested in how others on SA defined akathisia,

Is it a movement disorder or an emotional  state that sometimes includes movement?

But it really doesn’t matter  if I don’t get a straight answer. Conflicting definitions are annoying admittedly, I don’t want to use an incorrect term but quite frankly  I’ve got much more to contend with at this precise moment than the definition of a word. Either way I’m in a wave and must ride it as best I can. Take care, hope all’s going well with you. Thanks again K

Last dose end Dec 2018 

• Mentor

@Katy398, I have a personal and wholly unscientific theory about the physical symptoms that plague us during WD.  I think anxiety finds your body's weaknesses and exploits them to gain power.  When I was younger, I managed to injure my ab muscles and rib area more than once.  When I have periods of high anxiety, such as when I was in full WD, my flanks constantly hurt.  All my tests came out fine.  Now, whenever that happens for no apparent reason, I assess the state of my stress and use some management techniques to get back in balance.  Pretty soon, the pain fades.  It may be the same for symptoms like akathisia.

Tim C

@mstimc i believe it 

2021:  started celexa 10mg feb 2nd 

feb 25th took my last 10g; feb 26th 5mg; feb 27th 5mg; feb 28th 2021 cold turkey 

currently taking mag