☼ Katy398: I’ve tapered too quickly, what should I do?

Katy398

I was on 40 mgs Lexapro.

started on 20 mgs then increased over 5 years. 

Have been on various antidepressants for over 20 years.

Seeing a Homeopath and trialing remedies.

Told by Psychiatrist reduce 20 mgs a week.

Frightened by all withdrawal horror stories.

Have to work to pay mortgage.

Suffering from discontinuation Syndrome.

-suicidal thoughts

- brain fog

- anxiety

- panic attacks

-stomach upsets

- debilitating lack of concentration

- constant fear of living

My family are supporting me

Dont want to go back on meds but scared this may continue for years. 

Any advice welcome.

Edited by manymoretodays
had to remove an extra Sun Symbol

Lexapro Fast Track/ Cold Turkey

Last dose end Dec 2018 

Tapered 1/2 a daily dose a week (20mg) for  14 weeks, last dose was a 20 mg pill!!  

3.5 times slower than Psychiatrist recommended, I felt proud of myself!! Little did I know!!!!Got too scared to reinstate because I’d left it too long.

On ADs for 20 years (Prozac approx 10 years/ Pristiq approx 3 years/ Citalipram approx 2 years/. Lexapro a approx  5 years/. Last two years 40mgs Lexapro day.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Katy398: I’ve tapered to quickly, what should I do?
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Katy and welcome to SA,

To start you off we need your drug history so that we can offer suggestions based on your individual situation.

Please create your drug signature using the following format.   Keep it simple.  NO diagnoses or symptoms please - thank you.

• details for last 2 years - dates, ALL drugs, doses
  • summary for older than 2 years - just years and drug/s

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

Once we have more details we will be better able to assist you.

This is your own introductions topic where your can ask questions about your own situation and journal your progress.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

SA recommends tapering by no more than 10% of the current dose followed by a hold of about 4 weeks to allow the brain to adapt to not getting as much of the drug.  Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

If we stop the drug too quickly we can experience withdrawal symptoms:  Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

The only known way to reduce withdrawal symptoms is to reinstate the drug that your brain has adapted to.  Reinstatement usually works best within a few months of stopping the drug.  It depends on when you last took the drug, how you stopped the drug and what doses you were taking what dose would we suggest to reinstate.  We can make a suggestion once we have the details ask for in the previous post.  Please read Post #1 of this topic:  About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

This topic explains how to get the dose you need:  Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

I will provide some more information in the next post.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

Here's some additional information which might help you to understand what is happening:

Recovery isn't linear it happens in a Windows and Waves Pattern

Withdrawal Normal Description

When we take a psychiatric drug, we are adding chemical/s to the brain.  The brain then has to change to adapt to getting the chemical/s.  It might have to change something to do with A and then once that change has been made it affects B so another change has to be made and so on down the line.  It is a chain reaction, a domino effect.

The same thing happens when we take the drug away.  That's why it's possible to experience such a vast array of withdrawal symptoms, and they can change, and be of different intensity.

are-we-there-yet-how-long-is-withdrawal-going-to-take

These explain it really well:

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

On 8/31/2011 at 5:28 AM, Rhiannon said:

When we stop taking the drug, we have a brain that has designed itself so that it works in the presence of the drug; now it can't work properly without the drug because it's designed itself so that the drug is part of its chemistry and structure. It's like a plant that has grown on a trellis; you can't just yank out the trellis and expect the plant to be okay. When the drug is removed, the remodeling process has to take place in reverse. SO--it's not a matter of just getting the drug out of your system and moving on. If it were that simple, none of us would be here. It's a matter of, as I describe it, having to grow a new brain. I believe this growing-a-new-brain happens throughout the taper process if the taper is slow enough. (If it's too fast, then there's not a lot of time for actually rebalancing things, and basically the brain is just pedaling fast trying to keep us alive.) It also continues to happen, probably for longer than the symptoms actually last, throughout the time of recovery after we are completely off the drug, which is why recovery takes so long.

AND

On 12/4/2015 at 2:41 AM, apace41 said:

Basically- you have a building where the MAJOR steel structures are trying to be rebuilt at different times - ALL while people are coming and going in the building and attempting to work.

It would be like if the World Trade Center Towers hadn't completely fallen - but had crumbled inside in different places.. Imagine if you were trying to rebuild the tower - WHILE people were coming and going and trying to work in the building!  You'd have to set up a temporary elevator - but when you needed to fix part of that area, you'd have to tear down that elevator and set up a temporary elevator somewhere else. And so on. You'd have to build, work around, then tear down, then build again, then work around, then build... ALL while people are coming and going, ALL while the furniture is being replaced, ALL while the walls are getting repainted... ALL while life is going on INSIDE the building. No doubt it would be chaotic. That is EXACTLY what is happening with windows and waves.  The windows are where the body has "got it right" for a day or so - but then the building shifts and the brain works on something else - and it's chaos again while another temporary pathway is set up to reroute function until repairs are made.  

Hi @Katy398, Welcome to SA.   Take a deep breath and hang on.   The mods here can help you.    I suggest you read carefully the info they provide and list your drug history. You will feel better.   

Hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg, Multi vit., Calcium, D3,  Magnesium, Fish Oil, Melatonin,  Ambien 3.3 mg 1 or 2X/mo.  Benadryl-seldom, .......2002 - eliminated alcohol

2002- Paxil - 20 mg (3 WD attempts: 2005, 2008, 2010)

2011 - 30 mg 

2018 - 40 mg- Sept to Nov} {Dec - 37.5}

Jan 2, 2019 - 35 mg

Jan 11 -  33.75 mg

Jan 28 - 32.5 mg

Feb 4 -  33.75 mg 

Mar 4 - 32 mg

Mar 30 - 30 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Katy, 

I’m so sorry that you’re struggling so much. Would be so kind and fill in your drug signature. Just press on the signature link. Thank you. 

I know you are struggling and you’re scared, but our brains have an amazing capacity to heal. Please check out some of the links ChessieCat gave you. 

When did you go off the medication? I’m gathering you’re not on them anymore. 

Sending hugs🤗

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• 3 months later...

Hi I’m quite new to this site. I didn’t know where to post this so I started a new thread, but I need some advice.

I’m 6 months antidepressant free ( 40 mgs Lexapro per day) 

I tapered too fast due to ignorance

(20 mgs per week for 14 weeks) but  this taper was much slower than Psychiatrist recommended. Was on antidepressants drugs for 20 years (Prozac approx 10 years.  Pristiq approx 3 years, Citalipram approx 2 years.  Lexapro approx 5 years.)

Many symptoms over last 6 months but NOW EXTREME ANXIETY is my biggest challenge. I have many other challenges which are very unpleasant but I can endure.

-exercise

- homeopathic remedies

- mindfulness 

-supplements Bs, D, acidophilus, fish oil.

- no sugar/low carb diet.

might be helping me, how do I know??!!

MY QUESTION IS:-

1) Do I go back on antidepressants (maybe Prozac) and start from the beginning again ( this feels like wasting 6 months of effort) 

2) Or do I continue as I am and hope anxiety improves. 

I know we are all going through this in very different ways but does anyone have any experience with either options.

Could it be a similar time frame anyway

say a year tapering off Prozac with less symptoms or a year with this anxiety, which I don’t think I can do.

I did read somewhere that even a single dose of Prozac can help. 

Any advice/ experience would be greatly appreciated. 

Edited by ChessieCat
resized font

Last dose end Dec 2018 

Tapered 1/2 a daily dose a week (20mg) for  14 weeks, last dose was a 20 mg pill!!  

3.5 times slower than Psychiatrist recommended, I felt proud of myself!! Little did I know!!!!Got too scared to reinstate because I’d left it too long.

On ADs for 20 years (Prozac approx 10 years/ Pristiq approx 3 years/ Citalipram approx 2 years/. Lexapro a approx  5 years/. Last two years 40mgs Lexapro day.

• Moderator Emeritus

Please see the previous information which was provided above.

9 minutes ago, Katy398 said:

supplements Bs

Some members find B vitamins activating, especially Vitamin B6.

Q:  Do you drink alcohol and/or beverages containing caffeine?

alcohol-and-beer

caffeine-in-coffee-or-tea-tolerance-issues

Some members find that exercising causes an increase in their withdrawal symptoms:

exercise-do-more-do-less-do-nothing-what-worked-for-you

Magnesium and Omega-3 Fish Oil are supplements which SA recommends.  Try a small amount, one at a time, to see how the affect you.

I take magnesium and have found it helps to take the edge off my anxiety.  There have been several times that I have stopped taking it for a short period of time and I notice the difference, and when I have restarted it, I have noticed the improvement.

To start with I think it would be better to keep a diary and note your foods/beverages, activities, supplements, amount of sleep etc and when symptoms increase/lessen to see if there is anything that may be contributing to the anxiety.     

Please see Post #1 of this topic:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

• 4 weeks later...

Is it too late to reinstate?

7 months off ADs

now thinking of stopping work as symptoms are so hard to manage with work.

Too scared to reinstate because I have been off ADs for 7 months and I may have an adverse reaction.

I am at a loss of what to do!

Last dose end Dec 2018 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello katy

I am a junior mug in the UK

I guess it is getting quite late in Australia now.

I am also out of my home at the moment and I'm a mobile phone phone which is not ideal.

If you go to chessiecats post of the 27th of June at the bottom you will see a blue link entitled about reinstating.

Edited by Sassenach

Escitalopram 10mgs from mid 2007 ( can't remember exact date) to 11th Dec 2018

Fentanyl patches ( don't remember dose ) from Nov 2014 to 11 Dec 2018

Quit both cold turkey Dec 2018

Reinstated 3rd March 2019 2.5 mgs.

Updosed  8March to 5mgs and holding

25/11/19 Started taper 4.5mgs and holding

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner

If you are going through Hell, keep going. NCIS series 15, David MaCallum:rolleyes:

• Moderator Emeritus

Sorry back keep losing connection

You could try reinstating at a very low dose for example one or at most two milligrams.

By doing this you are minimising the risk of an adverse reaction. 

It is surprising how a very small dose can be effective 

And will give you an indication of weather reinstatement may work.

When I get back home I will take a closer look and if necessary contact one of the senior mods.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner

If you are going through Hell, keep going. NCIS series 15, David MaCallum:rolleyes:

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Katy398 and welcome back,

On 6/26/2019 at 9:01 PM, Katy398 said:

I did read somewhere that even a single dose of Prozac can help. 

Hmmm, I don't think I've ever seen that to be the case.

And I'm sorry that you are still struggling so much.

How did you do with Prozac and Citalopram when you were on them?  Any bad reactions to either of those or to the Lexapro/escitalopram?

And reinstatement often works best, when done early on, when WD symptoms first appear.  It's possible, however.......that you might get some relief of symptoms with a really low dose(to start) reinstatement now. 

I opted not to reinstate, after basically CTing Lexapro for a couple of reasons.  Well, one being that I was still completely disorganized and not at my best cognitively.  And then, I had gone inpatient too, and was on 2 other medications(neither of them AD's) and just dealt the best I could, with helpful neighbors and friends and non-drug coping.  At the point that I arrived here, I was 7 months off of the Lexapro.  With about 28 years behind me of the medications too.

Is there anything going on at work now that is making it more difficult?  Or otherwise in your life situations?  And Katy, that is great I think, that you have been able to continue to work through all this. 

What do you have going now, or what do you practice as far as non-drug coping skills?   Things like exercise, or meditation, or even therapy with someone you like and trust.  It you click on that hyperlink.......you'll find, right in the first post, a whole indexed list of things, down at the end, that might help.

I got a ton of relief from magnesium and will include our link to that supplement:

BASIC SUPPLEMENT TOOLKIT

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

If you do start either of these, please just start one at a time.  Often, due to our sensitized nervous systems, this is the best approach.

I have the magnesium both by mouth,  and then the epsom salt(magnesium sulfate) baths.  Which helped me greatly to relax.  Don't over do however,  for me it has usually been one or the other.  Either a bath or taking it by mouth.

And then I've been able to work my way up to 2400 mg a day with the Omega-3's, over time.  At the very beginning though.......I just could not tolerate much of anything.  I'm quite a few years out now from the Lexapro.  And over 2 years off of everything.  I'm just saying this Katy, as it does get better.........I mean it has for me. 

And just gentle hugs too, for you.  I remember.  You are among friends here.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

manymoretodays(mmt)

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Administrator

Hi, Katy. How have your symptoms changed over the last few months?

Are they better or worse at any particular time of day? How's your sleep?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you Altostrata for your response.

My partner says I am improving from January to now. When I’m in a wave I really don’t believe it. 

Cant put a pattern together re symptoms time of day etc 

Sleep was shocking but getting better.

Worse symptoms are 

overwhelming anxiety 

self hatred

impaired cognitive functions.

thanks for your interest in me I hope your journey gets better

Warm regards Katy

Last dose end Dec 2018 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 6/26/2019 at 9:01 PM, Katy398 said:

Many symptoms over last 6 months but NOW EXTREME ANXIETY is my biggest challenge. I have many other challenges which are very unpleasant but I can endure.

-exercise

- homeopathic remedies

- mindfulness 

-supplements Bs, D, acidophilus, fish oil.

- no sugar/low carb diet.

might be helping me, how do I know??!!

MY QUESTION IS:-

1) Do I go back on antidepressants (maybe Prozac) and start from the beginning again ( this feels like wasting 6 months of effort) 

2) Or do I continue as I am and hope anxiety improves. 

I know we are all going through this in very different ways but does anyone have any experience with either options.

Hi Katy,

What exactly are you taking, regarding B vitamins?

Vitamin B12, essential for mood, nervous system

Vitamin B6

Hypersensitive to B vitamin or B vitamin complex?

And D vitamin, can be stimulating as well

Vitamin D3

I found it to be really important, in my journey back to health, to keep records.  Even if just for myself.  Can you find a old fashioned calendar, with boxes, so you can begin to note:  When you make any changes.  Supplements, diet, exercise, etc?

This is how you know.  Many members can and do, get overstimulated from the addition of too much at once, and/or from say the B vitamin complexes, or too much D3, which this time of year, one can get plenty of Vitamin D naturally.

So that is one option.

And then, the low dose reinstatement is also a possibility.  It is really helpful though if you can do the basic daily drug and symptom notes, if your choose to do this.  I'll post that separately.  Next post. B)  This could work well, as a method to find out what works for you too, with all your supplements and homeopathic stuff going now.

Lot's of links, I know.  But you'll have a reference base anyway.

Overwhelming anxiety:

Non drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

just read the first post ^and scroll on down and you'll find tons of topics on self help and coping now

Many have video links, if reading/writing is still difficult

And the Dr. Claire Weekes Method of Recovering from a sensitized nervous system

Yikes, and self hatred,  oh my.  Shame, guilt, regret, and self criticism  might help.

And are you aware of how much the emotions often get enhanced or super enhanced, while in WD, and oh, especially while still in the early more acute stages? 

We call that neuroemotions

So glad to hear that you are seeing improvements with sleep and that your partner is seeing overall improvements in you too.

My own experience was to cut way back on supplements and other medications, once I realized how sensitized I was, and then slowly, surely cognitive and most everything else that was more extreme in the beginning.........healed.

I'm not sure if you were referring to Alto's journey or my own.......but, oh my..........I'm in a great place now with my "journey"  B)  Loving my life and while I do expect that there may be struggles ahead, I mean this is Life........I have gathered and gleaned so many tools along the way,  I can't imagine that it will ever be so, so, very hard as it once was.

If you've got time, many of the links I gave, do allow for comments and back and forth between members.  Or, just don't be shy, and you could begin to offer some kind and gentle support to other members as well.  Do a bit of back and forth.  There's a private message system here too, where you can listen, communicate with others, and offer support in that way too.  The little envelope appearing icon at the top of your screen.  Sometimes......that helps.

And best to you Katy398.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
elaboration, additional thoughts

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Moderator Emeritus

......and, simple form, daily symptom and drug/supplement/symptom notes.  How to do:

Keep notes on paper about your daily symptom pattern and drug dosing

(sample notes)

6 a.m. Woke with anxiety
8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
10 a.m. Stomach is upset
10:30 a.m. Ate breakfast
11:35 a.m. Got a headache, lasted one hour
12:35 p.m. Ate lunch
4 p.m. Feel a bit better
5 p.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
6 p.m. Ate dinner
9:20 p.m. Headache
10:00 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel
10:20 p.m. Feeling dizzy
10:30 p.m. Fell asleep
2:30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien (NOT "took 1/2 tablet Ambien")
2:45 a.m. Fell asleep
4:30 a.m. Woke but got back to sleep

An appointments diary is perfect for this and can be bought at stationery stores. They have a page for each day with times for appointments which can be filled in with doses, symptoms etc as shown above. Or, you can copy and paste from a cell phone app -- but make sure the result is easily readable.

It's really pretty simple to do.  Give it a try.  As I said, this can be really helpful, and especially if you do decide to reinstate a small dose of one of the AD's.

I'm wondering on this, below still too?

How did you do with Prozac and Citalopram when you were on them?  Any bad reactions to either of those or to the Lexapro/escitalopram?

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Thanks to everyone who has replied just to answer a few questions 

I don’t drink alcohol or canine now

Now started body and brain zaps

I think I am getting worse not better. I’ve had to dramatically drop my work load plus dropping a day.

My taper was so very wrong, I didn’t understand the implications and because I did it slower than psychiatrist advised I thought I’d be ok. 

Now I’m so scared.

I was on 40mgs a day=280 mgs a week. I tapered 20 mgs a week for 14 weeks.

Last dose was a 20 mg tablet!!!!!!7 months ago!!!!

Scared to reinstate 

Scared not to.reinstate.

Read the reinstating link which states after being off meds for months reinstating is less likely to work and may cause ‘ kindling’

Where do I go for advice?

Thanks again for all your support

warmest regards 

Last dose end Dec 2018 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Katy398,

You are in the right place.  Weekends are sometimes slower, for mod input.  Yet other members are often around.  Go boldly and visit another's thread!  (that's just my odd humor talking, hopefully others will pop on in here soon to offer support too)

If you did not experience any adversity or adverse effects from Prozac.  That might be a good bet for reinstatement now.

Kindling is less likely to occur, if you reinstate at a really low dose.  For example:  just 0.5 to 1 mg.

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce symptoms

Tips for tapering off Prozac(fluoxetine)

^ helpful  too, in getting the right dosage strength and form to do this with

Often, it's said the fear of the fear is the worst part of the fear.

Do you have a doctor who can prescribe for you now? 

And then, if you do go for reinstatement.......keep notes, like shown for us.  If you do have an adverse effect, you would just stop the reinstatement.

Improvement, in symptoms may take a bit of time.  It's good if you can go with the same dose, same time, for a week.  And especially with Prozac, as it has a long half life.  If after a week, you are not feeling improved, but are not worse in any way.......then you could try a 1 mg dose.

I hope that helps.

Let us know and keep us updated.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

further edit p.s.

I wish I had tried a reinstatement, in retrospect.  And I think I would have, if I was not, by the time I came here, already back on 2 different medications.

Edited by manymoretodays
p.s.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Katy

MMT has given you some very good advice above.

2 hours ago, manymoretodays said:

It's good if you can go with the same dose, same time, for a week.  And especially with Prozac, as it has a long half life.  If after a week, you are not feeling improved, but are not worse in any way.......then you could try a 1 mg dose

I reinstated Escitalopram several months after quitting cold turkey and experienced symptoms like yours.

Now 20 weeks in and am feeling much better.

Your partner is in a better position to judge your improvement because of this

On 7/25/2019 at 2:05 PM, Katy398 said:

When I’m in a wave I really don’t believe it. 

None of us do!

A reinstatement at very low dose as per MMT above  could ease your symptoms.

I understand you do not want to go back on A/Ds, neither did I.

Starting with a low dose has two advantages.

1: There is less risk of adverse reaction.

2:You will have much less to taper off .

Do you have a Prozac prescription at present?

The choice whether to reinstate or not is entirely yours.

Either way we are happy to help.

Sassenach

• Administrator

Hi, Katy, when did the brain zaps start? Have you had them before? Did you take anything to trigger them?

I agree with manymoretodays, you might try a very little Prozac, to see if taking that is going in the right direction.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you Altostrata

Brain zaps have been around on and of for a while but have got increasingly worse in the last two weeks and when I’m stressed they happen every 10 mins or so.

I cannot believe that prescribing these drugs for so long is legal. I also can’t believe that putting any  drug on the market without testing for withdrawal symptoms is legal. 

My Doctor read some work of John Read and her reaction was “I thought maybe it’s time for me to retire!”

This scandal is huge.

Like most people here I had no idea, no warnings, no withdrawal advice.

Here I am shivering in CT withdrawal as if I’d been using illegal narcotics rather than  drugs prescribed by my doctor.

Im still in a state of shock that this is actually happening. 

Thanks for your support I really appreciate the time you put into this.

warmth, love and gratitude 

Kx

Last dose end Dec 2018 

Hi I know this may seem petty but is it possible for a moderator to change the spelling mistake in my title.

to changed to    too

it really irks me every time I see it. 

Thank you 🙏 

Last dose end Dec 2018 

• manymoretodays changed the title to Katy398: I’ve tapered too quickly, what should I do?

Thank you You don’t know how much that means to me I really appreciate it. 🙂

Last dose end Dec 2018 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Katy.

How are you doing?

Sassenach

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sassenach 

Thank you for asking. Going through a wave and need to ask;

Is it normal to get anxious about  so many generic transitions in life, both big and small? 

Waking up/going to work/ beginning and end of lunch break/coming home from work/ start of weekend/ end of weekend. Now even the first signs of spring are triggering me. I won’t be able to hibernate and hide under the duvet/ more jobs in house / garden/ where do I start?

/ it’s all so overwhelming.

Any changes are challenging to me both big and small. Also huge anxiety related to the renovation house I live in.  How can we complete it? How can we afford it? How are we going to pack it all up when we move, even though we have no plans to move in the next 5 years at least! 

This is crazy I feel as if I’m going mad. I’ve always suffered from anxiety so therefore I’m not sure which is really me and which is the WD. 

Does anyone have similar experience?

warm Regards K

Last dose end Dec 2018 

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you ChessieCat For the info.

Does anyone on this site know of anyone in the world who survived a Cold Turkey. 

I can’t find anyone who didn’t reinstate I feel so helpless I can’t risk reinstating and feel utterly naive  and stupid expecting  to get through this hell. .I do have 561 cold turkey search pages to read through. Can anyone save me the time and the triggers that reading through them will cause.  

HAS ANYONE SURVIVED COLD TURKEY AFTER 20 YEARS ON THESE SCANDALOUS DRUGS???? Please I need to know.

Warm Regards K x

Last dose end Dec 2018 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 3/12/2019 at 12:08 PM, ChessieCat said:

Please create your drug signature using the following format.   Keep it simple.  NO diagnoses or symptoms please - thank you.

• details for last 2 years - dates, ALL drugs, doses
  • summary for older than 2 years - just years and drug/s

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

Edited by ChessieCat

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Katy, so sorry to hear about the tough wave you're going through everything you mentioned is totally normally it's like our fear centre (our amygdala) is just on permanent alert 24/7 so it perceives any slightest bit of stress as a threat so loops over the thought,worry or stressful situation because it's not functioning properly. It's not you it's your brain trying to heal. I had this this morning too for a few hours over a worry about my daughter it's like no matter what I couldn't stop the worrying thoughts and the stress feeling, it took a lot of mindful breathing exercises and distraction techniques for it to calm down. It's not "your anxiety" as many doctors will tell you it's withdrawals. Check out Pugs success story his is a very encouraging one to read I printed it off last year when I was in the thick of it and read it over and over to help calm my fears he was 20 years on and cold turkey/fast tapered like us too. 

Take care,

Hope x

May 2014 - July 2015 0.5 Clonazapam (cold turkey off)

October 2014 - November 2014 took Beta Blocker Propranolol (fast taper off)

December 2014 - began 2.5mg Lexapro worked up to 30mg Lexapro over 3 months

December 2014 - 2 mg Valium started sometimes took up to 6 mg Valium

April 2015 - started 25mg Lamictal worked up to 100mg Lamictal

April 2015  - began taper 4mg Valium. Stopped Valium 

July 2015 - stopped crumb of 2mg Valium

September 2017 began taper 30mg Lexapro.

February 2018 last dose Lexapro 1.25mg

October 2020 - Began 10% taper of Lamictal Dec 2019. was going ok until tapered from 45mg - 40mg. 

September 2023 - on the 13th of September 2023 I took my last dose of Lamictal 0.1mg. Finally psych med free!!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Katy

Apologies for the delay.

Have you experienced any Windows ( good days) where you recognised the good feelings before all this began?

How well do you sleep?

6 hours ago, Katy398 said:

HAS ANYONE SURVIVED COLD TURKEY AFTER 20 YEARS ON THESE SCANDALOUS DRUGS

Yes they have and Chessie posted you a link.

It is important to remember that we are all different and heal in our own way.

561 cold turkey search pages to read through

Spending too much time searching for answers only makes us more obsessed with our health, and difficult for those around us to understand

On 7/29/2019 at 9:31 AM, Katy398 said:

I cannot believe that prescribing these drugs for so long is legal. I also can’t believe that putting any  drug on the market without testing for withdrawal symptoms is legal. 

My Doctor read some work of John Read and her reaction was “I thought maybe it’s time for me to retire!”

This scandal is huge.

Like most people here I had no idea, no warnings, no withdrawal advice.

Here I am shivering in CT withdrawal as if I’d been using illegal narcotics rather than  drugs prescribed by my doctor.

Im still in a state of shock that this is actually happening. 

I doubt there is a person on here who does not agree but anger and frustration are counterproductive.

You need to look after you.

I can’t risk reinstating

It is still an option at a very low dose, entirely your choice.

Sassenach

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Katy398,

I'm doing just fine and dandy after it all.  The WD, the CT's, and all the medications.  Cognitive so much improved.  And sometimes I forget, how it all felt, the symptoms of WD.  I've got a really good life going now.  Not enough time in the day to get my own "Success Story" written.

So what's your fear of a small reinstatement all about?  What is it that you just can't risk?

You could even just do .5 mg of Prozac to start.  Did you ever take or have bad reactions to Prozac?

Just interested in your why is all?  The links are up there on that, and our suggests.

Are you able to do any non-drug coping that helps? 

Staying in the present for example.  NOT beating yourself up mentally over and over again, for decisions and things in the past.

I don't know why you would want to read some 300 pages of CT stories.  You might just be feeding the wrong wolf right now Katy398.  Feed the wolf of healing and recovery.  Not the wolf of pessimism, hopelessness, and negativity.

Non-drug techniques to cope

^ some great stuff here.  In the first post, scroll on down, and you'll see a whole indexed list of things you might try.  I used to just scan the other members posts in their introductions, back when I was in acute WD, to pick up on what mods and others offered in the way of non-drug coping too.  Back when I was too shy to interact much, outside of my own introduction.  That might be a better option for you than reading 300 pages of CT stories now.

And then there's this:

On 6/26/2019 at 9:20 PM, ChessieCat said:

Magnesium and Omega-3 Fish Oil are supplements which SA recommends.  Try a small amount, one at a time, to see how the affect you.

Oh Katy398,  I'm glad you posted and updated.  Plenty of us have not only survived but learned to thrive again.  Many hugs. 

I wish I had time to give you some of my own personal favorites, as far as links go, to some great stuff here.......however, I've got to run again.  Had a lovely vacation and now back and running busy.......all while without a smart/cell phone, as I lost it or it got stolen over a week ago.......  Good exercise, for me, in flexibility. 

Hope this finds you feeling just a bit calmer.  And best.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

p.s. link added.....  Acceptance  B)  You might enjoy the Finding Meaning forum Katy, that's where that one comes from

Edited by manymoretodays
added link

8 hours ago, Katy398 said:

Thank you ChessieCat For the info.

Does anyone on this site know of anyone in the world who survived a Cold Turkey. 

I can’t find anyone who didn’t reinstate I feel so helpless I can’t risk reinstating and feel utterly naive  and stupid expecting  to get through this hell. .I do have 561 cold turkey search pages to read through. Can anyone save me the time and the triggers that reading through them will cause.  

HAS ANYONE SURVIVED COLD TURKEY AFTER 20 YEARS ON THESE SCANDALOUS DRUGS???? Please I need to know.

Warm Regards K x

Yes two people. However, even people who cold turkey and succesfully do it will experience symptoms for quite some time.

1) Slow and steady.

2) Cold Turkey.

Both of the above will take time to adjust. I think the problem with Cold Turkey is that initially you feel better the first week or month ? But, we always expect to be immediately fixed.

Re-instating a fraction of 1mg will tell you a correct reading and if you need it or not. Worse thing is that you can just chuck it out at 1mg if it holds no value or improvement.

2008-2012: Cymbalta, Zyprexa, Valium (5 days supply),

2012 - Seroquel x 4 weeks C/T. 

2014 - Seroquel x 2 Weeks C/T. Crossed to Risperidone 3mg for 6months until December.

2014 - Stopped Risperidone. Xfer > Anti-Depressant 200mg Zoloft and 6mg Clonazepam. 

2018 - 150mg Clomipromine changed Anti-depressant. Tapered Benzo to 1mg Clonazepam. 2019 - xfer to 20mg Diazepam. 

Currently:

Anafranil: 75mg. 17th Dec 2022 70mg. 27th Dec 22: 75mg, 14 January 23': 70mg. 16-26th January: 50mg (too fast drop no sleep). Jan 28th 2023: 70mg. 20 Feb 2023: 65mg. 11/06: 60mg 9/08: 55mg 15/08/23 : 50mg
3/03/2024: 60mg (Updose)

Diazepam (V): 25th Oct 2019' 20mg. 22 Dec 19' 19mg. 04 Apr 2020' 18mg,  30 September 20' 17.5mg , 13 Nov 2020' 17mg. 01 January 2021: 16mg, 13th Aug 21' 15mg. 1st Nov' 2021 14.5mg. 1st Dec' 2021 14mg. 13 January 2022: 13.5mg, 11 Feb: 13mg.  11 April 22' 12.5mg, 12 May 22': 12mg, 6th September 2022: 11mg Valium. 9th October: 10.5mg, 25th Oct 10mg. 12 March 23: 9.5mg 2 April: 9.25mg 23 April: 9mg 12/05: 8.75 26/05: 8.5 12/09: 8.25 21/09: 8.5. 3/10: 8.25 17/10: 8mg 20th Nov Brassmonkey: (7.9.,7.8, 7.75) 5 Feb: 7.25mg. 23 Feb: 7mg 

*.      Have tried to go at faster rate than 0.5mg but is currently too fast. 

• Moderator Emeritus
5 hours ago, Ryder said:

you can just chuck it out at 1mg if it holds no value or improvement.

This would depend on how long you were taking 1mg for.  It only takes about 1 month for the brain to fully adapt to getting an AD.

Thanks you so much everyone 

for spending your precious time getting back to me.

Of course you are all right and I’ve read many of the links before. I have to apologise.  It may seem as if I didn’t take note of support previously, that’s not the case, I’m sure you’re all aware that in the thick of a wave rational thought is challenging. 

In answer to Manymoretodays question, my fears of reinstating are that my symptoms may get worse. I know they may also improve but it is a gamble. I don’t know where i’d go to get medical support if that happens, when no one seems to know what they’re doing. The thought of being hospitalised with a cocktail of drugs being pumped into me, terrifies me. 

I would then feel I’d have wasted 8 months of healing to be back at the beginning with a longer more complex journey ahead. 

It’s the gamble that I can’t seem to be able to risk.

Now it’s a new day.

. I’ll try and write a list of emergency links to read for the next time I reach utter despair, so I don’t end up trawling through CT posts!

Thanks again everyone for your support. Take care Kx

Last dose end Dec 2018 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Katy, 

How are you doing?💚

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.