MentalHealthHelp23: Gabapentin withdrawal

MentalHealthHelp23

I was on Gabapentin at only 600 mg per day for about 1 year and a half for my social and general anxiety disorders. It worked pretty well but I didn’t want to be on it anymore since I heard it can cause withdrawal. I tapered off over the course of three months. 4 months since being off, I have worse anxiety than before, occasional depression, sleep 6-7 hours instead of 8-9, and sometimes lack appetite and feel nauseous. Also I have slight cognitive issues. I’m taking 200 mg Magnesium Glycinate morning and night. Helps a little. Will these symptoms go away???

• ChessieCat changed the title to MentalHealthHelp23: Gabapentin withdrawal

Topic title:  Off of Gabapentin for 4 months after being on 1 and a half years for anxiety

I was on Gabapentin for 1 and a half years for anxiety at 600 mg per day. I slowly tapered off and have been off for about 4 months now. Ever since, my anxiety is way worse, even just sitting at home, I have bad depression moments, cognitive issues, sometimes lack of appetite and naseua. When will this go away?!

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title
  • Administrator

Welcome, MHH.

How have your symptoms changed since you went off gabapentin? Do your symptoms follow any daily pattern?

Good to hear mag glycinate is helpful. You may want to take it in smaller doses throughout the day and add fish oil, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

Your sleep is not too bad for withdrawal syndrome. If you improve it a little, that probably would help a lot. See Tips to help sleep -- so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.