Prescription Drugs That Can Cause Depression

Jemima

• Moderator Emeritus

There may very well be reasons other than our emotions or attitudes that cause depression. My own depressive crash was, I believe, caused by Lipitor lowering my cholesterol to an unhealthy level of 134. Here's a list of prescription drugs that can cause depression from today's AARP Newsletter (statins are on the list):

http://www.aarp.org/health/drugs-supplements/info-02-2012/medications-that-can-cause-depression.1.html

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Jemima,

I viewed the link you provided. One of the alternative drugs for chronic pain was Effexor!! I am currently tapering this antidepressant. It is a b**ch to get off of. I would not recommend it to anyone for chronic pain.

Effexor XL 2009-2012. CT 150mg Effexor XR  2012, Effexor XR  75mg  2012  then rapid taper to 0, Reinstated Effexor XR 13mg then updosed to 20mg, Tapered to 18mg Effexor XR 4/9/12, Off Effexor XL ?Reinstated  Effexor XL 150 mgs  August  2012, Crashed in November 2012, Prozac 40 mgs 2012 to Feb 2018, Buspar 60  mgs 2012-stopped 2015, Remeron 7.5 mgs as needed for sleep-stopped Feb 2017, Prozac 50 mgs Feb 2018 to March 2018, Lexapro 5 mgs March 18 2018 to May 17th 2018, Lexapro 2.5 mgs  May 18th to May 26th 2018, Prozac 10 mgs May 15th 2018, Prozac 5 mgs May 19th 2018 to current day May 28th 2018,  Xanax 0.25 mgs to 0.5 mgs daily for over 15 years. Increased Xanax to 1.5 mgs Sept 2012, Tapered Xanax to 0 mgs  May 2013.Reinstated Xanax Feb 2017 at 0.125 mgs as needed, Gradual increase of Xanax to 1.5 mgs daily till May 22nd 2018, Xanax 1.25 mgs daily. Holding

• Moderator Emeritus

Jemima,

I viewed the link you provided. One of the alternative drugs for chronic pain was Effexor!! I am currently tapering this antidepressant. It is a b**ch to get off of. I would not recommend it to anyone for chronic pain.

Hi.. just for the record, with the exception of cymbalta, antidepressants have recently been discredited for use with chronic pain. :)

Schuyler

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Moderator Emeritus

Jemima,

Another example of off-label prescribing. It's frightening that these very dangerous drugs are being so casually prescribed.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi.. just for the record, with the exception of cymbalta, antidepressants have recently been discredited for use with chronic pain. :)

Schuyler

Thank goodness for that! I hope doctors are aware of this.

Schuyler

Schuyler ~

Any info you have on that GREATLY APPRECIATED

I hear this recommendation several times a day and it is maddening -

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Jemima,

Another example of off-label prescribing. It's frightening that these very dangerous drugs are being so casually prescribed.

While waiting to speak to my psych's nurse this morning, I overheard the NA talking to a patient about issues with smoking cessation. The NA stated he was on citalopram to quit smoking. I'm thinking WT??????

History:

1995--Prozac--Quit CT by GP

1995--Effexor--Quit per my GP

1996--Amitriphene--Quit CT when changed GP

2005--Citalopram and BusPar. Prescribed when I decompensated in my GP's office. GP referred me to behavior health. Psychiatrist prescibed these drugs. Taken off citalopram in 2011 due to FDA warning. Quit Buspar during transition to viibryd.

Viibryd--2011 to present. Had a severe reaction in March 2012. Advised both GP and Psychiatrist I was trying to get off these drugs.

Antidepressants cure everything - the ultimate no-brainer - doc doesnt need a brain and patient…

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

The kicker of this conversation: The patient he was talking to kicked smoking over 40 years ago. Her response to him was i quit because i was ready to quit. I've been harping on my brothers to quit smoking. One tells me f*** you! and the other flat out told me i'll quit then I'm ready to quit.

History:

2005--Citalopram and BusPar. Prescribed when I decompensated in my GP's office. GP referred me to behavior health. Psychiatrist prescibed these drugs. Taken off citalopram in 2011 due to FDA warning. Quit Buspar during transition to viibryd.

Viibryd--2011 to present. Had a severe reaction in March 2012. Advised both GP and Psychiatrist I was trying to get off these drugs.

That link was very informative. I take Lovastatin and the article pointed that out as causing depression. The suggested antidote is to take B's. Years ago the B's were touted as the stress reliever vitamins.

I have taken Propanolol and I get a rebounding depression if I take it more than once.

Xanax helps stop anxiety in it's tracks, but I have a (you guessed it) a rebounding depression jag.

I was looking for other HBP meds in that article and didn't see it. I take Lisinopril and was wondering about that.

Hugs

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Moderator Emeritus

That link was very informative. I take Lovastatin and the article pointed that out as causing depression. The suggested antidote is to take B's. Years ago the B's were touted as the stress reliever vitamins.

Women are far more likely than men to have side effects from statins. In fact, statins have only proven useful for men over 35 who've had a heart attack.

If you're going to continue taking Lovastatin it's also a good idea to take COQ10, or if you're over forty or so, Ubiquinol, to prevent muscular wasting. (I've never had a reaction to Ubiquinol, before or during withdrawal). I have a very painful case of that in my arms and will have to go to Physical Therapy for weeks or months and hope that it can be fixed. I refused to ever take a statin again last August. My doctor was upset, although I'm not sure if she was ticked off about my refusal to take Lipitor or because she was ashamed that I had been so damaged from it.

I have taken Propanolol and I get a rebounding depression if I take it more than once.

Xanax helps stop anxiety in it's tracks, but I have a (you guessed it) a rebounding depression jag.

I was looking for other HBP meds in that article and didn't see it. I take Lisinopril and was wondering about that.

Hugs

I'm not sure what Lisinopril is, but if you know the basic chemical name or the type of drug it is, that might help identify it with a group of drugs that were listed in the article. I take a very low dose (2.5 mg.) of Isradipine, a calcium channel blocker that goes by the brand name of Dynacirc. I've never had any side effects from it except for some sleepiness during the first month or so of taking it.

• Moderator Emeritus

Antidepressants cure everything - the ultimate no-brainer - doc doesnt need a brain and patient…

This is really the bottom line. With the fifteen minute appointment being the norm, there's no time to practice good medicine. My doctor never used to dish out prescriptions right and left, but since a hospital took over her practice, she does. She's often so rushed that I'm lucky to get ten minutes with her.

• Moderator Emeritus

While waiting to speak to my psych's nurse this morning, I overheard the NA talking to a patient about issues with smoking cessation. The NA stated he was on citalopram to quit smoking. I'm thinking WT??????

That's like using an assault rifle to kill a mosquito. Totally immoral and unethical, IMO.

What was even more amazing was the patient's answer: She quit because she wanted to quit.

History:

Women are far more likely than men to have side effects from statins. In fact, statins have only proven useful for men over 35 who've had a heart attack.

If you're going to continue taking Lovastatin it's also a good idea to take COQ10, or if you're over forty or so, Ubiquinol, to prevent muscular wasting. (I've never had a reaction to Ubiquinol, before or during withdrawal). I have a very painful case of that in my arms and will have to go to Physical Therapy for weeks or months and hope that it can be fixed. I refused to ever take a statin again last August. My doctor was upset, although I'm not sure if she was ticked off about my refusal to take Lipitor or because she was ashamed that I had been so damaged from it.

Hugs

From what I see on wikipaedia, lisinopril is an ACE inhibitor. It has the same interactions as all the other ACE inhibitors

I'm not sure what Lisinopril is, but if you know the basic chemical name or the type of drug it is, that might help identify it with a group of drugs that were listed in the article. I take a very low dose (2.5 mg.) of Isradipine, a calcium channel blocker that goes by the brand name of Dynacirc. I've never had any side effects from it except for some sleepiness during the first month or so of taking it.

History:

This is really the bottom line. With the fifteen minute appointment being the norm, there's no time to practice good medicine. My doctor never used to dish out prescriptions right and left, but since a hospital took over her practice, she does. She's often so rushed that I'm lucky to get ten minutes with her.

Which is why I have problems with modern medicine. You CAN'T do a workup in 15 minutes. A psych can't chase the cobwebs out of one's head in that little amount of time. The whole sustem is broken, and no one knows how to fix it.

History:

• Moderator Emeritus

Which is why I have problems with modern medicine. You CAN'T do a workup in 15 minutes. A psych can't chase the cobwebs out of one's head in that little amount of time. The whole sustem is broken, and no one knows how to fix it.

The love of money is the root of all evil, and we are a nation that worships Mammon. Take away the profit motive and a lot of the broken parts would vanish overnight along with quite a few doctors, hospitals, and drug companies. And good riddance.

When I was a kid - back in the Dinosaur Age - the family doctor practiced medicine because he loved helping people. True, he expected to be paid a reasonable amount for his work, but he and his wife were no more financially well off than many other people in town. He was a graduate of Johns Hopkins and a brilliant man, but he chose to return to our small town after graduation and serve his boyhood neighbors.

I know this sounds like a re-run of Marcus Welby, but it wasn't so long ago that the practice of medicine was very different. (Please don't ask me who Marcus Welby is - you'll make me feel really old). The medical system really doesn't have to be the way it is. Maybe the answer is simply for people to stop patronizing the current system. I'm looking into getting some formal education as an herbalist myself, not out of rebellion against the current system, but simply because herbal medicine is often more effective and has fewer side effects than the drugs that are being churned out by the likes of Pfizer, GSK, Merck and others.

And BTW, if you do get that diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome, don't take it personally. One of my best friends could be diagnosed that way and perhaps even myself, and to my way of thinking, that diagnostic label is just another way of labeling and isolating very bright people who also happen to be introverts.

The love of money is the root of all evil, and we are a nation that worships Mammon. Take away the profit motive and a lot of the broken parts would vanish overnight along with quite a few doctors, hospitals, and drug companies. And good riddance.

When I was a kid - back in the Dinosaur Age - the family doctor practiced medicine because he loved helping people. True, he expected to be paid a reasonable amount for his work, but he and his wife were no more financially well off than many other people in town. He was a graduate of Johns Hopkins and a brilliant man, but he chose to return to our small town after graduation and serve his boyhood neighbors.

I know this sounds like a re-run of Marcus Welby, but it wasn't so long ago that the practice of medicine was very different. (Please don't ask me who Marcus Welby is - you'll make me feel really old). The medical system really doesn't have to be the way it is. Maybe the answer is simply for people to stop patronizing the current system. I'm looking into getting some formal education as an herbalist myself, not out of rebellion against the current system, but simply because herbal medicine is often more effective and has fewer side effects than the drugs that are being churned out by the likes of Pfizer, GSK, Merck and others.

And BTW, if you do get that diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome, don't take it personally. One of my best friends could be diagnosed that way and perhaps even myself, and to my way of thinking, that diagnostic label is just another way of labeling and isolating very bright people who also happen to be introverts.

I'm old enough to remember Marcus Welby, MD. I'm also old enough to remember house calls by the family doctor. When my sister-in-law actually told me she thought I had Aspergers's, I actually thanked her. I was relieved that someone actually had a name for my behaviours, since I could never really get close to people and felt like damaged goods most of my life. While I'd still rather work, at least (until the system goes bankrupt) I could have a little financial and emotional stability, something I never had, no thanks to me never knowing why I did what I did.

History:

• Administrator

I believe the recommendation of Cymbalta for pain will turn out to be sheer hype, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1041-cymbalta-for-fibro

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I didn't see SS/NRIs on the list - or perhaps they would be included in the 'hormone altering' group-

• Moderator Emeritus

I didn't see SS/NRIs on the list - or perhaps they would be included in the 'hormone altering' group-

I think the author had in mind drugs that are commonly prescribed for strictly medical conditions, not psychiatric ones. They are all too commonly prescribed, though.

• 2 months later...

FYI - recent media article about statins causing fatigue, especially in women.

STATINS SAP ENERGY, STUDY CONFIRMS

MedPageToday

June 12, 2012

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Cardiology/Atherosclerosis/33241

• 1 month later...

Bad Effects of Simvastatin

LIVESTRONG.com

http://www.livestrong.com/article/73513-bad-effects-simvastatin/

"DEPRESSION

Considered a serious side effect of simvastatin, depressive symptoms should be reported immediately to your doctor if they begin after you begin your treatment. Signs of depression include a constant feeling of sadness; feelings of guilt or hopelessness; a decrease in energy or constant fatigue; insomnia; suicidal thoughts; irritability; problems concentrating or making decisions; loss of appetite followed by weight loss, or increased appetite followed by weight gain and a loss of interest in activities you once enjoyed."

• Administrator

aka feeling like CRAP

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Touche.

New diagnosis: Feel Like Crap Disorder

• Moderator Emeritus

None of the above side effects were made public until after the patent on Lipitor expired. I didn't put two and two together until about a year ago. And long term, I wouldn't be surprised if the statins turn out to be a factor in dementia and Alzheimer's. Many people suffer from short-term memory loss on these drugs.

There's no such thing as stooping too low for Big Pharma.

Yep. Did you hear how Pfizer made a deal with generic houses to NOT make generic available in certain countries, including the US back in '06, I believe? Could be a blessing in disguise.

I believe we'll be hearing much more about dangers of SS/NRIs now that most are off-patent. The Irving Kirsch segment was a start.

• 2 years later...

1. From the CATIE study (but not by Lieborman). Seems like it might be relevant to everyone.

"Hyperlipidemia may be bad for the heart but good for the brain in patients with schizophrenia.Elevated cholesterol and triglyceride levels were associated with better cognitive function in patients with schizophrenia i"

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/844814

Then there was a 3-part series about conflicts of interest. The first thing she brings up is statins...in a (formerly respected) medical journal. Must be read to be believed. The editor's intro was bad enough.

INTRO:

Revisiting the Commercial–Academic Interface

Jeffrey M. Drazen, M.D.

N Engl J Med 2015; 372:1853-1854May 7, 2015DOI: 10.1056/NEJMe1503623

...many medical journal editors (including me) have made it harder and harder for people who have received industry payments or items of financial value to write editorials or review articles.4 The concern has been that such people have been bought by the drug companies. Having received industry money, the argument goes, even an acknowledged world expert can no longer provide untainted advice. But is this divide between academic researchers and industry in our best interest? I think not — and I am not alone.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe1503623

SERIES:

Reconnecting the Dots — Reinterpreting Industry–Physician Relations

Lisa Rosenbaum, M.D.

N Engl J Med 2015; 372:1860-1864May 7, 2015DOI: 10.1056/NEJMms1502493

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMms1502493

2009: Cancer hospital said I had adjustment disorder because I thought they were doing it wrong. Their headshrinker prescribed Effexor, and my life set on a new course. I didn't know what was ahead, like a passenger on Disneyland's Matterhorn, smiling and waving as it climbs...clink, clink, clink.

2010: Post surgical accidental Effexor discontinuation by nurses, masked by intravenous Dilaudid. (The car is balanced at the top of the track.) I get home, pop a Vicodin, and ...

Whooosh...down, down, down, down, down...goes the trajectory of my life, up goes my mood and tendency to think everything is a good idea.
2012: After the bipolar jig was up, now a walking bag of unrelated symptoms, I went crazy on Daytrana (the Ritalin skin patch by Noven), because ADHD was a perfect fit for a bag of unrelated symptoms. I was prescribed Effexor for the nervousness of it, and things got neurological. An EEG showed enough activity to warrant an epilepsy diagnosis rather than non-epileptic ("psychogenic") seizures.

:o 2013-2014: Quit everything and got worse. I probably went through DAWS: dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome. I drank to not feel, but I felt a lot: dread, fear, regret, grief: an utter sense of total loss of everything worth breathing about, for almost two years.

I was not suicidal but I wanted to be dead, at least dead to the experience of my own brain and body.

2015: I  began to recover after adding virgin coconut oil and organic grass-fed fed butter to a cup of instant coffee in the morning.

I did it hoping for mental acuity and better memory. After ten days of that, I was much better, mood-wise. Approximately neutral.

And, I experienced drowsiness. I could sleep. Not exactly happy, I did 30 days on Wellbutrin, because it had done me no harm in the past. 

I don't have the DAWS mood or state of mind. It never feel like doing anything if it means standing up.

In fact, I don't especially like moving. I'm a brain with a beanbag body.   :unsure:

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy