Rosetta

Akathisia kills doctors, too

Rosetta

https://www.madinamerica.com/2019/03/even-docs-get-killed-akathisia/

How did our medical professionals get to this point?  It's mindboggling.  The ignorance is truly astounding.  There is an echo chamber, and the people who are supposed to keep us safe are utterly clueless.  I think the intersection of capitalism and medicine creates a void of knowledge.

India

Sami Timimi, a UK psychiatrist and member of CEP says that psychiatry is the only faction of Medicine in which long term outcomes are worsening rather than lessening or something to this effect. 

Shep
7 hours ago, Rosetta said:

How did our medical professionals get to this point?  It's mindboggling.  The ignorance is truly astounding.  There is an echo chamber, and the people who are supposed to keep us safe are utterly clueless.  I think the intersection of capitalism and medicine creates a void of knowledge.

Thanks for posting this MiA article, Rosetta.

It reminded me of this:

Webmd - Doctors' Suicide Rate Highest of Any Profession

That article says the reason is because of "untreated or undertreated depression". 

But is that true? According to a recent alert from Dr. Breggin: 

Dr. Peter Breggin - 75% of Young Docs on Psych Drugs

And pardon me for going there, but, there's also this: 

Mad in America - Why Many Doctors Are Authoritarians – and Harmful

I only bring this up because in order to understand what we're dealing with, we need to understand who we're dealing with. These are not people who are capable of seeing what is going on around them and definitely not the kind of people who will stand up to the power of our capitalist overlords. The will follow authoritarian leaders. 

As you wisely say, Rosetta, the "intersection of capitalism and medicine creates a void of knowledge". 

As that last link I posted states:

The sad reality is that for many doctors, career ambition—and an accompanying compulsion to please authority—trump their moral apprehensions.

Rosetta

Good points @Indiaand @Shep.  Drugs are dangerous, and they are not respected by doctors.  I agree that the authoritarianism and the career ambition are factors.  "Improperly" treated distress (not depression necessarily) is what is causing some of these suicides.  There is no interest to find the real cause either.  The doctors themselves are considered expendable by the pharmaceutical executives.