SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Birth control pills and other hormonal birth control

Soul

I tried the birth control pills because my withdrawal symptoms are worse during my ovulation and period, therefore I thought if I can avoid the hormonal changes maybe it will help. Well the pills made me worse, I was very sick for 3 days in a road, like in the early days in my withdrawal.

Does anyone know why everything get worse during the ovulation and the period time?

Why the pills made me more sick? Is it the estrogens or progestin or them?

How do I know If I have a hormonal problem that is making me more sick?

Any information regarding progesterone cream or maybe the minipill (which is progestin only)

Or plain and simple it is withdrawal and it will get better over time.....

Thanks

My first thought is that I would avoid throwing any additional hormones into the mix as the ADs have already disrupted your system. I'm sure those who know more will have more insight.

Have you had hormone levels checked? Im not sure how accurate those tests are, but seems like a logical first step. The endocrine system is incredibly complex (to me!).

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Administrator

I just heard a knowledgeable doctor suggest eating soy frequently during that phase of one's period, to reduce the exacerbation of withdrawal symptoms. (My guess is the phytoestrogens do some kind of balancing.)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 6 months later...

I just don't know what is bringing me down the last couple of weeks. Most all my withdrawal symptoms have come back, like nightmares, jerks and twitches, tinnitus. Fortunately, not the emotional symptoms though. But the astral nights are a killer. I can't figure out if it's because I started taking birth control pills or if it's because I've been fighting a flu bug. I was at the hospital a couple weeks ago with my mom going into surgery and my niece having a baby. I've been having sore throat, fever and wheezing. But also, at the same time I started back on the pill. Has anyone had any trouble with birth control pills setting off symptoms?

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Administrator

Yes, other women have reported starting (or stopping) hormones rocks the boat, recovery-wise.

All the hormones in the body are inter-related. Change the balance in one area and everything else changes, too. This can be destabilizing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Oh that's just great :( I thought that was it. Do you know if they have said their bodies eventually adjusted to the hormone pills? Thanks Alto.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Administrator

That is something I don't know.

I know I experimented with a little progesterone cream (I'm post-menopause). At a low dosage, it was calming, but at a higher dosage, I had a paradoxical result.

Since I couldn't control the amount of a "dab," I stopped the progesterone cream and went to a Menostar estrogen mini-patch. This was calming.

Neither of these would be useful for birth control, though. Just examples of what happens when you add hormones. My guess is the hormones in the birth control pills are at dosage that sets off alerting symptoms via a paradoxical reaction.

Thanks Alto. I'm going to look into other options on Tuesday when I see the doctor. I can't believe how far the pills can set me back on withdrawals. I was doing so good.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

It sounds like you may have two physical issues going on. Wheezing, sore throat and a fever is a bug, and that can take us out in a minute. When I used to take birth control pills years ago, there was a period of adjustment and feeling 'weird' or 'strange' physically. It would usually go away. Not all birth control pills are alike.

One of them made my daughter very irritable and weepy, that did not pass, so she switched to another.

Hugs

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Moderator Emeritus

You might want to read the article in my post at

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2010-prescription-drugs-that-can-cause-depression/

It's an article from AARP's most recent health newsletter and lists ten drugs that can cause depression. Hormones are on the list.

I haven't taken birth control pills for years, but I remember when I first went on them they made me quite depressed. Lower dose pills were developed about that time, luckily for me, or I might have had a whole passel of kids.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Yeah, I think I'm getting a double whammy here with the birth control pills and the flu bug. I am doing better though as far as fever and wheezing. But still am having jerks, spasms and nightmares. The dreams are rough. The Stramonium that helped me so much before isn't working as great this time around. I'll have to try a different remedy.

Thank you for the link to the article Jemima. This week when I see my doctor I'm going to see about getting a tubel ligation and not have to worry about hormone pills at all. Hopefully I can get it soon. But then, now I'm concerned about anesthesia and all that. I have a feeling it will be okay though. Better than what I'm going through right now.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Shanti-

As an experience infertility patient, birth control pills are notorious for causing depression, suicidal thoughts, the entire chibang in people who are susceptible.

Please also be careful about any surgery options. Doctors are quick to remove womens' fertility organs, telling them they will feel fine afterwards because they are say, leaving in the ovaries. Must ovaries will often fail when there is no uterus. Others on this site know more than I do about this...

Have you considered old fashioned methods?

Just my 2 cents.

Years:150mg Wellbutrin (to concentrate) 20-30 mg Celexa (rumination).

CT 8/2011 during a pregnancy attempt under MD orders. (Idiot!!!) Pregnancy hormones allowed it.

Felt great with 6 mg of melatonin per night to sleep plus preggo hormones-didn't last:(

Best time of my life. Botched IVF in Dec 2011.Stress.

Bone chilling exhaustion and told to go back on celexa and wellbutrin.

4/9/2012 Back on celexa wb for some relief, wb gave me heart palps so dropped and only need 6.6 mg celexa and 1/4 melatonin pill...IMPROVEMENT because my doses are much lower!

REMEMBER to get your thyroid and hormones checked/out of whack ones can appear LIKE MOOD DISORDERS!!

Shanti-

As an experience infertility patient, birth control pills are notorious for causing depression, suicidal thoughts, the entire chibang in people who are susceptible.

I am taking HRT to stop depression, hot flashes and the usual battery of symptoms from having had a hysterectomy. They make a difference, I can tell when on a rare occasion I forgot to take them.

Shanti...if you know you are not going to have more children maybe the tubal ligation is the best alternative. I once tried the 'ring'. It was so painful and can cause infection. Would you husband consider the surgery for himself? They have a much easier down time.

Anesthesia is a factor in WD. It affected me. However, much to my surprise when I had Propafol for a colonoscopy I was fine.

Hope you are feeling better with your 'bug'.

Hugs

PS can you tell me about Ativa Sativa???

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Moderator Emeritus

An IUD is also an option, especially if you've already had children (because the cervix is more relaxed and insertion is easier). That's what I used for years along with a shot of contraceptive foam, and it worked. No anesthesia is required for the insertion, although it does hurt some and usually causes cramping for several hours afterward.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

I'll ask my doctor about the IUD, that sounds like a good option.

I thought that a Tubal Ligation didn't remove organs, but just cut and tied the tubes so eggs can't be dropped? My doctor almost did a hysterectomy on me a year ago but I refused. There wasn't enough evidence that I needed it, and sure enough, all the symptoms I'd had are now gone without having done anything.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Administrator

Yes, tubal ligation is tying tubes only, but it's more invasive than a vasectomy for a male.

An IUD might be your best option.

I had to stop the birth control pills. It was aggravating my withdrawals symptoms way too much. It's been a few days and I'm just now starting to notice things getting a little better. So I decided on the TL and going to do that soon.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Just weighing in … I tried an IUD many years ago and couldn't tolerate the pain - I hadn't been thru childbirth (except as the child) so that may have been a factor -

Barb

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Just weighing in … I tried an IUD many years ago and couldn't tolerate the pain - I hadn't been thru childbirth (except as the child) so that may have been a factor -

Barb

That's exactly why I decided not to go with the IUD. I already have difficult periods and I read that it can make it worse. I'll just get the TL and never have to worry about birth control again. My kids are grown and I know there is no way I'd bring more souls into this world. I'll be happy with grandkids when the time comes though :)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• 1 year later...

Those who know about my experience, know that I've been struggling since I started Effexor with thrown off hormones. I have pcos so especially my reproductive/ sex hormones (whatever they're called) are especially vulnerable. In an attempt to stabilize hormones, I'm thinking of trying birth control to get my estrogen back up. Do you think it is a good idea to try this, or will I make things worse?

Tapering Zoloft, Dec 2014

Started Lamictal

Re-started Zoloft mid-Oct 2014, 25-50mg

Stopped Zoloft end of Sept 2014

Started Zoloft July 2014, 50mg

Stopped Prozac from 3mg May 2014

Stopped Effexor Dec '13 Started 10mg Prozac

Reinstated Effexor 15mg on Nov 2013

Stopped from 21mg on Oct 2013
Effexor 112.5mg, since Dec 2012

My gyno actually wanted me to go on birth control while I was on Zoloft, and I still have it...unopened...in my bedroom. I'm too scared to start taking it.

I am off of all meds as of May 20th, 2013, after 5 weeks on Zoloft and a 4 week taper. Still experiencing: moderate anhedonia & PSSD, I am otherwise mostly healed. 

2.1 years off of medication. 

"If I walk away, don't hate me. I've got to see where the pain will take me.

I found no angels...I found myself."

hormones are notorious for complicating issues...I cannot speak for every instance but I feel like it's playing with fire.

a lot of people acquire mood problems from birth control pills to begin with...that actually happened to me...I had to stop taking them...they really messed me up when I was a teenager...I took them because I had endometriosis...medical reason...like you

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

I have taken birth control in the past (long before any antidepressant), and I got migraines, bloating and maybe, exaggerated pms, but it did make my periods come on a regular basis, which was not happening alone. I was given the pill by my endocrinologist last fall as a general treatment for pcos. It apparently is one of the lowest estrogen pills (microgestin 1/20), if that matters at all. I feel like it could either make it worse or better, and it's a gamble I might be willing to take.

Started Lamictal

I started taking the birth control I have the prescription for. I'm going to make an appointment with my endocrinologist and explain my situation, and hopefully, she can help me. Endocrinologists have always been the one doctor who have helped me.

Started Lamictal

• 5 months later...

I was on Yasmin for 5 years. I then switched to 2 other birth control pills. In early withdrawal i cold turkey'd my BC and had an extreme reaction (Symptoms got 10x worse, crying non-stop, irritated, agitated, very very emotional and severely suicidal)

So the doctor put me on this (0.125mg Ethinylestradiol and 0.050mg Levongestrel) and these problems started:

Lumps in breasts, painful breasts, pelvic pain, bladder pain, stomach issues much much worse.

I took the full dosage for 8 months then i started tappering off them 1/4 at a time. These symptoms got worse, i became very moody and crying even more. 

I tapered down to 1/2 and made the disision to switch to this (0.075mg gestodene & 0.020mg ethinylestradiol) for one month now. Its Much lower than the previous pill.

The only symptom that has gotten better is the pain in my breasts. I still have lumps and the pelvic pain is bad as ever.

A radiologist told me i need to stop the BC immediately to see if the lumps and pelvic pain dissapear, but i am too scared. She said playing around with the dose by cutting it (Tapering) is dangerous and could cause alot of problem.

Should i taper down or just stop? 

Where can i get help regarding this? Please

Was on Citalopram 20mg since Feb 2008 - switched to Paxil 20mg in August 2010

Tapered way too fast in April 2012 by skipping days. Taper completed in 6 weeks

Tried prozac 20mg for 3 days - felt spaced out, not better.

Tried 30mg Cymbalta for 2 days. SEVERE ADVERSE REACTION

Antidepressant free since 14 August 2012

Birth control on and off during this time - Last taken 18 June 2017 - Morning after pill 

Started mainly using 0.5mg Xanax beginning 2016 for severe panic attacks and anxiety due to trauma

Xanax on and off never more than 0.5mg at a time, never taking it 3 days in a row - used sparingly 

6 Years antidepressant free - Still in severe withdrawal with over 60 symptoms

Severe setback started May 2018 with no let up to date. Developed many new symptoms like tremors, inner vibrations, insomnia, visual distortions and dr/dp are 100x worse, i have severe sensitivity to movement, My dizziness and vertigo got worse and it now feels like im constantly rocking on a boat, my anxiety is sky high, suicidal idiation is back, i feel extremely brain damaged 

• Moderator Emeritus

I thought it was ok to just stop taking birth control pills, but it seems there are mixed thoughts about it.  I found two links which may help you decide:

http://voices.yahoo.com/should-wean-yourself-off-birth-control-pill-5101377.html?cat=5

https://www.zocdoc.com/answers/13646/how-do-you-get-off-the-pill

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thank you so much for the links Petu! I appreciate it very much.

I did hear from several Gynaecologists that cutting the pill is bad news as the hormones aren't evenly distributed in the pills and that i then end up taking a different dose everyday and that can cause problems.

I decided to just stop it as i was already on less than a half a tablet (Technically) 

Hoping for the best.

Was on Citalopram 20mg since Feb 2008 - switched to Paxil 20mg in August 2010

Tapered way too fast in April 2012 by skipping days. Taper completed in 6 weeks

Tried prozac 20mg for 3 days - felt spaced out, not better.

Tried 30mg Cymbalta for 2 days. SEVERE ADVERSE REACTION

Antidepressant free since 14 August 2012

Birth control on and off during this time - Last taken 18 June 2017 - Morning after pill 

Started mainly using 0.5mg Xanax beginning 2016 for severe panic attacks and anxiety due to trauma

Xanax on and off never more than 0.5mg at a time, never taking it 3 days in a row - used sparingly 

6 Years antidepressant free - Still in severe withdrawal with over 60 symptoms

Severe setback started May 2018 with no let up to date. Developed many new symptoms like tremors, inner vibrations, insomnia, visual distortions and dr/dp are 100x worse, i have severe sensitivity to movement, My dizziness and vertigo got worse and it now feels like im constantly rocking on a boat, my anxiety is sky high, suicidal idiation is back, i feel extremely brain damaged 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sorry to ask but has any ladies out there experienced having a period when they are not supposed to be in withdrawel? This has totally thrown me today as its all of a sudden and heavy (sorry for being so blunt) I'm on the birth control pill yazmin....I'm scared to look at those side effects!

2008 - Doctors appointment with stress induced anxiety led to Citalopram prescription.

Severe adverse reaction

Mirtazapine prescribed - adverse reaction but told to stay on.

Poop out - December 2013

15mg

Currently on 13.5mg,

April 12mg

May 10th - 11mg

June 10th - 10mg

July 8th - 9mg

September - 0mg

• 4 months later...

Have you had your hormones checked? Not every health problemk is necessarily a side effect of withdrawal.

Could you use another birth control that does not mess with your hormones?

• SSRIs 3-4 times in the last 14 years; would take them for 6-8 months and then taper off under dr supervision with no problems.
  • Med history prior to 2015: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6012-newbeginning-my-withdrawal-story/?p=267313#entry267313
  • 04/2015: Prozac decreased to 15mg over last 3 months; effexor held steady at 8mg; current effexor XR: 20 beads of a 75mg capsule per day (about 8mg)
  • 06/2015: Prozac: 10mg; effexor XR: 19 beads (about 7.5mg); 07/2015: Prozac: 8.5mg; effexor 18 beads; 08/2015: Prozac: 7.5mg; effexor: 17 beads
  • End of August: withdrawal: depressive symptoms, crying spells. Realized I was measuring prozac dose wrong for the last 2 months. Reinstated Prozac 8.5mg; Kept effexor at 17 beads. Stabilized in 5 weeks.
  • 10/2015: Prozac: 8.5mg; effexor: 17 beads11/2015: Prozac: 1.9ml (7.5mg); effexor: 16 beads12/2015: Prozac: 1.6ml; effexor xr: 16 beads. Withdrawal: neuroemotions
  • 01/2016: prozac: 1.6ml; effexor xr: reinstated 17 beads, withdrawal improved; 02/2016: Prozac 1.5ml; Effexor: 17 beads; 03/2016: Prozac 1.3ml(5mg); Effexor: 17 beads (7mg)-withdrawal (flu-like malaise, lightheaded, drowsy) started end of March. April 15: reinstated Prozac 1.5ml. Stabilized. 2 weeks ok. End of April: Withdrawal (neuroemotions). Eventually stabilized in April-May. Apathy improved.
  • 3 month hold until August. August 2016: apathy came back;

• October 2016: updosed to Prozac 1.6ml. Bad reaction: anxiety, depression. End of October: went down Prozac 1.5ml. Stabilized over several weeks.

• Dec 9: tried macca for energy: anxiety/depression. Improved over several weeks, but not completely resolved.

• Dec 31: cut Effexor 5% to 16 beads. After 9 days: withdrawal anxiety, depression; tried updosing to 17 beads Feb 7 but anxiety got worse; went down to 16 beads

May 2017: Anxiety improved; severe depression continuesSeptember 2017: finally stabilized!!!!!! 09/07/2017-12/31/2017: hold

• Stable on Effexor 6mg and Prozac 6mg until around 2019-2020. Side effects (fatigue, anhedonia) continued, but had some long lasting windows thanks to therapy. Windows lasting 5-6 months each year followed by relapses.

• 2019: bad reaction to melatonin 3 mg. Withdrawal after taking it 2 months. When I tried to stop it developed severe insomnia that lasted 6 months even after I reinstated melatonin. Only slept again because I took hydroxyzine 5 mg 3 times a week for few months. Stopped hydroxyzine with no issues. Sleep normalized.

• 2020-2021: Holding on Prozac 6mg, Effexor 6mg, Tapered melatonin 1 drop every 2-4 weeks down to 1.5mg. Had to hold because further cuts were causing severe drowsiness. 

• 2021: Insomnia returned due to caffeine use for few months (only started after months of use). I also had a concussion at this time.

• 2023: took hydroxyzine 5-100mg for one month (kept increasing dose every 3 days because I developed tolerance). Tapered for 1 week. After 1 month: withdrawal neuroemotions. Reinstated 5mg 2 months after stopping. Gradually increased to 25mg, stabilized, but withdrawal came back after 10 days. Kept increasing dose and withdrawal returning. Currently at 40mg. Not sure how to stabilize. 

• 5 months later...

Yes, I think it is a problem that has just been made worse by WD. I think my hormones are messed up, but it doesn't much matter because I'm too sick to take hormones right now, and I have some serious concerns about taking them. Again, it's treating a symptom, not the root cause of the problem. I have seen that people can balance hormones through diet and supplementation, unless one is menopausal, that's a different story.

So right now, I will just have to hang tight.

I hope it works out for you, and everything checks out ok for u. :)

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

Oh I will not be taking hormones either! I refuse to take birth control even. I am getting mine checked out to work with my naturopath on what natural remedy might help balance hormones. I will post what he suggests for hormone balance. He has mentioned evening primrose oil before but I wanted to know more about what is going on for sure and doing thyroid testing as well because that can mess up hormones and stop or cause irregular periods. And thank you I hope things go well too. :)

I started out on zoloft 50 mg or 20mg (can't remember at that point) and was on it for a few months then decided I didn't want to take it because of the side effects so I cold turkey'd it and then was miserable and reinstated and all my symptoms went away and I felt normal. Stayed on it for a while tried lexapro 5mg for a month or two instead to see if I had less side effects. Then switched back to zoloft 20mg I think and weaned down to 6mg and jumped off too soon because it supposedly wasn't a "therapeutic dose" and was told it would be ok. Then I was going through withdrawal again so I reinstated again after about a month I switched to prozac because it's easier to wean off of supposedly. Weaned off over 9 month from 8mg Prozac. Then two months after stopping it on September 2, 2014. I went into withdrawal.

18 months off as of March 2, 2016

I never had problems with PMS before Paxil. After that Paxil mess everything changed.  I turn into Dr Jekyll Mr Hyde and get really aggressive 1 week before my period. I noticed a pattern in my fights with my boyfriend. Around 1 week before my period we had our severe fights and there were several times when I broke up with him, because I thought my feelings has changed.

1-2 days before aunt flow finally arrives my brain fog gets even worse. This is really the vegetable status I like to call ot. I just sit at work, blank faced, try to do my stuff and hope nobody notices,that I am not really "there".

Will it be like this until meno pause? Oh hell.

Cold turkeyed Paxil in May 2012  :ph34r:

Finally recovered / see success story :)

Hi JDM, i'm 7 months off Lexapro and my period didn't show this month. First time ever that Ive missed. Maybe due to Lexapro or a supplement but either way, I can commiserate.

9/2006 Began Lexapro

1/2014 Began taper from 15mg 

Cut dose by 2.5 mg every two weeks or until stabilized 

5/25/2014 Last dose 

Experienced: Anxiety/depression, intrusive thoughts, dizziness, de-personalization, mood swings, stomach pains, nausea, headaches, gastro upset, anger, many spells of brain fog, chills, water retention, hypoglycemia, heart palpitations, weight gain, light headedness, muscle constriction - jaw, chest, neck, cortisol surges waking me several times at night with heart racing, blurry eyesight / visual snow, neuropathic pain, burning/numbness in hands and feet, muscle twitching, light sensitivity, sinuses, temperature disregulation, ear zaps, FEAR, hopelessness, doom and gloom, muscle spasms and tension across whole body, low energy, apathy, depression, constant post nasal drip, ear pain, jaw pain and cracking, tooth pain, burning/tingling/numbing, right rib cage pain FOREVER, lymph congestion, hypersensitivity to many foods and many supplements, bladder/ urination issues, creaky bones, sallow, yellow skin on hands/feet, emotional dysregulation, back pain, vivid dreams, mucus, peeling lips.

What's left: Low energy some days, muscle pain, hormone imbalance, GI stuff here and there, eye floaters, peeling, red lips.

Songbird, 

sorry the primrose oil didn't work for you. I'm going to see if this month it makes a difference for me. 

Moonlitelotus,

I'm glad the rhodiola is working for you. I tried it a couple of months ago  but, on the contrary it made my brain zaps worse at night and gave me really vivid and weird dreams, so I stopped it. But as we know, everyone reacts different to everything. 

I think messing with hormones through birth control pill is very dangerous. But I would also recommend everyone to be VERY careful with naturopaths dealing with hormonal imbalances. I went to a naturopath a couple of months ago, he ran some tests, found out my progesterone was low, and gave me "Pregnenolone" which is a natural steroid. I took it and it was a disaster, within 3 days I was extremely aggressive, brain zaps got worse. At least for me, it was not a good experience. I think the problem was that this was a steroid, and as I later found out steroids are very bad idea during WD. 

JDM1984

I also had a lot of problems with missing and late periods because of meds. This has resolved which is good because now I can predict my PMS and try to be more in control. I suppose as time goes by, your period might go back to normal on its own. 

DizzyGirl, 

I can relate 100% with what you describe and the problems with your bf. This started for me 3 years ago after horrible Pristiq WD. I also go into the Dr. Jecyll Mr Hyde mode. I punched my boyfriend several times during these trance-like moments of aggression and complete loss of control. And I had never been aggressive before. We would also fight a lot and break up a lot always during this time of the month. Fortunately, it's not as bad as it once was, and I've learned to notice my thoughts and feelings and I try not to see him during those days. It's hard, I have a hard time even being comfortable with myself during these days, I see everything under a horrible light. But I've learned to know this is an illusion caused by hormones and WD.  I really hope it's not like this until menopause! Like I mentioned before, I'm trying primrose oil, I'll let you all know how it goes. 

Greentrain, 

Sorry about your missing period. I hope everything returns to normal. These drugs can change every single system in our body. It's even harder being a girl. 

-Effexor 150 mgs (2001-2009). Severe withdrawal symptoms during and after tapering for 6 months.  

-Pristiq 50 mg (2009-2012) Tapered over a year. Worst year of my life. 

-Prozac 20 mg (2012) Tapered over 6 moths to ease withdrawal. Still had severe WD symptoms. 

- (2012-2014) Doctor tried more than 20 medications for depression and WD, leaving me hypersensitive, and in protracted withdrawal. 

- Most debilitating symptoms during protracted withdrawal have been deep depression, anxiety, brain zaps, fatigue, akathisia, twitching, headaches and terrible PMS. 

-January 2015: Started Lamictal 12.5 mg, increased to 25 mg.- Bad reaction when updosed to 50 mg. Stopped. 

-February 2015: Doctor tried new antidepressant Brintellix - Horrible reaction. Discontinued completely. Severe AKATHISIA started.

-March 2015:  Started TMS therapy (Transcranial magnetic stimulation) for severe depression. Didn't work. 

-July 23-August 12: Had 10 ECT sessions which took away my protracted withdrawal symptoms including: akathisia, brain zaps, muscle twitches, fatigue and depression. Stopped medications. 

-September 2015: Experiencing bouts of depression again and muscle twitching. 

-March 2016: Started 20 mg Nortryptiline for depression. It helped. 

-August 2016: Slowly tapering Nortryptiline. 

Cdav,

Thank you for the heads up about the natural seroid thing. I think I would have been leery about that too. I might have to try primrose oil to help regulate my female hormones as well.

I started out on zoloft 50 mg or 20mg (can't remember at that point) and was on it for a few months then decided I didn't want to take it because of the side effects so I cold turkey'd it and then was miserable and reinstated and all my symptoms went away and I felt normal. Stayed on it for a while tried lexapro 5mg for a month or two instead to see if I had less side effects. Then switched back to zoloft 20mg I think and weaned down to 6mg and jumped off too soon because it supposedly wasn't a "therapeutic dose" and was told it would be ok. Then I was going through withdrawal again so I reinstated again after about a month I switched to prozac because it's easier to wean off of supposedly. Weaned off over 9 month from 8mg Prozac. Then two months after stopping it on September 2, 2014. I went into withdrawal.

Any of you ladies get sore lymph nodes in the armpits during PMS/withdrawal? Mine did this last month too.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy