Shanti

Birth control pills or IUD causing withdrawal symptoms?

Shanti

I just don't know what is bringing me down the last couple of weeks. Most all my withdrawal symptoms have come back, like nightmares, jerks and twitches, tinnitus. Fortunately, not the emotional symptoms though. But the astral nights are a killer. I can't figure out if it's because I started taking birth control pills or if it's because I've been fighting a flu bug. I was at the hospital a couple weeks ago with my mom going into surgery and my niece having a baby. I've been having sore throat, fever and wheezing. But also, at the same time I started back on the pill. Has anyone had any trouble with birth control pills setting off symptoms?

Altostrata

Yes, other women have reported starting (or stopping) hormones rocks the boat, recovery-wise.

All the hormones in the body are inter-related. Change the balance in one area and everything else changes, too. This can be destabilizing.

Shanti

Oh that's just great :( I thought that was it. Do you know if they have said their bodies eventually adjusted to the hormone pills? Thanks Alto.

Altostrata

That is something I don't know.

I know I experimented with a little progesterone cream (I'm post-menopause). At a low dosage, it was calming, but at a higher dosage, I had a paradoxical result.

Since I couldn't control the amount of a "dab," I stopped the progesterone cream and went to a Menostar estrogen mini-patch. This was calming.

Neither of these would be useful for birth control, though. Just examples of what happens when you add hormones. My guess is the hormones in the birth control pills are at dosage that sets off alerting symptoms via a paradoxical reaction.

Shanti

Thanks Alto. I'm going to look into other options on Tuesday when I see the doctor. I can't believe how far the pills can set me back on withdrawals. I was doing so good.

Nikki

It sounds like you may have two physical issues going on. Wheezing, sore throat and a fever is a bug, and that can take us out in a minute. When I used to take birth control pills years ago, there was a period of adjustment and feeling 'weird' or 'strange' physically. It would usually go away. Not all birth control pills are alike.

One of them made my daughter very irritable and weepy, that did not pass, so she switched to another.

Hugs

Jemima

You might want to read the article in my post at

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2010-prescription-drugs-that-can-cause-depression/

It's an article from AARP's most recent health newsletter and lists ten drugs that can cause depression. Hormones are on the list.

I haven't taken birth control pills for years, but I remember when I first went on them they made me quite depressed. Lower dose pills were developed about that time, luckily for me, or I might have had a whole passel of kids.

Shanti

Yeah, I think I'm getting a double whammy here with the birth control pills and the flu bug. I am doing better though as far as fever and wheezing. But still am having jerks, spasms and nightmares. The dreams are rough. The Stramonium that helped me so much before isn't working as great this time around. I'll have to try a different remedy.

Thank you for the link to the article Jemima. This week when I see my doctor I'm going to see about getting a tubel ligation and not have to worry about hormone pills at all. Hopefully I can get it soon. But then, now I'm concerned about anesthesia and all that. I have a feeling it will be okay though. Better than what I'm going through right now.

elizabeth11

Shanti-

As an experience infertility patient, birth control pills are notorious for causing depression, suicidal thoughts, the entire chibang in people who are susceptible.

Please also be careful about any surgery options. Doctors are quick to remove womens' fertility organs, telling them they will feel fine afterwards because they are say, leaving in the ovaries. Must ovaries will often fail when there is no uterus. Others on this site know more than I do about this...

Have you considered old fashioned methods?

Just my 2 cents.

Nikki

Shanti-

As an experience infertility patient, birth control pills are notorious for causing depression, suicidal thoughts, the entire chibang in people who are susceptible.

I am taking HRT to stop depression, hot flashes and the usual battery of symptoms from having had a hysterectomy. They make a difference, I can tell when on a rare occasion I forgot to take them.

Shanti...if you know you are not going to have more children maybe the tubal ligation is the best alternative. I once tried the 'ring'. It was so painful and can cause infection. Would you husband consider the surgery for himself? They have a much easier down time.

Anesthesia is a factor in WD. It affected me. However, much to my surprise when I had Propafol for a colonoscopy I was fine.

Hope you are feeling better with your 'bug'.

Hugs

PS can you tell me about Ativa Sativa???

Jemima

An IUD is also an option, especially if you've already had children (because the cervix is more relaxed and insertion is easier). That's what I used for years along with a shot of contraceptive foam, and it worked. No anesthesia is required for the insertion, although it does hurt some and usually causes cramping for several hours afterward.

Shanti

I'll ask my doctor about the IUD, that sounds like a good option.

I thought that a Tubal Ligation didn't remove organs, but just cut and tied the tubes so eggs can't be dropped? My doctor almost did a hysterectomy on me a year ago but I refused. There wasn't enough evidence that I needed it, and sure enough, all the symptoms I'd had are now gone without having done anything.

Altostrata

Yes, tubal ligation is tying tubes only, but it's more invasive than a vasectomy for a male.

An IUD might be your best option.

Shanti

I had to stop the birth control pills. It was aggravating my withdrawals symptoms way too much. It's been a few days and I'm just now starting to notice things getting a little better. So I decided on the TL and going to do that soon.

Barbarannamated

Just weighing in … I tried an IUD many years ago and couldn't tolerate the pain - I hadn't been thru childbirth (except as the child) so that may have been a factor -

Barb

Shanti

Just weighing in … I tried an IUD many years ago and couldn't tolerate the pain - I hadn't been thru childbirth (except as the child) so that may have been a factor -

Barb

That's exactly why I decided not to go with the IUD. I already have difficult periods and I read that it can make it worse. I'll just get the TL and never have to worry about birth control again. My kids are grown and I know there is no way I'd bring more souls into this world. I'll be happy with grandkids when the time comes though :)

Finn

Those who know about my experience, know that I've been struggling since I started Effexor with thrown off hormones. I have pcos so especially my reproductive/ sex hormones (whatever they're called) are especially vulnerable. In an attempt to stabilize hormones, I'm thinking of trying birth control to get my estrogen back up. Do you think it is a good idea to try this, or will I make things worse?

theelt712

My gyno actually wanted me to go on birth control while I was on Zoloft, and I still have it...unopened...in my bedroom. I'm too scared to start taking it.

GiaK

hormones are notorious for complicating issues...I cannot speak for every instance but I feel like it's playing with fire.

a lot of people acquire mood problems from birth control pills to begin with...that actually happened to me...I had to stop taking them...they really messed me up when I was a teenager...I took them because I had endometriosis...medical reason...like you

Finn

I have taken birth control in the past (long before any antidepressant), and I got migraines, bloating and maybe, exaggerated pms, but it did make my periods come on a regular basis, which was not happening alone. I was given the pill by my endocrinologist last fall as a general treatment for pcos. It apparently is one of the lowest estrogen pills (microgestin 1/20), if that matters at all. I feel like it could either make it worse or better, and it's a gamble I might be willing to take.

Finn

I started taking the birth control I have the prescription for. I'm going to make an appointment with my endocrinologist and explain my situation, and hopefully, she can help me. Endocrinologists have always been the one doctor who have helped me.

NoMeaning25

I was on Yasmin for 5 years. I then switched to 2 other birth control pills. In early withdrawal i cold turkey'd my BC and had an extreme reaction (Symptoms got 10x worse, crying non-stop, irritated, agitated, very very emotional and severely suicidal)

So the doctor put me on this (0.125mg Ethinylestradiol and 0.050mg Levongestrel) and these problems started:

Lumps in breasts, painful breasts, pelvic pain, bladder pain, stomach issues much much worse.

I took the full dosage for 8 months then i started tappering off them 1/4 at a time. These symptoms got worse, i became very moody and crying even more. 

I tapered down to 1/2 and made the disision to switch to this (0.075mg gestodene & 0.020mg ethinylestradiol) for one month now. Its Much lower than the previous pill.

The only symptom that has gotten better is the pain in my breasts. I still have lumps and the pelvic pain is bad as ever.

A radiologist told me i need to stop the BC immediately to see if the lumps and pelvic pain dissapear, but i am too scared. She said playing around with the dose by cutting it (Tapering) is dangerous and could cause alot of problem.

Should i taper down or just stop? 

Where can i get help regarding this? Please

NoMeaning25

Thank you so much for the links Petu! I appreciate it very much.

I did hear from several Gynaecologists that cutting the pill is bad news as the hormones aren't evenly distributed in the pills and that i then end up taking a different dose everyday and that can cause problems.

I decided to just stop it as i was already on less than a half a tablet (Technically) 

Hoping for the best.

Lorinewmi

I stopped my birth control about a month ago and went through a terrible wave that has finally subsided. I just got my period today for the first time since being off the pill and now my symptoms are back. It's mainly feeling dizzy (like I'm rocking on a boat) and feeling lightheaded (foggy and out of it). Does anyone know if my period triggered this to happen? This totally sucks! Does anyone know what I can do to make myself feel better? Will this go away once my period is over?

Hellbutrin

Hi everyone,

I was going through my normal routine this morning of watching recovery videos and reading forums and blogs on antidepressant recovery when I saw a video about a young lady that was going through protracted withdrawal from Lexapro and mentioned that she felt that her hormonal IUD birth control might have been exacerbating her symptoms. I thought back on my experience with birth control and realized that I got the Skyla IUD exactly one month after I started taking Wellbutrin for anxiety. I plan on making an appointment to go and talk to my OBGYN about any possible interactions that the Skyla IUD might have had with the Wellbutrin I was taking. But I also wanted to check in with the SA community to see if anyone else experienced any issues with taking hormonal birth control simultaneously with antidepressant medication. I'm wondering if I should talk to my doctor about having the IUD removed, but I wouldn't want to send my body into even more of a tail spin while I try to regulate my hormones. Any information is appreciated, but I'd like to know if there is any information available about whether or not removal would help with my withdrawal symptoms. I looked up the possible side effects of Skyla and one of the primary side effects is depression, so I'm wondering if the hormones could be contributing to my feelings of depression, depersonalization, and brain fog. 

Raye

Hi,

Im a little late, but I wanted to say, it is entirely possible that it could interact somehow. I found some things that interact with my medication that I was surprised with. Now, I don’t think off the top of my head that hormones from that would actually interact though, because they are just hormones, however I have heard of odd side effects of those and it is possible. I would look up each hormone that it has, and see if there is an interaction..or maybe try not having it and see if you feel any different for a while. best of luck to you. 

Hellbutrin

I got the Skyla birth control exactly three months before I started taking antidepressant medication. The extent of time that you are supposed to have Skyla IUD is three years, and three years was up for me this month. I'm terrified that if I go get it removed that I will spiral back into suicidal depression like I did in November three months after my C/T. But I also wonder if the Skyla birth control could be a contributor to why my C/T is as bad as it is. Maybe my body is having a hard time leveling out because the synthetic Skyla hormonal birth control is "poisoning" me in a way. I got my hormones checked a few weeks back and everything came back looking okay. But I've always been VERY sensitive to anything that I put in my body, so I'm wondering if the synthetic version of the hormones that Skyla is releasing into my blood stream could be making me worse. I'd love any first hand experience feedback with this issue, thanks!

Alice1

Hi Hellbutrin ,

I have no idea about the birth control , but I have noticed from your posts around this site that your overall level of natural fear and worry is sky high. If anything is going to contribute to you getting worse or delaying your recovery, its that kind of fear and worry .. How is the CNS supposed to heal if you keep dumping tremendous amounts of stress and worry on it ?  What if's are the wrong way to facilitate healing .. The CNS needs as much calm and soothing environment as possible in order to heal . You also have to accept the fact that it will take time and be as patient as possible .. Bottom line is , Stress and worry hinders recovery .. 

Altostrata

Very good point, Alice.

Hellbutrin, it's not very likely the IUD has anything to do with your withdrawal difficulties, but the hormonal content may have caused the symptoms for which you decided to take an antidepressant.

Please research potential side effects of your IUD.

As time goes on, the hormonal content of the IUD is diminished, so whatever adverse effect the hormonal content has on you would be less and less.

Cold turkey is a high-risk way to go off psychiatric drugs under any circumstances. You don't have to hunt for reasons why withdrawal symptoms from it might be severe.

Hellbutrin
On 7/11/2018 at 2:23 PM, Altostrata said:

Very good point, Alice.

Hellbutrin, it's not very likely the IUD has anything to do with your withdrawal difficulties, but the hormonal content may have caused the symptoms for which you decided to take an antidepressant.

Please research potential side effects of your IUD.

As time goes on, the hormonal content of the IUD is diminished, so whatever adverse effect the hormonal content has on you would be less and less.

Cold turkey is a high-risk way to go off psychiatric drugs under any circumstances. You don't have to hunt for reasons why withdrawal symptoms from it might be severe.

I definitely know that I feel this way because of withdrawal. 

My thought is that if the hormonal content has diminished completely then maybe it might help to if I remove it and see if my body starts producing progesterone on it's own again. I stopped having periods 6 months ago around when I started getting really depressed, so I'm wondering if my body somehow forgot how to produce the hormones that caused my periods to start because it was relying on the IUD. So maybe removing the IUD would jump start my body to start making those hormones again. Just a thought. 

Altostrata

You'll have to consult with a gynecologist. We don't know much about IUDs here.

pinkfairy

Hi 

I was just going to post about my iud 

Then I read what @Altostrata had put...

My iud as ran out & is due to be needing to be taken out 

But am just wondering if this is a bad move while in WD & tapering the Benzo...

I thought I best ask around to see if I should leave it.

Thanks pink