Caspur

Amazing interview with Dr Mark Horowitz on antidepressant withdrawal

Caspur
Posted (edited)

All,

This is a must listen interview. It mentions SA as the most expansive and helpful resource that was used by Mark Horowitz during his own experience with antidepressant withdrawal. Its so refreshing to hear a psychiatrist speaking the truth!! Its just brilliant for the the cause!

Peer-Support Groups Were Right, Guidelines Were Wrong: Dr. Mark Horowitz on Tapering Off Antidepressants

Cheers

Caspur

Edited by Shep
re-formated link

Caspur

Admins,

Is it possible to pin this interview please. Its a must listen for everyone!

Cheers

Caspur

Oliver1974

How do I contact Dr. Horowitz?

ChessieCat

Hi Oliver and welcome to SA,

You may not need to contact Dr Horowitz.  There is a wealth of information on this site.

Please click on the link and start an Introduction topic telling us about your own situation.

This topic provides information about-survivingantidepressantsorg

See also:   Important topics in the Tapering forum and FAQ

Shep
23 hours ago, Caspur said:

All,

This is a must listen interview. It mentions SA as the most expansive and helpful resource that was used by Mark Horowitz during his own experience with antidepressant withdrawal. Its so refreshing to hear a psychiatrist speaking the truth!! Its just brilliant for the the cause!

Peer-Support Groups Were Right, Guidelines Were Wrong: Dr. Mark Horowitz on Tapering Off Antidepressants

Cheers

Caspur

Thanks for posting this, Caspur.

SA members and Alto were mentioned:

The website that was far and away the most helpful was Surviving Antidepressants, run by Altostrata. It’s a wonderful resource with a quite incredible number of people involved in it. I think there are hundreds of thousands of posts and tens of thousands of people all talking about experiences that were just like mine. And it was the first time that I felt that I had a handle on things when I went on that website. And I soon learned that people came down off their medication much more slowly than guidelines recommended. And I began following their guides, thinking it’s useful that these people were around, but how come I need to go to peer support websites for this, when there are so many doctors and psychiatrists and professors around? Why is this? Why is the best information around on a peer support network?

Caspur

Hi Shep,

Thanks for the reply. From the perspective of all the promotion of using the harm reduction approach to tapering on this forum and many Facebook groups, the interview is priceless. Even more so coming from a medical professional.

FYI, I've also just posted a link to a report on prescribed drug dependence published by the Welsh Government following a petition lodged by another persion with lived experience of protracted withdrawal. Its here in the last comment I made:

Cheers

Caspur

DeterminedAnna
Posted (edited)

Thank you for posting this @Caspur

Not trying to steal your thunder, and apologies if i'm duplicating something elsewhere on the site, but I looked up Dr Horowitz on Twitter (https://twitter.com/markhoro). He tweeted a link to the full paper in the Lancet, which is free for two weeks with registration.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpsy/article/PIIS2215-0366(19)30032-X/fulltext?fbclid=IwAR1eBoF7LwWyOD9Nq6IWDk9-CY77GkDA1wjgLZae2TxCWxc_UMdTMpH8Nq4

I have registered with the Lancet to get this paper for free. 

I haven't got the brainpower to comment on this paper other than it's a fantastic move in the right direction.

Thank you again Caspur.

Edited by Shep
removed link to copyrighted material