First drug specifically for postpartum depression is approved

Shep

• Moderator Emeritus

Washington Post - First drug specifically for postpartum depression is approved

March 19 

The Food and Drug Administration on Tuesday approved the first drug specifically for postpartum depression.

Some key facts taken from the article: 

• The newly approved drug, called brexanolone, will be marketed under the name Zulresso. Its manufacturer, Sage Therapeutics in Cambridge, Mass., said a course of treatment would probably cost $20,000 to $35,000.
  • The drug, she said, is administered intravenously for 60 continuous hours. The approval requires that it be administered under strict safety conditions because of concerns it can cause “excessive sedation and sudden loss of consciousness.”
  • The drug will be available to patients only through a restricted distribution program at certified facilities — such as doctors’ offices or clinics — where health-care providers can carefully monitor the patient. It will carry a “boxed warning,” which is the strongest warning required by the FDA.
  • The FDA-approved label says data from a study in which a dozen women who were breast-feeding received the drug showed that the medication is transferred to breast milk in nursing mothers. However, the amount that is passed to the infant is low, and available data “do not suggest a significant risk of adverse reactions to breastfed infants from exposure to Zulresso.”
  • The main component of drug is allopregnanolone, “a breakdown product” of the hormone progesterone that affects the GABA neurotransmitters, which have a role in mood regulation, Meltzer-Brody said. She added that the exact mechanism of action is unknown.
  • The FDA’s advisory committee recommended approval of brexanolone in early November, but the agency delayed the green light to evaluate concerns about the small number of women who lost consciousness while receiving the drug. 
  • Given the way the drug will be administered, Glezer said she expects it to be used mainly on the most severe cases, especially women whose postpartum depression requires hospitalization.

The US currently does not have laws protecting women in the labor market that provides paid time off for maternity leave. But I don't see that listed in the article as a reason that so many women are suffering from anxiety and depression after giving birth. 

I haven't had time to do any research regarding the fact that this drug targets GABA receptors, but drugging a new mother to the point of losing consciousness doesn't inspire any confidence that these researchers have anyone's best interest in mind except the stock holders for this overpriced neurotoxin. 

Also, since the drug is targeting women who "require hospitalization" (i.e. psychiatric prisons), I have to wonder about informed consent regarding adverse effects, as well as if it will be done involuntarily. Since ECT targeting women is on the rise, there needs to be a conversation about the potential violation of civil rights that accompany anything called "treatment" in a psychiatric prison. 

Edited by Shep
fixed typo

• Moderator Emeritus

I have not done any research on this topic, Shep, but on the face of it this is shocking and so troubling I can't really find the words.

1 hour ago, Shep said:

She added that the exact mechanism of action is unknown.

At least they are being honest with this one.  How that gets it approved is beyond me?  Shouldn't we know how things work when they affect the brain? 

I agree that this is going to be used as a means of forced drugging, without consent, of some of the most vulnerable in society.

Just tragic.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

omg...this is disgusting...where does it end?😲😞😩

went on Prozac 1994-99,60mg.poopout ct  back on 2001-2002,prozac weekly 2002,not working,Effexor 75 mg.?2003-mar.2004 gaining weight 8wk. taper,wellbutrin 150 mg.mar. -may 2004 ctmedfree til july 2005 back to Prozac gaining weight again,back on wellbutrin jan.2006150-300 mg.bad constipation.also was taking aygestin(hormone)perimenopausal irregular bleeding.back on Prozac around sept,?2006,hysterectomy jan30.2007(adenomyosis)off&on Prozac til 2009,citalopram about 1 mo, April 2010 no effect,Effexor again may -mar, 2011.ct,Prozac aug,-dec, 2011 &sept-nov 2012,paroxetine oct,23 2013-may 4 2014 20 mgs.tapered 6 wks.-failed RI in Oct.2014-in protracted WD.started 10 mgs. Fluoxetine May 25 2021 .Stopped fluoxetine May 2022 at 5 mgs.

• Moderator Emeritus
21 hours ago, apace41 said:

At least they are being honest with this one.  How that gets it approved is beyond me?  Shouldn't we know how things work when they affect the brain? 

I agree that this is going to be used as a means of forced drugging, without consent, of some of the most vulnerable in society.

Ah, I think you answered your own question. Psychiatry has always been about social control, not medicine. 

17 hours ago, direstraits said:

omg...this is disgusting...where does it end?😲😞😩

Hopefully, one day, psychiatry itself will be ended.

Thanks for commiserating with me, Andy and DS. 

Ew, I'm disgusted and shocked. Now they poison troubled moms who need real care and a safe environment (meaning NO psych hospitals!) 

My God, can they stop pathologizing any and everything that is human and natural? While I would never negate the suffering that postpartum depression can be, the answer to that can never be drugs... 

Escitalopram August 2015 - 20mg

Some time in winter 2017 down to 10mg with no problems

May 21 2018 5mg, June 4 2018 2.5mg, June 18 2018 0mg 

October 2 2018 arriving in hell

Reinstated 0.25mg

October 27 2018 0.35mg, November 23 2018 0.5mg, November 24 2018 0.6mg

November 28 2018 0.5mg and holding since 

June 2019 Finally stable at 0.5mg

January 2020 - Dezember 2023 tapered to 0 without many issues, jumped from 0.02mg 

January 3 2024 crash

Taking fish oil and magnesium 

L-Thyroxin 75 for Hashimoto's

• Moderator Emeritus

A voice of reason - Dr. Kelly Brogan has written a great article over on MiA about this travesty.

Postpartum Depression: Is Brexanolone the Answer?

By Dr. Kelly Brogan

March 24, 2019

I was going to bullet point a few key findings, but the article was so good, I would have to bullet point EVERYTHING in it. But here is some information specific to this new "wonder" drug (I added the bold for emphasis). Note that the investors (stockholders) are given information that makes it less likely they will invest in it, while I doubt new mothers are given any warning at all. 

One of the newest drugs rushed to market for the treatment of postpartum depression is called brexanolone. In September of 2017, brexanolone failed its clinical trial4 as a treatment for super-refractory status epilepticus, but just two months later, the drug was being touted as a cure for postpartum depression, gaining fast-track status from the FDA.5 That’s despite the fact that the more trials were conducted, and the larger the sample of women they tested became, the less statistical significance the drug’s effect showed… compared to an ordinary placebo.6 As one publication that tracks biotech for investors explained, “The data contain a few blemishes that, while unlikely to derail the drug, raise questions about the extent to which it will improve the lives of people with PPD and where its peak sales will top out.” If stockholders have concerns, women who are potential candidates for the drug should have even greater concerns.

In fact, according to the FDA briefing document: “Although the difference from placebo at Day 30 was not significant, it appears that the effect of brexanolone was maintained while the placebo group improved.” Yes, you read that correctly… placebo outperformed the sedative impact of an IV infusion after 60 hours, without side effects that include loss of consciousness.

Another piece of the article that stood out is this:

Women today are mothering without the wisdom of generations before them, without the support of their female family, friends, and community. In fact, they are spending large swaths of time alone with their infants. It is likely, however, that a number of survivalist danger signals would be set off if a woman found herself alone with a baby. In fact, it’s likely that we are now setting historical precedent as a woman has likely never been left alone with a baby — without surrounding tribeswomen — in the history of humanity.

• 4 years later...
On 3/20/2019 at 7:33 AM, Shep said:

Washington Post - First drug specifically for postpartum depression is approved

March 19 

The Food and Drug Administration on Tuesday approved the first drug specifically for postpartum depression.

Some key facts taken from the article: 

• The newly approved drug, called brexanolone, will be marketed under the name Zulresso. Its manufacturer, Sage Therapeutics in Cambridge, Mass., said a course of treatment would probably cost $20,000 to $35,000.
  • The drug, she said, is administered intravenously for 60 continuous hours. The approval requires that it be administered under strict safety conditions because of concerns it can cause “excessive sedation and sudden loss of consciousness.”
  • The drug will be available to patients only through a restricted distribution program at certified facilities — such as doctors’ offices or clinics — where health-care providers can carefully monitor the patient. It will carry a “boxed warning,” which is the strongest warning required by the FDA.
  • The FDA-approved label says data from a study in which a dozen women who were breast-feeding received the drug showed that the medication is transferred to breast milk in nursing mothers. However, the amount that is passed to the infant is low, and available data “do not suggest a significant risk of adverse reactions to breastfed infants from exposure to Zulresso.”
  • The main component of drug is allopregnanolone, “a breakdown product” of the hormone progesterone that affects the GABA neurotransmitters, which have a role in mood regulation, Meltzer-Brody said. She added that the exact mechanism of action is unknown.
  • The FDA’s advisory committee recommended approval of brexanolone in early November, but the agency delayed the green light to evaluate concerns about the small number of women who lost consciousness while receiving the drug. 
  • Given the way the drug will be administered, Glezer said she expects it to be used mainly on the most severe cases, especially women whose postpartum depression requires hospitalization.

The US currently does not have laws protecting women in the labor market that provides paid time off for maternity leave. But I don't see that listed in the article as a reason that so many women are suffering from anxiety and depression after giving birth. 

I haven't had time to do any research regarding the fact that this drug targets GABA receptors, but drugging a new mother to the point of losing consciousness doesn't inspire any confidence that these researchers have anyone's best interest in mind except the stock holders for this overpriced neurotoxin. 

Also, since the drug is targeting women who "require hospitalization" (i.e. psychiatric prisons), I have to wonder about informed consent regarding adverse effects, as well as if it will be done involuntarily. Since ECT targeting women is on the rise, there needs to be a conversation about the potential violation of civil rights that accompany anything called "treatment" in a psychiatric prison. 

I just read recently that the FDA approved a drug for ppd. Is this the sames as 2019 or a new one? Has anyone been following this here.? 

2006-2007 Lexapro (not sure of dose) in 2006

2007 Stopped abruptly. Developed serious wd symptom.Went back after two weeks and  tapered successfully over 3 months

November 2013  started 10 mg of Celexa for hormonal symptoms

early 2014 cutdown Celexa to 5 mg.Attempted to get off it November 2014 and had  

Anxiety increased  every time I used  an OTC or had stress.

April-May Cortisol spike problems 

July 2016 Started taking liquid Celexa 7.5 mg

June 2021 I finished my taper en

Severe anxiety and insomnia

June 2022 symptoms omproved

July 2023 gut issues and sleep issues contnue

• Moderator Emeritus
18 hours ago, gn11 said:

I just read recently that the FDA approved a drug for ppd. Is this the sames as 2019 or a new one? Has anyone been following this here.? 

The drug mentioned in the opening post in this thread is brexanolone, administered intravenously. The latest drug is a pill, zuranolone. Here is more on this latest drug:

First Pill for Postpartum Depression Approved

Both drugs have commonalities, as listed in that article:

Zuranolone is a “first cousin” of brexanolone, says Meltzer-Brody, who was principal investigator of brexanolone’s clinical trials. Both drugs mimic allopregnanolone, a naturally occurring neurosteroid that protects the brains of pregnant people and their fetuses from stress during pregnancy. The drugs target the brain’s GABA receptors—part of a major signaling pathway that is responsible for stress and mood regulation—to compensate for reduced levels of allopregnanolone in people with postpartum depression. In contrast with traditional SSRIs, zuranolone and brexanolone provide fast and sustained relief after a single course of treatment. Zuranolone has been modified so it can be ingested in a more convenient oral form, however.

Since both drugs target GABA, they seem to have more in common with benzos and alcohol than SSRIs. 

Incredibly cruel to do this to women and especially to babies. 

16 hours ago, Shep said:

The drug mentioned in the opening post in this thread is brexanolone, administered intravenously. The latest drug is a pill, zuranolone. Here is more on this latest drug:

First Pill for Postpartum Depression Approved

Both drugs have commonalities, as listed in that article:

Since both drugs target GABA, they seem to have more in common with benzos and alcohol than SSRIs. 

Incredibly cruel to do this to women and especially to babies. 

Thanks for sharing. It is beyond cruel. How far is our corrupt capitalist system  (based on marketing untruths) willing to go. I am going to read on this issue more carefully so that I can write a letter to the NYT and other papers about this. I read a posting on a women's group in FB and people were celebrating this drug!?!  I wrote a scathing response.

2006-2007 Lexapro (not sure of dose) in 2006

2007 Stopped abruptly. Developed serious wd symptom.Went back after two weeks and  tapered successfully over 3 months

November 2013  started 10 mg of Celexa for hormonal symptoms

early 2014 cutdown Celexa to 5 mg.Attempted to get off it November 2014 and had  

Anxiety increased  every time I used  an OTC or had stress.

April-May Cortisol spike problems 

July 2016 Started taking liquid Celexa 7.5 mg

June 2021 I finished my taper en

Severe anxiety and insomnia

June 2022 symptoms omproved

July 2023 gut issues and sleep issues contnue

• Mentor
On 3/20/2019 at 4:33 AM, Shep said:

the medication is transferred to breast milk in nursing mothers. However, the amount that is passed to the infant is low, and available data “do not suggest a significant risk of adverse reactions to breastfed infants from exposure to Zulresso.”

Terrifying! We gotta wait and see how this goes I guess. Can't help but think about Thalidomide, probably won't be that dramatic but we can't know how this affects growing babies (let alone their mothers). 

Pronouns: they/them/theirs 

Started on Prozac in early 2000s to treat cPTSD, been on various cocktails ever since.

2002-2004, 2017-2022: Buspar, tapered down to 0

2016-present: 100mg Seroquel for sleep -> May 2023: 90mg -> June 2023: 81mg -> September 2023: 72mg -> switched to brand name, much too strong, down to 60mg -> October 2023: 54mg -> November 2023: 50mg -> January 2024: 45mg -> April 2024: 40.5mg

2016-Present: 100mg Wellbutrin SR -> January 2023: 75mg IR (37.5mg 2x a day) -> February 2023 (33.75mg 2x a day) -> July 2023 (30.37mg 2x a day) -> August 2023: 27.33mg 2x a day 

2018-present: 25mg Pristiq

2015-present: 600mg Gabapentin (200mg 3x a day) -> December 2022: 300mg Gabapentin (100mg 3x a day) per GP's recommendation after side effects -> March 2023: 90mg 3x a day (switched to liquid suspension) -> April 2023: 81mg 3x a day -> September 2023: bad generic, switched back to homemade liquid; too strong after bad generic, down to 70mg 3x a day, still bad. Adjusted slowly till at 60mg 3x a day, much better. Long hold till -> December 2023: 54mg, still feels too high after November Seroquel switch from brand name to generic, doc recommended 50mg which feels better -> January 2024: When Wellbutrin went down, Gabapentin started putting me to sleep, went down to 45mg, then 41mg to stay awake, so far so good -> February 2024: 36mg, still too high, 34mg -> March 2024: 31mg, STILL too high, 30mg

Supplements: Multivitamin w/magnesium, probiotics, digestive enzymes, anti-viral nitric oxide nose spray as needed

• 1 month later...

What happens to the women who have been on ADs prior to the administration of this new drug?

As many of you may know, the very night I had my baby, an OB, whom I had never met before, changed my AD from Celexa 60 mg to Zoloft at 10 mg.  Her reason for the change was that the baby might not breastfeed if I continued taking Celexa.  I trusted her, of course.  The response by my GP to the withdrawal effects was to raise the dose of Zoloft — doubling it.  (And it went on from there up to 150 mg.  The thought that WD might be an issue never entered the mind of any doctor I saw.)

Chances are the OB’s intentions were good.  Chances are the GP’s intentions were good.  They were just employees of an HMO.  They had no reason for personal gain to practice medicine with this sort of gross negligence.  

Ultimately, I ended up with akathisia.

I am very lucky that I survived.  My baby has been very lucky that I survived.

My privately hired midwife warned me about many things that might happen when I gave birth in hospital.  She apparently had no clue of the real danger I faced, and this lack of knowledge continues to exist in the population of “medical professionals.”  The OB who was there for my wellness check ups all throughout my pregnancy never mentioned the possibility that I might be told to change Celexa to another drug.  I did not research this issue before or after my baby was born.  I thought I needed ADs.  Since, I have never been able to find any follow up study that confirmed that Celexa affects the ability to feed nursing babies.  It appears that the issue has been dropped.

This blind trust by both med profs and patients!  

It will be extremely unlikely that a woman suffering from PPD will NOT have been on a much less expensive drug for weeks or months prior to the administration of these two new drugs, intravenous and pill forms.  Has there been any consideration given to the effect of the new drug on the nervous system of the AD addicted?  Surely, the AD will be suspended during a 60 hour treatment, and if the hype is believed, she should be cured after this course of intravenous drugs. Bye, bye AD!  We all know that careful tapering will not be discussed.

Someday we will all read about how many more people died (or had their lives ruined) than were saved from post-partum depression.  Researchers do not know how the new PPD drug works!  We have heard that before.  Opium “worked,” too.

🧚🏻‍♀️Rosetta

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy