Oliver1974: sertraline / Zoloft tapering

Oliver1974

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Oliver1974 said:

This is gonna sound kind of silly, but do I have an intro topic already?  I’ve just been posting and responding to posts but I’m not quite sure I understand whether I have an intro topic or not.  

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/20119-oliver1974-sertraline-zoloft-tapering/

You might want to bookmark it.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Oliver1974

• Shep

• powerback

• ChessieCat

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mentor

Hi Stefan,

I have been on Zoloft since Feb. 2016.  I was on 100 to 150 mg all that spring and then went cold turkey July of 2016.  I reinstated and started a too fast taper.  I am now down to 3.0 mg and am doing it slowly and safely.  Even the recommended 10% a month turned out to be to fast for me. My method is liquid Zoloft so that I can taper smaller increments, and about 4% every six weeks.

I think it might have been you who was asking on another member's page what is your introduction or intro topic, and how do you start one?  Well this entire thread is your introduction. I appears to me that maybe this thread was started by a moderator for you as a courtesy after you posted introduction like comments elsewhere.  I'm not sure but that is what it looks like to me. Maybe the fact that you didn't start it yourself if where the confusion comes in??????

I am not a health professional in any way.  I do not give medical advice.   Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a professional medical practitioner.

NEW INFORMATION FOR GABAPENTIN TAPER

April 29, 2022 900 mg to 800 mg (11%), May 29, 2022 800 to 700 mg (12.5%), June 20, 2022 700 to 650mg (8%), July 20, 2022 650 to 575 (12%), August 20,  575 to 500 (13%),  Sept 20, 2020 500 to 475mg (5%) Nov 7, 2022 475 to 425 (11%), Nov 21, 2022 500mg

Medications: Gabapentin, Prednisone 1.5mg a day, Cortisol Inhaler daily. 

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

Feb. 2016 to June 2016  - Was on 150mg Zoloft.  Put on Gabapentin at 900mg a day in 2016 due to antidepressant withdrawal. 

Quit Zoloft (Sertraline) June  2016,  reinstated 50mg of Zoloft July 2016.  From July 2016  to October 2016 went from 50 mg down 2.3 mg. I up-dosed in November 2016 to 12.5 mg. Held there until January 2017 when I started a much slower taper.

STARTING SENSIBLE  ZOLOFT TAPERING USING GUIDELINES FROM THIS SITE

Dec. 10 2016  - switched to Liquid Zoloft (Sertraline) @ 12.5 mg.   Jan. 4, 2020 1.875 mg (6.3%). Jan. 25, 2020 1.75 mgFeb. 29, 2020 1.625mg (7.10%).  Apr. 4, 2020 1.5 mg.  May 9, 2020 1.375 mg.  June 6, 2020 1.25 mg. (9.10%).  July 4, 2020 1.125 mg. (10%).  August 15, 2020 1.0 mg.  Oct 24, 2020 .875 mg.  Nov. 28, 2020 .75mgJan 16, 2021 .685mg (8.7%).  Feb 13, 2021 .62mg. March 12, 2021 .56mg.  May 1, 2021 .375mg.  May 29, 2021 .25mg. June 26, 2021 .0125mg. July 25, 2021 .065mg. August 22, 2021 .048mg.  October 2, 2021 .043mg.  October 10, 2021 .038mg.  October 23, 2021 .035mg.  October 30, 2021 .032mg.  Nov. 13, 2021 .030 mg.  Dec 4, 2021 .0285 mg.  Dec 11, 2021 .0265 mg. Dec 18, 2021 .0246 mg. Dec 25, 2021 .023mg. Jan 1, 2022. 0 mg. OFF COMPLETELY

• Moderator Emeritus

@Oliver1974  I've moved our conversation to your intro topic so we don't hijack the other member's topic.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

Rachel

Cold turkey, YIKES! 

I’m not surprised that the 10% taper did not work the second time. From what I understand your body probably suffered so much stress from the cold turkey withdrawals that it became sensitized.

I also made the mistake of trying to reduce my Zoloft by 30% in one go.  After day five I was an absolute hell and had to take my original dose.  Then five days later I try to reduce my days by 1 mg a day, and by day eight I was literally going out of my mind.  Yet again I had to resume my original 75 mg dose . 

In total I’ve been on Zoloft for 10 months.  In that time I’ve had a chance to speak to a lot of different people and read many books on the topic of antidepressants and withdrawal.  I’ve found a compounding pharmacy that’s making me the 10% dose reductions.  I will start tapering this September.  I also have liquid Zoloft in case I need to taper slower. Or I can reengage the compounding pharmacy to make me smaller doses. I’m feeling quite confident in my ability  he to taper off this drug as long as I am slow and pay tension to my body/mind.  I also have liquid diazepam to get me through any extra rough patches. 

By now I’m quite familiar with benzo diazepam’s. I have titrated off of them three times.  And bridged from Xanax to lorazepam, diazepam and to liquid diazepam. 

Good for you for getting down to 3 mg  !!!!!!!!!!!

regards

Stefan

May 2018
- 75 mg Zoloft 
- 75 mg Trazadone 
- 0.75 mg Xanax 

March 2019
- 75 mg Zoloft
- 2 mg / 1 ml liquid Diazepam 

August 2019

- ended diazepam taper

75 mg Zoloft 

My intro thread: Oliver1974: sertraline / Zoloft tapering

My benzo thread: Oliver1974: Benzo withdrawal and backache

• 2 weeks later...

I want to start titrating off Setraline (Zoloft) this September. I have contacted a compounding pharmacy that is willing to make me pills using the 10% reducción method.

My question is:

Should I ask the pharmacy to crush my existing pills into powder  (because my body is used to them) and ask them to make my taper with that, or let them use pure sertraline and whatever binding agent they choose. What do you think is a better idea? I want to be as accurate as possible and remove as many of variables as possible.

Needless to say I’m terrified of throwing myself off. I’m currently stable and I know what SSRI withdrawal feels like. It’s the worst feeling I’ve ever had in my life, BY FAR!

Stefan

May 2018
- 75 mg Zoloft 
- 75 mg Trazadone 
- 0.75 mg Xanax 

March 2019
- 75 mg Zoloft

August 2019

- ended diazepam taper

75 mg Zoloft 

• Moderator Emeritus

It would probably be best to get them to use the same pills you are currently using and get them to create capsules.

However, it is very easy to make a liquid from Zoloft tablets.  Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline)

Only make one change at a time, so do not make a reduction at the same time as changing form of the drug.

It is generally recommended to do a cross over, 3-7 days at each of these combos:  3/4 old + 1/4 new, 1/2 + 1/2, 1/4 + 3/4.  This is gentler on your system.

Even changing from powdered tablets to the same powdered tablets in capsule is classed as a change of form.  The delivery of the drug into your system is going to be different.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hi Chessie

The farmacy said they cannot crush my tablets because they can’t garante the accuracy of Setraline content per dose.

Taking the following guidance into account, which of the scenarios do you think would be the gentlest on my system?  I’m trying to avoid severe withdrawal at all costs. 

“ It’s generally recommended to do a bridge over, 3-7 days at each of these combos:  3/4 old + 1/4 new, 1/2 + 1/2, 1/4 + 3/4. This is gentler on your system.”

Scenarios

1.)  let the compounding pharmacy make me the doses and then bridge over from my tablets to their capsules.

2.)  Bridge over from my tablets to liquid Setraline.

3.) Turn my tablets into liquid and bridge over to the liquid.

Regards

Stefan

May 2018
- 75 mg Zoloft 
- 75 mg Trazadone 
- 0.75 mg Xanax 

March 2019
- 75 mg Zoloft

August 2019

- ended diazepam taper

75 mg Zoloft 

• Moderator Emeritus

Sorry, Stefan, looks like your last post got overlooked. 

Did you already choose an option? 

Any of those options are good as long as the change is done in a gradual manner, as you mentioned. 

Shep,

I’m going with bridging over to the compounded capsules and then tapering off of them .

I currently take 75mg = one tablet and a half = three 25mg pieces.

The farmacy  is going to make me:

30 x 25mg capsules 

30 x 50mg capsules 

30 x 75mg capsules 

Then I will take:

50mg tablet & 25mg capsule for a month.

25mg tablet & 50mg capsule for a month.

75mg capsule only = bridge complete.

Once I’m completely stable on the capsules, I will have the farmacy reduce the setraline content of the capsules by 10% every month according to the 10% rule. I will also have the farmacy prepare batches for me to level out on every week for a month if necessary. 

I also have liquid diazepam to help soften any withdrawals that might come up.

From all the options I’ve looked at, this titration plan seems the gentlest, lest complicated and most accurate.

regards

Stefan

May 2018
- 75 mg Zoloft 
- 75 mg Trazadone 
- 0.75 mg Xanax 

March 2019
- 75 mg Zoloft

August 2019

- ended diazepam taper

75 mg Zoloft 

• Moderator Emeritus

Looks like a well thought out plan, Stefan. If 10% turns out to be too rapid, you can always work with your compounder for a gentler taper if needed. 

Let us know how you do.

• 2 months later...

Hello friends

I’d like to sprinkle some positive vibes into the pot for all of you going through a Benzo taper.

As of five days ago I am officially done with my Diazepam taper.  I’m very thankful for liquid Diazepam. Part of me wants to hate these chemicals, but if it wasn’t for diazepam I would’ve been in some really really hot water with two failed (fast) SSRI tapers. Diazepam took me out of a whirlwind of acute anxiety on a number of occasions.

I am currently feeling some diazepam withdrawals,  accelerated heartbeat, diarrhea, tinnitus, muscle pains/spasms, disrupted sleep, the usual. However, because I tapered so gradually, the side effects are not crippling.

Eating though I’m no very hungry, drinking liquids, resting, being kind to myself, staying away from chaotic situations,  binging on Netflix, this is my MO.  I’ll take 150 mg of paracetamol if my body pains (back) are very annoying. Someone of my weight and height would take 600 mg or so but I am a fast metabolizer, thus I need less.  I also don’t want to give my liver more work to do while it’s detoxing from diazepam.

I expecct to feel rough for the next week or so, but I will keep posting. 

Be the turtle 

“SLOW, SLOW, SLOW, SLOW, SLOW, SLOW”

chin up pip pip.

May 2018
- 75 mg Zoloft 
- 75 mg Trazadone 
- 0.75 mg Xanax 

March 2019
- 75 mg Zoloft

August 2019

- ended diazepam taper

75 mg Zoloft 

• Moderator Emeritus

Oliver, I received your PM and would like to see if we can go over your taper history here in your thread to see if there may be some ways of helping tone down some of your symptoms. 

Please update your signature to reflect when you came off the diazepam. 

Account - Settings - Create or Update Your Signature

Since it's only been a few days ago, it's safe to reinstate a small amount of the diazepam. The more you can post about the rate at which you tapered since you were last active on the forum, the more information we'll have to offer a safe reinstatement amount. What amount did you stop at? 

Also, you may want to stay on the reinstatement amount until after you are off Zoloft. Was there a reason you decided to come off the benzo first? From the posts you made back in May when you were last active on the forum, you were going to taper the Zoloft first. Were you having side effects from the diazepam? 

Please note that the half life of diazepam is 200 hours (8 days), so you still have the drug in your system. If you are having severe withdrawal symptoms at 5 days out, these symptoms may get worse, so a reinstatement could help resolve them. 

Hello Shep,

I came totally off liquid diazepam six days ago. I had been titrating down from 1 mL (2mg = 1ml) for 67 days.  I would consider this a rather slow and appropriate taper.  I must admit though that I did rush the last 0.2 mL.  I don’t know why I keep on underestimating these chemicals. Even in their tiniest doses they pack a punch.  I would say I show many of the withdrawal symptoms but none of them are what I would deem acute or severe.  God help me had I have gone cold turkey!

I decided to come off diazepam before the Zoloft because I wanted to chisel off some of these chemicals from my system.  I was not having any adverse side effects from diazepam that I am aware of.  I simply wanted to get rid of something that I felt capable of.

My plan is to hold fast through winter and start titrating off Zoloft with good weather next April. I figured that being on one drug is better than being on two. Plus I wanted to see what my body felt like on Zoloft and nothing but Zoloft. I’ve only felt the Zoloft under the influence of trazodone and diazepam. I no longer take trazodone, and when I get past this miserable bumpy diazepam hump, I’ll only be on Zoloft.

how is this rationale?

regards

Stefan

May 2018
- 75 mg Zoloft 
- 75 mg Trazadone 
- 0.75 mg Xanax 

March 2019
- 75 mg Zoloft

August 2019

- ended diazepam taper

75 mg Zoloft 

• Moderator Emeritus

If you're sleeping okay, you may do well without a reinstatement. However, if you're struggling with sleep, you may want to consider reinstating a tiny amount. 

I'm glad your symptoms aren't acute and you're able to cope. 

22 hours ago, Oliver1974 said:

My plan is to hold fast through winter and start titrating off Zoloft with good weather next April.

This sounds like a wise plan. Please let us know how you're doing prior to your Zoloft taper. I hope everything continues to improve over the next few months. 

Shep,

I wouldn’t say that my sleep is good, but I do think it’s passable considering the circumstances.  I do feel a bit rough in the mornings  but I expect the withdrawl is a bit stronger that time a day.

I will definitely keep you in the loop regarding my progress and before any tampering with Zoloft.

You probably already know this but I just wanna let you know how very grateful I am for your guidance.  

Regards

Stefan

May 2018
- 75 mg Zoloft 
- 75 mg Trazadone 
- 0.75 mg Xanax 

March 2019
- 75 mg Zoloft

August 2019

- ended diazepam taper

75 mg Zoloft 

• Moderator Emeritus

You're welcome, Stefan. I'm glad you're managing through this phase of withdrawal and wish you more healing. 

Shep,

I’ve had pretty intense back aches for quite a while now, like months.  It’s a bit difficult to describe. It’s like they wander throughout my back.  It’s either my lower back or between my shoulders or the middle of my back etc.  It seems like it’s caused by muscle tension. I’m  reticent to get massages because I’ve heard that can actually make matters worse. I have a feeling this has something to do with the Zoloft. Can you recommend any remedies for this?  Have you heard of people suffering the same way ?

I’ve been taking small amounts of paracetamol (150mg) but I don’t want to rely on this.  I’m also considering acupuncture.

regards

Stefan

May 2018
- 75 mg Zoloft 
- 75 mg Trazadone 
- 0.75 mg Xanax 

March 2019
- 75 mg Zoloft

August 2019

- ended diazepam taper

75 mg Zoloft 

• Moderator Emeritus

Please update your signature to reflect when you came off the diazepam. 

Account - Settings - Create or Update Your Signature

Since you've had this muscle tension / back pain for months, it may be the result of your benzo taper. Please note that benzos are powerful muscle relaxers, so it's important to stretch while coming off them.

Here are some ideas from the Beyond Meds site:

Beyond Meds - Yoga articles and videos

You may want to go onto YouTube and search for "yoga after back surgery". The kind of videos that come up are going to ultra easy for people in recovery from back injuries or surgery, so they may be a very gentle way to stretch your back until you've recovered enough to get a massage and / or move to more advanced stretching. 

I had some issues with low back pain prior to withdrawal and I found this video to be very helpful:

Fast Lower Back Pain & Sciatica Pain Relief – Beginners Yoga Stretches and Poses video (19 minutes)

Another idea is an epsom salt bath. Epsom salts contain magnesium, so make sure you're not sensitive to magnesium (you could try using only 1/2 cup of epsom salts to test your sensitivity and then work your way up). 

Epsom salts baths - another way to relax with magnesium

For more non-drug ways of dealing with pain:

Non-drug techniques for dealing with body pain

As listed in that link, the "legs up the wall" yoga pose is a great pose that's very easy to do and very restorative. Here's a video of how it goes:

Legs Up The Wall - Foundations of Yoga video (7 minutes)

On 8/17/2019 at 4:45 AM, Oliver1974 said:

I’m also considering acupuncture.

Please see:

Acupuncture 

Thank you Shep,

This is been very informative.  I think stretching is a very good idea and I will proceed with legs up the wall and a few other easy-going moves.

warnest

Stefab

May 2018
- 75 mg Zoloft 
- 75 mg Trazadone 
- 0.75 mg Xanax 

March 2019
- 75 mg Zoloft

August 2019

- ended diazepam taper

75 mg Zoloft 

Hello Shep 

I’ve been doing the stretching and the legs up the wall  exercise. It brings me some relief. Can you explain why one would get this muscle tension/pain to begin with while detoxing from Diazepam. It really takes a phycological tole. One begins to wonder if it’s permanent, you know, that whole health anxiety crap.  I’ve been off Diazepam for 16 days now. 

Here’s another question:  This is the first time I’ve been off diazepam while being on Zoloft. I also feel a bit shaky. Am I feeling the unadulterated Zoloft for the first time or is this all the Diazepam withdrawal? Any time frame?

I appreciate any insight you might have.

regards

Stefan

May 2018
- 75 mg Zoloft 
- 75 mg Trazadone 
- 0.75 mg Xanax 

March 2019
- 75 mg Zoloft

August 2019

- ended diazepam taper

75 mg Zoloft 

• Moderator Emeritus

Can you explain why one would get this muscle tension/pain to begin with while detoxing from Diazepam. It really takes a phycological tole. One begins to wonder if it’s permanent, you know, that whole health anxiety crap.  I’ve been off Diazepam for 16 days now. 

Benzo have muscle relaxing properties and anytime you come off a drug that has that, it can cause your muscles to get really tight. The same is true for other psychiatric drugs, such as the tricyclic antidepressants, which are used off-label as muscle relaxers. So stretching is very important when coming off these kinds of drugs.

Here’s another question:  This is the first time I’ve been off diazepam while being on Zoloft. I also feel a bit shaky. Am I feeling the unadulterated Zoloft for the first time or is this all the Diazepam withdrawal? Any time frame?

Did you go on Zoloft before going on a benzo? If you went on both drugs at the same time, it may be hard to tell.

Here are a few links that can shed some light on the timeframe. Unfortunately, we can't make any guarantees, but you'll feel better as time passes and you get off all psychiatric drugs. It can be painfully slow, so treat yourself kindly. 

Are We There Yet? How Long is Withdrawal Going to Take?

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain (specific to antidepressants)

What is happening in your brain? (specific to benzos)

Hello Shep,

Affirmative, I  was put on Trazodone, Zoloft and Xanax all at the same time. I’m not gonna go into what a nightmare this has been, but at this point I am only on Zoloft, having titrated slowly off trazodone and eventually bridging too and tapering off Diazepam.

The muscle tension seems to have a life of its own. It moves over my back/neck/head like a constrictor. Usually hits me when I wake up. Then will disappear only to re-emerge randomly.  The same is true for the tinnitus. My stool is also out of sorts. Sleep is rather restless.  If I’m not mistaken this all seems to point towards withdrawal.

I’m going for acupuncture today but I’ve made it expressly clear that I’m not looking for a detox and that the practitioner is not to stimulate my nervios system.

Your thoughts?

regards

Stefan

May 2018
- 75 mg Zoloft 
- 75 mg Trazadone 
- 0.75 mg Xanax 

March 2019
- 75 mg Zoloft

August 2019

- ended diazepam taper

75 mg Zoloft 

• Moderator Emeritus
22 hours ago, Oliver1974 said:

I’m going for acupuncture today but I’ve made it expressly clear that I’m not looking for a detox and that the practitioner is not to stimulate my nervios system.

I'm not familiar with acupuncture, but we do have a thread for those sharing their experiences.

Acupuncture

You are wise to let him or her know that it should not be stimulating. That's the advice that others say is most helpful. 

Please let us know how you do. 

• Administrator

Correct, Stefan, you will want relaxing treatments from an acupuncturist. Sometimes they misguidedly try to treat what they think is "depression" with stimulating treatments.

Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Shep,

Good day.  If I’ve been taking 1 ml of liquid Diazepam (2 mg) every day for eight months, how long do you think it would take for all of this to leave my system including the metabolites? From what I understand, even the metabolites affect the body in different ways. 

Regards

Stefan

May 2018
- 75 mg Zoloft 
- 75 mg Trazadone 
- 0.75 mg Xanax 

March 2019
- 75 mg Zoloft

August 2019

- ended diazepam taper

75 mg Zoloft 

Shep I really enjoyed that information regarding what benzodiazepines do to the body. It was quite encouraging so thank you and please pass on my thanks to the anonymous author .

Stefan

May 2018
- 75 mg Zoloft 
- 75 mg Trazadone 
- 0.75 mg Xanax 

March 2019
- 75 mg Zoloft

August 2019

- ended diazepam taper

75 mg Zoloft 

• Moderator Emeritus

If I’ve been taking 1 ml of liquid Diazepam (2 mg) every day for eight months, how long do you think it would take for all of this to leave my system including the metabolites? From what I understand, even the metabolites affect the body in different ways. 

I'm not sure exactly how long it takes, and I'm sure it's very individual depending on your speed of metabolizing. I've read that Valium can be detected with a hair follicle drug test at 90 days, so it's a drug that sticks around for awhile. 

When dealing with dependency issues, that's actually a good thing. It's the drugs with the shortest half-lives that tend to be more problematic for people trying to come off. Not always, of course, but for some. 

Shep,

I hear you on the drugs with the short half lives.  I had a horrific run-in with Xanax and intermittent withdrawal!!!!!!!!!  I was having full on withdrawl every day until I figured out what the hell was going on.  Fortunately I’m a fairly smart chap so I did a blood test and found out that I’m a fast metabolizer. Needless to say I quickly bridged over to lorazepam then diazepam and then tapered off diazepam liquid.  The torture on Xanax was inhumane.  It felt like someone had stuffed electrical wires into my abdomen and was electrocuting me for hours on end.  If that drug was alive I would put it through a meatgrinder SLOWLY.  I’ve never hated something  inanimate so much in my life.

May 2018
- 75 mg Zoloft 
- 75 mg Trazadone 
- 0.75 mg Xanax 

March 2019
- 75 mg Zoloft

August 2019

- ended diazepam taper

75 mg Zoloft 

Shep,

First of all thank you very much for helping me down this  bewildering path. 

Ever since titrating off benzos I’ve noticed that my speech has been impaired. I occasionally  slur and make mistakes using F instead of TH. I’ve never done this before in my life!  Also, Ill say something and a second later when somebody responds, I’m clueless as to what they’re talking about. I don’t remember saying it, or perhaps I thought I said to myself.

I’m not talking about a full conversation but rather a statement that I said for example. Anyway it’s pretty disturbing. Today is my 20th day without diazepam and I’m still peeing positive on the test strips. The only junk I’m currently taking is 75 mg of Zoloft in the morning. 

Have you heard of this issue before? 

Regards

Stefan

May 2018
- 75 mg Zoloft 
- 75 mg Trazadone 
- 0.75 mg Xanax 

March 2019
- 75 mg Zoloft

August 2019

- ended diazepam taper

75 mg Zoloft 

• Moderator Emeritus

Impaired speech is common for many of us during withdrawal.

Problems with Speech or Communicating

These drugs affect so many parts of the brain, many of us struggle with finding words and being able to articulate them well during withdrawal. Part of the problem concerns memory and recall. 

Many of us find that using email and text instead of phone calls can be helpful. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Friends

It’s been 32 days since I titrated fully from liquid Diazepam.  I have felt some muscle twitching, anxiety, nausea, tinnitus, stress, but the main issue has been really tight back and neck muscles.  

The sore back and neck takes a toll on one’s psychological state as well as physical state.  I find that now anything uncomfortable in my body gets translated into fear in my head.  I’m just so sick of feeling uncomfortable.

I went to see a specialist and she mentioned that I need to stretch and not sit around so much. All said and done I’m in pretty good shape due to the fact that I titrated very slowly.

Come spring I will start titrating off Sertraline.  I decided not to rock the boat over the winter in case the dreary weather exacerbates anything. 

Slowly but surely my friends.

May 2018
- 75 mg Zoloft 
- 75 mg Trazadone 
- 0.75 mg Xanax 

March 2019
- 75 mg Zoloft

August 2019

- ended diazepam taper

75 mg Zoloft 

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, Oliver1974 said:

The sore back and neck takes a toll on one’s psychological state as well as physical state.  I find that now anything uncomfortable in my body gets translated into fear in my head.  I’m just so sick of feeling uncomfortable.

I went to see a specialist and she mentioned that I need to stretch and not sit around so much.

Are you able to take a yoga class? There's a type of yoga called "restorative yoga" that might be a good fit. This is a very gentle form of yoga that's not only physically healing, but emotionally healing. Trauma-sensitive yoga is another type that you might benefit from.

3 hours ago, Oliver1974 said:

All said and done I’m in pretty good shape due to the fact that I titrated very slowly.

Very glad to read this. Excellent update.

Hello friends,

So I’ve been off Diazepam for 40 days but I’m still on Sertraline. I have really tight neck, back and shoulders. My body in general feels skittish.

Could I be feeling the full affect of the sertraline now that I don’t take the benzodiazepines, or am I feeling the withdrawal from the Benzo‘s? Or is there really no way of telling?

May 2018
- 75 mg Zoloft 
- 75 mg Trazadone 
- 0.75 mg Xanax 

March 2019
- 75 mg Zoloft

August 2019

- ended diazepam taper

75 mg Zoloft 

• Moderator Emeritus

40 days is 960 hours. This is a half-life calculator, which is helpful for figuring out how much of the drug is still in your system. 

Drug Half Life Calculator

The active metabolite of Valium is up to 200 hours. If you put in the dose and 200 hours, you'll see it takes 1,400 hours before you're down to 0%. So you're still slowly withdrawing from Valium. 

How much sleep are you getting each night?