SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Cyclical Depression?

Nikki

First of all what it exactly? Are the episodes of depression experienced during WD considered cyclical?

I've had bouts of depression that comes and goes since 2009 while on a full dose of Imipramine. Life was unbearable situationally due to job loss and some other issues.

These depression episodes is what prompted me to ask for Celexa. I still have spells. I just had one. Was it Imipramine WD, or is it me?

Can someone shed some light on this subject please...Thanks

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Administrator

I'm not sure if this exists.

There is Seasonal Affective Disorder -- usually a person feels down in the fall and winter, when there is less light. Light therapy is effective for this. In women, mood can vary according to menstrual cycle, with some feeling down when they're pre-menstrual.

In bipolar disorder, there is cycling between extreme moods.

In life, it's normal to feel down sometimes because of distressing situations. How was cyclical depression explained to you?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Alto thanks so much for replying. A friend of mine told me she had depression all of the time & is on Zoloft and doing well. She said her sister suffers from anxiety & depression, and depression comes and goes. That was how I understood it.

I should really ask her sister.

When I finished the Lexapro taper and was on Imipramine I lost my job which set off a series of events (crisis), and I had anxiety every day, and then I would have periods of depression where I could not stop crying. It would last for a week or so and then I would come out of it.

This just happened again. Over the last two weeks. I thought it may have been the finale of being off Imipramine. More situations have cropped up. My mother may have lung cancer, I just paid some staggering bills (dental work - property taxes, beginning/building a new business, the hospital trip for diverticulitis + the flagyl, cipro and other drugs I had to take).

This stuff scares me alot. I couldn't tell if it is the situations as you mentioned or these darn meds - or - me with cyclical depression which I never heard of either.

At this point I am afraid of getting depressed again. I am feeling alot better, but I am stressed.

I guess I want someone to give the the magic bullet or answer because it is so uncomfortable.

Thanks Alto

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Any future bouts of depression I may get I plan on using all the natural tools I've discovered here and elsewhere on the internet. I now know that Homeopathy works quite well for depression. I find that all the depression I've had in the past was always related to life events.

Posted Image

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Administrator

Depression related to life events is not major depressive disorder. It's life.

Prior to widespread antidepressants, it was observed that most situational depression resolved within 6 months and did not need intervention.

If this is what you're calling cyclical depression, it's merely the ups and downs of normal life. It's a myth that most people are happy most of the time. How we deal with the ups and downs is mental health. If you can learn that, you'd be fine.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

In addition„ during withdrawal my stress tolerance is horrible so any life event is magnified -

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Shanti that is hysterical :lol:

Well life's been rough for a few years now. Made a commitment to myself to establish goals and I work towards them daily. I am proud of myself for that. It becomes tiring & frustrating when "stuff" crops up. Maybe I have reached a saturation point.

Barbara, yep things are magnified. Could still be dealing with the crossover.

I hope we can keep this thread going. So many of us label ourselves depressed. I know I do.

My mother whom I love would say, if you are crying it must be depression ad yo need a psychiatrist. My former spouse could not tolerate cyring. He was a narcissist. The Catholic Schools I went to, well the nuns would slam us and then tell us not to cry.

I think that I have the old tapes playing....I always think there is something wrong and I am weak for crying.

We should start a new topics titled "Crying During W/D" :rolleyes:

PS ~ Shanti can you please tell me the tools that you use for depression...thanks

Hugs

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Nikki,

In the past several months, i've tried to avoid using the term 'depression'. It's difficult because I've been indoctrinated to throw any negative emotions into the 'depression' box just as doctors (and some therapists) do. It becomes so automatic to just say 'I'm depressed' and the triggers and underlying emotions are never addressed. I have recognized many feelings that I glossed over previously. I'm sad, grieving, angry, lonely, BORED (this is a big one and a bit embarrassing to admit when most people are so busy). It's hard to describe what this does, but it feels validating and empowering whereas 'I'm depressed' feels powerless to a condition that I have little control over.

As I've done this, I've noticed how many people have fallen into the same pattern. One friend, in particular, says 'I'm depressed' quite frequently. When I ask 'why?' it's often hard for people to pinpoint a reason or feeling. They say 'I dunno. I'm just depressed.' ME: "when did it start? Did something happen to trigger it?' THEM: 'I'm not sure. Just life.' I've noticed in a few friends that it tends to happen when they find themselves with time alone, unscheduled. Just a hunch, but I think most people are so overscheduled that they have no idea how to be alone and ok with it.

This ties into the tendency to 'isolate' when 'depressed'. I agree completely that support is crucial to health, but there is some functional value in being alone, especially when healing. Alone time seems to be blurred with isolating which is pathologized.

Hope this makes some sense. Just a working hypothesis.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Administrator

I agree, Barb, "depression" is a manufactured term for the convenience of psychiatric diagnosis.

• Moderator Emeritus

Depression related to life events is not major depressive disorder. It's life.

Prior to widespread antidepressants, it was observed that most situational depression resolved within 6 months and did not need intervention.

If this is what you're calling cyclical depression, it's merely the ups and downs of normal life. It's a myth that most people are happy most of the time. How we deal with the ups and downs is mental health. If you can learn that, you'd be fine.

Amen to this! Life is hard, we live in a fallen world, and there are lots of reasons to be depressed that have nothing to do with brain chemistry or whatever hoo-ha the APA is attempting to medicalize.

Losing a job, financial stress, and your mother's illness are plenty of good reasons to feel down. I don't think this has a thing to do with being "clinically depressed", whatever that is.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Moderator Emeritus

In the past several months, i've tried to avoid using the term 'depression'. It's difficult because I've been indoctrinated to throw any negative emotions into the 'depression' box just as doctors (and some therapists) do. It becomes so automatic to just say 'I'm depressed' and the triggers and underlying emotions are never addressed. I have recognized many feelings that I glossed over previously. I'm sad, grieving, angry, lonely, BORED (this is a big one and a bit embarrassing to admit when most people are so busy). It's hard to describe what this does, but it feels validating and empowering whereas 'I'm depressed' feels powerless to a condition that I have little control over.

As I've done this, I've noticed how many people have fallen into the same pattern. One friend, in particular, says 'I'm depressed' quite frequently. When I ask 'why?' it's often hard for people to pinpoint a reason or feeling. They say 'I dunno. I'm just depressed.' ME: "when did it start? Did something happen to trigger it?' THEM: 'I'm not sure. Just life.' I've noticed in a few friends that it tends to happen when they find themselves with time alone, unscheduled. Just a hunch, but I think most people are so overscheduled that they have no idea how to be alone and ok with it.

This ties into the tendency to 'isolate' when 'depressed'. I agree completely that support is crucial to health, but there is some functional value in being alone, especially when healing. Alone time seems to be blurred with isolating which is pathologized.

Hope this makes some sense. Just a working hypothesis.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings on this. What you've written makes a lot of sense and it's reassuring to be reminded that wanting to spend a lot of time alone is okay.

I've been feeling a bit uneasy with myself lately because I just don't want to be around people very much and have been postponing things like non-crucial medical appointments and getting a large piece of furniture removed from the house. I take care of the basics, like grocery shopping and such just fine, but I'm not inclined to do much more than that for now. (Not that I've ever been the least bit extroverted, most definitely not.) I'm not feeling at all down or bored, I just prefer to be alone a lot.

There are a lot of people who are uncomfortable being alone with no distractions. I'm not sure why that is, but I've known people who either have to be out and about being entertained somehow, or they've got the TV on every waking moment. I don't understand this at all, because I've always been the opposite.

For now, email plus letters back and forth with those few friends who are computer-shy, this forum and another (on a completely unrelated subject, just a personal interest of mine), and a few blogs are enough human contact. It's good to be reminded that this not pathological. :)

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

A comment (on a blog I think) described that SSRIs allow us to be comfortable being alone b/c they decrease desire to bond - I've always been independent and self-entertaining but I believe I was even more of a loner while on SS/NRIs - it bothered me at times and I searched for anyplace to belong and then during early w/d I got fairly freaked by being a loner (husband doesn't participate in life) -

This has been such a bizarre experience - I'm not certain where I'll end up on the independence spectrum -

You are better than any Psychiatrist ~ Therapist...

I have been thinking alot today over what has been discussed here and I felt some relief from it. Thank you.

Barbara you have a powerful message, thanks for sharing, you to Jemima, Alto, Shanti.

I have never really given myself permission to sit with anger, sadness, grief, etc. I have lumped them into 'the depression box.'

The counselor I see has pointed out to me on a number of occasions that what I may be feelng is not depression, but rather sadness. I have had depression, you know the kind you feel in your body.

I am going to spend some time journaling on this tonight. Thanks everyone.

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Once in awhile my ruminations lead somewhere ;)

Nikki - I agree completely with what Jemima said and didn't mean to gloss over your mother's health condition - that is a big reason to feel down and scared - please let us know how she is -

Money is a big stressor for me b/c it represents independence - I hate being dependent on anyone -

• 1 month later...

The term 'clinical depression' has been thrown about recently and reminded me of this thread. I bristle at the word now. What is 'depression'?? In my opinion, it is a convenient way to dismiss the feelings and emotions that are part or result of life challenges, physiological conditions, existential questions. The more we allow this term (or any label) to enter our dialogue, we are reinforcing psychiatry's existence and power in our lives and society as a whole.

Shanti, LOVE that poster!

• Moderator Emeritus

The term 'clinical depression' has been thrown about recently and reminded me of this thread. I bristle at the word now. What is 'depression'?? In my opinion, it is a convenient way to dismiss the feelings and emotions that are part or result of life challenges, physiological conditions, existential questions. The more we allow this term (or any label) to enter our dialogue, we are reinforcing psychiatry's existence and power in our lives and society as a whole.

Shanti, LOVE that poster!

HI Barb, I beg to differ.. depression is a descriptive word that is used as a short hand for a number of symptoms. Words are only just that, but when they are used to discount feelings, that's a very different kettle of fish. There is NEVER a good reason (actually, good or otherwise) to devalue the way someone feels. You don't think it would be just as easy to dismiss what someone feels by using different terminology?

Also, as I've stated previously, a term like depression is only good as a short hand. I use such words only to point to someone's inner world, whether caused by neuroendocrine imbalances or unconscious conflicts. For me it means a low mood, accompanied by other manifestations.. but I take this no further than to ask how this is effecting the speakers life.

PS.. I would also not use the descriptor: cyclical.. that is starting to slice and dice. The work I use comes from the verb Verb:

Make (someone) feel utterly dispirited or dejected.

Reduce the level or strength of activity in (something, esp. an economic or biological system).

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Schuyler,

From my perspective at this point in time, I don't see any positive value to any DSM diagnoses. It is not only 'depression' that I see used as a trashcan term, but also 'schizophrenia', 'bipolar' and most other DSM/mental health diagnoses. All are subjective and, once rendered, are part of a person's medical record as 'incurable, chronic' disorders. If someone seeks help, even from a psychotherapist, for depression or anxiety, they are put into a high risk category for health and life insurance (if paid through insurance). I would have extreme difficulty getting insurance now after being diagnosed and treated for 'depression' that was actually underlying endocrine disorder to begin with.

I went through nearly 2 decades of pharmacologic treatment, hospitalizations as I worsened. Nobody suggested psychotherapy or acknowledged that I was, perhaps, mourning the loss of my career and independence. So, it disturbs me tremendously to hear someone say "I'm depressed" as a default without considering other primary emotions that are a natural part of life. We don't hear people saying "I feel hypothyroid" or "I feel useless/hopeless because I lost my job". It's an automatic to say "I'm depressed" in today's world. It's a disconnect and feelings become pathologized.

Im sure that some psychotherapists utilize DSM as shorthand while addressing underlying causes. For me, I dont think Axis IV was ever used. I simply see no positive use of DSM. There is no other specialty of medicine that has its own diagnostic manual.

I mean no offense to anyone! It's a habit I've caught myself and others in and am trying to break for myself. It's a very slippery slope.

I heard the term clinical depressionfrom a friend of mine who is a Nurse. She described herself as having clinical depression. My understanding was that meant that it comes and goes in cycles without a trigger or event.

That was why I was asking if anyone heard of it. It scared me a bit, because for some time before I posted this thread I was having these "bouts of what I called depression." Involuntary crying and for me I get an overall body sensation that lets me know it isn't sadness, it's a form of depression.

I believe I have had "real depression" on a few occasions. Scared me to death, couldn't pull myself out of it. Dark place. Hopelessness, lack of joy, not being able to participate in conversations because of the nagging body sensations of depression.

I can't tell you how much I can't stand those feelings.

Somwhere along the line, I received the message that sadness, fear and crying go into that "depression box" Barb mentioned.

I guess I am still afraid of feeling blue. I always look for reassurance that it's okay to be down.

WD does not help these emotions...

Hugs

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

I am in NO WAY minimizing the suffering or severity of what is known as "depression"!! It is very real, I know from personal experience. I am challenging the use of the "mental illness" terminology without ruling out the array of medical/physiological conditions that can cause mood states as well as hallucinations/voice, delusions/delirium, aggressive behavior, etc. When I worked with Geropsych, it was Rule #1 to rule out medical conditions. I don't know if that is still the case.

The reason I am so strong-minded about this is because once someone is diagnosed with depression, bipolar, etc., there is no "cure" or official undiagnosing that I am aware of. Gianna may be able to speak to the official route to undiagnosing. Also (and I have heard this repeatedly coming from MD husband) most somatic complaints (pain, GI, Headache) are later attributed to "depression" and not addressed as new or "not caused by or part of depression". I recently learned of a woman who was diagnosed and treated for depression for years while thyroid cancer went undetected. The symptoms mimic depression and bipolar, possibly psychosis. An out of whack endocrine system can produce any "mental" effects.

Nikki, were your reproductive or other hormones assessed during your episodes of depression? I just don't think that people suddenly or cyclically dive into a black mood for no reason. Also, ADs never worked for me so my feelings on this are quite strong. I mean no offense to anyone nor am I saying that the darkness is not real. I know what it's like to see no light at the end of the tunnel. Some of the time I cant even see the tunnel. It is horrid.

My main issue is that once the mental illness diagnoses are in place, the underlying MEDICAL causes are not addressed. When people throw their own feelings into the depression trashcan, it's very easy to skip over and never address the gut-level emotions.

I overhear alot of disturbing doctor conversations in my home. :( I cant describe how maddening it is to hear to hear that a pain patient's distress isn't consistent with MRI findings or EMG tests (almost autocorrected to EMF tests!), so "better do psych testing..." MANY pain docs do psych screen before ever treating pain patients to determine how they will respond to treatment. ie. If psych markers show up, is likely a somaticizer/exaggerates/malingers.

EX: just asked husband about psychometric testing in pain patients ... his response: "it's used to determine if person has personality disorder or traits that wont respond to pain treament , such as somataform or conversion disorder". Me: "how do you treat pain in that person?" HIM: "personality disorders don't respond to any treatment (psych drugs), so CBT is only thing to treat pain." The MMPI is used by pain management docs.

This is what I hear frequently in my home. Arggghhh!!!!! My blood pressure must be sky high right now.

Barb, do they actually treat pain in those patients? I had a bad back for a while, and I can tell you that I started out in pain, but after a few months of that I was in pain and depressed. :( Why are they treating physical pain with psych drugs? Maybe I'm skeptical because antidepressants have caused me pain (bruxing).

(It took months, but time and rest were needed and eventually it healed and I've been reasonably fine ever since. I certainly needed pain relief during that time, though I was too scared of addiction to use anything stronger than codeine, so I used that cautiously and settled for taking the edge off.)

I also know what you mean. The darkness is real. It is awful and not to be minimised, however, in my opinion it is a SYMPTOM, not a disease. If I go to a doctor with pain in my legs I don't want to be diagnosed with "sore legs". I want to know - is it broken, is it sprained, have I got some broken glass in there, is it bone cancer? To me, saying someone has "Depression" is the same as saying "Sore Leg Syndrome". Noone would settle for being told they had "Sore Leg Syndrome", they would keep asking until they got an actual answer.

Climbing down off my soapbox...

2005 St John's Wort / 2006-2012 Lexapro 20mg, 2 failed attempts to stop, tapered over 4.5 months in early 2012

January 2013 started Sertraline, over time worked up to 100mg

July 2014 Sertraline dropped from 100mg to 75mg, held for six months, slower tapering until 2019 22 Dec 3.2mg

2020 Sertraline 19 Jan 3.1mg, 26 Jan 3.0mg; 1 Mar 2.9, 7 Mar 2.8, May (some drops here) 24 May 2.5, May 29 2.4, June 21 2.3, June 28 2.2mg,  July 4 2.1mg, July 24 (or maybe a bit before) 2mg, early Nov switched to home made suspension; 29 Nov 1.8mg; approx 25 Dec 1.6mg)

2021 Some time in about Jan/Feb realised probably on more like 1.8mg and poss mixing error in making suspension; doses after 10 Feb accurate; 10 Feb 1.6mg; 7 Mar 1.4, continued monthly

10% drops until 1mg, then dropped 0.1mg monthly.

May 2022,0.1mg, now dropping 0.01mg per week

29 August 2022 - first day of zero!

My thread here at SA: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1775-bubbles/page/21/

Current: Armour Thyroid

Bubbles,

Will answer better later. Here's a better explanation of conversation:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2333-psychometric-testing-to-determine-pain-treatment/page__pid__23081#entry23081

I hear this type of discussion so often and it sends thru the roof every time!

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy