Musab: Remeron (Mirtazapine) cold turkey

Musab

*Symptoms are in BOLD font, the other things are just my story. 
I have quit Remeron since 64 days now (quit it abruptly), i am not so sure if these symptoms i am facing are due to my withdrawal. and i really need help with that! so if you think these symptoms are familiar please let me know.  
my life is a nightmare right now, and only yesterday i realized that this craziness that i am living in is maybe because of the medication. i used to fight my ego for (as i thought it was the reason for all of this) i thought that i was over demanding and needy. but no man, i can't be demanding these very basic things that are absolutely have no link with consumption.  
i am a very thoughtful guy, a bookish person, very honest with myself, i don't just blame something for being the reason of my shity life. but now my concentration is zero, like a maniac anything that is moving around me grabs my concentration immediately. i used to be very chill and calm ( i am still for everybody else, but from the inside it's just torture)    
but at this stage, i am pretty confident that this is just not normal. 
my symptoms are as follow: 
I have had an emotional shock before quieting, it made me less concentrated, and at that stage remeron was not doing a good job as it used to be. i made a trip for 1 month and i quit it during that trip. 
after i got back, things started to get so bad. i am literally fearful of light, i just turn off the lights and sleep by myself wishing that no body would come in. fearful of my own family, meeting someone by chance. it's not like normal fear, it's just my heart starts beating so fast that i am paralyzed and can't do anything. 
i am absolutely disconnected from reality, i don't have any logical thinking (i find it hard to differentiate between what is right and what is wrong), ideas cannot be linked together in anyway. i would be thinking about something and an another totally different idea just swipe me with it (like a hallucination, it grabs my attention and just hold on it) 
- severe depression (even though the feeling of depression is not a problem anymore comparing it to these other things), i am totally fine with depression, but not having a sense of reality is just something that i don't think anyone could handle,  i just can't think because my mind keeps jumping with other useless stuff. 
i think i have a digestive problems, dry mouth, cramps (especially when i sleep)
- social anxiety, with the same type of fear. 
- raceful and self harm thoughts , suicidal thoughts 
- sometimes hallucinations (i see dark objects on the floor, that do not exist) 
- excessive sexual desire 
- stiff muscles all the time, even when i wake up i feel tired as if i was running or smth (i forgot what the concept "relaxation" even means) 
- i have a problem waking up in the morning, with a very very bad depression (i hated the sun (light) for this reason).  

are these a symptoms of withdrawing? or am i having a rough days? 
and if it is, for how long would it take? is it better to keep going cold turkey? (i don't have any problem with it, i can handle it) but i don't know does it have any dangerous results (medically speaking)? 
Thank you ❤️ 

Remeron (mirtazapine):
- i started taking 30 mg, 2.5 years ago. 
- i lowered it to 15 mg after one year from starting the medication. 
- 64 days ago, i went cold turkey. 

• Moderator Emeritus

3 hours ago, Musab said:

are these a symptoms of withdrawing? or am i having a rough days? 
and if it is, for how long would it take? is it better to keep going cold turkey? (i don't have any problem with it, i can handle it) but i don't know does it have any dangerous results (medically speaking)? 

Musab,

Welcome to SA.  I'm sorry you're having a hard time.

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.  Please give the dosage you were on when you cold-turkeyed.

Many of the symptoms you report are typical of withdrawal from psychiatric drugs.  Here is some information on withdrawal:

Light sensitivity is a common withdrawal symptom.

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

Going cold turkey can make the process of healing more difficult and lengthy.  You may want to consider a reinstatement of a very small dose of Remeron.  Re instatement of a very small dose of the original drug s the only known way to reduce withdrawal symptoms.  Once you have completed your signature, including your dosage, we can suggest a dosage to reinstate if this is something you want to consider.

The only other alternative is to try and wait out the symptoms and manage as best you can until your central nervous system returns to homeostasis.  Unfortunately no one can give you an exact timeline as to when you will start feeling better and while some do recover relatively easily, for others it can take many months or longer.  

Reinstatement works most predictably within three months of the last dose.  Please read:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms. -- at least the first page of the topic

A lot of people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

This is your Introduction page, where you can ask questions and post updates.

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

23 hours ago, Gridley said:

Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

This is your Introduction page, where you can ask questions and post updates.

Hey, i just updated my signature. 
Remeron (mirtazapine):

these are the dosages that i recall, i lowered it and raised it (15 mg or 30 mg) a few times that i can't certainly remember the dates, but they weren't for a long periods. the 15 mg is the dosage that i quit on. 

Remeron (mirtazapine):

• Administrator

Welcome, Musab.

How's your sleep?

Quite often, withdrawal insomnia occurs when people go off mirtazapine. If you're sleeping well -- that's very good. Take care of your sleep, no late nights for a while

As Gridley pointed out, you may have some symptoms while you are recovering from quitting the drug too fast. You might try a tiny reinstatement, such as 2mg to start, to stop withdrawal symptoms.

Otherwise, you'll have to cope with symptoms until they go away. This can be very gradual. For example, if you're light-sensitive, you may wish to wear tinted glasses indoors, especially when using the computer.

Please read the links Gridley kindly gave you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

On 3/24/2019 at 4:24 PM, Musab said:

i am literally fearful of light, i just turn off the lights and sleep by myself wishing that no body would come in. fearful of my own family, meeting someone by chance. it's not like normal fear, it's just my heart starts beating s

It’s withdrawal. I have it too. Terrified of everything. Bizarre things.

1999:  Paroxetine (20mg). Age 16. 2007-2008: Fluoxetine (Prozac) for 1.5 years (age 25) Citalopram 20mg 2002-2005, 2009: Escitalopram (20mg), 2 weeks, (age 26) (adverse  reaction)/*Valium 5mg/Temazepam 10mg 2010: Mirtazipine (Remeron)( do not remember dosage) 2010, 5 months.                     2010-2017: Citalopram (20mg) (age 27 to 34) 2016: i.1st Sept- 31st Oct Citalopram 10mg , ii.1st November 2017-30th November 2017, Citalopram 5mg iii.1st December 2017- 4th February 2018, Citalopram 0mg, iv.5th February 2018- March 2018 Citalopram 5mg (10mg every other day) 28th February- tried titration of 5mg ( some adverse effects)

2018: 1st March 2018- 1st June Citalopram 10 mg (tablet form) /started titration 8mg , then 7 mg.2018: June 15th- 10th July Citalopram 10 mg pill every other day 2018: 10th July - 13th Sept Citalopram- 0mg  (CBD oil first month of 0mg, passiflora on and off) 2018 13th Sept Citalopram  2mg ,  approx 16th Sept 4mg , approx 25th Sept 6mg held.  2019: 11 Feb 19: 7mg (instant bad rxn) 12 Feb 19 6mg held 1 May 19 5.4mg held 5 Oct 19 5.36mg 22 Oct 19 5.29mg 30 Oct 19 5.23mg 4/NOV/19 5.18mg 12 Nov 19 5.08mg 20 Nov 19 4.77mg 7 May 22 2.31mg 17/09/2023 0.8mg

(Herbal/Supplements since 1st September: Omega Fish Oil 1200mg, 663mg of EPA- 2 tablets a day, magnesium and magnesium bath salts)

I did not die, and yet I lost life’s breath
- Dante

@Altostrata

yes, they were helpful 
my sleep is actually better than it was when i was on the drug, i don't take caffeine or sugar since i left the drug. 

but regarding the reinstatement, i don't feel that i want to do that. is it true that it might elongate the symptoms? 
can the brain handle cold turkey without any reinstatement?  is it faster, slower? 
is it similar to quieting nicotine for example, if you cold turkey it would be faster with higher symptoms, if slower it would take longer but less symptoms, are these two similar cases? 

Thank you 

Remeron (mirtazapine):

Musab, my question is why did you quit your medicine ?

1995 to 1997: different antidepressants at maintenance dosages along with benzos 3 times a day.  

1998 to 2000: Citalopram 20mg + Benzo twice daily.

2001 to 2015: Sertraline 50 mg + Alprazolam (half of 0.25 mg once daily which is next to nothing)

2016 to 2017: Sertraline 50 mg + Dosulepin (Prothiaden) 25 mg (NO BENZO)

2017 to 2018: Dosulepin (Prothiaden) 50 mg  (NO BENZO)

2018 (Earlier): Olanzapine (Zyprexa) 5 mg + Clonazepam 0.25 mg x 2 daily (7 weeks on Olanzapine was a disaster, antipsychotics are not for panic disorder)

2018 August : Sertraline 50 mg for 20 days (couldn't take it any longer) + Clonazepam.

2018 Sept. 1st week: Dosulepin (Prothiaden) 25 mg + Clonazepam 0.25 mg -- 2018 Sept. 2nd week: Dosulepin (Prothiaden) 12.5mg +Clonazepam 0.25 mg 

2018 November: Clonazepam 0.50 mg at night (for sleep disturbed by tinnitus)

2019 January to now: Clonazepam 0.25 mg at night and 0.25 mg in the morning.

Remember: Going out for a Walk or for a Change does help, it may take a few days or weeks or months for some, but it definitely helps.

Here is Knowledge for you: The more you Know about your sickness the more bad it is for you, so forget about it !

• Administrator

Musab, if you find your withdrawal symptoms intolerable, reinstating a very small amount of the drug can relieve them. But this is not guaranteed, you might have a bad reaction to the drug.

Withdrawal syndrome lasts as long as it lasts. Everyone is diffferent. Symptoms keep on changing in a very frustrating way. See

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Are We There Yet? How Long is Withdrawal Going to Take?

"Is it always going to be like this?"

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

17 hours ago, Ather said:

Musab, my question is why did you quit your medicine ?

@Ather

First of all, i have a huge problems with taking chemicals and inject them inside my body. These medications that effect the brain are so random, no body actually knows how they exactly operate, and their effectiveness. 

Second, the effect of the medication in the last period have gone in a negative way, so i had to raise the dosage but no i won't do that. 

And third, i felt better and i have been able to deal with normal depression in my everyday life. 

Remeron (mirtazapine):

21 hours ago, Musab said:

@Ather

First of all, i have a huge problems with taking chemicals and inject them inside my body. These medications that effect the brain are so random, no body actually knows how they exactly operate, and their effectiveness. 

Second, the effect of the medication in the last period have gone in a negative way, so i had to raise the dosage but no i won't do that. 

And third, i felt better and i have been able to deal with normal depression in my everyday life. 

OK that's cool, stay positive and hopefully you will get better and better with time.

1995 to 1997: different antidepressants at maintenance dosages along with benzos 3 times a day.  

1998 to 2000: Citalopram 20mg + Benzo twice daily.

2001 to 2015: Sertraline 50 mg + Alprazolam (half of 0.25 mg once daily which is next to nothing)

2016 to 2017: Sertraline 50 mg + Dosulepin (Prothiaden) 25 mg (NO BENZO)

2017 to 2018: Dosulepin (Prothiaden) 50 mg  (NO BENZO)

2018 (Earlier): Olanzapine (Zyprexa) 5 mg + Clonazepam 0.25 mg x 2 daily (7 weeks on Olanzapine was a disaster, antipsychotics are not for panic disorder)

2018 August : Sertraline 50 mg for 20 days (couldn't take it any longer) + Clonazepam.

2018 Sept. 1st week: Dosulepin (Prothiaden) 25 mg + Clonazepam 0.25 mg -- 2018 Sept. 2nd week: Dosulepin (Prothiaden) 12.5mg +Clonazepam 0.25 mg 

2018 November: Clonazepam 0.50 mg at night (for sleep disturbed by tinnitus)

2019 January to now: Clonazepam 0.25 mg at night and 0.25 mg in the morning.

Remember: Going out for a Walk or for a Change does help, it may take a few days or weeks or months for some, but it definitely helps.

Here is Knowledge for you: The more you Know about your sickness the more bad it is for you, so forget about it !

@Altostrata i have took a dose yesterday, 3.5 mg of mirtazapine . 
i have slept over 12 hours over the last 18 hours. i am kind of dizzy and feeling tired and numb.  
is this a bad reaction? or should i keep going with it? 

Remeron (mirtazapine):