LIN22: 11 Years on Venlor (Venlafaxine), Tappered of 3 months, 6 weeks off Venlor

LIN22

Hi, I am new to talking about my story with Venlor.  I was prescribed Venlor by a GP for anxiety and panic attacks 11 years ago.    Venlor made me feel tired, brain fog, dizzy, memory problems, anxiety,,, so I decided to wean myself of.  I am now 6 weeks off Venlor.  Had crying spells, anxiety, night sweats while weaning of it.  Started  to excersize and eating healthier.  Still feel very emotional and getting anxiety attacks.  Still struggling with brain fog and sometimes feel I am off balance. Is there anybody that is going through the same things?

Venlor 75mg 10 years ,1 year 37.5mg.Tappered of taking 37.5mg every second day for 4 weeks, then every third day for 2 weeks, then every fouth day for 2 weeks.Then stopped completely.Last dose was on 10 Feb 2019.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, LIN22.

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.  Please include how fast you tapered and the date of your last dose on Venlafaxine (known in the U.S. as Effexor).    Please go to this link to create your signature.

The symptoms you are experiencing are withdrawal symptoms from tapering too fast.  We recommend tapering no more than 10% of current dose every four weeks.

To help you understand the symptoms you are experiencing, here is some information on withdrawal.  

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

At this time, reinstatement of a very small dose of the original drug is the only known way to help alleviate withdrawal symptoms..  The only other alternative is to try and wait out the symptoms and manage as best you can until your central nervous system returns to homeostasis.  Unfortunately no one can give you an exact timeline as to when you will start feeling better and while some do recover relatively easily, for others it can take many months or longer.  

Reinstatement isn't a guarantee of diminished symptoms for everyone but it's the best tactic available.  You're still in the time period where reinstatement predictably works, up to 3 months after last dose.  It is best to reinstate as soon as possible after withdrawal symptoms occur. We usually suggest a much smaller reinstatement dose than your last dose.  These drugs are strong, and when reinstating it is better to start with a small amount and increase if symptoms remain unbearable. Your system has become sensitized and If you take too much it may be too much for your brain and can cause you become unstable.   Then, once you've stabilized on that dosage, you can begin a 10% per month taper down to zero.   

If you are interested in reinstatement, we can suggest a reinstatement dose after you've completed your signature.  Please do not reinstate without receiving our suggestion.  Please read:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms. -- at least the first page of the topic

This link explains how to obtain the small doses of Venlafaxine you will need for a reinstatement:

This is your introduction topic, where you can ask questions and post updates.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Hello,

Yes just about everyone here on SA is or has experienced those issues. You went off the Venlafaxine way to fast. I also tapered to quickly and experienced the vertigo, brain fog, anxiety, crying spells, confusion, rumination, etc. Your centeral nervous system is very sensitive right now. Unfortunately, there isn’t a time frame anyone can give you as to when you will feel better. You are in the right place though, lots of support here at SA. The moderators of this website are very informative. If you have any questions or concerns I can fill you in on my experience with venlafaxine. Hang in there, things will get better.

Citalopram: 2011

Sertraline February: 2013-November 2013

Escitalopram January: 2014-August 2014

Escitalopram November: 2014-January 2016

Venlafaxine: April 2016-January 2018 (8 month taper included)

Thank you, I appreciate the response. I The worst for me is the brain fog and not being able to find words when in a conversation.Its so frustrating.I am trying meditation and reading to help improve my brain.

Venlor 75mg 10 years ,1 year 37.5mg.Tappered of taking 37.5mg every second day for 4 weeks, then every third day for 2 weeks, then every fouth day for 2 weeks.Then stopped completely.Last dose was on 10 Feb 2019.

• manymoretodays changed the title to LIN22: 11 Years on Venlor (Venlafaxine), Tappered of 3 months, 6 weeks off Venlor
1 hour ago, LIN22 said:

Gracias, agradezco la respuesta. Lo peor para mí es la niebla del cerebro y no poder encontrar palabras cuando estoy en una conversación. Es tan frustrante. Estoy tratando de meditar y leer para mejorar mi cerebro.

Hi friend, I have been reducing effexor for 150 months, now I am 37.5mg and even going slowly I am suffering from discomfort, it is difficult to think clearly, reason complexly ... I trust that it will improve with time, I am sure that the stress the situation adds fuel to the fire so you have to look to be as calm as possible. About what you said about not finding the words, the same happens to me since I am in retreat, simply the mind does not flow easily, there are some barriers that cloud cognition. It will improve, you have to believe in it. Much encouragement

Mayo 2018: Venlafaxina 150 mg y toma 64mg Diciembre 2018: Venlafaxina xr 56mg 

Diciembre de 2018: Venlafaxina xr 58mg Enero de 2019: Venlafaxina xr 56mg

Febrero 2019: Venlafaxina xr 37,5 mg + 40 perlas Mayo 2019: Venlafaxina xr 37,5 mg + 7 perlas Mayo 2019: Venlafaxina xr 37,5mg

Octubre 2019: venlafaxina xr 18mg aprox.

Enero 2020: 50 perlas Febrero 2020: 40 perlasMarzo 2020: 30 perlas 

Abril 2020: 35 perlas (en crisis)

Agosto 2020: 25 perlas, 23 perlas Noviembre: 03/11/2020 26 perlas 05/11/2030 22 perlas, 22/11/2020 24 perlas.Diciembre: 40 perlas (5 días) , vuelvo a 30 perlas.

• Administrator

Welcome, LIN.

You have post-withdrawal syndrome. Symptoms may take many months to go away.

Reinstating a very small amount of the drug can reduce withdrawal symptoms. Do you have any Venlor left? Is it a capsule with tiny beads inside or a few small tablets?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you Alanmane, for your encouragement.Altostrata, no I don't have any Venlor left.  It was capsules with tiny beads inside.  

• Administrator

If you can get more Venlor with the tiny beads inside, you might reinstate a very small amount, such as 6 beads. This may stop the withdrawal symptoms. You'd stabilize on that for some months, then taper off very slowly later. See

What is withdrawal syndrome?

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Otherwise, you'll have to cope with symptoms for however long they may last.

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

"Is it always going to be like this?"

The importance of recognizing you're feeling good

Withdrawal dialogues & encouragement

Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.