Altostrata

How to talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal? What to expect?

ChessieCat

I recently contacted PCCA - Professional Compounding Centers of America after another member had contacted compounding pharmacies in their area and was told that Pristiq could not be compounded (USA).  I am in Australia and have been getting my Pristiq compounded for the last 3 years.

I suggest that you contact the pccarx and ask them if your drug can be compounded.  Also mention that your doctor/psychiatrist says that it cannot.  If it is able to be compounded ask them to provide something in writing that you can give to the medical professional.  Also ask for contact details for the pharmacies in your area who can do the compounding.  

At least if you get the information from the pccarx you can then tell them that you have it from the horse's mouth that it can be done.

I have not provided Ranel's address because it may change in the future if this person leaves the organisation but this is the one I used and you can send it   Subject:   ATTN:  Clinical Compounding Pharmacist

customerserviceexternal AT SYMBOL pccarx DOT com

I received the following response:

Thanks so much for contacting us regarding this.  There are definitely some options on compounding this product [Pristiq] and we are happy to assist a pharmacy with the knowledge on how to do this.  We have many member pharmacies within the state of Washington that are PCCA members and would be able to assist this patient.  Do you know where in Washington State your contact is located?  If you can provide that information I can direct them to a pharmacy that is a PCCA member.  That pharmacy is welcome to contact me through our members only website or by calling customer service and I can assist them with a formulation. 

Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Ranel A. Larsen, Pharm D, RPh | Clinical Compounding Pharmacist

PCCA | 9901 South Wilcrest Dr. | Houston, TX 77099-5132

Ph: 800.331.2498    

Fax: 800.874.5760 | PCD Fax: 713-234-6009

www.pccarx.com

BfromNJ
1 hour ago, ChessieCat said:

I recently contacted PCCA - Professional Compounding Centers of America after another member had contacted compounding pharmacies in their area and was told that Pristiq could not be compounded (USA).  I am in Australia and have been getting my Pristiq compounded for the last 3 years.

I suggest that you contact the pccarx and ask them if your drug can be compounded.  Also mention that your doctor/psychiatrist says that it cannot.  If it is able to be compounded ask them to provide something in writing that you can give to the medical professional.  Also ask for contact details for the pharmacies in your area who can do the compounding.  

At least if you get the information from the pccarx you can then tell them that you have it from the horse's mouth that it can be done.

I have not provided Ranel's address because it may change in the future if this person leaves the organisation but this is the one I used and you can send it   Subject:   ATTN:  Clinical Compounding Pharmacist

customerserviceexternal AT SYMBOL pccarx DOT com

I received the following response:

Thanks so much for contacting us regarding this.  There are definitely some options on compounding this product [Pristiq] and we are happy to assist a pharmacy with the knowledge on how to do this.  We have many member pharmacies within the state of Washington that are PCCA members and would be able to assist this patient.  Do you know where in Washington State your contact is located?  If you can provide that information I can direct them to a pharmacy that is a PCCA member.  That pharmacy is welcome to contact me through our members only website or by calling customer service and I can assist them with a formulation. 

Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Ranel A. Larsen, Pharm D, RPh | Clinical Compounding Pharmacist

PCCA | 9901 South Wilcrest Dr. | Houston, TX 77099-5132

Ph: 800.331.2498    

Fax: 800.874.5760 | PCD Fax: 713-234-6009

www.pccarx.com

It wasn't that they said it can't be,  they weren't willing to even entertain it.  They pretended to not even know what compounding is. 

ChessieCat

If you want to get your drug compounded you are going to need to be assertive and/or find another doctor.

If you get the information from the pccarx you can present them with it, it in writing, and they won't have any excuse.

BfromNJ
19 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

If you want to get your drug compounded you are going to need to be assertive and/or find another doctor.

If you get the information from the pccarx you can present them with it, it in writing, and they won't have any excuse.

Well then I suppose I have to find another doctor.   Because those two will not help me.  

BfromNJ

Ive hit a roadblock with my regular GP and psych nurse.  I will not be going back to my psych nurse, my last visit was upsetting to say the least.  He would not even answer me when I was speaking with him, just typed away on his computer looking for another me to put me on.  no way.   The way I am feeling, I was not in the frame of mind to argue with him and ive had it with his condescending, invalidating way.  Taking phone calls during my session and texting on his phone.     Nothing I say is taken seriously, just written off as yet more anxiety or my ocd.  So if I cannot find another doctor to help me with a taper, I need to do so myself.   I am frustrating and sick of being on meds that are making my symptoms worse everyday.  I feel that time is running out and I will be like this forever.