Chinese herbs

crista

My doctor wants to treat my Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome with Chinese Herbs. I was on Progesterone but it made my withdrawal symptoms worse. I'm worried about taking herbs because I'm afraid I'll get a bad reaction. I am very hypersensitive. If I introduce the herbs slowly, you think I'll be ok? What kind of reactions can you get from herbs?

• Administrator

Chinese herbs are unpredictable because they're a mixture containing all kinds of chemicals.

I guess if you can take just a little bit to start, you can stop if you get a bad reaction.

Is your doctor a practitioner of Chinese medicine?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

There is no one reaction to herbs. There are many herbs that are used medicinally and each has different and sometimes surprisingly strong effects. Herbs, unlike prescription drugs, usually contain numerous chemicals that affect both mind and body. Garlic, for instance, has 26 constituants that are known to have medicinal effects and 35 others with unknown effects. Penicillin, on the other hand, contains one constituant, penicillin, which is why so many bacteria are now antibiotic-resistant. It's much easier for the "bugs" to adapt to one ingredient than sixty-one.

I've lately been experimenting with a few herbs that are recommended for tinnitus. Two days ago I made my first cup of tea from Black Cohosh root. I stupidly didn't re-read the directions and used twice as much herb as recommended, and also didn't remember the part about this particular herb being a powerful relaxant. I had intended to pick up cat food from a nearby warehouse that afternoon, but could barely pick up my feet. I went to sleep for about four hours instead. Drinking that tea was like taking a double dose of Ativan.

So be very cautious, especially if your doctor isn't intimately familiar with the hypersensitivity so many of us have experienced in withdrawal. Along with Alto, I'd also want to be sure that the doctor is experienced in Chinese medicine. Otherwise, he's shooting in the dark.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

OMG Jemima...you couldn't get up....too much.

Crista like Alto and Crista said, I would want someone who is a seasoned practitioner of Chinese Medicine.

Years back I had the Epstein-Barr Virus, a friend gave me Pill Curing from an Asian store. It has been around for many years and pregnanat women can take it for morning sickness. I could not read the ingredients, ther were many of them like Alot and Jemima said. However I took them and they helped me a great deal without side effects.

Later that year there was a story in the NY Times about physician's at Sloan Kettering using Pill Curing for Cancer Patients undergoing treatment.

I have thought about Pill Curing recently, but I am too afraid to take it now.

There is no right or wrong, you can only try and see what happens. If you get the names of the herbs, Shanti may be able to tell you more about them.

Hugs

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

It is iffy with herbs and wd syndrome. Just be sure to start out small and see how you react.

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Chinese herbs are unpredictable because they're a mixture containing all kinds of chemicals.

I guess if you can take just a little bit to start, you can stop if you get a bad reaction.

Is your doctor a practitioner of Chinese medicine?

Ok thank you. Yes she is a practitioner of Chinese Medicine.

• Administrator

Just be cautious, even alternative practitioners do not understand the distinction between withdrawal symptoms and depression. If she is reading your symptoms as depression, the herbs may be stimulating. Make it absolutely clear to her that you do not want ANYTHING stimulating.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Ok I will make sure she doesn't give me anything stimulating. I also see her for acupuncture. I read that I should make sure she doesn't do anything to stimulate my nervous system. Is there anything else I should be sure she does not do? I don't want to set myself back.

• Administrator

Some of the Chinese remedies imported from China contain all kinds of contaminants, even drugs.

Oh boy. I don't feel comfortable taking them. I'm trying to treat my PCOS and everything I try to do can make me feel worse or is dangerous.

Crista,

My cousin has ,pcos, she has been using spearmint tea, I believe like 5 or more cups a day , light daily excerciae and she cut out gluten and white sugars from her diet. She is doing better. Hope that helps. !

Everything was ok. And then it wasn't.

Med History

11/2009- 50 mg Zoloft (1st ad ever) in combo w/.50 xanax for 2 weeks then use xanax as needed (1st benzo ever)

9 days on Zoloft, I was awake for 9 days straight C/T Zoloft

11/2009- trazadone to sleep for 2 weeks c/t Trazadone

12/2009 start 10 mg Lexapro w/ Xanax as needed

5/2010-3 week taper off lexapro

9/2010? back to Lexapro 10 mg after 5 or 6 weeks c/t leapro

12/2010-10mg paxil

5/2011-6 week paxil taper

8/2011 5mg lexapro

last lexapro pill January 7 2012

all this as per doc orders Thanks Doc!

Crista,

My cousin has ,pcos, she has been using spearmint tea, I believe like 5 or more cups a day , light daily excerciae and she cut out gluten and white sugars from her diet. She is doing better. Hope that helps. !

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it!

• 4 years later...

My naturopathic gave me the following to take. I'm not sure what to make of them or if they will interfere with any of the withdrawal symptoms  (numbness, tingling, muscle jerking etc. ) I'm currently facing. I can't plug these into drug checker because they are not your ordinary supplements. Any Thoughts or advice?

BrainNew™

(Bu Nao Yang Shen Pian)
An All Natural Chinese Herbal Supplement
200 mg 200 TabletsItem #:AH076P
★★★★★ ★★★★★ 4.9 out of 5 stars. Read reviews.    (9  
Write a review . This action will open a modal dialog.

Ask a question 
BrainNew™ (Bu Nao Yang Shen Pian, formerly Shen Jing Shuai Ruo Pian, 补脑养神片) is a Chinese herbal medicine specially formulated to help revitalize brain function for people who are suffering from mental stress and exhaustion.

Chai Hu Long Gu Mu Li Pian (Wan)

(NeuroSoothe™)
An All Natural Chinese Herbal Supplement
200 mg 200 TabletsItem #:AH086P
★★★★★ ★★★★★ 4.9 out of 5 stars. Read reviews.    (17  
Write a review . This action will open a modal dialog.

Ask a question 
Chai Hu Long Gu Mu Li Pian (Chai Hu Long Gu Mu Li Wan, Chai Hu Jia Long Gu Mu Li Tang, NeuroSoothe™, 柴胡龙骨牡蛎片) is a regarded herbal supplement used in traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) to calm irritability and anxiety, help insomnia, palpitations and the sensation of fullness in the body.This herbal remedy may also be used in some cases of schizophrenia, epilepsy, bipolar disorder, and drug withdrawal under the right TCM diagnosis.

Effexor XR 37.5mg (1st time 2003-2004 / 2nd time 2007-2008 / 3rd time 2010-current) Attempted to get off again in July of 2015 and did a year long taper only to reinstate by June 2016 due to failed taper. By July 2017 started to give this another try.

7.01.17 - 37.5mg fast forward to 3.25.18 - 26 mg  / 4.27.18 - 23.4 mg  / 5.20.18 - 21 mg  / 6.24.18 - 18.9 mg / 9.7.18 - 17 mg  / 10.13.18 - 15 mg / 11.10.18 - 13.5 mg 12.24.18 - 12 mg / 2.10.19 - 11 mg  / 3.6.19 - Updose to 13 mg and was better only for a month so decided to continue with tapering process. / 5.18.19 - 12 mg / 6.12.19 - 11 mg  / 7.7.19 - 11 mg  / 8.22.19 - 10 mg  / 10.4.19 - 9 mg   / 11.29.19 - 8.5mg / 12.16.19 - 8 mg / 1.24.20 - 7.5mg / 3.15.20 - 6.5mg / 3.29.20 - 6 mgs / 5.9.20  - 5.5 mgs / 5.23.20 - 5 mgs / 6.29.20 - 4.5 mgs / 7.10.20 - 4.25mgs / 7.24.20 - 4 mgs / 8.18.20 - 3.75mg / 9.1.20 - 3.5 mgs / 9.29.20 - 3 mgs but Horrendous insomnia suddenly appear preventing further tapering.

10.9.20 - Effexor Updose to 3.5mg

10.18.20 - Effexor Updose to 4 - 4.5 mg but no relief and insomnia got worse so.....

11.04.20 Effexor jump! with direct switch to Prozac 10mg.

12.4 - prozac 7.5mg 

12.20 - prozac 4mg 

• Moderator Emeritus

Ask your naturopath whether s/he's had patients withdrawing from psycho-neuroactive medications.  Most health professionals prescribe based on their experience with people who are NOT in withdrawal or are NOT tapering these medications. That experience cannot just be transferred to those who are.

Although the products you've posted are herbals, the descriptions suggest that they are psycho-neuroactive substances affecting the CNS (central nervous system). Since your CNS is already dealing with dose reductions in Effexor and (mirtazapine and with discontinuation of Lyrica and clonazepam, adding such substances seems like a risky move to me.

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

I don't have any advice, but thought you might be interested in the thread discussing acupuncture as well: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/136-acupuncture/

:)

On a side note, I also took Chinese herbs for one year. They (naturopath changed which herbs I took every few months) were stimulating for me. Taking them before and after each meal felt like drinking green tea, which I also quit because of the caffeine.

Edited by ChessieCat
Removed quoted Post #13 which contained advert

• 4 years later...

Chinese herbs/acunpture to ease withdrawal symptoms

Hello all, has anybody tapering on benzos received benefit or had a decrease in their symptoms by taking Chinese herbal formulas prescribed by a Doctor of Oriental medicine? I've been seeing a DOM for about 7 weeks combing acupuncture and his recommended herbal formula tailored to my specific symptoms, it seems initially it helped but not so sure at this point. I would appreciate feedback from anybody who has actually tried this approach during their tapering. Thanks

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

February 3rd 2021 1.5 mg Clonazepam

13.4 mg Nortriptylene

doing a water taper on the Nortriptylene but have been holding due to adverse nervous system activation

supplements 200mg Magnesium carbonate, good quality fish oil, vitamin E 400IU, B6 B12 Folate one every 2-3 days. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Chinese herbs

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy