The Mental Health Professional…vs creating our own therapeutic village…

GiaK

first published here: https://beyondmeds.com/2019/03/31/mental-health-professional/

When that random mental health professional you’re trying to explain your work to deletes your civil and respectful, but challenging, comments. **once again proving your point.

Mental health professionals like to tell us we are not having our experience if the experience makes them feel too uncomfortable.  That is exactly the reason why it is often unsafe for those of us with this experience to pursue care with professionals in general. Our process of discernment must get much deeper and more sensitive for this very reason. It’s almost amusing except that it’s dangerous for so many. We cannot go back into a system that harmed us when it continues to tell us that it’s not true.  See: Professional denial is a form of retraumatization

For the record I work with several professionals, however, at this point, they’re all my friends and we are able to break through convention entirely. To get so-called services from those you love is family-based energetics that pull us back into the fold rather than deny us.

Healing comes in many forms. Once one gets into the groove of their own path whether professional or not has very little to do with where we get support.

The only reason some of the folks I get support from are professionals is because that’s the world I come from– it’s absolutely unnecessary that they be professional that is somewhat incidental in this instance. Ecstatic dance serves as trauma therapy and it’s phenomenal. I’ve been writing about dance for years but I don’t think anyone understands its power if they’ve not experienced it. We are all peers on that dance floor and it’s profound. I do plan to write something that will attempt to get explicit about how it works.

Creating one’s own village is the only way at this point for some of us. Ultimately recreating the village in general is a method of healing for the entire collective.

See: The divide between client/patient/consumer and professionals (a collection)

and:

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

• ChessieCat changed the title to The Mental Health Professional…vs creating our own therapeutic village…

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy