DoxieMom

DoxieMom: Wanting to be off all the meds

DoxieMom

I started my tapering off yesterday.  I've done tapering before but only to prepare for a newer prescription.  This time I have decided to taper off of everything.  I am feeling the withdrawal symptoms but am determined to muddle through them.  I have an appointment with my psychiatrist tomorrow and will tell him what I am doing.  It's very scary to me because I don't know what to expect because I've been on something or another for the past 27 years.

Gridley
Posted (edited)

Welcome to SA, DoxieMom.

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.  Please include the drug(s) you are tapering off, the dosage and the rate at which you are tapering.  

I hope you are not tapering too fast.  We recommend tapering at no more than 10% of current dose every four weeks.  Some have to taper more slowly.  

These links explain the importance of tapering slowly.

We also recommend that you taper only one drug at  time.  Otherwise, if you run into problems, it will be difficult to identify which drug taper is causing the difficulty.

Tapering too fast can cause some very unpleasant withdrawal symptoms that are often quite long-lasting.

Once you've completed your signature with the information requested, we will be in a better position to make suggestions about your taper.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and post updates.

Edited by Gridley