Hello! I have been on Cymbalta for several years now, was taking 50mg daily.

over the last 6 months, with my doctors help, I’ve weaned down to the lowest dosage, which is 20mg capsule.

looking to hear how others have gotten off this horrible medication.  Thanks in advance!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Rayh, 

Welcome to SA. How are you feeling after having dropped from 50mg to 20mg in six months? 

I’m actually water titrating my medication now, but some people use scales to get down to the lower doses. I just crush my tablet with a mortar and pestle, and add water to it. There is a thread on how to water titrate in the Symptoms And Self Care section. 

We should never taper though until we feel stable. Also if you decide to water titrate it’s best to do a crosstaper from the tablet, because changing formulas can send us into waves. 

The crosstaper is as follows. 

3/4 old formula.                       1/4 of the new liquid. 

1/2 old formula.                        1/2 of the new liquid. 

1/4 old formula.                        3/4 of the new liquid. 

Then all liquid.

You do each stage for 3 to 7 days, or longer if you like. I once changed over formulations and ended up in waves for three months before I knew anything about crossovers. 

Could you please fill out a drug signature. Someone will send you the link, as well as links on water titrating, using scales, and  other tapering information.

Wishing you all the best with your tapering💚

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• Administrator

Welcome, Rayh.

Thanks, Carmie! One small correction: You can't water titate Cymbalta, it comes in capsules filled with tiny beads that should not be dissolved.

Rayh, have you had any withdrawal symptoms from reducing Cymbalta? What was your taper method?

Once you get down to 20mg, you open the capsules and commence taking out the beads. See Tips for tapering off Cymbalta (duloxetine)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi again Rayh, 

Looks like you’ll be counting beads, thanks for the correction Alto. I’ve never been on anything where I’ve had to count beads. I started with splitting my tablet with a pill cutter, and then water titrating it. 

How have you been feeling? What symptoms have you got now? Are you sleeping okay?

We can get off these meds, we just have to go really slowly, no more than 10% a month. 

Please let us know how you’re doing, sending hugs🤗

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

Thank you, Carmie, and Altostrata!

I went from 50mg down to 20mg by weaning 10mg per month.  At first I was very irritable at 20mg, so I went back up to 30mg for a couple months, then have been back down to 20mg for about a month now, and feeling fine, hoping to start removing beads soon, but don’t want to rush it, as I’ve heard horror stories about Cymbalta.

• Administrator

Sounds like you've got all in hand, Rayh.

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.