Coraliefraser89: tapering/updosing Zoloft - is what I’m going through normal?

Coraliefraser89

Hey everyone 😀 would love some advice please! Around 8 weeks ago I decided to taper by doctor instructions been on 3 years and stable happy/healthy loving life,  of Zoloft 50mg so I started 1/4 cutting my pill I was doing ok for 2 weeks but then it hit, insomnia, panic attacks. So I quick updosed back to 50 mg, then probally got worst side effects of updosing, panic attacks, anxiety, stomach pain, headaches. I actually think one day I took 100mg as I had forgotten I took a dose then remembered.  It’s now been 4-5 week since reinstatement still have side effects but panic is gone. And am thinking clearer again. I’m so up and down good days and bad days. Last 3 nights bad insomnia it’s horrible . Will take something tonight I have melatonin. 

My question is this normal??? Such a small cut and time frame and how long dose usually take to fully restablise. I’m happy to stay on 50mg for good I just wanna be my normal happy self. And sleep I need sleep it’s been up and down. 

50 mg Zoloft 3 years consistently 

tired to wean and have got severe side effects I cut the Zoloft 1/4 2 weeks later hit with side effects the updosed back to 50mg 

zoloft started October 2015 

25% wean February 16th 2018/ updosed 6th March due to severe side effects. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Coralie, 

Welcome to SA. I moved your post to introductions and updates. This is the place where you can ask questions, and journal. 

Could you please fill out a drug signature first, with the medication you’ve been on, the amounts and the dates. Someone will send you a link. Thank you. 

Yes, the withdrawals you are getting are totally normal. You cut your dose by too much. The recommendation for tapering is no more than 10% a month, I’m actually tapering down by under 4% now. 

Delayed withdrawals are very common. A lot of people when they taper may not feel the withdrawals straight away, but then it hits them later. It looks like that is what happened with you. 

You have tapered too quickly, and it might take a while to stabilise. Because you had already been on lower doses for a while, going back to 50mg might have been too high. I’ll check with the other mods, and see what they recommend, though you did say you are slowly starting to feel a bit better. 

All of us eventually stabilise, no matter what we’ve gone through. I’ve been on and off so many medications, it all started with chronic pain, and I ended up reaching stabilisation. It just takes a long time. My brain is so sensitised now though, that every tiny drop affects me. I will eventually heal, it’s one day at a time, and lots of patience. Tapering is a slow process. 

Once you stabilise again you can taper again, but this time go really slowly, always 10% or less a month, and listen to your body. 

Wishing you all the best in your healing journey💚

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• Administrator

Welcome, Coralie.

Some people are very sensitive to dosage reductions and get withdrawal symptoms, which can take a long while to go away.

But first, let's see if you've developed an adverse reaction to Zoloft. What time of day do you take Zoloft? Are you taking any other drugs? What's your drug schedule?

After you take Zoloft, do you feel any particular symptoms?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus
11 hours ago, Carmie said:

Could you please fill out a drug signature first, with the medication you’ve been on, the amounts and the dates. Someone will send you a link. Thank you. 

Coralie,

Below is the link for you to complete your drug signature.  To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Hey I fake Zoloft first thing in morning, no don’t feel any side effects after I take it. Just ups and downs over this couple of weeks. 

Took melatonin for first time last tonight to help sleep and have had Temazepam a few rimes for sleep 

tired to wean and have got severe side effects I cut the Zoloft 1/4 2 weeks later hit with side effects the updosed back to 50mg 

I feel as though it was like when I originally started probally not as bad but mostly, yes I have a very sensitive nervous system. Have a genetic condition called Myoclonus dystonia syndrome it’s like a occasional twitch. 

• Administrator

Did the melatonin help?

What odd symptoms are you feeling now?

A lot of people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see
https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you. Taken in small doses throughout the day, magnesium can be relaxing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I feel the melatonin did help me, but shakey today and I little weak but much better then without sleep so a positive . But I’ve got a sensitive nervous system. 

My symptoms are still the insomnia, Nervousness and the windows and waves but settling down. I feel I’m getting back to myself but not fully there yet, i feel like I’ve got some recovery to do. But the worst seems to be gone. 

Thank you I will try the magnesium 😀

i take a plant based omega I look after myself food & exercise 

The melotonin is a slow release 2mg so I actually can’t cut it down 

i appreciate the help when you don’t know what’s going on your just expect it’s a relapse. 

Ohh and the night time anxiety seems to have increased because I have had a few night of the insomnia which is a trigger for me 

I’m actually feeling more anxious and shaky today, I feel could be the melatonin as I haven’t taken it before. Also they changed the brand name of my Zoloft same ingredients, I feel more the melotonin tho. 

Any advice? 

I also have Temazpam. But know it’s addictive ect 

• Administrator

Try to breathe through the rough spots, they will pass. Meditative breathing can help.

See  The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Easing your way into meditation for a stressed-out nervous system

Music for self-care: calms hyperalertness, anxiety, aids relaxation and sleep

Ways to cope with daily anxiety

Try to stay away from your benzo, they cause more problems than they cure. Take the melatonin at nightfall, turn off lights and light a candle or two, be very peaceful to prepare for bed.

Thank you is there Any risk of different brands? 

I’m feeling pretty good, but anxiety is still lurking, I’ve read a lot have taken months to stabilise! This scares me... It’s been 4 weeks since the updose and I’m getting there... but I’m also worried I won’t be completely normal for a while. And dread going back down. 

Pharmacy says should take 4-6 weeks to build back up in system 

Can anyone share there stories? 

Topic title:  Zoloft updose would love to hear other people’s stories of stabilisation

Hey everyone again would love some stories or encouragement.😀 
So been over 6 weeks since my  withdrawal (Zoloft 25% cut from 50 fro 2 weeks)  and 4 weeks since updose. 
I’m mostly ALOT better still ups and downs.
I read last night some take months and months to stabilise. And today it’s making my anxiety worst and I’m lacking confidence again. I just want to be fully myself and feel totally relief 
What’s your WD/updose stories and how long did it take ect!? I know everyone is different 

Im short tempered today and over thinking this hoping I’ll feel normal again and back to myself as a mum it’s important to my happy/excited self. 

Pharmacist diad take 4-6 weeks for it to be level is system again. 

Ive been stable on Zoloft 50mg for 3 years and it’s helped heaps 

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

• ChessieCat changed the title to Coraliefraser89: tapering/updosing Zoloft - is what I’m going through normal?