SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Sunlioness: some help please

Sunlioness

Hello, i have been quite down for a few months and had panic attacks for stress this summer after trying many natural remedies a month ago I went to a psychiatrist who prescribed  25mg sertraline to take once a day for five days and then take full 50mg capsule after that. Whilst waiting for the effect of the ssr1 i was to take rivotril 3 drops twice daily. 

I immediately felt better but at the same time a bit estranged so i asked whether i could continue on the 25mg dose and use rivotril only when needed for the anxiety attacks. He said ok. I have been feeling a bit down again so he said I should take the full 50mg dose (i am a woman of 51yrs, 5ft 11 and weigh 62kg)

I would not want to double the dose and actually am thinking of quitting. Can the tapering down be faster as ive been on this zoloft sertraline only 1month and never used anything else before?

Is there a milder calming effect remedy  that can be used?

thank you for your help

07/2018 alprazolam in 2occasions.Before then nothing.  

Oct -jan 2019 -various vitamins 

feb: DHEAs 25mg daily+supplements:omega3 2g for 1month then 1g+vit.D 25,000u.i once a wk. 

9 march 2019 to now sertraline 25mg once a day(timing discontinuous)

Rivotril initially as prescribed twice daily for a couple of days then a week after that only once during night.  Dose of 2drops (0,2mg).

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Sunlioness, 

Welcome to SA. I’m sorry you’ve been getting panic attacks. 

Going up and down and making big changes in medication can put you into withdrawals. Please do not just cold turkey the medication, that will make your symptoms even worse, and you may end up in withdrawals for a long time. 

How long have you been on the 25mg of sertraline now?

How often do you take the rivotril?

Thanks for answering those question, sending hugs🤗

Been on APs, benzos, ADs and opiates, for chronic pain. Had Akathisia in the past that made me suicidal. Still on Seroquel. 2019:➡️ March10=7.25mg ✔️ April17=7.0✔️ June5=6.75✔️ July14=6.50✔️ Aug28=6.25✔️ Oct10=6.20  ✔️ Oct21=6.0✔️ Dec16=5.80 ✔️ 2020➡️ Jan 21=5.60 ✔️ April2=5.40 ✔️ May29=5.20 ✔️ Aug14= 5.0 ✔️Sep29=4.80✔️2021➡️ Jan31=4.60 mg✔️ April24=4.40mg✔️Jul17=4.30mg ✔️ Aug 28=4.20 ✔️ Oct 11=4.15✔️Nov1=4.10 ✔️ Nov21= 4.05✔️ Dec13= 4mg ✔️2022 ➡️ Jan8=3.95✔️ Jan31=3.90✔️ March2=3.85 ✔️ April4=3.80 ✔️ June16=3.75✔️ July26=3.70✔️ Sep2=3.65✔️ Oct21=3.60 ✔️ Dec8=3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️ March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Sunlioness: some help please
16 hours ago, Carmie said:

Hi Sunlioness, 

Welcome to SA. I’m sorry you’ve been getting panic attacks. 

Going up and down and making big changes in medication can put you into withdrawals. Please do not just cold turkey the medication, that will make your symptoms even worse, and you may end up in withdrawals for a long time. 

How long have you been on the 25mg of sertraline now?

How often do you take the rivotril?

Thanks for answering those question, sending hugs🤗

Hello Carmie thanks 🥰🤗

yes i am very doubtful on the medication and tried for months to avoid it. But lately went to a psychiatrist 

i have been taking sertraline 25mg (1/2 a 50mg tablet) for a month. The prescription said to increase to a 50mg dose after 5days and take rivotril 3drops twice daily until the effect of the sertraline had come about after 20days. 

After the 5days i asked the doctor to continue on the 25mg dose (and have been doing that regularly 1a day) and  as I was feeling better in mood but felt physically upset and not sleeping well I asked what i could do ... he said ok to the 25mg dose and to take the rivotril at night and when i had anxiety symptoms. I have been trying to avoid rivotril as much as possible and have taken only at night. Not at bedtime because i noticed the effects went away very early in the morning so I started taking it you could do tell  i woke up around 1-2am. 

I am now feeling very anxious again and taking rivotril once a day 2drps a day and at night when i wake up but I already notice it is not as effective as before. 

I am in two minds (i have never used medicine and always used natural products) about the use of such remedies but i have been regular in the sertraline (always after lunch but not always at the same time 🤭

please do give me advice because i am feeling awkward, overreactive with my teens. Congested in the head, dispersive, not able to concentrate productively. Great insecurity and my social interaction is oversensitive and depersonalized. Always thinking on what to do to change my situation both in and out.

Will wait for your answer 

thanks ever so much 

feb: DHEAs 25mg daily+supplements:omega3 2g for 1month then 1g+vit.D 25,000u.i once a wk. 

Rivotril initially as prescribed twice daily for a couple of days then a week after that only once during night.  Dose of 2drops (0,2mg).

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Sunlioness, 

I’m sorry you’re struggling so much. You were wise not to go up to 50mg, as it could have made things worse. 

It can take quite a while to stabilise on medication. Once you stabilise on it you could start tapering it down, as you know the recommendation is no more than 10% a month. You said you’ve only been on the medication for a month though, so I’ve left a report with the other mods to see if they feel you can go down quicker. 

Try and take your medications at the same time each day. 

I’m sorry that your stresses made you start the medication. We aren’t actually counsellors or therapists on here. I’ve found the thing that’s helped me most with emotions is FasterEFT. There are many videos on YouTube. 

Sending hugs🤗

Been on APs, benzos, ADs and opiates, for chronic pain. Had Akathisia in the past that made me suicidal. Still on Seroquel. 2019:➡️ March10=7.25mg ✔️ April17=7.0✔️ June5=6.75✔️ July14=6.50✔️ Aug28=6.25✔️ Oct10=6.20  ✔️ Oct21=6.0✔️ Dec16=5.80 ✔️ 2020➡️ Jan 21=5.60 ✔️ April2=5.40 ✔️ May29=5.20 ✔️ Aug14= 5.0 ✔️Sep29=4.80✔️2021➡️ Jan31=4.60 mg✔️ April24=4.40mg✔️Jul17=4.30mg ✔️ Aug 28=4.20 ✔️ Oct 11=4.15✔️Nov1=4.10 ✔️ Nov21= 4.05✔️ Dec13= 4mg ✔️2022 ➡️ Jan8=3.95✔️ Jan31=3.90✔️ March2=3.85 ✔️ April4=3.80 ✔️ June16=3.75✔️ July26=3.70✔️ Sep2=3.65✔️ Oct21=3.60 ✔️ Dec8=3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️ March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

@Carmie

Carmie hello and thank you 

some questions..

-please do tell me why the doubled dose ‘could have made things worse ‘?

-how i can see when this dosage of 25mg has ‘stabilised’.

- why start tapering down only when this has happened. 

At the moment I have a strong emotional instablity and don’t feel secure with anything.  

Is Rivotril ok and how can it be used ‘wisely’?

My sleep has become very disturbed once again. 

What is the danger in the antidepressants?

I await the answer about  tapering down fastr than 10%

• Administrator

Hello, Sunlioness.

Rivotril is a benzodiazapine, clonazepam. You may be having adverse effects from it. To see if this is the case, please keep daily notes of times of day you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms. You can post them in this topic with a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom, drug and dosage) on the right.

If I were you, I'd stay at 25mg sertraline until you get the clonazepam question settled. Please take the sertraline at the same time each day.

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

4 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Hello, Sunlioness.

Rivotril is a benzodiazapine, clonazepam. You may be having adverse effects from it. To see if this is the case, please keep daily notes of times of day you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms. You can post them in this topic with a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom, drug and dosage) on the right.

If I were you, I'd stay at 25mg sertraline until you get the clonazepam question settled. Please take the sertraline at the same time each day.

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

@Altostrata

thank you 

my psych had said to take a full 50mg capaule sertraline and take rivotril for 5 days to wait for the  effects. 

Psychotherapist friends are saying to comply to this cure fully and not be in two minds about it! 

Rivotril effects are just that anxiety comes back and i have emotional spirals and negative thoughts. But those werethere even before taking this stuff, that is why I started in the first place. 

I dont see a way out? How can i taper down on rivotril? I am jyst taking 2drps in water once before bedtime sometimes once during the day. 

What should i do?

• Moderator Emeritus
10 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Sunlioness, are you able to complete a signature?

If not, please post the information here in your thread. We need:

Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 

• Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.
5 hours ago, Sunlioness said:

my psych had said to take a full 50mg capaule sertraline and take rivotril for 5 days to wait for the  effects. 

Psychotherapist friends are saying to comply to this cure fully and not be in two minds about it! 

Rivotril effects are just that anxiety comes back and i have emotional spirals and negative thoughts. But those werethere even before taking this stuff, that is why I started in the first place. 

I dont see a way out? How can i taper down on rivotril? I am jyst taking 2drps in water once before bedtime sometimes once during the day. 

What should i do?

With your comment "Rivotril effects are just that anxiety comes back", it sounds like you're getting rebound anxiety from the Rivotril. 

Have you only been on Rivotril for just a few days? Have you ever taken a benzodiazepine (benzo) drug before? 

If you've only used benzos for a few days, it's safe to simply stop taking them.

Please note that you can become dependent on a benzo in as little as 2 - 4 weeks, so I would limit the times you take them. Even taking them periodically can lead to dependency. 

• Administrator
9 hours ago, Sunlioness said:

@Altostrata

thank you 

What should i do?

I'm sorry, you'll have to decide what path to take. We cannot make those decisions for you.

Personally, I would not increase an antidepressant if I feel the lower dose is sufficient.

Look at your Rivotril bottle, what is the concentration of the liquid, how many milligrams in a drop?

If you continue here, we will need those daily notes to see what effect the benzo has on you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

4 hours ago, Altostrata said:

I'm sorry, you'll have to decide what path to take. We cannot make those decisions for you.

Personally, I would not increase an antidepressant if I feel the lower dose is sufficient.

Look at your Rivotril bottle, what is the concentration of the liquid, how many milligrams in a drop?

If you continue here, we will need those daily notes to see what effect the benzo has on you.

@Altostrata

The rivotril says 2,5mg/ml dose is 0,2mg for 2drops

ps

i have tried  to save the ‘signature’ list but I don’t know if its been saved

7 hours ago, Shep said:

Sunlioness, are you able to complete a signature?

If not, please post the information here in your thread. We need:

Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 

• Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

With your comment "Rivotril effects are just that anxiety comes back", it sounds like you're getting rebound anxiety from the Rivotril. 

Have you only been on Rivotril for just a few days? Have you ever taken a benzodiazepine (benzo) drug before? 

If you've only used benzos for a few days, it's safe to simply stop taking them.

Please note that you can become dependent on a benzo in as little as 2 - 4 weeks, so I would limit the times you take them. Even taking them periodically can lead to dependency. 

@Shep i have managed to save ‘signature’ list. Thamks for the link. I have used rivotril 2,5mg/ml 2drops at night for a month now and sometimes during the dy very rarely. 

• Administrator

How many milligrams in a drop?

2 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

How many milligrams in a drop?

@AltostrataJust checked. It says 2,5mg are 25drops thus 2 drops are 0,2mg if im correct. 

• Moderator Emeritus
15 hours ago, Sunlioness said:
@Shep i have managed to save ‘signature’ list. Thamks for the link. I have used rivotril 2,5mg/ml 2drops at night for a month now and sometimes during the dy very rarely. 

15 hours ago, Sunlioness said:

@AltostrataJust checked. It says 2,5mg are 25drops thus 2 drops are 0,2mg if im correct. 

Since dependency on Rivotril can form in 2 - 4 weeks, you may or may not be dependent. You may want to make a 25% reduction and see how you feel over the coming days. 

Please let me know your thoughts on this. You may be better off doing a rapid taper off and not risking forming a greater dependency.  After a few days, if you feel the 25% was too much, you could go back up and do a slower taper.

Is Rivotril the only drug you are currently taking? Or are you still on sertraline? I'm having trouble understanding your signature. Please add a start and a stop date for your drugs. 

1 hour ago, Shep said:

Since dependency on Rivotril can form in 2 - 4 weeks, you may or may not be dependent. You may want to make a 25% reduction and see how you feel over the coming days. 

Please let me know your thoughts on this. You may be better off doing a rapid taper off and not risking forming a greater dependency.  After a few days, if you feel the 25% was too much, you could go back up and do a slower taper.

Is Rivotril the only drug you are currently taking? Or are you still on sertraline? I'm having trouble understanding your signature. Please add a start and a stop date for your drugs. 

@Shep tapering down on 25mg sertraline and rivotril 0,2mg

both started 9march up to now

• Moderator Emeritus
23 hours ago, Sunlioness said:

@Shep tapering down on 25mg sertraline and rivotril 0,2mg

both started 9march up to now

Are is the Rivotril for anxiety or do you need it to sleep?

Since you've only been on sertraline for a month, as well, you are in a position of possibly being able to rapid taper both drugs. 

What are your symptoms? When do you take your drugs? Please list the time(s) of day. 

Edited by Shep
added info

On 4/11/2019 at 3:02 PM, Shep said:

Are is the Rivotril for anxiety or do you need it to sleep?

Since you've only been on sertraline for a month, as well, you are in a position of possibly being able to rapid taper both drugs. 

What are your symptoms? When do you take your drugs? Please list the time(s) of day. 

Hello @Shep

my symptoms are that it is very difficult to concentrate and take decisions, and I feel numb- don’t feel my feelings)

I stopped rivotril altogether. I was taking 0,2mg at bedtime Sertraline after lunch 2,45pm 25mg but tapering down (i cut a smaller dose out of the half tablet-I dont weigh it though)

How can I taper more rapidly? 

• Moderator Emeritus

What dose are you on now? How are you sleeping? 

For adverse reactions with short time use, you could reduce 25% every few days by either cutting with a pill cutter, weighing using a scale, or making a liquid. 

Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline)

25 minutes ago, Shep said:

What dose are you on now? How are you sleeping? 

For adverse reactions with short time use, you could reduce 25% every few days by either cutting with a pill cutter, weighing using a scale, or making a liquid. 

Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline)

Hello @Shep

I have tapered down from the 25mg dose about 10-15% for about a week now (with a knife so probably not precisely) but I am beginning to feel anxious again and unstable emotionally . I am not sleeping well at all. Wake up early morning and have odd negative thoughts. Just cannot get back to being balanced and relaxed again... 

• Moderator Emeritus

Please have a read of the insomnia thread: 

Tips to help sleep: so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

Do you have a sleep mask or light blocking shades over your windows? That can help with early morning awakening. 

A lot of us have ramped up symptoms early in the morning to due high levels of cortisol.

Waking with panic or anxiety - managing cortisol spikes

Have you tried melatonin? 

Melatonin for sleep: Many people find it helpful