mary4717: Seroquel / quetiapine withdrawal

mary4717

In 2014, I was misdiagnosed as being Bipolar and Borderline, and was prescribed Seroquel. Slowly but surely, the dose was increased. In June of 2017, I was admitted to a psych ward, via my therapist. Because I refused any other medication, they chose to increase my Seroquel to 500mg. In August of that year, I met with a new psychiatrist and started to taper off of the medication. From August to December, I tapered down to 200mg. Unfortunately, I was not aware of how fast of a taper that was for my body, and I admitted myself to a psych ward for the fourth time in my life, for what I now know was withdrawal. I was prescribed Prozac and Gabapentin while in the hospital, and my anxiety has not been the same since. In 2016, I did a rapid taper from Diazepam and did not have any withdrawal symptoms. Because of this, along with having no idea how quickly Benzodiazepines could have a negative effect on my body, I chose to go back on the medication due the severity of my anxiety. 

It would take an incredibly long time to describe everything that I have experienced during my withdrawal and my experience with the system in general, but I can honestly say that it's been one of the hardest things that I have ever had to endure. In total, I have been on 17 different psychotropic medications. It's now April of 2019, and I am down to 50mg of Seroquel, while also trying to taper off of 10mg of Diazepam PRN. To say that it has been a nightmare would be an understatement, both physically and mentally. I can't remember the last time that I wasn't nauseous or filled with anxiety to the point that I can no longer drive. I was excelling in school, but am no longer able to attend due to being debilitated. Along with the nausea, I get brain zaps, my IBS caused from the Seroquel has gotten worse, my entire body is weak and sore, and I'm trying to manage all of the emotions that come with the withdrawal. Last year I was going to an acupuncturist on a weekly basis, but it became too expensive. I am slowly integrating organic and gluten free foods into my diet. I am also about to start taking Chelated Mangnese, Malungay, and Jia Wei Xiap Yao Wan on a daily basis. 

Does anyone have any prior experience or advice/support on tapering from Seroquel?

To anyone that takes the time to read this, I greatly appreciate it. 

I have also been taking about 60mg of Buspar on daily basis for the past year for anxiety, and it also takes away my nausea to where I can eat again. Are there any supplements/natural remedies to help increase appetite besides exercise? It is incredibly hard for me to do so due to the chronic nausea, however, I would like to be off all psychotropic medications.

2014 - Abilify, Buspirone, Lithium, Remeron, Klonopin, Lexapro, Seroquel (exact dates and dosages N/A) Quit all CT besides Seroquel

April 2014 - Depakote, prescribed for 48 hour inpatient stay (Quit CT after hospitalization)

2015 - Trazodone 50mg PRN, Alprazolam .5mg 3x daily PRN - jumped to Diazepam 5mg 3x daily PRN, Zoloft (dosages N/A)

2016 - Rapid Tapered from Diazepam 5mg

2017 - Quit Zoloft CT, August to December: Tapered from 500mg of Seroquel to 200mg, December: Prescribed Ativan and Ambien for 72 hour inpatient stay, Gabapentin (dosage N/A), Prozac 20mg

2018 - Quit Gabapentin and Prozac 20mg after 30 day use CT, Tapered from Seroquel 200mg to 75mg over the course of the year, prescribed Trintellix during 72 hour inpatient stay (Quit CT after hospitalization), Diazepam 5-10mg daily, Buspar 60mg daily

March 23, 2019 - Tapered from Seroquel 75mg to 50mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Mary, 

Welcome to SA. I’ve been tapering off Seroquel too, and have been in psych wards as well due to withdrawals. I was put on and off a myriad of medications as well, it all started because of chronic pain. My withdrawals were so severe from continually being cold turkeyed, and thus I ended up in the psych ward with severe akathisia and I was feeling suicidal. At the time I didn’t know what was wrong with me, it was the medication all along. I figured that out later on. 

I have managed to get myself down from 300mg of Seroquel to 7.25mg over many years. 

You have made a lot of big changes. It might take a while for you to stabilise. Tapering from 500mg to 200mg in five months, as you know now, was way too fast. 

How long have you been on 50mg of Seroquel? 

How long have you been on 10mg of diazepam? How often do you take it?

You are also on 60mg of Buscar. Are there any other meds you are on?

What times of the day do you take each of your medications?

How long were you on the Prozac and gabapentin? How quickly did you go off that? You sound a bit like me, I was put on and off so many things, I don’t even remember the names. They also gave me ECT, but there was nothing wrong with me, it was withdrawals all along. I can certainly relate to your psych ward experiences. 

I would be really careful about taking any supplements, except for fish oil and magnesium. Our brains have become quite sensitised from going on and off so many meds, that supplements can actually make withdrawals worse. Some people can’t even tolerate magnesium and fish oil, but these are the only two supplements recommended on this site. You just start off with one on a small dose, and work your way up, and then do the same with the next one. A lot of people have found some benefit with these supplements.

For now please do not do any tapering, let your brain stabilise, it may take a while. Keep us updated as to how you’re going. You can use this thread to ask questions and to journal your experiences.

Once you are eventually stable you should only ever taper one medication at a time, and by no more than 10% a month. 

Could you please do a drug signature. Just go to to the Read It First section, under the thread entitled Please Put Your Withdrawal History In Your Signature there’s a link that you can use. We only really need the information from the last two years. Thank you. 

Sending hugs🤗

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• Moderator Emeritus
55 minutes ago, Carmie said:

Could you please do a drug signature.

Mary, here's the link to do a drug signature.  We really only need the information for the last 2 years.  

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Hi Carmie! 

I have only been on 50mg of Seroquel for 13 days now.

I have been on 10mg of Diazepam daily for about a year. However, for the past couple of months, I had started taking it every other day. I am now down to 5mg of Diazepam every three days. Besides Buspar, these are all of the medications I am taking. I take Seroquel at night, Diazepam morning/afternoon, and 30mg of Buspar in the afternoon and another 30mg in the evening.

I was only on Gabapentin and Prozac for about a month and quit both CT. I cannot remember how many mg the Gabapentin was. I know I started at 20mg of Prozac, and I think my NP may have increased it to 40mg, my memory is not the greatest. 

Thank you for the advice about the supplements! I did not think about slowly integrating them, I will definitely do that instead of attempting to take all three. I have taken the Malungay and Jia Wei Xiao Yao Wan in the past while withdrawing, and they have helped immensely. They were recommended by the acupuncturist I was seeing who was helping with the withdrawal. Do you have advice about how to create the liquid mixture for the taper? I know that it's ideal, and I do have immediate release tablets, but even with research I have been unsure on how to create the mixture. I think I may just be thinking too much into it but I am worried that I won't make it correctly.

Thank you so much for your response and advice!

2014 - Abilify, Buspirone, Lithium, Remeron, Klonopin, Lexapro, Seroquel (exact dates and dosages N/A) Quit all CT besides Seroquel

April 2014 - Depakote, prescribed for 48 hour inpatient stay (Quit CT after hospitalization)

2015 - Trazodone 50mg PRN, Alprazolam .5mg 3x daily PRN - jumped to Diazepam 5mg 3x daily PRN, Zoloft (dosages N/A)

2017 - Quit Zoloft CT, August to December: Tapered from 500mg of Seroquel to 200mg, December: Prescribed Ativan and Ambien for 72 hour inpatient stay, Gabapentin (dosage N/A), Prozac 20mg

2018 - Quit Gabapentin and Prozac 20mg after 30 day use CT, Tapered from Seroquel 200mg to 75mg over the course of the year, prescribed Trintellix during 72 hour inpatient stay (Quit CT after hospitalization), Diazepam 5-10mg daily, Buspar 60mg daily

Thank you, Gridley!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Mary, 

Thanks for doing your signature. Did you jump straight from 75mg to 50mg last month? If you did, that was a big drop. We should only ever taper by no more than 10% a month. I would be holding for quite some time now before you even think of tapering. You will need to let your brain stabilise after such a drop. 

As regards water titrating, I crush my 25mg tablet with a mortar and pestle and add 20ml of water. That makes every ml 1.25mg. Off course, your measurements will be different. I wouldn’t think about any kind of tapering as yet though. Please give your brain time to adjust to the drop, I would wait at least a couple of months, especially since you cold turkeyed medications last year too. What month did you cold turkey the gabapentin and Prozac?

What are your symptoms like now? 

Take care, sending hugs 🤗

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

Hi Carmie! Unfortunately I did taper from 75 to 50mg last month, it has been pretty rough to say the least. Thank you for the info on the water titrating! I think I will be doing that method from now on. I CT'd Prozac and Gabapentin in January of 2018.

Right now, mentally, I'm trying to manage the insane iritiabiity I'm having. It's pretty difficult for me to get out of bed most days, and my anxiety is completely debilitating. It's always the worst in the morning. I rarely drive now because of it, and I was perfectly fine with driving before I started taking Diazepam again. I also never really go out in public. I have some slight brain fog as well. Physically, my body is really sore, and some days I'm nauseous to the point where I can't move without vomiting. I'm getting frequent headaches and brain zaps too. My IBS has also gotten worse and I'm not sleeping too great. I haven't had a natural appetite since January of 2018 as well. I have had tremors since I was prescribed Lithium in 2014. I may be forgetting symptoms because I'm experiencing so many.

The depression is terrible, but the anxiety and irritability along with the physical symptoms are the worst. I was an incredibly empathetic person, and now I seem to be very apathetic towards everything/everyone, and it's terrible. I'm feeling emotions that I haven't felt in five years and they're pretty difficult to manage, but I'm trying. I also forgot to ask in my last response, how many times have you been to psych wards? Also, if you don't mind me asking, did receiving ECT effect your memory that you mention in your signature? I also have a terrible memory. When I was prescribed Klonopin, I was not aware of the withdrawal symptoms or dangers of it, and my pharmacy told me that I did not have a third refill, when I actually did, so I went two weeks without it while having no idea what I was experiencing, and my memory hasn't been the same since.

Thank you!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi again Mary, 

I’m sorry your symptoms are so bad. It’s no guarantee, but since you only dropped a couple of weeks ago, a slight updose might help. It’s the best strategy we have if one had dropped too quickly. You wouldn’t go back up to 75mg again as your brain has gotten used to the 50mg now, it would be a small updose. Also, taking the diazepam so erratically every three days may be affecting you too. I’ll ask the other mods for their input. Please don’t make any changes until we get back to you.

Yes, the ECT affected my memory, but I already had cognitive and memory problems from CFS, which I’ve had for about 25 years.

I’ve been in a psych ward three times, all because of what the medication was doing to me. I never had any problems before I started taking those meds, I was cold turkeyed off so many of them. It all started with chronic pain, as I think I may have mentioned.

We will all eventually heal from these meds, no matter what we’ve gone through. It just takes a long time, these meds are pretty powerful.

Take care💚

I'm so sorry you've had to experience psych wards so many times as well and that the doctors you've seen have been so irresponsible. I have not had chronic pain, but I can't imagine how that must be. You seem like an incredibly strong individual! Thank you so much again for your input.

• ChessieCat changed the title to mary4717: Seroquel / quetiapine withdrawal
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Mary, 

I’m just wondering how you’re doing?💚

Hi Carmie!

I'm doing alright today. I'm still struggling physically with being exhausted, sore, and weak. And of course the ever so loved brain zaps and nausea! The irritability is still pretty bad as well, but I'm trying really hard to manage and not react on it. I haven't taken any Diazepam since Thursday, and my anxiety surprisingly isn't too bad, but I'm having what I think is very mild derealization? I'm not too sure how to describe it, I'm just sort of out of it. I think it may be more brain fog than anything. 

Thank you so much for checking in! How are you doing?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi again Mary, 

You sound nice and positive, which is good to hear. I’ve been going through lots of waves for a few weeks, but the last couple of days more windows are opening. Yay! I think I’m slowly stabilising again.

Derealisation is very common in withdrawals. I’ve actually had it for about 25 years because of my illness. I have CFS. I haven’t been able to interact on here much the last couple of days as the brain fog has been severe, and I can’t focus (again, my illness). 

As regards the brain zaps, have you tried taking fish oil? You just start off with a small dose, and then slowly increase it.

Take care, sending hugs 🤗

Thank you, Carmie! I'm trying to stay positive through all of this. Slightly off topic, but my ex of 6 1/2 years broke up with me in December of last year, while I was in the midst of withdrawal, so I'm trying to prove to myself that I can recover without him since I was so co-dependent on him. As hard as it is, I know staying positive is one of the only things that is helping me right now. 

Do you mind if I ask what your waves look like? I have only spoken to one other person who has experienced Seroquel withdrawal, and I love talking to others whom I can relate to. I'm so glad that you're stabilizing, that's fantastic! The relief of stabilization is one of the greatest feelings. I have not tried fish oil, is there a specific brand that you would recommend? I just started taking Malungay again today. 

I'm sorry for all of my questions, but is there anything that you've found that has helped the brain fog?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi again Mary, 

It’s really hard to describe waves, you end up with so many symptoms. I get such an inner restlessness that I have to continue to keep myself distracted. I’ve become the queen of distractions, I do arts and crafts, DVD marathons, word games, listen to music etc etc.

It doesn’t actually matter which medication you are withdrawing from, people can get similar symptoms with any of the medications. Just go into the Symptoms And Selfcare section and have a look if there are any symptoms there that you can relate to. 

I don’t actually take fish oil myself, though I might one day, a lot of people have found great benefit. There’s a thread on fish oil under the Symptoms And Selfcare section as well. I think it’s quite beneficial for brain zaps. 

No, I haven’t found anything that’s helped my brain fog, it’s part of my illness, and unless I get over my illness I’ll always have it. 

I hope you have some good distractions to help you cope while youre trying to stabilise. I’ve got a wedding to go to this weekend, but after that it’s time for my next taper, and then the rollercoaster ride starts again.🎢🎢🎢😄💚

• Administrator

Hello, Mary. Exactly what times of day do you take your drugs, and their dosages? Please don't change dosages for a while.

Since you reduced Seroquel March 23, have your symptoms gotten better or worse?

Please keep daily notes of times of day you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms. You can post them in this topic with a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom, drug and dosage) on the right. This will help us figure out the source of your symptoms.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus
On 4/5/2019 at 7:33 PM, mary4717 said:

I have been on 10mg of Diazepam daily for about a year. However, for the past couple of months, I had started taking it every other day. I am now down to 5mg of Diazepam every three days

Hi, Mary. Welcome to SA from me, as well.

I'm concerned about your erratic benzo dosing. Please note that it's best to take each drug consistently every day and at the same time of the day. Otherwise, it confuses your nervous system. 

You may or may not need 10 mg a day, since it's been a couple of months since you were last at that dose. Your nervous system may have acclimated to a slightly lower dose. 

We can help you set up a more proper benzo dosing schedule, along with giving you other advice as you continue to post.

10 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Please keep daily notes of times of day you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms. You can post them in this topic with a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom, drug and dosage) on the right. This will help us figure out the source of your symptoms.

Below is the format we recommend. Please do this daily over the next few days and we'll go through it with you. 

On 9/27/2016 at 2:49 PM, Altostrata said:

In the course of discussion in your Introductions forum topic, you may be asked to keep notes on paper of your daily symptom pattern, including when you take your drugs, their dosages, and any symptoms. We ask this because there may be something we can do to reduce the symptoms.

What we need to see for every single day over several days is what symptoms you get before and after you take your drugs. If you're not taking any drugs and have withdrawal symptoms, we still need to see your symptom pattern throughout the day:

The time of day, dosage, and severity of symptoms are essential information. Include

- Time and dosage for all drugs taken throughout the day, psychiatric and non-psychiatric.

- Following each dose, note any symptoms. If you are having a reaction to the drug, it may take hours for a symptom to show up -- that's why we ask you to keep notes all day long.

- If you're not taking any drugs, your symptoms throughout the day.

- Your sleep pattern. Since so many drugs disturb sleep, if you find you're waking in the middle of the night, it could be from a drug you took earlier in the evening. If you're not taking any drugs, there may be ways you can improve your sleep.

And so forth. A diary, in chronological order, looking something like this:

6 a.m. Woke with anxiety
8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
10 a.m. Stomach is upset
10:30 a.m. Ate breakfast
11:35 a.m. Got a headache, lasted one hour
12:35 p.m. Ate lunch
4 p.m. Feel a bit better
5 p.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
6 p.m. Ate dinner
9:20 p.m. Headache
10:00 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel
10:20 p.m. Feeling dizzy
10:30 p.m. Fell asleep
2:30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien (NOT "took 1/2 tablet Ambien")
2:45 a.m. Fell asleep
4:30 a.m. Woke but got back to sleep

• Moderator Emeritus
On 4/7/2019 at 11:07 PM, mary4717 said:

I just started taking Malungay again today. 

Please do not add in or subtract anything more. We really need to see where you're currently at before any changes are made.

In your drug and symptoms journal, please also list:

• the number of hours you are sleeping
  • your supplements

Thank you Shep. I will work on my drug/symptoms journal. I know this does not work out in my favor, but I have never taken my medications at the same time each day. My seroquel is the only medication that I tend to take within the same 1-3 hour time frame.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not completed a full symptoms journal or the times that I take them, but on Sunday I started experiencing chest pain, and I have read that it's a common symptom with benzo withdrawal, so I updosed the Diazepam to see if the chest pain would go away, and unfortunately it didn't, so I made an appointment to see my NP today. Coincidentally, I accidentally took 75mg of Seroquel last night instead of 50mg, and I haven't had any chest pain, but I still went to my appointment. Turns out, I have a heart murmur, which is strange to me because I have never had one in the past and see my NP regularly. I know that Seroquel is linked to heart issues, but I still find it weird that I've never had chest pain or a heart murmur until I tapered to 50mg.....

@Altostrata I am so sorry that I never responded to you, I was most likely having an off day due to the withdrawal and insane brain fog/anxiety that is coming with it, and just saw your post while scrolling through this thread. I am definitely taking the advice given to me here and do not plan on changing my dosages for a while, I really appreciate the help that I'm receiving. 

Since March 23rd, my physical symptoms were worse for the first two weeks of the taper. My IBS was terrible to say the least, and I was incredibly sore. (I am probably missing symptoms due to the brain fog) Mentally, I have been incredibly irritable, and if I have to make an educated guess, I would assume that it is a mix of lowering the Diazepam dose and taking it erratically (which I did before coming to this site, not knowing the danger of that) along with the Seroquel. With all of the advice that I have received, I've been realizing that I am most likely not following a great taper schedule. For me to create an accurate symptoms/drug journal, I'm going to start setting alarms on my phone to take the buspar and Seroquel at the same times daily. I was honestly not aware that I was confusing my nervous system by taking the medication at different times due to the fact that I have been doing so for years, which probably should have been common sense. So, thank you guys again for all of your help, 

I'm also sorry if what I'm typing is slightly confusing, my brain fog and anxiety are pretty terrible today, and it makes it hard to coherently write. 

• Administrator

The increased Seroquel combined with benzo may have aggravated your heart murmur. Please do be more consistent in your drug intake from day to day, even a couple of hours variation can cause symptoms -- and don't increase dosing ad hoc!

We need to see your daily notes for a number of days to establish your symptom baseline, before we can make a guess about drug side effects.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 1 month later...

I'm not too sure where else to post this. I've made a list of all of my symptoms but I haven't tracked the times that I experience them and everything because I just don't have the energy to do that, which is pretty sad, but that's where I'm at right now. I haven't changed my Seroquel dose, still at 50mg, and it's honestly just getting worse. I sincerely respect and admire every single person on this site who has managed to successfully function through the withdrawal, and even those who can't but still manage to stay alive throughout it each day. I wasn't expecting it to be so difficult for so long. Almost exactly at the two month mark on May 23rd, I hit a "good" wave and was feeling great (well as great as I can feel right now), and then I crashed and it's just been constant suicidal ideation since. Absolutely zero mental strength to do anything. My room is a complete mess and I can't remember the last time I was able to do the dishes or do more than two loads of laundry at a time. I've tried reading the success stories and they do give me hope, but I haven't really found my own personal reason to keep going with this yet, so I know that makes this process even more difficult. 

I'm not too sure what the point of this post was, maybe to get positive feedback from others who know what it's like to deal with this constant pain, I'm not too sure, but I really appreciate everyone on this site.

• 1 month later...

My withdrawal symptoms: Seroquel 50mg daily, Diazepam 5mg daily

Hot/cold flashes

Worsening IBS

Worsening chronic fatigue/nausea

Headaches

Brain zaps

Brain fog

Muscle spasms

Worsening vivid dreams/nightmares

Brain fog

Heart murmur 

Chest pain 

Debilitating depression/anxiety

Sore muscles for the first 2-4 weeks of each taper

Apathy/fits of anger/lack of patience/irritability

Worsening loss of appetite 

Loss of libido

Chronic nausea

While on Seroquel, I developed IBS, vivid dreams/nightmares, night sweats, chronic nausea, dry mouth, chronic fatigue, tremors, irregular menstrual cycle, and loss of natural appetite.

While on Diazepam, I developed debilitating anxiety and depression.

My memory has also deteriorated over the years.

• Moderator Emeritus

Okay, I've typed what is below the line first then had a better look at your drug signature.

Q:  Are you still taking Trintellex, diazepam and Buspar?

Q:  If you are still taking diazepam, are you taking it PRN or daily?  If PRN, how often.  You can get rebound using it PRN.

If you are still taking any are all of these drugs as well as Seroquel it may be that you have a drug interaction.  I've done a check on all 4 drugs and posted the interactions in the next post.

These were my first thoughts, which it will depend on your response to the above questions whether these comments are applicable, or maybe they are only partly applicable.  However, there are a couple of things below which are worth thinking about.

I'm just wondering what age you are.  Q:  Are you menopausal?

I've checked the common side effects of Seroquel (pasted below) and some of what you list are included.

It can be difficult to know what is withdrawal, what is related to menopause (if applicable) and what are side effects.

(It depends on your answer to the questions above the line whether this is an option at this time).  It looks like it has now been 4 months since you reduced from 75mg to 50mg Seroquel.  You might consider making a small test reduction, for example no more than 2.5% (to 48.75mg), to see how things go.  If things don't worsen then it may be that you are at  WDnormal (withdrawal normal) and you could keep tapering.  If after the first small reduction things are okay (ie not worse) for 4 weeks then you might consider making a 5% reduction and see how that goes. 

From https://www.rxlist.com/seroquel-side-effects-drug-center.htm

Side effects of Seroquel may include:

• mood or behavior changes,
  • constipation,
  • stomach pain,
  • upset stomach,
  • nausea,
  • vomiting,
  • drowsiness,
  • dizziness,
  • lightheadedness,
  • tiredness,
  • headache,
  • trouble sleeping,
  • dry mouth,
  • sore throat,
  • breast swelling or discharge,
  • missed menstrual periods,
  • increased appetite, or
  • weight gain

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Interactions between your drugs

Moderate

diazePAM QUEtiapine

Applies to: diazepam, Seroquel (quetiapine)

Using diazePAM together with QUEtiapine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate

busPIRone QUEtiapine

Applies to: BuSpar (buspirone), Seroquel (quetiapine)

Using busPIRone together with QUEtiapine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

No other interactions were found between your selected drugs.
Note: this does not necessarily mean no interactions exist. Always consult with your doctor or pharmacist.

Drug and food interactions

Moderate

diazePAM food

Applies to: diazepam

Grapefruit and grapefruit juice may interact with diazePAM and lead to potentially dangerous side effects. Discuss the use of grapefruit products with your doctor. Do not increase or decrease the amount of grapefruit products in your diet without first talking to your doctor. Do not drink alcohol while taking diazePAM. This medication can increase the effects of alcohol. You may feel more drowsy, dizzy, or tired if you take diazePAM with alcohol. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions or concerns.

Moderate

busPIRone food

Applies to: BuSpar (buspirone)

You should avoid the use of alcohol while being treated with busPIRone. Alcohol can increase the nervous system side effects of busPIRone such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience impairment in thinking and judgment. Patients receiving busPIRone should preferably avoid the consumption of large amounts of grapefruits and grapefruit juice. If this is not possible, the busPIRone dose should be taken at least 2 hours before or 8 hours after grapefruit or grapefruit juice. Large amounts of grapefruit and grapefruit juice may cause increased levels of busPIRone in your body. This can lead to increased adverse effects such as drowsiness. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions or concerns.

Therapeutic duplication warnings

Therapeutic duplication is the use of more than one medicine from the same drug category or therapeutic class to treat the same condition. This can be intentional in cases where drugs with similar actions are used together for demonstrated therapeutic benefit. It can also be unintentional in cases where a patient has been treated by more than one doctor, or had prescriptions filled at more than one pharmacy, and can have potentially adverse consequences.

Duplication

Tranquilizers

Therapeutic duplication

The recommended maximum number of medicines in the 'tranquilizers' category to be taken concurrently is usually one. Your list includes two medicines belonging to the 'tranquilizers' category:

• BuSpar (buspirone)
  • diazepam

Note: The benefits of taking this combination of medicines may outweigh any risks associated with therapeutic duplication. This information does not take the place of talking to your doctor. Always check with your healthcare provider to determine if any adjustments to your medications are needed.

Edited by ChessieCat
removed trintellex

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

@ChessieCat Thank you for doing all of that. I only took Trintellix for 48 hours when I was in inpatient, so I'm no longer on that. I am still taking Buspar 60mg daily along with Seroquel 50mg. I do take Dizaepam 5mg daily now since I found out that taking it erratically, how I was, is not suggested. 

20 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

I'm just wondering what age you are.  Q:  Are you menopausal?

I am only 24, so I am not menopausal.

• Moderator Emeritus

I've edited the Drug Interaction above and removed Trintellex from it.

You will see that there is a duplication:

Tranquilizers

Therapeutic duplication

The recommended maximum number of medicines in the 'tranquilizers' category to be taken concurrently is usually one. Your list includes two medicines belonging to the 'tranquilizers' category:

• BuSpar (buspirone)
  • diazepam

These types of drugs are "brakes".  They suppress the nervous system and the brain's response can be to "fight back".

On 4/21/2019 at 6:57 AM, Altostrata said:

We need to see your daily notes for a number of days to establish your symptom baseline, before we can make a guess about drug side effects.

Back in April Alto asked for daily symptoms notes.  Please provide these so that your situation can be assessed.  To stat with we need 3 days.  Post a 24 hour period each time.  This is an example of what is required:

6 a.m. Woke with anxiety
8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
10 a.m. Stomach is upset
10:30 a.m. Ate breakfast
11:35 a.m. Got a headache, lasted one hour
12:35 p.m. Ate lunch
4 p.m. Feel a bit better
5 p.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
6 p.m. Ate dinner
9:20 p.m. Headache
10:00 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel
10:20 p.m. Feeling dizzy
10:30 p.m. Fell asleep
2:30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien (NOT "took 1/2 tablet Ambien")
2:45 a.m. Fell asleep
4:30 a.m. Woke but got back to sleep

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Mary.

You are too young to be suffering like this.

Chessie has done a great deal of work above to gather info. for the senior mods.

However the staff on this site are busy volunteers whose only aim is to help folks stabilise and get off these meds.

We cannot do that unless we have up to date and ongoing info. to work with.

It is therefore essential that your drug signature is brought up to date ASAP.

Chessie also provided you with a template for a daily diary.

This is essential in view of your med changes as the senior mods need drug taken and time of day to assess interaction possibilities.

You say above you did not have the energy to do this. If you wish us to help you we need that info.

If you have a phone with an alarm, use that and dictate or input the info. As Chessie shows each entry is only a few words.

If you do not have the phone copy and paste Chessie's example into a word document and jot down entries during the day.

Post the results on this thread.

If you keep changing meds and adding/subtracting supplement you will not get better so help us to help you.

When we feel really ill we want to be proactive but it does not work.

Slowly, with time and help works and you have time on your side, so help us to help you.

Above all do not change anything at the moment.

Sassenach

Escitalopram 10mgs from mid 2007 ( can't remember exact date) to 11th Dec 2018

Fentanyl patches ( don't remember dose ) from Nov 2014 to 11 Dec 2018

Quit both cold turkey Dec 2018

Reinstated 3rd March 2019 2.5 mgs.

Updosed  8March to 5mgs and holding

25/11/19 Started taper 4.5mgs and holding

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner

If you are going through Hell, keep going. NCIS series 15, David MaCallum:rolleyes:

• Administrator
On 4/8/2019 at 7:35 PM, Altostrata said:

Hello, Mary. Exactly what times of day do you take your drugs, and their dosages? Please don't change dosages for a while.

Mary, this information, including times of day for when you take your drugs and have symptoms, is essential for us to answer your questions.

Please post at least 24 hours of daily notes here in this topic. We will need to see this continually for a while.