SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

StillSinging: Lamictal, Bupropion, Vraylar?

StillSinging

Hi! I've been taking half of the 1.5 mg dose of Vraylar for a week or so I had gained weight on 6 mg, 4.5, and 3 mg. How long til I can go off of it completely? Are there smaller doses?? I'm using samples from my psych. I have been on Vraylar for about a year and have been on multiple drugs since I was almost 14. I'm 25 now!

I'm taking 0.75 mg of Vraylar , 300 mg of Bupropion in the morning with vitamin D and 300 mg of Lamotrigine at night. Lamotrigine for almost 12 years and Bupropion for around 8 to 10 years.

Anyone take similar medication and have come off of them?

2006 - 13 years old: put on Lamictal (had previously been exposed to Lexapro but taken off)

sometime around 2007 or 2008 put on Wellbutrin  and Seroquel

2011 December put on Zipraisidone (Geodon)  at mental institution (voluntarily there for depression)

sometime later 2012 maybe? put on small dose of Lithium

2018 had long psychotic episode but no hospitalization. Old psych put on Vraylar and took off Geodon not taking Seroquel anymore for a while, then saw new psych Dr. B. Took off Lithium and Seroquel, dosed Wellbutrin down to 300 mg from 450 mg

2019 then taking Lamictal 300 mg, Wellbutrin 300 mg, tapered off 6mg Vraylar (on my own) too fast! 

June 2019 hospitalized for psychosis put on Haldol 5 mg and Seroquel 400 mg. Saw psych Dr. B after hospital, took off of Wellbutrin 300 mg and put back up on Lamictal 300 mg(hospital took down to 50 mg) 400 mg to 300 mg Seroquel and Haldol tapered to 2 mg. By end of year on 0.5 mg Haldol.

December 2019-July 2020 tapered too fast no symptoms except...

July 2020 hospitalized while on vacation at the beach. Put on 900 mg Lithium and 30 mg Olanzapine and (?mg) Propanolol. Told the Propanolol was for anxiety, (once home) wasn't anxious so stopped Propanolol and started getting akathisia. Tapered down from 20 to 10 or 15 (not sure...) mg Olanzapine and...

November 2020 starting seeing new psychiatrist Dr. D. He took me down to 10 mg Olanzapine and over two years down to 7.5 mg then 5 mg. And reduced Lithium to 600 mg a day.

Currently: taking a divided dose of Lithium 300 mg a.m. and 300 mg p.m. along with 5 mg Olanzapine p.m. Doing well.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Stillsinging, 

Welcome to SA. Could we please get you fill in a drug signature first.

How long were on the Vraylar for? I’m gathering you jumped from 3mg to 1.5mg. That is a really big jump. We recommend not tapering by any more than 10% a month. 

What are your symptoms like?  We should never start tapering until we’re feeling stable, and because you’ve made such a big drop I would hold for a couple of months at least. If the symptoms get too severe sometimes updosing by a tiny bit can help. It’s not a certainty, but it has helped lots of people.

I’m water titrating my medication now, and some people use scales to get down to the tiny doses. But before you think of tapering please hold for a while. 

Someone will send you a link for to put your drug signature in, and also the information on tapering. 

Wishing you all the best with your tapering💚

Been on APs, benzos, ADs and opiates, for chronic pain. Had Akathisia in the past that made me suicidal. Still on Seroquel. 2019:➡️ March10=7.25mg ✔️ April17=7.0✔️ June5=6.75✔️ July14=6.50✔️ Aug28=6.25✔️ Oct10=6.20  ✔️ Oct21=6.0✔️ Dec16=5.80 ✔️ 2020➡️ Jan 21=5.60 ✔️ April2=5.40 ✔️ May29=5.20 ✔️ Aug14= 5.0 ✔️Sep29=4.80✔️2021➡️ Jan31=4.60 mg✔️ April24=4.40mg✔️Jul17=4.30mg ✔️ Aug 28=4.20 ✔️ Oct 11=4.15✔️Nov1=4.10 ✔️ Nov21= 4.05✔️ Dec13= 4mg ✔️2022 ➡️ Jan8=3.95✔️ Jan31=3.90✔️ March2=3.85 ✔️ April4=3.80 ✔️ June16=3.75✔️ July26=3.70✔️ Sep2=3.65✔️ Oct21=3.60 ✔️ Dec8=3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️ March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• Altostrata changed the title to StillSinging Lamictal, Bupropion, Vraylar?

Hi Carmie! I have been taking Vraylar since March or April 2018 so close to one year. My old psych took me up from 1.5 mg to 6 mg over a few months maybe half a year I can't remember.

But I was gaining my weight back from a horrible almost year long psychotic episode (that I got while on all my meds!) that led me to 120 lbs. I'm 5 foot 8 inches.

I wasn't sure what was causing the weight gain the Vraylar, my body stabilizing itself from losing a lot of weight and now eating normally, or both.

Anyway my old psych retired and I got a new one. She took me off of two of the 5 meds I was on (300mg Lithium, and some Seroquel for sleep) and decreased the Vraylar to 4.5.

I'm still using samples because Vraylar is expensive. The samples come in 6, 4.5, 3, and 1.5 mg.

Over the course of two more appointments and a few months she got me back down to 1.5 mg the lowest sample dose.

I didn't have any noticeable or at least distressing withdrawal symptoms while tapering to or on 1.5 mg except occasional weird situational anxiety.

Now this is most recent: I was concerned about more weight gain which happened still on the 1.5 dose. I saw my psych and she didn't make any med changes. I forgot to say I was concerned about my continuing weight increase despite lowering my dose to 1.5 mg.

So... Well I decided and my mom knows and I now put the 1.5 capsule contents in liquid and stir it then drink half of it. It's a small 1 ounce container I drink til the line goes to 0.5 ounces.

I've been taking 0.75 mg then for six days now in the morning. The first two mornings I felt a little nauseous after taking it for a little while but it went away after eating or on its own. Now I no longer feel nauseous when I take it in the morning unless I dont eat enough or have too much physical activity. I seem to have been very blessed that I haven't had debilitating withdrawal... yet.

***Is it okay to keep taking my iffy 0.75 mg Vraylar solution every morning if I don't have distressing withdrawal? I've been doing great so far... But if things get bad I'll go up to 1.5 again I just really hate to do that since I've stopped gaining more weight. 

*****I now take 0.75 mg of Vraylar in the morning along with 300 mg of Bupropion XL with vitamin D  (should I stop the vitamin d? I read it might make withdrawal worse. I was taking it as a vitamin) At night I take 300 mg of Lamotrigine around 9 pm. 

That's pretty much it. Thanks for your reply! I confess I'm antsy to get off all of my meds but I know tapering slow is best, one drug at a time.

I see my psych again June 25th.

2006 - 13 years old: put on Lamictal (had previously been exposed to Lexapro but taken off)

2011 December put on Zipraisidone (Geodon)  at mental institution (voluntarily there for depression)

2018 had long psychotic episode but no hospitalization. Old psych put on Vraylar and took off Geodon not taking Seroquel anymore for a while, then saw new psych Dr. B. Took off Lithium and Seroquel, dosed Wellbutrin down to 300 mg from 450 mg

2019 then taking Lamictal 300 mg, Wellbutrin 300 mg, tapered off 6mg Vraylar (on my own) too fast! 

June 2019 hospitalized for psychosis put on Haldol 5 mg and Seroquel 400 mg. Saw psych Dr. B after hospital, took off of Wellbutrin 300 mg and put back up on Lamictal 300 mg(hospital took down to 50 mg) 400 mg to 300 mg Seroquel and Haldol tapered to 2 mg. By end of year on 0.5 mg Haldol.

July 2020 hospitalized while on vacation at the beach. Put on 900 mg Lithium and 30 mg Olanzapine and (?mg) Propanolol. Told the Propanolol was for anxiety, (once home) wasn't anxious so stopped Propanolol and started getting akathisia. Tapered down from 20 to 10 or 15 (not sure...) mg Olanzapine and...

November 2020 starting seeing new psychiatrist Dr. D. He took me down to 10 mg Olanzapine and over two years down to 7.5 mg then 5 mg. And reduced Lithium to 600 mg a day.

Currently: taking a divided dose of Lithium 300 mg a.m. and 300 mg p.m. along with 5 mg Olanzapine p.m. Doing well.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi StillSinging and welcome aboard,

Sounds like you have been through a lot. 

It's probably best, at this point to just HOLD, with your current doses and drugs.  Give us a chance to get to know you.  Sometimes the changes in medications/drugs don't show up right away.......so, if I were you I think I would err now on the side of caution and just HOLD where you are at for a bit.

You are the first that I have run across who is on Vraylar(cariprazine).  I'm not finding any gathered information on it here yet.  It looks like it was just approved for usage in 2017. 

I did a quick search and found a little bit at Drugs.com.  That's usually where I begin to find out more about most medications/drugs, side effects/adverse reactions, and possible interactions with other drugs. 

You've been doing a pretty rapid reduction with it, and I'm so glad you have not noticed much, in the way of symptoms from this.

Are you a minor, or under the age of 18, StillSinging?  I'm just asking, as you referred to your Mom in the above post and it would be good for us to know, if you are still a minor.

How did you come off the Lamictal and Seroquel?  And how long ago?  You can include this information as well, in the signature format, below.

And oh my gosh,  I'm glad you have been able to put some weight back on now.

And then, just following up on Carmie's post to you:

As Carmie mentioned above, we need you to do a signature for us.  This is the portion that you see below others posts, unfortunately it can't be viewed from phone devices, but can still be created using one.

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature.

If your drug history is very long, the last few years will do. FOR READABILITY, SHORT LINES ARE BEST.

• A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs
  • Include ALL drugs, doses, and dates (starting and stopping)
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (e.g. mid-June) rather than relative time frames (e.g. 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months (e.g. "January" or "Jan" as 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as 9 Jan 2016 or 1 Sept 2016)
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses

Example:

2001–2002 paroxetine 
2003  citalopram 
2004  paroxetine
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to 2016 Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg

This will allow us to see more of your history and current medications/drugs at a glance.  And gives us a better idea of the time frames involved.

How to add or edit your signature

1. Click on this link to open the correct page in User Settings:
    Create Your Signature in "Account Settings"
    2017-June 12 update: link works on desktop, tablet and mobile phone versions

2. Enter your signature in the space provided.
  3. When you are done, Click on the big black Save button at the bottom.

Just try and do the best you can right now, with what you can remember.  And let us know, if we can help with this, okay?

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

manymoretodays(mmt)

Edited by manymoretodays
clarity

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Administrator

Welcome, StaySinging.

What times of day do you take your drugs, and their dosages?

Does Vraylar come in a capsule filled with powder? The way you're titrating it is correct, although you are reducing by 50% of the prior dose. If drinking the liquid no longer irritates your stomach, it's working, don't fix it.

With its active metabolite, Vraylar has a half-life of 2-3 weeks. It may be months before your system recognizes the drug has been substantially reduced.

You have been on some strange drug cocktails. Why are you taking Vraylar? Please look at drugs.com for side effects of any drug you might put in your mouth. Vraylar is very well known for causing weight gain.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

56 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Welcome, StaySinging.

What times of day do you take your drugs, and their dosages?

Does Vraylar come in a capsule filled with powder? The way you're titrating it is correct, although you are reducing by 50% of the prior dose. If drinking the liquid no longer irritates your stomach, it's working, don't fix it.

With its active metabolite, Vraylar has a half-life of 2-3 weeks. It may be months before your system recognizes the drug has been substantially reduced.

You have been on some strange drug cocktails. Why are you taking Vraylar? Please look at drugs.com for side effects of any drug you might put in your mouth. Vraylar is very well known for causing weight gain.

Hi Altostrata! Yes, Vraylar is a capsule filled with powder. I was put on Vraylar after going through an almost year long psychotic episode while ON all my meds at the time: 150 mg Lamotrigine and 300 mg Bupropion XL in morning, Ziprasidone 40 mg and Lithium 300 mg at night. I had lost a bunch of weight after coming OFF of my thyroid med 25 mcg, and not exercising. My psych took me off of Ziprasidone (which didn't help the delusions for some reason) and put me on 1.5 mg of Vraylar, the delusions went away. On the Vraylar, I gained half my weight back that I had lost and I thought my body was normalizing itself but I eventually realized the Vraylar was making me gain weight after a while.

***I take 300 mg Bupropion XL in the morning around 9 to 10 a.m. with the 0.75 mg Vraylar. At night, I take 300 mg Lamotrigine.

Edited by StillSinging
25 mcg thyroid med NOT 20 mg

• Administrator

Hmmmmm, what was this "psychotic episode" while taking a boatload of drugs?

Did you have any psychotic symptoms before taking any psychiatric drugs?

Why were you on a thyroid drug? How many psychiatrists have prescribed drugs for you?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

3 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Hmmmmm, what was this "psychotic episode" while taking a boatload of drugs?

Did you have any psychotic symptoms before taking any psychiatric drugs?

Why were you on a thyroid drug? How many psychiatrists have prescribed drugs for you?

Hi Alto! Just one psych for 12 years. She recently retired last year though and the new psych took me off two drugs and downed my dose of Vraylar.

Yes. I had a psychotic episode before taking drugs. It was due I think to stress most likely and weeks of insomnia. I was just having anxiety and delusions. Plus my diet had too much sugar.(inflammation?)

My episode or weird experience was very long and very uh delusional. I was hearing a voice in my head and was having side effects like extreme butterflies and hot and cold flashes and severe anxiety. I also had weird sexual "stimulating" side effects which I thought was a demon touching me. It was weird. The voice I identified with the demon. It was scary at times but also strangely euphoric since the butterflies were not accompanied by anxiety or fear.

Um. Its embarrassing to talk about so I wont say much more about it. Basically I thought I was being seduced... that's literally what it felt like. Sometimes I would lose my balance. I started seeing 3 colors blue green and red which hasn't gone away. 

That was long, sorry. Uh. I still see those pretty colors at night but I otherwise have zero side effects or delusions. That's it! Thank you all for replying so quickly.

Oh! I was on 5 mcg of thyroid med to help (?) my drugs work better. Eventually I went up to 184 lbs so I started a 25 mcg dose of the thyroid med and started exercising. Then I lost weight and stopped exercising and kept losing weight. My theory is that my "episode" started because I didn't lower my does of any meds while I lost weight. I can't think of any other reason... It was strange.

Sorry mmt! I am 25 years old but my mom still comes with me to psych appointments. I'm still on Lamotrigine and Seroquel was taken off without a taper December 2018.

I usually don't drive much. I just haven't for many years. I want this to change but it's hard. I have anxiety about driving. But it's been getting better recently. I've been driving to a friend's house for half a year now (using the highway which I don't like).

I'd like to ask. While on psych drugs I totally lost my motivation and drive and wanting to do things for myself, by myself. It was frustrating. My life felt stagnant.

I still feel like a 13 year old being driven to their first psych appointment sometimes. Has anyone gotten over weird anxiety about acting or feeling their age and feeling like a competent adult? I know. I'm hard on myself. It just feels so embarrassing. I still live at my parents house. I'm sure some of you are in the same boat too though.

Has anyone had a strange stunted growth with emotions and life skills while on psych drugs? I feel like some of my emotional and normal "growing up" got halted the day I took my first pill in 8th grade! It's very frustrating.

Edited by StillSinging
Added info

• Administrator

My guess is your episode on the drugs was caused by drug interactions and maybe an addition or drug dosage change to touch it off.  Psychiatric drug cocktails can be quite dangerous. For reference, you might want to put the ingredients of that cocktail in the Drug Interactions Checker https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php

In the future, always use the Drug Interactions Checker before adding a drug. Doctors are supposed to check for this but they don't. My guess is your new psychiatrist found something alarming in your batch of drugs.

Also, always read up on drugs at drugs.com before taking them.

The cocktail of drugs you were and are taking is designed to slow you down.

Some people are very sensitive to lack of sleep. This alone can cause symptoms of psychosis. You will want to establish good sleep habits and, if you go off drugs, be protective of your sleep for the rest of your life.

38 minutes ago, StillSinging said:

Has anyone had a strange stunted growth with emotions and life skills while on psych drugs? I feel like some of my emotional and normal "growing up" got halted the day I took my first pill in 8th grade! It's very frustrating.

Yes, others have experienced this. Please see discussions in our Finding Meaning and Relationships forums.

22 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

My guess is your episode on the drugs was caused by drug interactions and maybe an addition or drug dosage change to touch it off.  Psychiatric drug cocktails can be quite dangerous. For reference, you might want to put the ingredients of that cocktail in the Drug Interactions Checker https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php

In the future, always use the Drug Interactions Checker before adding a drug. Doctors are supposed to check for this but they don't. My guess is your new psychiatrist found something alarming in your batch of drugs.

Also, always read up on drugs at drugs.com before taking them.

The cocktail of drugs you were and are taking is designed to slow you down.

Some people are very sensitive to lack of sleep. This alone can cause symptoms of psychosis. You will want to establish good sleep habits and, if you go off drugs, be protective of your sleep for the rest of your life.

Yes, others have experienced this. Please see discussions in our Finding Meaning and Relationships forums.

Hi Alto! Thank you for your reply. I checked my meds in the drug checker. Yikes! Glad nothing worse happened. I could have had a seizure. I fainted twice though. I remember once at home and once when getting blood taken at the doctor. 

Could you explain more fully what you mean that my cocktail is slowing me down?

I confess I'm a little elevated right now because two nights ago I got 6 hours of sleep instead of regular 9 to 10. This has always been a pattern.

I feel like I'm on a stimulant or what I've read it feels like. Talking lots. This is all from going to bed a little late and waking up too soon and not going back to sleep right away.

You're right. I've always been sensitive to sleep patterns. Thanks for your great advice! I will make sure to take care of my sleep schedule! In fact I gotta take the Lamotrigine at 9 and get ready for bed soon. I usually wake up 8-9 in the morning.

• Administrator

You were very overdrugged and your nervous system went haywire.

All of the antipsychotic drugs you've been prescribed are intended to subdue symptoms. Many people become sluggish and demotivated on them.

In your signature, please specify what you're taking now and the dosages.

21 hours ago, Altostrata said:

All of the antipsychotic drugs you've been prescribed are intended to subdue symptoms. Many people become sluggish and demotivated on them.

Hi again Alto. I've updated my drug signature. Took a while. I'm more aware of the timelines now! 

Yes. I had mostly been demotivated and apathetic with blunted emotions (couldn't cry unless "hypomanic") while on drugs through high school and my brief encounter with college. 

I'm kinda journaling now for anyone interested.

College wasn't fun. I got drugged (ironically??) at a party and blacked out. Was sexually assaulted but evidence points that not much happened.

Is there a topic on here for abuse and/or trauma experiences? That would be cool. 

Realizing I've been on and still am on so many drugs is scary... I was diagnosed Bipolar II NOS and then I self diagnosed Schizoaffective at the second mental institution.

Latest psych doctor says she thinks I'm just situationally depressed and might have ADHD.

Anyway, I'm glad to be here and to meet you all! I always wanted to be on a mental health support site, but felt awkward. Reason now I know I didn't like

being labeled and declared handicapped, incompetent, always needing help (for embarrassing things) never knowing what emotions were mine or an "episode".

I feel so relieved to know I'm not alone in this! I might write a post in Finding Meaning.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, StillSinging said:

Is there a topic on here for abuse and/or trauma experiences? That would be cool.  

Finding Meaning would be a good place for this, and your journalling.

(Let's reserve your Intro topic for discussions of your taper etc.)

22 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Got it. Thanks!

• ChessieCat changed the title to StillSinging: Lamictal, Bupropion, Vraylar?

My journey to be off psych drugs

I always took my medication without thinking really. I had a psychotic episode (due to insomnia, stress, and anxiety most likely) after Christmas in 2007. I was 13. I had been taking Lexapro for a few months. My M.D. prescribed it for me. I don't quite remember why. I think I might probably have been depressed and anxious. I only now realize that taking the Lexapro could very well have caused the insomnia and resultant delusions.

Anyway, I had a breakdown. I was seen by a psych. She (Dr. S.) prescribed Lamotrigine. It seemed to quell the delusions. I was back at school, medicated and delusion free. 

Over the years I developed fatigue, irritability, and apathy. I kept taking the drugs. For fatigue, I was prescribed Bupropion  (Wellbutrin). I can't remember if it helped or not. I did develop hypomanic episodes at some point which further supported my bipolar 2 diagnosis. I would also have bouts of depression. Not the crying kind. Just apathy and mild anhedonia. I say mild because I still did some things I loved such as piano, art, singing. I did eventually lose my passion for art though. It showed up now and then sometimes. 

I always was told by my mother "It will get better", and "It won't always be this way." It didnt comfort me much. Though, looking back, it did get better. Eventually. It took around a decade. But I'm not off meds yet. I moved with my parents to a smaller comfy house in 2014 and joined our local Orthodox Church, met some loving, supportive people and made a really good friend.

It did get better. But I still didn't know that there was an alternative for taking medication. I took my meds. I needed them. Or I thought I did. So did my mother. Now, my mother really has been with me all way. She's taking psych drugs too since I was in first grade for depression and anxiety.

I went to 2 mental institutes. Thankfully never the hospital psych ward. I know a lot of you on here have been. From what I hear it's not fun and can be traumatic. I remember the people I met at the institutes. Broken, struggling people trying to get by and looking for a little hope. I connected with them. I still miss them and hope they're still fighting.

I have a long story so I'll cut it up some in chunks. This is my first post. I'll write later about my experience at college (traumatic) and other things. I have some funny memories too so I'll put those in there as well. 

Don't give up! Anyone's welcome to share their experiences and stories too.

-StillSinging

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic

• 9 months later...

Hello all. So I've been through quite a lot after my last posts on here. I was hospitalized on June 19th 2019 for psychosis after not sleeping for 2 straight nights. They did some things with my drugs at the hospital there I was put on Seroquel and Haldol and after a couple of days I was brought home. 

My psych took me off of Bupropion 300 mg completely and decreased the Seroquel from 400 mg to 300 mg. I was still taking Haldol 5 mg but having akathisia at night. So I tapered down to 2 mg of Haldol. I still had light akathisia so I tapered down to 0.5 mg over a couple months.

So now after seeing a new psych I'm taking Lamictal 300 mg at dinner (6pm) and 300 mg Seroquel and 0.5 mg of Haldol at night (9pm). I had no symptoms after being completely withdrawn from Bupropion 300 mg.

I've actually been doing pretty ok except it takes a while sometimes to fall asleep at night and it's a little hard to get out of the bed in the morning but no grogginess thankfully.

I'm seeing my old psych on Friday the 10th and even though we went to see a new psych in December who is ok with helping me taper, she's an hour and 30 minutes away. I'm hoping I'll be able to convince my old psych to help me taper instead of seeing the new one that's so far away (that I don't really like)

The new psych said that people in their 20's are most at risk for episodes and she said the word "disease" (talking about bipolar) more than 4 times and also recommended I take a benzodiazepine like Klonopin for my mild anxiety. Because of these things I feel uncomfortable with her but I have more willpower now than ever before so I think I'll be able to stand my ground. I just would be more comfortable with my old psych.

I guess I have a question. I'm thinking of tapering Seroquel first since I've only been taking it since June and after that taper Lamictal. I've been taking that for 13 years so I expect worse side effects for that.

Anyway I need to update my medication quote. Any thoughts from people who have gotten off of Seroquel and Lamictal?

So after reading some things I'd like to ask: is it safe to go off of 0.5 mg of Haldol? Short answer: probably not but I went down from 5 to 2 and 2 to 1 mg and 1 mg to 0.5 with no side effects. I'm taking 300 mg of Lamictal and 300 mg Seroquel as part of my cocktail. Would the side effects take a few weeks to show up? I'm seeing my psych on Friday should I get another prescription for 2 mg? I've been taking the Haldol since June last year. 

• 2 years later...

An update! So... I was hospitalized in July 2020... I tapered too fast again and became psychotic. Since November 2020 I've been seeing a different psychiatrist who is supportive of me going off meds. I was on 30 mg of Zyprexa and 900 mg (I think) Lithium at the hospital plus Propanolol (?). A lot has happened since then. I'm now on 5mg of Zyprexa (Olanzapine) and 600 mg of Lithium. A few months ago I took up crocheting, and I've been driving new places in my car like the library, shopping center, my acupuncturist, and my psychiatrist on my own. I really am doing much better. I developed some vertigo at the end of September though which was really bad the first day then less so the next week and it now has mostly gone away. I thought it might be a delayed reaction to tapering or just my body healing. 

I understand from reading an article recently about how important it is to taper slowly... I can get impatient. I'd really like to be off of Olanzapine asap buuuuut... that's just not smart for me. I think I've developed super sensitivity psychosis. 

Some positive things though. I'm really loving the crochet it helps with anxiety and I took a clay wheel throwing class in August. Also I made a new friend.

• Moderator Emeritus

I am glad that you are enjoying you new activities.  I like crocheting and I also did some pottery when I was in my early 20s.  I'm pleased to read that you have made a new friend.

Post #1 of this topic has links to helpful topics:

Important topics in the Tapering forum and FAQ

Post #1 of this topic has information about how to taper olanzapine:

Tips for tapering off olanzapine (Zyprexa)

This topic might be helpful:

hypersensitivity-and-kindling

You might also find some helpful information here:

http://willhall.net/comingoffmeds/

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thanks so much!

• 1 month later...

So I'm just posting some good news and update: The vertigo that started late September has completely gone away it's been almost a month. I just refilled my Lithium Carbonate. I have a really supportive psychiatrist who is okay with tapering. I want to go to 300mg of Lithium a day and stay on that dose while I slowly decrease the Olanzapine. I've read that compounding pharmacies are really expensive so I wanted to jump down to 2.5 mg of the Olanzapine and then slowly taper instead of going to 4.5... etc. I guess it's just me wanting to get off this stuff a.s.a.p. but it's not smart. I really am doing loads better on the doses I'm on. I don't have any side effects, the vertigo is gone. I just posted an article about tapering and dose occupancy and it's like I don't want to take my own advice. Both my drugs are "brakes" and I'm hoping staying on the Lithium while I reduce Olanzapine will help reduce any withdrawal.

I really like my psychiatrist he might be a rare bird. Some drug rep (I think) came before my appointment in August and when she left she said: "Well that's how it works around here" in response to him saying: "I just do not agree/am not comfortable with that" He told me that I could be off drugs and I'd "know". I printed out that article I posted in the Journals section and gave a copy to him. He seemed to know about tapering and he seemed to know what I was talking about (why it's extra hard to taper at low doses).

I have done a lot (probably too much) research on tapering from Olanzapine and it seems like an incredibly difficult drug to get off of so I would advise against dropping from 5mg directly to 2.5mg since that is a 50% drop and could generate significant withdrawal symptoms. I would recommend the method suggested here which is no more than 10% drop per month.

If getting it compounded is too expensive for you, you can try using a scale or making your own liquid compound. Believe both are covered at Tips for tapering off Zyprexa (Olanzapine)

Wish you the best of luck with your upcoming tapers.

Pre- October 2022: Wellbutrin, Escitalopram, CitalopramSertraline, Adderall IR, Vyvanse, Propranolol, Buspar, Ativan, and Latuda

Oct 13, 2022 - Oct 24, 2022 and Oct 31, 2022 - Present: Zyprexa (2.5 mg). Jan 14, 2023 -> Began transition to liquid suspension. Jan 29, 2023 = 2.375mg -> Feb 12, 2023 = 2.25mg -> Feb 27, 2023 = 2.14mg -> Mar 12, 2023 = 2.025mg -> Mar 27, 2023 = 1.93mg -> Apr 10, 2023 = 1.82mg -> Apr 23, 2023 = 1.74mg -> May 7, 2023 = 1.64mg -> May 21, 2023 = 1.56mg -> June 4, 2023 = 1.48mg -> June 19, 2023 = 1.4mg -> July 2, 2023 = 1.33mg -> July 16, 2023 = 1.26mg -> July 31, 2023 = 1.2mg -> Aug 13, 2023 = 1.14mg -> Aug 27, 2023 = 1.08mg -> Sep 13, 2023 = 1.02mg -> Jan 22, 2024 = 0.97mg -> Feb 4, 2024 = 0.92mg -> Feb 19, 2024 = 0.87mg -> Mar 3, 2024 = 0.83mg -> Mar 17, 2024 = 0.78mg

Oct 14, 2022 - Present: Prozac (40mg) upped from 20mg on Nov 1, 2022.

Oct 31, 2022 - Present: Gabapentin (300mg 3x day) -> May 3, 2023 = 300mg 2x day -> Oct 1, 2023 = 570mg -> Oct 15, 2023 = 540mg -> Oct 29, 2023 = 510mg -> Nov 13, 2023 = 484mg -> Nov 27, 2023 = 460mg -> Dec 9, 2023 = 436mg -> Dec 24, 2023 = 414mg -> Jan 7, 2024 = 400mg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your input Firefly. I tapered way too fast the other two times on different antipsychotics and all hell broke loose twice (hospitalized). 

• 4 months later...

Just an update! I've been doing extremely well since last October with my mental and physical health. I did reduce my lithium dosage to 300 mg this past February and now just take that with the 5 mg Olanzapine in the p.m. I got a job at the end of January too! I'm still working there currently. I'm not having any noticeable ill effects from the doses I take, but I do want to discontinue the Olanzapine at 10 percent like suggested. I read a thread of someone going down from 5mg and that at about 3 mg they got re hospitalized. Since I have been hospitalized twice, once in 2019 and once in 2020, I don't want to go through that again. But I seem to be working through some trauma that started back in junior high. I cry quite a bit now, and have been crying regularly for a few years now, but it is usually cathartic. I don't like to cry at night though because then I get puffy eyes in the morning.

Oh! I got through a milestone recently, too! I turned 30 this year. 

I might have a question for someone: Would it be better to taper Olanzapine first, or Lithium? I was thinking that I would do a (looooong) taper of Olanzapine, and hope that the numbing of the Lithium might help with any withdrawal effects. The only noticeable withdrawal effects I've had is vertigo last year that was delayed a few months (I think?), probably after the reduction of Olanzapine from 7.5 to 5 mg.

-Meg