Myrah

Cold turkey recovery tips

Myrah

Hello,

My daughter stopped her anti depressants cold turkey and is now in a recovery state.. 

Could people who stopped cold turkey and are recovering better, please throw us some light on what can be done to help those who CTed abrubtly..

Thanks for the support and guidance..

Sean

I quit cold turkey and the withdrawals hit me hard a few months after discontinuing lexapro. I wasnt aware of what was going on at the time, so I spent a lot of time going to different doctors, ER visits, etc. trying to figure out what was going on. After about 4-5 months of dealing with the withdrawal symptoms, I finally figured out what was going on and I re-instated lexapro at my original dosage. This actually made it a lot worse, so we dropped the dosage. I tried to ride that out but still felt like a hot mess (to put it very lightly) so after a while of messing around with dosages with lexapro, my doctor put me on celexa at a low dose and I was able to stabilize from there. I'm still on celexa and feeling so much better, even though I prefer not to be on any anti-depressant at all, I just had to bite the bullet. I literally could not function at all...so I was desperate.

Re-instating isnt always right for everyone...so it's really imperative to sit down with your daughter and see what the pros and cons are with your options. I couldn't ride out the withdrawals and go to work at the same time. I had bills to pay and just became a father, so I had to provide for my family. I do plan on tapering very slowly within the next year or so. Whichever route you and your daughter decide to take, I hope the best for you both!

Undiagnosed1

I personally CT and fast tapered all of my meds. It was beyond horrific and was by far the hardest time of my life. Fish oil, mag citrate and taurine were the only things I used and the relief provided was very little. I refused to reinstate although there were many times I just wanted to give up and try anything for relief. Unfortunately there is very little you can do to help or to relieve her symptoms other than to reinstate at a very low dose and that is still very risky in my opinion. I feel very fortunate that I have recovered, but I was left with some issues do to the trauma I went through and even that is slowly getting better. If there are any other questions you have please feel free to ask, as a good support system is a big help during these trying times.

Joe

coldturkmama

how long was she on the medication and at what dose?

i cold turkeyed off Paxil after 14-15 years on 20 mg and then a year of 40mg.

i didn’t have any withdrawal symptoms until 6 weeks off and then all hell broke loose. I didn’t realize that it was withdrawal until a while later. 

Had I known, I could have tried reinstating but unfortunately that can make things MUCH worse.

withdrawal can last years! Please get her back on the meds and have her taper slowwwwwwly if it’s safe to do so.

Myrah

@coldturkmama “Had I known, I could have tried reinstating butunfortunately that can make things MUCH worse. “— would going back make things worse than it is now?  She was on meds from Dec 2017 to November 2018 on 50mg antidepressant and 1mg ssri..And was before on the same drug from 2012 to May 2016 and stopped ..it had to be started again in dec 2017..how to know if it’s safe to go back?

Myrah

Why is everyone saying reinstating even at low dose can sometimes  make things much worse? Please guide ..and explain more ..

Myrah

How to reinstate? Should I start a low dose for both the drugs -ad plus ssri? Or start with one? Any recommendations?

thecowisback
9 hours ago, Myrah said:

Why is everyone saying reinstating even at low dose can sometimes  make things much worse? Please guide ..and explain more ..

it works for relieving the worst of the withdrawal symptoms for some people. for some others it either does nothing or it can actually make withdrawal symptoms worse, which is why it's all a bit of a gamble. 😥

Elyssa143

I reinstated after 4 days off zoloft at the lowest dose possible. I never stabalized and It actually made me worse. I honestly think for me reinstating made me worse. But it can work for some people. And I tapere the med as my dr perscribed. Although way too fast.  Withdrawl is hell. And im sorry shes going through it but we do we do heal. It just takes time💓

WantoffVen

This should have been posted in Introductions so a moderator would see it. So I'm gonna ask @Alto, @Gridley, @ChessieCat to move it and offer their suggestions and all they do for new inquiries.

coldturkmama

It can cause kindling (I believe it’s called) and make everything so much worse. If she has been off of it any amount of time, I would advise against it. 

Olivia2386

I went cold turkey after a high dosage of Zoloft for 3 years. The worst of my withdrawals were the first two weeks. I felt “zaps” throughout my body. Thankfully I had coworkers to help me with advice. I also was working out, and dairy free and gluten free. I was off for about 2 years, until I decided to go back on because I got off my healthy routine and was in school and stress and anxiety got the best of me. I found Paxil and Wellbutrin and I’ve been good ever since. But I want off the drugs because I eventually want kids and don’t want to risk any birth defects. Now seeking the best way to get off without severe withdrawals.