Vivienne: any help getting off trazodone after 26 days

Vivienne

• ChessieCat changed the title to Annie: trazodone problems
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Annie, 

Welcome to SA. I moved your post over here to Introductions and updates. You can ask any questions you have here, and journal your journey.

When did you start the trazodone? How many mgs are you on?

Have you been on any other medications? When, and how long ago did you stop if you have?  How quickly did you taper off them?

Are you taking any other medications now? If so, what dosages are you on? 

Take care, sending hugs 🤗

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Annie: trazodone trial
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Vivienne, 

Welcome to SA. I’ve moved your thread to Introductions And Updates. This is where you can ask questions, and journal your journey. 

You said you’ve been on trazodone for 26 days. What dosage are you on, and have you changed dosage since you started it? 

Have you been on any other medications in the past?

Are you on any other medications now? If so, what are they and what doses are you on? 

If you want to see other stories of people who are tapering or have tapered trazodone just press on the trazodone tag that I put on the top of the page. It doesn’t matter what medications we are tapering, we can get the same withdrawals symptoms with most of them, whether antidepressants, antipsychotics or benzos. 

Take care, sending hugs🤗

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Annie, 

When you say lowest dose, are you splitting the 50mg tablet and taking 25mg?

Could you please tell me if you’re on any other medication as well, or if you’ve tapered off any other medication recently, as I asked above. Thank you. 

When you say you’re worse, what are you symptoms?

We recommend tapering by no more than 10% a month, this can be done by crushing the tablet and weighing it on a scale or using a liquid. The scale that a lot of people like to use is the Gemini 20. I’ll ask the other mods if they think you can go off the meds quicker then 10% a month seeing that you have only been on it for a month. Could you please answer the questions above first though, thanks.

Take care💚

YES! I have a success story for you, mine😊.

As Carmie mentions, it’s best to know a bit about your history before passing on advice. That said,  if you’re ready to taper, in my mind there’s no better way to taper than switching over to liquid Trazodone and reducing your dosages very slowly. I live in Spain and they did not have liquid Trazodone here. So I contacted a compounding pharmacy in London that was able to prepare me the solution provided I gave them with a prescription from a doctor.

Again, I do not know your situation but if you don’t need to come off this medication due to a bad reaction, then I suggest the slower the titration the better the results.  Feel free to ask me more questions.

regards

Stefan

May 2018
- 75 mg Zoloft 
- 75 mg Trazadone 
- 0.75 mg Xanax 

March 2019
- 75 mg Zoloft
- 2 mg / 1 ml liquid Diazepam 

August 2019

- ended diazepam taper

75 mg Zoloft 

My intro thread: Oliver1974: sertraline / Zoloft tapering

My benzo thread: Oliver1974: Benzo withdrawal and backache

• ChessieCat changed the title to Vivienne: any help getting off trazodone after 26 days
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Vivienne, 

If you are feeling stable symptom wise and you would like to taper, please taper by no more than 10% a month. You can get a scale to measure the trazodone, the Gemini scale seems to be quite popular. Or you can get liquid trazodone. As Oliver above said, he found using the liquid the best for him. You have to find what works for you. 

Could you please answer the above questions. Are you on any other medications at the moment?

Have you been on any other medications in the past couple of years, have you come off any other medication? 

What symptoms do you have at the moment?

You can get off the trazodone, you just have to taper really slowly. Take care💚

20 minutes ago, Carmie said:

Hi Vivienne, 

If you are feeling stable symptom wise and you would like to taper, please taper by no more than 10% a month. You can get a scale to measure the trazodone, the Gemini scale seems to be quite popular. Or you can get liquid trazodone. As Oliver above said, he found using the liquid the best for him. You have to find what works for you. 

Could you please answer the above questions. Are you on any other medications at the moment?

Have you been on any other medications in the past couple of years, have you come off any other medication? 

What symptoms do you have at the moment?

You can get off the trazodone, you just have to taper really slowly. Take care💚

Thank you for your reply. You have very helpful advice. Yes i hope to get off this in slow taper.  Ive had every anti dep can try. He now says i need to do without and just use diazepam as my main problem is anxiety.  You have had a rough ride. Im pretty sure trazadone has exacerbated ibs and irritable bladder as they started up after a long period away within two weeks of it.  Now i feel worse.  Just dont know what to do as nothing has worked.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Vivienne / Annie,

It seems that you have joined with two member names.  We have merged the two topics into Vivienne and the memberships will be merged into Vivienne.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus
On 4/12/2019 at 5:50 AM, Vivienne said:

Ive had every anti dep can try. He now says i need to do without and just use diazepam as my main problem is anxiety.

Welcome to SA, Vivienne. It's possible that some of your anxiety is from the drugs you've been on and their withdrawal.

Also, Trazodone has the active metabolite, meta-Chlorophenylpiperazine (mCPP), which can make you feel sick with anxiety and other symptoms the next day. For more on this and how to taper, please see:

Tips for tapering off trazodone (Desyrel)

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

How long have you been taking diazepam? 

Please add a signature.  Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 

• Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Hi thanks for the reply.

i hope this is the info you need

diazepam 9mg daily four years

trialled for three weeks sertraline 23 months ago

trialled one week risperidone 13 months ago

managed on diazepam only from February 2018

asked for something to help sleep and anxiety trazodone 26 days ago.

coming off as of last week

hope this is what you need

• Moderator Emeritus

Are you interested in coming off the diazepam or just the Trazodone?

Please post the time(s) of day you take your drugs and the dose of each. 

Does the diazepam help with sleep? 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Vivienne, 

How are you doing?💚

• Administrator
On 4/11/2019 at 1:08 AM, Vivienne said:

Yes, i am the same, super sensitive to any anti depressant tried.  Just had26 days of trazodone and feeling worse.  Dont know how to get off. Dr just seemed to think stop taking but the insomnia is bad and the anxiety worse.  Anyone here know if short term trial of medication is able to be stopped

@Vivienne , how are you doing?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.