4 hours ago, Gridley said:

Thanks, Gracee.  Credit for originating the definition goes to Brassmonkey.

OK Credit where credit is due.   However, both you and @brassmonkey are total gems.

Hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg, Multi vit., Calcium, D3,  Magnesium, Fish Oil, Melatonin,  Ambien 3.3 mg 1 or 2X/mo.  Benadryl-seldom, .......2002 - eliminated alcohol

2002- Paxil - 20 mg (3 WD attempts: 2005, 2008, 2010)

2011 - 30 mg 

2018 - 40 mg- Sept to Nov} {Dec - 37.5}

Jan 2, 2019 - 35 mg

Jan 11 -  33.75 mg

Jan 28 - 32.5 mg

Feb 4 -  33.75 mg 

Mar 4 - 32 mg

Mar 30 - 30 mg

I understand how you feel.

Why did you decide to taper?

Hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg, Multi vit., Calcium, D3,  Magnesium, Fish Oil, Melatonin,  Ambien 3.3 mg 1 or 2X/mo.  Benadryl-seldom, .......2002 - eliminated alcohol

2011 - 30 mg 

Jan 2, 2019 - 35 mg

Jan 11 -  33.75 mg

Jan 28 - 32.5 mg

Feb 4 -  33.75 mg 

Mar 4 - 32 mg

Mar 30 - 30 mg

11 minutes ago, Gracee said:

I understand how you feel.

Why did you decide to taper?

In December I was having trouble with my anxiety and panic attacks so I tried going from 10mg to 20mg which made me have a panic attack every hour.

So I thought I didnt need it and went to get help where a medication doctor told me I didnt need to be on medication to "cure" anxiety just therapy.

So I was like ok let's do this. She also said she'd never heard of anyone having trouble coming off of Escitalopram before so that reassured me to taper off quick with no problems.

Well I was wrong and so was she. 

I should've just stayed at 10mg and started therapy to learn to manage my anxiety.

We live and learn I guess.

Escitalopram 10mg

Tapered to 5mg

Tapered to 2.5mg

To 0mg

Reinstated 5mg

Ok.   I understand.   My situation was similar.    I was originally on 20 mg Paxil.   Over 17 years I updated to 30mg.   When I reached tolerance I was up-dosed to 40 mg.   I pretty much pooped out at 40.   I tapered down to 30 mg where I now feel comfortable.   I am in no hurry to reduce for the time being.

2011 - 30 mg 

Jan 2, 2019 - 35 mg

Jan 11 -  33.75 mg

Jan 28 - 32.5 mg

Feb 4 -  33.75 mg 

Mar 4 - 32 mg

Mar 30 - 30 mg

2 hours ago, Gracee said:

Ok.   I understand.   My situation was similar.    I was originally on 20 mg Paxil.   Over 17 years I updated to 30mg.   When I reached tolerance I was up-dosed to 40 mg.   I pretty much pooped out at 40.   I tapered down to 30 mg where I now feel comfortable.   I am in no hurry to reduce for the time being.

I keep reading that pooped out but I'm not exactly sure what it means?

Escitalopram 10mg

Tapered to 5mg

Tapered to 2.5mg

To 0mg

Reinstated 5mg

9 minutes ago, Rianon said:

I keep reading that pooped out but I'm not exactly sure what it means?

Stopped working.

2011 - 30 mg 

Jan 2, 2019 - 35 mg

Jan 11 -  33.75 mg

Jan 28 - 32.5 mg

Feb 4 -  33.75 mg 

Mar 4 - 32 mg

Mar 30 - 30 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

So sorry you are feeling so out of sorts. Good idea to focus on stabilizing for now. It may take several months to stabilize and after that you can decide if you want to go through with a much slower taper, like the 10% per month schedule advocated on this site. But don't worry about that now.

I think it may be a good idea to change the time you are taking your medication so you aren't as drowsy during the day. Mods--any guidance on how Rianon can change her dosage time?

Antidepressants are sedating. I take mine 3 hrs before bedtime and that schedule works well for me.

Apr 2018: Began 10 mg Amitriptyline (for headaches & insomnia from concussion).

Jul - Aug 2018: Fast taper to 5 mg and then 2.5 mg (too fast, hellish withdrawal at 2.5 mg). Sept 2018: Reinstated 10 mg (many symptoms improved). Oct 2018 - Apr 2019: Updosed & stabilized on 11 mg (2 waves at 3 and 5 months post-withdrawal). Apr 2019 - Apr 2020: Tapered 0.5-0.25 mg per month using compounded pills: 11 mg —> 6 mg. (2 waves at 12 and 16 months post-withdrawal.) Apr 2020 - present: Switched to a liquid taper at rate of 0.1 mg per month. Currently: 1.1 mg. No more waves. 

Supplements: Omega-3 fish oil, Vit B12, coenzyme Q10, Hawthorn extract (for tachycardia) Tools for insomnia/waves (as needed): Epsom salt foot soaks, 0.5 mg Melatonin, quality time, waves WILL PASS. Lifestyle: Eat real foods, mostly plants; sunlight, walking, yoga; symptom tracking on adapted Glenmullen chart.

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, composter said:

Antidepressants are sedating.

Composter, tricyclic antidepressants like your Amitriptyline, are indeed sedating.  By contrast, SSRI antidepressants like Escitalopram are activating (stimulating), not sedating, and are best taken in the morning.  I switched gradually from taking Lexapro at night to morning and slept better.   My tricyclic, Imipramine, I take at night.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Rianon

Have you had any improvement yet ?

I had a thoroughly lousy week including yesterday, even thought the med might have pooped out.

Gridley said unlikely, today has been so much better.

All the best 

Sassenach

Escitalopram 10mgs from mid 2007 ( can't remember exact date) to 11th Dec 2018

Fentanyl patches ( don't remember dose ) from Nov 2014 to 11 Dec 2018

Quit both cold turkey Dec 2018

Reinstated 3rd March 2019 2.5 mgs.

Updosed  8March to 5mgs and holding

25/11/19 Started taper 4.5mgs and holding

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner

If you are going through Hell, keep going. NCIS series 15, David MaCallum:rolleyes:

• Moderator Emeritus
On 4/19/2019 at 6:05 PM, Gridley said:

Composter, tricyclic antidepressants like your Amitriptyline, are indeed sedating.  By contrast, SSRI antidepressants like Escitalopram are activating (stimulating), not sedating, and are best taken in the morning.  I switched gradually from taking Lexapro at night to morning and slept better.   My tricyclic, Imipramine, I take at night.

Thank you for clarifying, Gridley! Good to know.

Apr 2018: Began 10 mg Amitriptyline (for headaches & insomnia from concussion).

Jul - Aug 2018: Fast taper to 5 mg and then 2.5 mg (too fast, hellish withdrawal at 2.5 mg). Sept 2018: Reinstated 10 mg (many symptoms improved). Oct 2018 - Apr 2019: Updosed & stabilized on 11 mg (2 waves at 3 and 5 months post-withdrawal). Apr 2019 - Apr 2020: Tapered 0.5-0.25 mg per month using compounded pills: 11 mg —> 6 mg. (2 waves at 12 and 16 months post-withdrawal.) Apr 2020 - present: Switched to a liquid taper at rate of 0.1 mg per month. Currently: 1.1 mg. No more waves. 

Supplements: Omega-3 fish oil, Vit B12, coenzyme Q10, Hawthorn extract (for tachycardia) Tools for insomnia/waves (as needed): Epsom salt foot soaks, 0.5 mg Melatonin, quality time, waves WILL PASS. Lifestyle: Eat real foods, mostly plants; sunlight, walking, yoga; symptom tracking on adapted Glenmullen chart.

I have good days and bad days.

Sometimes I'll have good mornings and bad nights or bad mornings and good nights. 

The awful nausea in the morning has gone thank god.

The only complaints I have right now are the self detachment I always forget the right word for that and a lot of things remind me of the past and it gives me a strange sort of feeling. Almost like I'm re-living that moment and that weird feeling it gave me as a child and teenager. I've had these feelings before taking the lexapro and occasionally on the lexapro. I'm trying to ignore it till eventually hopefully I wont notice anymore.

But I do definitely feel a lot better now being back on the medication. I'm back to work and trying to keep my mind busy. 

I'm in the process of hunting for a good therapist and psychiatrist so fingers crossed. 

Maybe after a few months if I'm still feeling funky I'll go back up to my original dose of the 10mg. 

For now I'm going to stay on the 5mg till I stabilize and see how I feel. 

But I really don't see a future of me ever being completely off the medication which I've come to terms with. 

Today wasnt the best day, but I am also a female and we all know what comes with being a female every month Haha.

I'm staying positive and keeping strong!

I've been eating a lot more too which is good. I know if I can't eat then there is something really wrong because I love food haha.

Escitalopram 10mg

Tapered to 5mg

Tapered to 2.5mg

To 0mg

Reinstated 5mg

• 4 years later...

I'll make this as quick and short as possible. October 2022 my dad had confessed to the family he had been off his antidepressants for a little over a year and had gone to see an ex girlfriend which caused him to spiral into a deppresion. Since October of 2022 he has gone on and off of numerous medications with no success. He was battling the side effects more than his own deppresion. He has lost over 50 pounds is in a constant state of worry and irrational thoughts. As of February 26th he stopped taking Olanzapine 5mg tablet which he started in January and Mirtazapine 30mg tablet which he started in January because he thought it was the cause of his bladder issues. Then he stopped taking Lexapro 10mg March 5th and he started that in February, then he stopped Colonzapam 0.5mg March 9th and he had been taking that since November at least. His psychiatrist made the ok for him to take all of these drugs and stop them cold turkey. This past week has been hell due to what I belive is withdrawal from the psych meds and the Colonzapam which is a benzo. We went to the emergency room thursday his physical health is wonderful they wanted to keep him in the psych ward but he's got a strong support system and we are with him 24/7. After the visit to the ER two days ago we asked his psychiatrist to prescribe him something to sleep, he prescribed Trazodone 50mg to take at night. The first night he had panic attacks and last night he took one at 7pm woke up at 2am and has been having panic attacks since. He doesn't belive me that they are panic attacks he believes he is going to die tonight. Could he be having a serious adverse reaction to the Trazodone? His body is so sensitive to everything. I just want his misery to end I don't know where else to turn. I need help, help for him. 

He has been diagnosed with MDD, Depression, Anxiety, OCD. He has been battling mental illness since he was a teen and he has been sober for 15 years from alcohol now. 

Escitalopram 10mg

Tapered to 5mg

Tapered to 2.5mg

To 0mg

Reinstated 5mg

Posted (edited)

Please don't create topics in the Symptoms & Self Care forum for issues with family members. Either post here, in your thread, or direct your father to start his own topic.

Edited by Erimus

Active Monday-Friday UK time

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - April 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021; Failed taper attempt (50 -> 49) - Jan 2024; Second attempt to start taper - 17 Feb 2024

Current dose: 48.9mg (Feb 2024)

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg  - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Cod liver oil