SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

SeanM: off SSRIs month and a half and have severe irritability and anger

SeanM

Hey Everyone,

Thank you ahead of time for anyone who gives me some follow up regarding this post.

I was on Celexa 20-40mg for over a Decade, switched to Setraline (Zoloft) for about 8 months, and decided I've never really truly been any happier on the meds, but had increased side effects like excessive sweating that actually increased anxiety.  I also was on Adderall XR 20 mg for my ADD, and have switched to Concerta.

I quit the SSRI's and it has been about a month and half just about.

Pros:  No excessive sweating, feel better rested and not completely exhausted when I wake up like I have been for years, feel like my energy is a bit higher.

cons: MAJOR irritability and anger.  Not that any of my anger is actionable, however I know find people and the things they do (or don't do) extremely irritating and making me very angry.  Somewhat foggy thinking because i'm now picking up little annoyances wherever I go or whatever I see.

I went back to the Physiatrist who just wants to med me up, and he tells me I'm over the withdrawal phase and that I am just most likely inherently angry and irritable.  I truly find that disheartening because i'm not, but then again  I very well could be!

Has anyone had a similar journey like me?  If so, please share??? Would be much appreciated.  I'm really contemplating getting back on meds, but I really DO NOT want to do that.

• ChessieCat changed the title to SeanM: off SSRIs month and a half and have severe irritability and anger
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Sean.

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants.

Are you completely off all drugs now? From your post, it sounds like you still may be on Concerta? 

You have insight into your emotions and are recognizing it as something that you wouldn't act on and it's something that's concerning you, so I don't think your psychiatrist is correct that you're an "inherently angry and irritable" person. It sounds like you're dealing with withdrawal, which can last for a number of years. 

And there's plenty of information out there about these drugs causing anger and irritability while on them and after coming off. We refer to these types of exaggerated emotions as "neuro emotions":

Neuro emotions

Dealing with anger during SSRI withdrawal

Here is some information on withdrawal to get you started: 

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain

Healing from antidepressants. Patterns of recovery video (4 minutes)

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Are We There Yet? How Long is Withdrawal Going to Take?

You may find some helpful information to handle your symptoms here: 

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

We don't recommend a lot of supplements, as many members report their nervous systems are simply too fragile to handle them. However, magnesium and fish oil tend to be calming to the nervous system and many people report they do help. Please only add in one supplement at a time and at a small dose. For more, please see:

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

Please add a signature.  Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 

• Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Please continue to use this thread to document your recovery and to ask questions. 

Hey Shep, 

thanks so much for your thoughtful and detailed response. I appreciate the links as well. Yes I am on concerta, taking 36 mg daily. I’m completely off everything else. I was/am discouraged because most information I’ve read states that withdrawal symptoms should be gone after a month or so. While I no longer have the brain zaps, which actually were kind of neat in a weird way, now it is slight anxiety and major irritability.  I’m very happy to be off the SSRI and want to fight through this on my own. I was diagnosed when I was about 12 or 13 with ADD , never really took medication until the latter part of undergrad. I’ve been fortunate with work and family, and should be super duper happy!  I feel like concerta is less invasive on my personality and when I stopped taking adderall for even a day or two it was a nightmare. Concerta is much better if I don’t take it for a day or two. 

I am absolutely Fascinated by the brain chemistry of NT’s and if I didn’t love my job so much I would totally go down that road.

best,

Sean

Hi @SeanM  i’ve had a very similar experience with SSRI and stimulants. We are all different. For me tapering my SSRI has made me irritable as hell! I am still tapering so still get irritable as hell although a little less.  I’ve taken adderall before and I feel it was too activating. In fact Concerta has been a less bad ADD med for me. I  am trying to get off Celexa and have been tapering slowly and it has been really awful. I think the anger thing could be very much a big part SSRI discontinuation. Maybe ask someone who knew you well before beginning Antidepressants.  I think your shrink doesn’t know that much about quitting SSRI s. Good luck Sean

Citalopram 2 mg

Clonazopam .25 mg

Lamotrigine 150 mg

Jb,

sounds like Ike we are in a similar boat. I was on celexa for 10+ years before switching to Zoloft. Yeah the irritability is really bad, everyone has really noticed I’m super negative lately. Ugh not fun! How long have you been tapering? I probably stopped wayyy too soon as I only reduced from 100 mg of zploft to 50 for a week then stopped. It’s been about a month and a half or more

I’ve been tapering for 9 months.  40 mg to 6 mg. The discontinuation symptoms I have experiencing are pronounced and very real despite my slow taper.  If I was to taper fast I think I would be unable to function and go to work etc.  We are all different. In my opinion It sounds like you are tapering too fast. 

It may be my own unique experience... however I routinely find myself getting super pissed off at people and especially in situations where I am unable to move. Such as lines, traffic, in crowded places where you sit etc.  Out of necessity I try to make it a habit to think twice before reacting verbally on my irritability because I have little reservation speaking my mind. I find that I am so over sensitive to stimuli that I will even cover my ears, cover my eyes, or purposely isolate myself to chill out and return when more calm  

Citalopram 2 mg

Clonazopam .25 mg

Lamotrigine 150 mg

Yes I agree I think I’ve tapered way too quickly. Well that certainly makes me feel better that’s for sure. Thanks for your feedback and I hope the things you are experience subside as soon as possible for you. 

Best,

Sean

• Administrator

Welcome, Sean.

What times of day do you take Concerta? Are your symptom worse at any particular times of day? Keeping daily notes about drug schedule and symptom pattern can tell us a lot. You might have side effects from Concerta or something else.

FYI -- If you were sweating while on Celexa, you were suffering from an adverse reaction to a dosage that was too high.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

1 hour ago, SeanM said:

Yes I agree I think I’ve tapered way too quickly. Well that certainly makes me feel better that’s for sure. Thanks for your feedback and I hope the things you are experience subside as soon as possible for you. 

Best,

Sean

👍🏼

Citalopram 2 mg

Clonazopam .25 mg

Lamotrigine 150 mg