BeWell: AD taper

BeWell

I am in a world of hurt with SSRI withdrawals. I would like to change my username. However, my cognitive functioning is not well. I do not want to use my real name. 

I have been on multiple meds since around age 18. I am almost 46. Multiple changes over the years. 4 years ago I was poly drugged. Multiple changes during that time.

June of 2017 I started tapering off of 60mg of Cymbalta.

August 2017 I switched to liquid generic Prozac to finish my taper. I got stuck. I tapered gradually on and off 8/17 to 8/18. I was down to 4mg. Liquid 1 ml or so. I tried TMS - made tiny cuts - had multiple life changes. I lost my mind. I tried updosing per Psychiatrist..where I had recd TMS. We may have gotten up to 1.4 ml’s. I waited about three weeks.

Checked myself into mental hospital after that. I Felt If I could get to a therapeutic dose of SSRI I would get better. (At the suggestion of my sister and her husband). Hospital moved my Prozac dose to 10mg tablet for a day. Stopped it. Started 25 mg of Sertraline.

Five days later they moved me to 50mg of Sertraline. This happened the beginning of Oct. 2018. I was not getting well. The burning in my feet was still almost unbearable. I held for maybe 5 weeks at this.

I went back to my regular dr..who seemed somewhat knowledgeable regarding w/d’s due to his own personal experience. We tapered me off 50 mg of Sertraline in 5 weeks. Last 6mg (or so) dose was 12/23. I thought I could beat the w/d’s. So did my doctor apparently. He thought the first 4-6 weeks would be the hardest. It’s a very long upsetting story. I got out of the mental hospital a week ago. My daughters and friend had advised this. Due to strong suicidal ideation, depression, agitation, akathesia, intrusive thoughts, etc. The list is endless with my physical and mental symptoms. I checked myself out of there because they did not believe in my story of withdrawals. And wanted to add an antipsychotic “Latuda”. I did not.

I also started Valium 4 mg almost 4 weeks ago. My doctor thought this would possibly calm me down. The hospital took me down to 3mg Valium 2 weeks ago today.

I am 4 months off SSRI’s..too late for reinstatement I believe. I see my doctor Wednesday to discuss the Disc of Valium and taper.

I am also a recovering alcoholic of 9 years. I am using nicotine gum 5-10 times a day. I was smoking 1 1/2 packs of cigarettes a day. I have 0 ability of functioning right now. I am obsessed with symptoms and afraid to have people leave me home alone. Due to D/R, D/P..panic, akathesia mental and physical. Please help me. I can give you a general pic of times, symptoms, etc. Every day and night is a copy of the day before. New symptoms still coming. Old ones not leaving. 

You may any more info regarding my tapers over the years. I have been on multiple meds/all classes. 

Edited by Shep
Paragraphs (Carmie), updated new username in title (Shep)

Cymbalta 60 mg Started August 2016. 

Started Taper June 2017 - August 2017

Lithium  March 2017 - April 2017 

Lithium June 2017 - December 2017

Fluoxetine 10mg (?) maybe (5mg) August 2017-October 2018

Sertraline 50mg Oct 2018 - December 23/2018

Diazepam 2 mg started 3/24/19 bumped to 4mg a couple days later

Diazepam 4mg dropped to 3mg 4/9/19 by hospital inpatient. I had no choice.

Diazepam 3mg bumped up to 4mg on 5/2/19

5/11/19 straight crossover to liquid Diazepam 2mg @ 8:30am, 2mg @ 8:30pm

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BeWell

• Altostrata

• Shep

• ChessieCat

Top Posters In This Topic

I also had started as stopped lithium twice in 2017. Ending 12/2017

I take 1 mg of Valium at 8:30am and 2mg of Valium at 8:30PM. Wicked symptoms around the clock. I have 0 windows or times when I feel ok. I feel I am getting sicker and sicker.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Berta: AD taper
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi B, 

Welcome to SA. I’m sorry you’re struggling so much. It certainly looks like you’re going through withdrawals from going on and off so many meds. You’ve made quite a lot of changes. I’ve been put and off all sorts of meds myself, it all started because of chronic pain. Fortunately I’m only on one medication now

Coming off 50mg of Sertraline in 5 weeks was certainly really fast. What date did you stop it?

Firstly, could you please put in a drug signature. Just go to the Read This First section and go to the thread entitled “Please Put Your Withdrawal History In Your Signature.” Could you put dates next to the meds you’ve taken. We only really need the last two years. Thanks a lot. 

Could you please do a daily symptoms log as well. This is an example:

6 a.m. Woke with anxiety. 

8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro.

10 a.m. Stomach is upset. 

10.30 a.m. Ate breakfast.

11.35 a.m. Got headache. 

12.30 p.m. Ate lunch. 

4 p.m. Feel a bit better.

5 p.m. Took 2.5mg of Lexaoro.

6 p.m. Ate dinner. 

9.20 p.m. Got headache. 

10 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel.

10.20 p.m. Got dizzy. 

10. 30 p.m. Fell asleep.

2.30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien. 

2.45 a.m. Fell asleep. 

4.30 a.m. Woke up, but fell back asleep. 

Please do not start tapering the Valium as yet, your body will need more time to stabilise. When you eventually do taper, taper by no more than 10% a month. For now though, please hold. 

Is Valium the only medication you’re on now? Are you on any other medications or supplements?

Please let us know how you’re doing. 

Sending hugs🤗

P.s. I’ll get someone to change your name. I can’t do it from my tablet. 

Edited by Carmie
P.s.

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

I am only on the Valium. There are no other medications or supplements.

12/23/18 was my last dose of Sertraline. I am on the generic Valium. Do you need me to use it’s generic name here on SA?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, BeWell.

Welcome to SA.

On 4/22/2019 at 3:41 PM, BeWell said:

I also started Valium 4 mg almost 4 weeks ago. My doctor thought this would possibly calm me down. The hospital took me down to 3mg Valium 2 weeks ago today.

Have you ever been on Valium or any other benzodiazepine in the past or is this last month your only exposure to a benzo? 

Did the Valium help at all with your SSRI withdrawal? 

I am 4 months off SSRI’s..too late for reinstatement I believe. I see my doctor Wednesday to discuss the Disc of Valium and taper.

Four months may not be too late for a reinstatement. This thread will give you an idea of how reinstatements work. 

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms 

And this thread will show you how to get to those really low doses that you would want to use for a reinstatement. 

Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline)

Please add a signature.  Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 

• Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Once we have a complete history in your signature and you have a chance to read over the links, we can talk through whether or not you think a reinstatement will be helpful. 

On 4/22/2019 at 12:41 PM, Berta said:

I am in a world of hurt with SSRI withdrawals. I would like to change my username. However, my cognitive functioning is not well. I do not want to use my real name. 

I have been on multiple meds since around age 18. I am almost 46. Multiple changes over the years. 4 years ago I was poly drugged. Multiple changes during that time.

June of 2017 I started tapering off of 60mg of Cymbalta.

August 2017 I switched to liquid generic Prozac to finish my taper. I got stuck. I tapered gradually on and off 8/17 to 8/18. I was down to 4mg. Liquid 1 ml or so. I tried TMS - made tiny cuts - had multiple life changes. I lost my mind. I tried updosing per Psychiatrist..where I had recd TMS. We may have gotten up to 1.4 ml’s. I waited about three weeks.

Checked myself into mental hospital after that. I Felt If I could get to a therapeutic dose of SSRI I would get better. (At the suggestion of my sister and her husband). Hospital moved my Prozac dose to 10mg tablet for a day. Stopped it. Started 25 mg of Sertraline.

Five days later they moved me to 50mg of Sertraline. This happened the beginning of Oct. 2018. I was not getting well. The burning in my feet was still almost unbearable. I held for maybe 5 weeks at this.

I went back to my regular dr..who seemed somewhat knowledgeable regarding w/d’s due to his own personal experience. We tapered me off 50 mg of Sertraline in 5 weeks. Last 6mg (or so) dose was 12/23. I thought I could beat the w/d’s. So did my doctor apparently. He thought the first 4-6 weeks would be the hardest. It’s a very long upsetting story. I got out of the mental hospital a week ago. My daughters and friend had advised this. Due to strong suicidal ideation, depression, agitation, akathesia, intrusive thoughts, etc. The list is endless with my physical and mental symptoms. I checked myself out of there because they did not believe in my story of withdrawals. And wanted to add an antipsychotic “Latuda”. I did not.

I am also a recovering alcoholic of 9 years. I am using nicotine gum 5-10 times a day. I was smoking 1 1/2 packs of cigarettes a day. I have 0 ability of functioning right now. I am obsessed with symptoms and afraid to have people leave me home alone. Due to D/R, D/P..panic, akathesia mental and physical. Please help me. I can give you a general pic of times, symptoms, etc. Every day and night is a copy of the day before. New symptoms still coming. Old ones not leaving. 

You may any more info regarding my tapers over the years. I have been on multiple meds/all classes. 

I am still trying to figure out how to use this site. I used Valium very briefly in small amounts about 7 years ago due to panic attacks. Maybe it was during med changes. I do not recall any withdrawal.

I used Zanax (Benzo - correct spelling?) Summer 2008 - Winter 2009 for a break-up. I was also abusing alcohol at this time. And using other drugs. I didn’t use them daily. And sometimes not at all. I then started to abuse them and had to be tapered off of them. I did this with alcohol. I was close to going into treatment at that time. The only thing I remember about w/d then was my heart beating out of my chest. I have been clean and sober since 2/14/10. 

My doctor thought we could somehow get me stabilized on Valium..and then start a slow taper..which sounds like it will be no walk in the park either. I am not sure if it is helping or not. It’s the only thing I look forward to is taking that Valium. However, this am..I feel like my relief was 20 minutes..maybe. 

I know I have some homework to do. I’ve got med changes coming from my doctors office via the mail in a day or two. 

• Administrator

Welcome, BeWell.

Please keep notes as Carmie requested. What are the times of  day you take Valium, at what dosages? We need to see your symptom pattern. When do you feel better? When do you feel worse? How do you feel worse?

It's very important that you keep a consistent drug schedule so we can sort out what's happening. Making changes in the drug confounds your symptom pattern. What drug changes are you expecting from your doctor?

Your doctor sounds like he will work with you. His plan for the Valium is not a bad plan.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I kept some notes a few days ago. I take 1mg of Valium @ 8:30AM. I take 2mg of Valium at 8:30PM. I have been in bed for months. I am unable to feed, water and bathe myself. Although, I have to. It doesn’t happen very often though. I feel traumatized. I do not think there is a time of day I feel better to be honest, just different symptoms to battle. I look forward to the dark. Only slightly though..because I know the terror the night and morning and next day will hold. I sleep maybe an hour or two..and the last few nights I am able to go back to sleep..although the panic, night terrors, physical pain, tight chest, tinnitus, extreme body pain, flushing or hot flashes spring me right out of bed to the bathroom. I must say 2am or 3am or 4am on..can be very debilitating..because the panic and cortisol spikes have started. I could write a book on a 24 hour period of physical and mental symptoms alone. I do not like waking up..ever..it is a painful reality. And my memory is really bad. The other morning I tried crawling out of bed..I was able to go back to the 1/2 asleep, 1/2 awake game. Walked to the kitchen to take my am med..and realized I had already done that. I will try to keep some notes tomorrow to transfer. However, I have been saying that for days. I can not seem to follow through with anything. I need the support but for some reason am unwilling to do what is necessary to help myself.

• Moderator Emeritus

I know you're struggling, BeWell, but we really need a signature. The moderators need to know your history easily so we give the correct tapering information.

The first post in this thread will show you exactly how to do this and it gives an example.

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

And here is a direct link to your signature.

Create Your Signature in "Account Settings"

Did you not find the signature? I created it last night..it took awhile. How do I go directly to my thread?

@Shep Did you find the drug signature? 

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, thank you, your signature is showing. 

But what does this mean?

Diazepam 2 mg to 4 mg to 3mg  Started March 24, 19 to current 

When did you go from 4 mg to 3 mg diazepam? 

This is from the PM you sent:

On 5/1/2019 at 1:47 AM, BeWell said:

Prior to the signature I tapered off of Gabapentin 1200 mg, Seroquel 25mg, Lamotrigine 150mg (adverse reaction), Lexapro 10mg, Fluvoxamine 50mg, Celexa for a week, Well - butrin. All w/in a year maybe. The Gabapentin took the longest. I was poly drugged by a Psychiatrist. I went back to my regular doctor to clean up the mess. But, we made many errors. I used melatonin and Hydroxyzine in the later part of 2018 as well. I need help. Prior to the above..I had been on the other well-butrin and citalopram for years. Prior to that Lexapro, Paxil, Prozac briefly. I believe I have been on medications since around age 18. Maybe 20

Please add in ALL of your drugs. When were you on Gabapentin, Seroquel, lamotrigine, lexapro, etc.? 

Please add in all your drugs. 

@ShepThe hospital - took me from 4mg to 3mg. I had to voluntary sign myself in to the Psych unit due to strong suicidal ideation. They did not believe in my “withdrawal story” and wanted to take me off the Valium rapidly. I had no choice. This 4mg to 3mg drop was done on 4/9/19 by the Psych Unit. I was there a week.

I have not stabilized whatsoever from my CT failed Prozac Taper to Intro of 25mg to 50mg of Zoloft (done by another Psych Hospital) in Oct. of 2018. My Dr. and on the outside tapered off of that rapidly because I was so ill and we had no idea it would continue to worsen. As it still is. I saw my Dr. yesterday he would like me to increase to 10mg of Valium to see if I can stabilize. I am waiting on your instructions. He also wanted to re-instate the SSRI. Or attest gave me that option.

Or to try another one. I have been off over 4 months of the SSRI. With all my reading here, it doesn’t sound like I can just add that back in. If I could, would it be the liquid Prozac or the Sertraline? What is advised for me? I am disabled physically and mentally due to horrific withdrawals. I would say atleast 20 debilitating symptoms.

I just saw your note regarding all my other meds. My records are from 2 places. My regular doctors office and the Psychiatrist office. I had a time in my life where I left my doctor seeking help with a Psychiatrist. Then back to my regular GP who has a hos own “Benzo W/D” story to help me get well. I know the Gabapentin ended in 7/16. The Lamictal ended in 2015. Long story there. I had a terrible reaction to it. The Luvox ended in 2016 after the Gabapentin. The seroquel ended I believe in 2016 as well. The Lexapro (that round) ended in 2015. It is such a jumbled mess from 2 clinics it is pathetic. My GP has been trying to clean up the Poly Drug Mess of 2013.

I believe that is the year. I have no idea how to make these records clear. I have PTSD to even call the Psychiatrist office where I was poly drugged and had therapy there for 4.5 years. I had TMS treatment there July and August 2018. We had tried to updose my “just below” 4 mg of Prozac. I quit the TMS  after 20 sessions..because my nervous system started completely freaking out. I had major life stressors, the Prozac decreases gone bad, then the rapid change to Zoloft and then off the Zoloft.

I have years and years of drug changes. Done by GP,  Psychiatry and my own ignorance. Please advise. Do I somehow need to get better records? It’s just me. I do not have anyone to help me. I live with 80 year old dad. My daughters are trying to live their life and babysit me here and there when they can (keep me company). Maybe TMI..just feeling so desperate. This storm has been brewing awhile with the meds..at least 4-5 years. I had a terrible experience with the lamictal. 

What do we do? Try to re-instate SSRI at 4 months? Updose the Valium to 10mg? I almost started last night..but thought I better wait. My GP and I have been trying on our own for a long time to help me. I am his worst patient he has seen trying to get off of the SSRI. My 19 year old daughter jumped off her Zoloft in 9/2018. She had done some decreasing from 2/2018 on. She is having issues. She doesn’t believe from W/D’s. I know very different..

The bottom line is I need help to stabilize. My fear is my nightmare is only getting worse..

Edited by Shep
added spacing

@Shep I tapered off the seroquel in 2016 as well. Summertime I believe. I had started that in 2015 I believe.

• Moderator Emeritus
7 minutes ago, BeWell said:

This 4mg to 3mg drop was done on 4/9/19 by the Psych Unit. I was there a week.

It would be safe to go back up to 4 mg because it's been less than a month since your reduction. 

You may want to try only 3.5 mg and see how you do. If it helps, you can increase to 4 mg. Your nervous system may be more sensitive now, so 3.5 mg may be enough.

Some information on updosing:

Updosing - Benzosupport.org

Please post your thoughts on this.

Please update your signature to reflect the other drugs you've been on. A direct link is here:

Create Your Signature in "Account Settings"

Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years, so that will simply things. 

I have no idea how to make 3.5 mg. I can cut the 2mg pill twice?  I now have a new RX of 5 mg each tablets. Ugh. So getting the 2mg’s refilled will be impossible. I am cognitively unable to learn to make a liquid right now. So..I can cut the 2mg in 1/2 and then 1/2 the 1/2 for 1.5mg for the morning dose. I take 2mg at night. Now..it seems I am in a bigger mess. I. D.o.n.t know how many 2mg tablets I have left. I should have not filled that..but..we did.  I can try to re-vise drug sig..I have drugs back to age 18. I am 46 now. There is lo way to track down all those records. I am completely freaking out. Especially with the fact that I just filled the 5mg RX. My dad is holding my med. What the heck do I do now? Sorry..I am panicking. I appreciate all your help. Just struggling to calm down always. I take my am dose in an hour. I wish my brain worked regarding the med yesterday evening. We filled it..with no thought that maybe 5mg twice a day was going to be too much....ugh....now what do I do????

@shep - see above post please. Plus there is not enough lines in withdrawal sig for nearly 25 + years of meds. Rough time of day for me. I am in panic mode 24/7. 

@Shep I read the updosing article. The Valium was added because of a terrible fast taper and CT of Two SSRI’s. In OCT - 2018 Prozac ended at 10mg (done by hospital). Zoloft ended at 7mg Dec 23, 2018. I don’t know if the Valium has added any relief to W/D’s. Considering the wicked w/d’s I am experiencing. My doctor was trying to be conservative I guess. Please advise.

@Shep@Altostrata@Carmie Please review my threads. Drug history. I am in a mess. And hanging on by a thread. And of course feel like I am not going to make it to stabilization. At 4 months off..it’s probably too late for a re-in statement I am sure. Plus..what drug would it be? I know you can only re-send the article re/ re-instatement..but any advice would be greatly appreciated. Now..I have this new problem re/ the 5mg Valium RX that was picked up from the pharmacist. 

@ShepI had to take my morning med..went with 2mg. My dad I are trying so hard to figure this out. I am exhausted from W/D’s and lack of sleep, etc. Hopefully, this will not be too much for me. This was a 1mg increase. I have enough for two weeks at 4mg total. Then I have 5 mg tablets. My doctor wanted me to go up to 10 mg total. This is of the Valium. This will bring me back up to 4mg vs 3mg which the hospital had done. My arms are full of anxiety. And my feet are burning. Plus many more symptoms. I still would appreciate your thoughts and any thoughts on reinstatement of SSRI. It’s been over 4 months though since fast taper of Zoloft. And CT of Prozac. My body wants to fall asleep but it keeps “jerking awake”. Looking for support..

• Moderator Emeritus
21 hours ago, BeWell said:

I have no idea how to make 3.5 mg. I can cut the 2mg pill twice?

Yes, you can cut the pill. Cutting a 2 mg pill into four pieces gives you four .5 mg pieces. 

Take a full 2 mg pill along with 3 of the four cut pieces for a total of 3.5 mg. 

I now have a new RX of 5 mg each tablets.

You can cut the 5 mg tablet into four pieces of 1.25 mg each. Take three of those pieces for a total of 3.75 mg, so if you have a lot more of the 5 mg pieces, you could updose to 3.75 mg. 

Or you can use a scale or use liquid.

Plus there is not enough lines in withdrawal sig for nearly 25 + years of meds.

Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years, so that will simply things. You can list drug categories, as well (i.e. SSRIs, benzos, antipsychotics, etc. for "x" number of years).

19 hours ago, BeWell said:

I still would appreciate your thoughts and any thoughts on reinstatement of SSRI. It’s been over 4 months though since fast taper of Zoloft. And CT of Prozac.

Please see the below for information on reinstatements: 

On 4/25/2019 at 6:52 PM, Shep said:

Four months may not be too late for a reinstatement. This thread will give you an idea of how reinstatements work. 

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms 

And this thread will show you how to get to those really low doses that you would want to use for a reinstatement. 

Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline)

I went back to my regular dr..who seemed somewhat knowledgeable regarding w/d’s due to his own personal experience. We tapered me off 50 mg of Sertraline in 5 weeks. Last 6mg (or so) dose was 12/23.

This is your taper history for Zoloft. You may want to try a very small reinstatement of 1 or 2 mg to see how you do. 

HOWEVER, please do not updose the Valium at the same time you reinstate the Zoloft. Let's give the Valium updose a few days at least to see how you do.

We really do need a drug and symptoms journal to give you better advice. Please go ahead and start posting one.

On 9/27/2016 at 2:49 PM, Altostrata said:

In the course of discussion in your Introductions forum topic, you may be asked to keep notes on paper of your daily symptom pattern, including when you take your drugs, their dosages, and any symptoms. We ask this because there may be something we can do to reduce the symptoms.

What we need to see for every single day over several days is what symptoms you get before and after you take your drugs. If you're not taking any drugs and have withdrawal symptoms, we still need to see your symptom pattern throughout the day:

The time of day, dosage, and severity of symptoms are essential information. Include

- Time and dosage for all drugs taken throughout the day, psychiatric and non-psychiatric.

- Following each dose, note any symptoms. If you are having a reaction to the drug, it may take hours for a symptom to show up -- that's why we ask you to keep notes all day long.

- If you're not taking any drugs, your symptoms throughout the day.

- Your sleep pattern. Since so many drugs disturb sleep, if you find you're waking in the middle of the night, it could be from a drug you took earlier in the evening. If you're not taking any drugs, there may be ways you can improve your sleep.

And so forth. A diary, in chronological order, looking something like this:

6 a.m. Woke with anxiety
8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
10 a.m. Stomach is upset
10:30 a.m. Ate breakfast
11:35 a.m. Got a headache, lasted one hour
12:35 p.m. Ate lunch
4 p.m. Feel a bit better
5 p.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
6 p.m. Ate dinner
9:20 p.m. Headache
10:00 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel
10:20 p.m. Feeling dizzy
10:30 p.m. Fell asleep
2:30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien (NOT "took 1/2 tablet Ambien")
2:45 a.m. Fell asleep
4:30 a.m. Woke but got back to sleep

@shep Did you see I went back up to 4mg total yesterday? I got very confused. Ok to drop to the 3.75mg today and maybe try to have my meds three times a day? If I can cognitively figure this out? I hope you see this before I do no longer hear back from you.

@shep struggling with the usage of the site still. Maybe because I use it from my cell phone only? Or withdrawals. Not sure. But, struggling with all tasks. Or should I stay back on the 4mg I started yesterday. Even though it hat will only get me 2 weeks. Did you see my doctor wanted to go to 10mg total? I can not get my nervous system to settle down for the life of me. Insomnia very bad as well, physical pain, and on and on and on..

@ShepI take meds at 8:30am and 8:30pm. So..if I use the 5mg pieces to make doses..I would need to add in another time? What time? I took 4mg yesterday. Ok to go to the  3.75mg today? I hope you see this message. I am in a panic. Which seems to be around the clock. And repeat myself and keep asking things over and over. So..we will look into this and then maybe a re-instatment? Is this site easier to use with a computer? I do not have one. Hard to operate from cell phone only. With my current w/d status brain.

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, please stay with the 4 mg. I posted what I did because I was concerned you didn't have enough of the 2 mg pills, but if you do, that's fine. I would not go up to 10 mg. See how you do on the lower dose. You can always increase later. 

You can also use a scale or do a liquid preparation to get to the 4 mg dose, no matter what size pills you have. Please see the links I left in my previous post about this. 

There's no need to dose Valium more than twice a day. Many people only take it once a day, since Valium has a half life of up to 200 hours (8 days), so you're fine where you're at with twice a day. 

Yes, you are correct - the site is easier to navigate on a computer than a phone. Do you have a friend with a computer, or your husband or other relative that you could borrow a laptop from until you can gather some information? If not, you should be able to read the links on the site and gather information together. Many people on the forum are using phones. 

Once you start your drug and symptoms, journal, we can better help you. That's the important thing, not the technology. 

Here are some links to help with the non-stop panic.

Dr. Claire Weekes - How To Recover From Anxiety

Please note that a lot of what you're experiencing is actually what's called "second fear".  This is a great short video on acceptance without adding "second fear":

Dr. Claire Weekes: How to accept the physical symptoms of nervous illness video (1.5 minutes)

And you can find loads more out there on YouTube by googling Dr. Claire Weekes. 

The "second fear" is the thoughts we attached to the physical sensations of panic. If you can simply let the feelings, as uncomfortable as they are, wash over you without letting your thoughts go into panic mode, you can do a lot to help calm down. 

There are also breathing techniques that can be helpful, such as the 4-7-8 breathing technique. 

4-7-8 Breathing Exercise by GoZen video (3.5 minutes)

Are you able to watch videos on your phone? If not, please let us know and we can find alternatives to give you, such as articles you can read from your phone. 

@Shep I replied to two of your messages via email. I have no idea if those go anywhere. I feel like my mind is on speed and my body hurts so bad. I have only 2 weeks left of the 2mg pills. I had no desire to try to figure out how to make a liquid, etc.  PTSD from my Prozac taper. And cognitive decline and confusion and memory issues. This nigtmare started with my last taper attempt of 6/17 finger off the Cymbalta..that’s where the Prozac came from, the Zoloft, and now the Valium. 20 meds before that. I have no spouse and no WiFi even if I could borrow a computer. I live with my dad..who is holding my meds. No spouse. Feel a terrified and hopeless. Ive got one friend to talk to on phone - she is ill too. Not into social media. I am a big isolator. Left 12 step stuff again - due to w/d. Two daughters I get to hang out with here and there. Love and adore them. However, I am so disconnected from self and disassociated/ d/p, d/r...etc......”flat”....Thank you for your help, I will stick with the 2mg and go from there. Just don’t feel like I am going to make it out of this alive..ugh..just want to nap, relax body and mind, and wake up feeling better...

I have tried all the recommended videos/ reading. Distractions. My W/D’s are severe. AKA - physical and mental, Insomnia. Major Depression. Then the feelings of “nothingnes”. Dystonia in right foot and moving up. Nerve, joint, tissue pain. Cortisol rushes. Adrenaline, etc. Valium is not touching SSRI w/d’s. Do I re-instate? Or not? I sleep 1/2 way for about 3-4 hours. That’s it. I can’t eat. I am climbing walls. Body always has to be moving/ rocking. Daily pattern of symptom list too long. Prescribed drug records to messy and broken from two places. I’ve been damaged. Please can someone help me. I am in the fight of my life.

D/R, D/P, Brain Fog..it goes on and on and on. I slept from 11:00 PM - 3:00 PM on and off. Now just dealing with physical pain, tinnitus, hyperacusis, AKA, moving, intrusive thoughts, dark thoughts, need relief. I have not had one moment of relaxation in months. Pain has now spread to arms and back. I need relief...

Oops..3am..

It’s very hard to help oneself from the fetal position..

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Bewell, I'm sorry you're having such a hard time.  When I crashed with severe akathisia and anxiety I found relaxation exercises very helpful for calming down my system .  We have a topic here with some good links:  Relaxation exercises, guided meditations, calming videos, sleep hypnosis.  I found the David Swenson "Just Relax" video was very effective - I was doing it three times a day - there's a link to it on page 2 of the topic.  I also had severe insomnia (didn't sleep at all for a whole week) and found using a sleep hypnosis CD helped me to get some sleep.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

Thanks. I have severe tinnitus and everything is really loud and upsetting. Did you have the physical AKA as well? I am climbing walls. I have not slept decent or relaxed for 1 sec in months..so out of my mind and body I can’t not even see straight. 

@ Shep @ Alostrata @ Slept 11:30ish to 3am. 1/2 way Severe agitation and Akathisia in my bed. No distraction working. Out of my mind. Pacing. Pushing buttons. Lights on. Lights off. Banging fists into bed. Rocking.  I really wish I knew if it is too late to re-Instate. SSRI? Zoloft or Prozac. Got low on Prozac taper in August. Or it caught up with me. CT’d Prozac by Hospitak - thrown on Zoloft. 4-5 weeks. Quick taper off Zoloft 5 weeks. I was very ill w/ w/d’s. I didn’t understand. Nor did my Dr. even though I had difficult tapers in the past. Gabapentin being oneZ Cymbalta being one...bridged to Prozac. Got stuck. Got sick. Didn’t know why. Now I know why. The question is ..I feel like my life depends on getting stable. And I continue to get worse with W/D’s. And AKA and severe day and night symptoms around the clock. Please advise. My daily symptom log is 2mg Valium 8:30am ..2mg Valium 8:30PM. No nicotine gum. Quit smoking about three ago. Agitation, aka and severe mental and physical w/d’s were already present. From lack of sugar? I can’t eat, sleep, function, relax. Is there anything I can do. AKA seems to be worsening. Leg jerked real bad this am. Lucid dream before falling asleep for 1 sec. 

With nic gum..correction. I need help. This has gone on too long.