BeWell: AD taper

BeWell

@Shep@Carmie Does anyone have an idea if I should re-instate? I am over 4 months now and continue getting worse with physical and mental symptoms.

Leg pain

Arm pain

Nerve pain

dystonia right foot since Jan. Spreading to hand

muscle spasms

headaches

chills

hotflushes

vision issues

tinnutis - Severe 

hyperacusis - all in and outdoor sounds

sensitivity to motion 

d/p, d/r, brain fog

irrational thoughts/fears x1000

no appetite - large weight loss

Insomnia

Fear of being alone

disassociated

heart palls/ racing/ tight chest

cortisol rushes

joint pain

fear of impending doom

numb

depression x1000

Severe AKA/ anxiety

pace bedroom and house

fear of outside

fear of shower

threw myself on floor this am - weak - AKATHISIA most likely

Strong suicidal thoughts/ agitation - daily

Complete inability to sit/ lay still - all night all day 

Itchy nose and head and other body parts

muscle pain

nighmares

vivid/ lucid/ hallucinations - dreams before asleep 

Ear pain

Sleep maybe 3-4 hours a night x 2-3 months

Will not leave house unless to ride with my dad

I was this bad before Valium. I wish my dr and I had known what to do @ week 1, 2, 3, 4 etc off ....

I haven't been able to wear shoes is 4 months due to neuropathy.

More symptoms of course. 24/7 is a struggle. There is no set pattern. I am in fetal position daily. Or rocking. All functioning as stopped. 

8:30 Am 2mg Valium 8:30pm 2mg of Valium

Please see above notes/ threads

Cymbalta 60 mg Started August 2016. 

Started Taper June 2017 - August 2017

Lithium  March 2017 - April 2017 

Lithium June 2017 - December 2017

Fluoxetine 10mg (?) maybe (5mg) August 2017-October 2018

Sertraline 50mg Oct 2018 - December 23/2018

Diazepam 2 mg started 3/24/19 bumped to 4mg a couple days later

Diazepam 4mg dropped to 3mg 4/9/19 by hospital inpatient. I had no choice.

Diazepam 3mg bumped up to 4mg on 5/2/19

5/11/19 straight crossover to liquid Diazepam 2mg @ 8:30am, 2mg @ 8:30pm

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BeWell

• Altostrata

• Shep

• ChessieCat

Top Posters In This Topic

Burning Feet.And joints. Traveling pain. Pain also now full arms and back..higher not just lower..

• Moderator Emeritus
13 hours ago, BeWell said:

Did you have the physical AKA as well? 

Yes, I basically paced around the house and deck all day and night.  My feet got sore and swollen and I could no longer wear normal shoes.  I managed to break the cycle by doing the "Just Relax" video three times a day.  I found it better than other relaxation exercises because it starts with movement.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

@Songbird TY. Pls let me know if there is any other suggestions you have for me. Especially re/reinstatement. I am in so much physical pain.

• Moderator Emeritus

BeWell, if you go back through your thread, you'll find the SSRI reinstatement information has been provided at least twice. 

I mentioned a 1 or 2 mg Zoloft reinstatement and provided links to using a scale and making a liquid. 

However, I believe you were waiting to see if the Valium updose will be helpful. 

Are you still at 4 mg Valium? How long have you ben at 4 mg? (your signature doesn't reflect your updose to 4 mg). 

Are you able to take epsom salt baths for pain? 

@Shep@AltostrataI am still unclear about re-instatement. I have dystonia in my foot and in my hands now and my hands. Feeling very disabled. I have severe akathesia - mental and physical. I was throwing stuff on Saturday and threw myself on the floor. I think a combo of Akathisia, Agitation and Panic. I have developed monophobia. Amongst other things. And I was home alone. It was a long couple days of - the hospital talk again. The suicidal thoughts and ideation is still very high. The 4 mg total of Valium was started again on 5/2/19. I was not able to find my drug sig - cognitively. This is not like me - none of it. My attempt at daily notes.

Last night 5/6 Slept off and on 12-5:45 am. several wake ups, nightmares, severe body pain. 

Lain in bed with dystonia right foot, right hand, left hand as well - not as bad. My hands are always making fists. Nerve pain, muscle pain, joints, impossible to keep hands, legs still. Burning, tingling hands, feet, calves, muscle spasms everywhere. 

Cortisol rushes. Extreme Depression.

6:45 am - string urge to take a bm. Slightly constipated - light yellow lose stool. Partially floating. Maybe TMI but I have gut issues. And have for atleast 5 months. Extremely loud stomach. Burping air all day and painful gas.

8:30am 2mg of Valium w/ breakfast (new for me). I have lost a lot of weight. Tight chest, weak, hard to sit up. Feel “flat”, numb, 

9am - extreme chills

9:45 am - bm - a little darker - but still not right

reading threads on SA - new addiction, feet burning, freezing, feeling “nothingness”. No desire to get up. Major fatigue

1pm - 2pm major text crisis to friend re/ my situation - I always do this - I have 0 ability to help myself calm down and feel safe. 

Ride to store with dad - extremely hard. I don’t drive my car anymore, or go anywhere if I can help it. Too overstimulating and sounds and movement and lights and people are too much for me. Even with ear plugs. And upsets the AKA. And the newer symptoms of hands. I am embarrassed, ashamed and very upset. And I can’t stand still. Hands or arms.

3:45pm forced myself to sit on deck alone. Hard because I don’t sit still. M

Took my first 400mg vit D. I am deficient. Hospital three weeks ago was giving it to me - I had no choice. Not sure if I re-acted or not - no way to know with endless symptoms. Chest hurt a great deal in store. Numb, flat, disc. No conversation with dad. Poor guy. I am just not nice at all. Too trapped in my painful head and body. Forced three meals today. And a shake. Big deal for Me!!! I have food paranoia. And do not function with tasks.

4pm or so - maybe 5- passed out for toxic nap. Hallucination naps, tremors, sweating, major fatigue, cortisol, body very ill to try to get upright, wanted to scream for my dad because I felt like I was dying. Extreme pain, hands seem to be getting worse. Burning, cramping, making fists, always going up to face. To lay on or tuck between legs. Or when on feet..I have to skip them down my sweats on my hips. Or massage my back or legs or whatever. Tons of hot flushes in night. AM. Toxic nap. And then chills when I use the rest room. 

6:30 dinner friend sent.

7:30 got clean after 6 days (gross). Fear of bath, shower, etc. - water - sound - movement and inability to sit or stand still. Friend said she would be on speaker phone if need be. Usually bathe if daughter comes by. 

8:30PM 2 mg Valium - 

Addicted to phone. Inability to feel safe/ relaxed/ just chill/ my personality is non - existent now. Unable to sit with dad at night because his tv is too big and bright. So..I isolate in my room. I have a cat. That’s good. Dread night time. Some nights are only a couple few hours of sleep. I’ve been ill for a long time. If the physical would let up - maybe I would have a chance to fight better. Feel broken - permanently and not coping well. And my life has 0 purpose right now except to survive the day. Family really wants to put me in the hospital for food and safety. They there has got to be something to help me - bring me back to them. I haven’t tried the salt bath in awhile. Not the simplest symptom note..but, I tried. Very, very upset about the dystonia. My doctor Should have known we needed to re-instate. I should have known. I am still in the very angry stage. And obsessed w/symptoms. How could I not be? I have not had one break...

@Shep@Altostrata I apologize for repeating myself often. And repeating words. It started after the Prozac taper, TMS, CT Prozac, on to Zoloft, off the Zoloft. And major life changes. Many, many drugs start and stops and cocktails, and switches. Hard to know exactky where the damage came from. I am very upset about all of the symptoms. Very upset. The dystonia in my foot started before we introduced Valium. The hand too..I just didn’t realize it at the time..what was happening. Why I woke up squeezing a cotton ball that had been in my ear. The AKA - mental and physical started before the Valium as well. But they seem to be getting worse..and it feels very, very permanent. I feel like I am suffering Two or Three brain injuries. The drugs, The TMS, and some PTSD. Just want my body back. I am completely devastated. And now stuck on a benzo. All because I wanted my feet to stop burning and my Doctor thought my problems were 90% drug induced. I have more problems now than I ever had. I have lost all functioning. Everything has been taken from me. It’s an angry night. I keep getting sicker and sicker, more upset and more deformed. What should I do?

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, BeWell said:

3:45pm forced myself to sit on deck alone. Hard because I don’t sit still. M

Took my first 400mg vit D. I am deficient.

Sitting out on the deck during the day is likely to bring you vitamin D (especially if it's sunny). Be careful of taking vitamin D especially so late in the day, as some people find it stimulating and can affect your sleep.

Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol or calcitriol)

I haven’t tried the salt bath in awhile.

I would give this a try. Epsom salts contain magnesium, so you may want to try only 1/2 - 1 cup at first to see how you handle the magnesium. 

8:30am 2mg of Valium w/ breakfast (new for me). I have lost a lot of weight.

Some of your symptoms may be coming from low blood sugar from not eating. Try to eat several small meals and snacks every day, foods that are high in protein and low in sugar. This will help with blood sugar drops that happen not only from not eating, but also because a lot of people report these kinds of unpredictable drops in blood sugar due to withdrawal. 

I am still unclear about re-instatement.

Please post your questions so we can help you sort it out.

@Altostrata@ShepNot sure if the vit d was a good idea. Up all night..not unusual though. Severe flushing, severe dystonia of both hands, back, arms. This is terrifying me. Maybe got an hour and a 1/2. Woke up with hands in fists digging into mattress. All wrapped up around head. Painful. Mentally and physically and emotionally. Hands are always folding into fists. Woke up from 1/2 sleep..nightmares several times with severe dystonia, I will look into bath stuff - but unable to sit still and emerge into water so not sure how that will work. I am unclear on re-in statement because I am getting more disabled with the dystonia and Akathisia. I read that once a movement disorder starts - it could be very dangerous. Woke up the night before last with hands folded. It is painful. The burning, stinging and hands folding into “paws” or fists. I was hoping Alto could weigh in on Dystonia as well re/ if re - in statement would be more dangerous at this point. I’ve read the articles. And trouble trusting in my ability to decide. It’s been well over 4 months. I appreciate your help so much. I have to constantly move feet and hands, legs and arms if on feet or in bed. I will try to get some protein going today. Should I cut out sugar from fruit as well? Cut it out from the Insure? Having a heavy chest right now. Stress. Anxiety. Worry. Cortisol. I. D.o.n.t want to be disabled. 

@Shep Dystonia in foot as well. But, why is it getting worse...and spreading to upper body now. Thousands of muscle spasms these days. 

@Shep Could my problems be from quitting smoking a few weeks ago? The nic gum I chew now? The sugar free gum that has small traces of aspartame? I bought some no aspartame gum online. Not sure if it’s helping. I do the nic gum 5-10 times a day max. Probably don’t even leave it in very long. Woke up with shoulders to ears and panic multiple times in the night. My upper body hurts so bad right now. And lower. Shoulders burning and heart beating out of chest all the time. Sorry for multiple messages. It’s panic mode time. Plus 2.5 hours away from Valium. And horrible sleep and very upset about new handicaps.My gosh. Hospital and Dr’s office says my blood pressure is a good low..whatever that means..

Help for severe dystonia?

• Moderator Emeritus
22 hours ago, BeWell said:

Not sure if the vit d was a good idea. Up all night..not unusual though. Severe flushing, severe dystonia of both hands, back, arms.

If the vitamin D is causing an uptick in symptoms, you may want to stop taking it. Instead, try to get a 15 - 30 minute walk outside in the sun every day, as you are able. 

Or simply sitting outside for a few minutes each day can be helpful for getting some vitamin D.

I will try to get some protein going today. Should I cut out sugar from fruit as well? Cut it out from the Insure?

I looked up the ingredients in Insure and sugar is the third ingredient. It also has a lot of vitamins that may be stimulating, such as B vitamins. 

Are you able to make smoothies? You may want to make your own version of a health drink using plain yogurt and fruit and other healthy ingredients. You can find all sorts of recipes online that are quick and easy. 

I wouldn't worry as much about the sugar from fruit as from processed sugar. Fruit has fiber which helps slow the absorption of fructose, the main sugar in most fruits. So fruit is safe unless eaten in excess. 

I'm glad you're going to eat more protein. 

Please try these things - cutting out the vitamin D and Insure and eating protein - and let us know how you're doing.

This will help calm the nervous system and may help with your overall symptoms. 

I was hoping Alto could weigh in on Dystonia as well re/ if re - in statement would be more dangerous at this point. I’ve read the articles. And trouble trusting in my ability to decide. It’s been well over 4 months.

I truly wish we could give you a guarantee on this. The reason we suggest a reinstatement at such low amounts is so you can test how you will do. And if you feel worse, you can reduce and / or come off. 

You may want to try the dietary changes for a couple of days and see if that helps first. 

@ShepThank you for your replies. I am very ill. I see my Dr. today. I am almost out of 2mg pills for Valium. I do not have the mental clarity to figure out how to make my own liquid, etc. I have 5mg tablets. I know you sent the intructions which is not going to help me at this point. What do I do? Go up to to 5mg a day? Ask for a liquid from the doctor? I am currently on 4mg daily. Went from 2-4 to 4 to 3 to back to 4mg on top of severe AD w/d’s. Dystonia in arms, hands is severe. Please advise on meds. I continue to decline.

@Shep @Altostrata Please review my threads. I need to stabilize. I need help. I am loosing everything. 

• Administrator

Has taking 2mg Valium twice a day caused any change in your symptoms?

Will you have any problem refilling your prescription?

When was the last time you had liver and kidney function blood tests?

On 5/7/2019 at 6:06 AM, BeWell said:

@Shep Could my problems be from quitting smoking a few weeks ago? The nic gum I chew now? The sugar free gum that has small traces of aspartame? I bought some no aspartame gum online. Not sure if it’s helping. I do the nic gum 5-10 times a day max. Probably don’t even leave it in very long. Woke up with shoulders to ears and panic multiple times in the night. My upper body hurts so bad right now. And lower. Shoulders burning and heart beating out of chest all the time. Sorry for multiple messages. It’s panic mode time. Plus 2.5 hours away from Valium. And horrible sleep and very upset about new handicaps.My gosh. Hospital and Dr’s office says my blood pressure is a good low..whatever that means..

Are you still chewing this gum? Does a ramp up in your symptom intensity correspond to your use of this gum? Some people are very sensitive to aspartame and have terrible adverse reactions.

A friend's teenage daughter had a habit of chewing gum flavored with aspartame and was bedridden for months recovering from the adverse reaction. As I recall, she had severe back pain and extreme sensitivity to noise.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28198207

Nutr Neurosci. 2018 Jun;21(5):306-316. doi: 10.1080/1028415X.2017.1288340. Epub 2017 Feb 15.

Neurophysiological symptoms and aspartame: What is the connection?

Choudhary AK1, Lee YY1.

Abstract

Aspartame (α-aspartyl-l-phenylalanine-o-methyl ester), an artificial sweetener, has been linked to behavioral and cognitive problems. Possible neurophysiological symptoms include learning problems, headache, seizure, migraines, irritable moods, anxiety, depression, and insomnia. The consumption of aspartame, unlike dietary protein, can elevate the levels of phenylalanine and aspartic acid in the brain. These compounds can inhibit the synthesis and release of neurotransmitters, dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin, which are known regulators of neurophysiological activity. Aspartame acts as a chemical stressor by elevating plasma cortisol levels and causing the production of excess free radicals. High cortisol levels and excess free radicals may increase the brains vulnerability to oxidative stress which may have adverse effects on neurobehavioral health. We reviewed studies linking neurophysiological symptoms to aspartame usage and conclude that aspartame may be responsible for adverse neurobehavioral health outcomes. Aspartame consumption needs to be approached with caution due to the possible effects on neurobehavioral health. Whether aspartame and its metabolites are safe for general consumption is still debatable due to a lack of consistent data. More research evaluating the neurobehavioral effects of aspartame are required.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

@Altostrata I appreciate your response very much. My Dr. gave me a RX for Valium liquid. I am almost out of 2mg tablets and need to ditch the 5mg tablets. I do not think the Valium has done much to help. My friend thinks it has made me worse. The nicotine gum is not an issue then? The shoulder thing was happening while smoking over a pack a day. The dystonia in hands and twisting of body has worsened in the last couple weeks. Although, I chewed aspartame free for awhile and didn’t notice a difference. A week - almost out. I had to buy it online. Are liver and kidney tests part of a regular blood draw? My Dr. thinks my dystonia in feet, hands, etc is from poor nutrition. And has nothing to do w/ w/d. This did not start until after the AD meds were stopped. The foot first. The others gradually. Please read my thread. I am so very appreciative of your help and Sheps. Last night was filled with hand clenching, body twisting, pain, shoulders clenching, twisting my body, arms, and hands and legs all together. Unable to keep hands and legs still. I have severe Physical and mental AKA as well. O appetite. Currently my left hand is in a lot of pain. My symptoms are 24/7. I will see if I can notice a pattern with the gum. Nicotine, gum w/ aspartame, aspartame free gum from internet - almost out. And no $. Do you think I am worse from stopping smoking three weeks to a month ago? OCD very high. I am obsessed because I just want some physical and mental relief. I saw your video. I am so desperate for your help. I am a recovered alcoholic - 9 years and abused Benzos about 10 years ago. I am on a slippery slope. My dad holds my med. Switching to the liquid soon. I am unable to distract and “come down”. Please read my thread. My fist clenching is always going up to my face, head, massaging back, etc. Obsessing making my condition worse per MD. 

@Altostrata I have the severe tinnitus and hyperacusis prior to the smoking was stopped and the gum was started. 

@Shep@Altostrata

I am going to attempt to p/u liquid RX for Valium tomorrow. I do not think state ins will want to pay for it because they just filled a 10mg RX not long ago. My brain so off..thought RX was all I needed forgot about ins. Think I have 4 - two total mg left. If, I can fill it..should I do 1/2 and 1/2. 1/2 liquid 1/2 pill ? For a day or two. Sorry..brain fog..right now. And body in serious pain. My Doctor said I didn’t need to do that. 

• Administrator

You'll have to ask your doctor about whether you've had liver and kidney function blood tests, and the results.

If I were you, I would not ingest any aspartame, maybe ever. I don't think your symptoms are from stopping smoking.

The dystonia may be from going on and off psychiatric drugs. How did you go off sertraline? Did the dystonia start while you were taking it?

Why does your doctor think you have poor nutrition? There are nutritional deficiencies that can contribute to cramping. I have no idea if this will help you, but  a lot of people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see
https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

Magnesium, which can relax muscles, is best taken in small doses throughout the day.

If you are low in vitamin B12, that can cause neuropsychiatric symptoms. You'd ramp up slowly with a crumb from a sublingual methylcobalamin tablet. See

Other things that might help: Acupuncture, chiropractic, stretching (free). @WiggleIt, any suggestions?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

@Altostrata Thank you for your reply. And the work you do for all. When, I am well..I will thank you for life and help others.

The nicotine gum is okay for now? I do maybe 5..a day..sometimes a few more. I will stop the asparatame gum.

The dystonia or tardive dyskinesia or what ever it is called started after the stopping of the Sertraline. I have had nerve tingling and burning in my feet for atleast 4 years. The right foot was always the worst. Neurologists could find nothing wrong. I got stuck on a Prozac taper. Stopped abruptly by mental hospital. I had tried a tiny updose. Hospital updosed me 1 day to  10mg - Prozac. I had been on the Liquid generic at home. The next day they had me take 25mg of Sertraline and 5 days later bumped me to 50mg. I had also used hydroxizine, melatonin, etc. Burning and tingling and tremors continued and physical pain, etc., cont. I was on it 5 weeks or so..suffering. My Dr. and I did 50 % drops for about 5 weeks. By pill slicing. Jumped off the last 6-7mg.  I was in terrible w/d’s already. Sounds, dry-heaving, nightmares, intrusive thoughts, panic..maybe from TMS too? That was an abrupt stop as well. The TMS. I was started getting sick in August/ Sept. Hospital in Oct. Last 6mg-7mg Setraline was 12.23.18. We thought we could beat the W/D’s. He thought I would be better each and every week. 

He thought maybe the vitamin deficiencies  re/ dystonia. Because of my weight loss. I have had 0 appetite since Sept. I have to force food. My pain level is high. My anxiety is through the roof. My depression is debilitating - of course I have no appetite. And I have severe AKA - mental and physical. O ability to sit, lay or stand still. Plus several other phobias and fears and debilitating symptoms. I have not had 1 break. The dystonia started w/in the first month off the meds. The foot has stayed the same. It tried to kick up in the left after Valium was started. It has progressively gotten worse the last few days and nights. Hands. Body twisting. AKA has been bad for quite awhile. I apologize for writing so much. I have not been able to stop mind or body in a healthy way. I am unable to do a acupuncture or chiro. I am house bound. I am monophobia now as well. I have people offering manicures, hair colors, etc. I couldn’t sit for that if I wanted to. I have to eat standing up pacing. Maybe I should try to take a video? Of my sleep..or lack there of..I have atleast 40 debilitating sx’s. 

Sertraline - It was a fast, ugly taper..we had done...ignorant..dr. And me. Quick  on, quick off. I wish I had found you guys sooner. I had done multiple on this/ off that over the years. Atleast 15 drugs/ some repeats. 25 years?

@Altostrata I am in the horror of severe w/d.  How could I possibly try a supplement? I tried a 400 vit D..but there is no way to know if it made things worse or better because of the severity of my symtoms. I am already suffering. I need d, b, fish oil, magnesium. I know one at a time. But, I am on my own here. I couldn’t find my way out of a brown paper bag. My dad takes me to my Dr. And errands. Because I don’t want to be home alone. I am a 46 year old woman. I have never, ever been like this. I am in shock with my nervous system. 

@Altostrata@Shep The nicotine gum has aspartame too per my research last night. If not, something to it’s equivalent. I read. And the trident gum. My severe problems began before all of this. So..should I be updosing the Valium, trying to stay the same, or down dosing? I think the first the few hours...sometimes longer before the Valium is the hardest. I just had some serious chest pain..cortisol maybe. Very bad back pain. PMS too..and pain..hands burning..feet shaking. Tried some rocking. My dr. is clueless as am I. Need some relief. My withdrawals very nasty began before the Valium, nicotine gum - with chemicals - just learned. I have not stabilized on the 4mg Valium. That’s been a joke. I also read Benzo can react with aspartame. On internet. So, cold turkey my nicotine gum? Yikes?! And wait to order aspartame free online. In horrific withdrawals and now nothing for relief? Pls advise. Sorry..I am a wreck. Just need a break. I quit smoking to try to help myself and this is where I am at????? Crawling out of skin and up walls...

• Moderator Emeritus
4 hours ago, BeWell said:

The nicotine gum has aspartame too per my research last night. If not, something to it’s equivalent. I read. And the trident gum. My severe problems began before all of this. So..should I be updosing the Valium, trying to stay the same, or down dosing? I think the first the few hours...sometimes longer before the Valium is the hardest. I just had some serious chest pain..cortisol maybe. Very bad back pain. PMS too..

This post may help explain the worsening symptoms for things you weren't sensitive to prior to withdrawal. This is from the thread - One theory of antidepressant withdrawal syndrome

On 5/24/2011 at 10:59 PM, Altostrata said:

My guess is: The first phase of withdrawal, the acute phase, is the initial shock of withdrawal, with the most defined symptoms, such as brain zaps and nausea and possibly waves of unusually intense "depression" and "anxiety" -- actually, emotions generated by the neurological upset. Later, glutamatergic hyper-reactivity and autonomic instability take over. Often the autonomic instability causes wide hypersensitivity to drugs, supplements, and even foods.

Out of control, unrelated to environmental or psychological triggers, the alerting system sends intense, spontaneous signals to the adrenals, which produce the stress hormones cortisol and adrenaline.

This is not strictly brain damage. Brain damage means some physical part has been permanently removed and can never be recovered. Rather, this is iatrogenic neuropsychiatric damage.

According to established principles of neuroplasticity, the nervous system can repair itself and regain functioning that is close to normal. In cases where there is no apparent iatrogenic cause for autonomic dysfunction, it often spontaneously resolves. Low stress, good nutrition, and as much sleep and gentle exercise as possible are key.

So you are likely in this phase of hyper-reactivity.

I have not stabilized on the 4mg Valium.

According to your signature, you updosed to 4 mg Valium on May 2, which is about a week ago. 

You also mention PMS, so you may want to hold where you're at and do as much self care as you can. Once the PMS ends, you may naturally feel better and get your second wind.

So, cold turkey my nicotine gum?

No, please do not do that. A cold turkey may be worse than the side effects of the aspartame. Perhaps switch back to cigarettes or decrease the amount of the nicotine gum you are chewing until you can get the aspartame free kind. 

Remember to listen to Claire Weekes and any other calming videos or podcasts. 

@Shep Thank you. I am in so much pain. Tylenol is not touching it. The liquid Valium will be ready tomorrow. The pharmacist just told my dad that they may not even be able to get it for some reason. I am going to cross straight over tomorrow. I have 3 - 2 mg pills left. One for tonight and two for tomorrow. This is not good. None of it.

@Altostrata@Shep Feeling so desperate..any ideas on reinstatement of SSRI? Anybody? I’ve recd the threads. The articles. I just don’t know how I am going to make it out alive. 12/23/18 was my last dose of Sertraline. Jumped at 6-7mg from a fast on and fast off. Basically a CT. And CT from Prozac the day before starting the Sertraline. I know no one knows..but..I need serious help here. Valium added over a month ago. 0 relief. Please help! I’ve got two beautiful daughters to stay alive for.

@Shep@Altostrata are we more concerned with the Aspartame in nic gum or the nicotine and chemicals in cig. Please advise. I am very ill. Something needs to be done..to save my life. My kidney/ liver tests were fine per my MD.

• Moderator Emeritus

BeWell, please re-read your thread regarding reinstatement. 

Let us know if you have any questions about getting to a low dose using a scale or liquid, should you decide to reinstate. 

11 hours ago, BeWell said:

are we more concerned with the Aspartame in nic gum or the nicotine and chemicals in cig.

There's no way to know for sure.  You could stop the nicotine gum and smoke cigarettes for a few days to see if it's the aspartame.

@Shep@Altostrata Thanks for your replies. The liquid Valium is suppose to be in tonight after 5pm. My Dr. Told me to take .4ml I believe..it was written on the RX. If it doesn’t come in tonight. What do I do? I have the 5mg pills - take 2.5 my. Ugh. I believe the .4ml is equivalent to the 2mg..which I would take twice a day. Correct? TD, dystonia, restlegg, arm, aka mental and physical is getting worse. Along with the pain. Dr. Told me to cross straight over. Which doesn’t leave me much of a choice..I will have 1 - 2mg pill left for tonight.

• Administrator
On 5/8/2019 at 9:15 PM, Altostrata said:

If I were you, I would not ingest any aspartame, maybe ever. I don't think your symptoms are from stopping smoking.

If you cannot get the new diazepam prescription as expected, you'll have to make do with what you have.

After you went off sertraline December 23, 2018, what was your symptom pattern? Did it get worse, better, or stay the same?

@AltostrataWorse. Mentally and physically. It was already not great. I do not know how I am going to make it through the day. Or what I am going to chew. If I shouldn’t chew the nic gum. Or trident. I have no desire to leave the bed. I am nauseous. In pain. Severely depressed. Severely anxious. See all above symptoms. I had a pretty bad sore throat yesterday and now am having trouble swallowing. And the feeling of choking. Everything got worse. I have no energy to sit up right. I have 0 failure to thrive. With food, bathing, changing clothes. Complete inability to lay still, sit still, stand still. My body just keeps folding into fetal position. I was a functioning a tiny bit about 3 months ago. I can’t go back to smoking. Please advise. I am feeling extremely suicidal. I know that is frowned upon here. To even mention it. And when the AKA takes over..it is not good. 

• Administrator

I hope I made it clear: Stop ingesting aspartame. If this means you need to stop chewing the gum, I would stop chewing it.

If you got worse off Zoloft, some amount of your current symptoms may be SSRI withdrawal. When you took fluoxetine before, how did you react to it?

Did the feeling of choking get worse when you increased diazepam? Attention @Shep

@Shep@Altostrata Thank you for your help. I was better on the generic Prozac - tapering for about a year on and off - then big time w/d hit. Sept all heck broke loose. Mental hospital. Got sick going on the sertraline. Body pain was still high. Mental was better than now. I was still able to wear shoes for the most part. I think the dystonia has started. Not the iv movement of foot though. Toes, curling, cramping. The insomnia was pretty bad though. I was in pain..nothing like now..but I was doing some ubering for uber eats..in Nov. and Dec. I thought my physical pain was normal for w/d. Dry heaving. Nightmares. Anxiety. D/P. D/R. The reason for the Valium was take away the nasty SSRI w/d’s or take the edge off. The dysphasia/ choking has been on and off since Aug. The nausea creeping back in is new again. The dry heaving had been gone for awhile. The burning, hands, beck, back is rarely new. And try severe clenching of fists. So lost.....ok to chew gum w/out aspartame though...???? Or get cigarettes so thats not a cold turkey? Although..I think it may have been..

@Altostrata Very low in D. But, think it may have activated me. Even the 400. I had tried one. Low for years when looking at labs. There is no way to know what is causing what. Because I am so sick. And in so much physical pain. Sleep has been terrible for atleast 3 months. Not great before that..

• Administrator

If I were you, I'd avoid artifical sweeteners and flavoring altogether.

19 minutes ago, BeWell said:

The dysphasia/ choking has been on and off since Aug.

Were you taking a benzo in August?

No guarantees, but you might try 0.5mg liquid Prozac, that could take the edge off withdrawal symptoms. Please let us know how you're doing.

@AltostrataThe benzo was not added until the later part of 3/2019. To help w/w/d’s. It hasn’t ..Idk. Thank you. I will consider the Prozac. Just terrified of things getting worse.