bunchesofoats

Aligning tapering to menstrual cycle

bunchesofoats

I'm curious if others of the menstrual persuasion have aligned their tapering drop dose dates with certain days in their cycles and if anyone knows a good deal about the interactions between the hormones and medication/tapering.

The first time I tried to taper down from 30mg citalopram, it just happened to be during my most difficult week of the cycle (PMS week aka within 7 days before my period starting), and that was horrendous. The second time I smartened up and decided to do it during my "good" week or around day 7 of my cycle, though with the surge of estrogen during that period it can also be difficult. I know there of course isn't a *perfect* (that word should be censored out like a curse word), but I'm wondering if, in general, to those who this is relevant, there is a time during the month when dropping dosage is less harsh on the body.

SertralineAnxiety

Hi,

This makes a lot of sense to me.

I use a free app called "Clue" to track my period and symptoms. I might check the symptom pattern, and make sure to drop at a "better" time of the month. 

Thanks for the post!

NorthStar

Hey! I'm planning to do this. My last year of drug cocktails has been during a postpartum period, too (and because of), so I'm all sorts of hormonally sensitive and discombobulated right now. I notice that I have a much easier time with reducing or adding anything about 50-75% of the way through my cycle (week 3-4). So that's when I'm planning on doing reductions or additions (of supplements) if I can (and if my cycle remains regular - that's the kicker).

I'm also trying to find supplements that might help regulate my cycle (bioidentical progesterone cream RXed from a doc helped somewhat with mood, but caused other havoc - cramping, spotting, acne - so I'm going to avoid that in the future if I can). Will see what I find.

Bridgetini

This is a super interesting topic.

I am perimenopausal AND have a Mirena coil AND a giant uterine fibroid tumour, so I don't have any bleeds, but I think that my hormones are probably still fluctuating, maybe not in a regular fashion. I think I will research how to monitor my endogenous female hormone levels myself to help me with tapering withdrawal.

Thanks for this.

Bridgetini. xx

bunchesofoats

I was using the app ovia for years to track my cycle and symptoms, but it didn't tell me anything super useful with the data. I got fed up and made my own table in google docs which I printed out and wrote on every day. I printed out new ones every months for a few months and noticed some interested patterns. For example, the night after my 5th day, I always have crazy weird dreams (probably an increase in estrogen leading to an increase in melatonin, but I'm really kind of talking out of my butt here). I'm also at my most vulnerable around day 21/22/23. For me it was far more insightful to create my own table and physically write my symptoms down every day. Now I've been dropping my dosage during the first week (for whatever reason, it's the easiest for me), and that has helped tremendously.