SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Writerwoman403: Off Prozac for the 2nd (and hopefully final) time

Writerwoman403

Thanks for the ad. My Dr for the past 30 years just retired this past January. I had tried going off Prozac in 2016 but reluctantly went back on it after the prospect of a surgery came up.  Last year after having a knee replacement (and still taking Prozac) I had a short bout of depression. So January of this year I see my old doctor for the final time and he had me wean off Prozac slower than the first time so that I was Prozac-free by April 1.

My eldest brother and 2 of his daughters visited us briefly from North Dakota. If I’m lucky, I see family once a year. I’m the youngest of 7 and my siblings are in their 60’s and 70s, all developing health issues. After seeing my brother and nieces last month I felt sad that that might be the only family I see this whole year. 

This current depression began Friday April 26 and is slowly subsiding. Last week I saw my new doctor who ordered blood work to check my thyroid & vitamin D levels. She agreed Big Pharma is a problem & agreed I should try a more holistic approach. 

So that’s where I am presently. Also seeing my therapist. And I have an incredible support group of family and friends.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Writerwoman, welcome to SA.  How long was your Prozac taper?  It's possible that the depression may be from Prozac withdrawal.  Have you experienced any other withdrawal symptoms since going Prozac-free?

It would be helpful if you could please create a signature containing a summary of your med history, including all drugs, doses and dates (starting and stopping).  Your signature appears below every post you make, and helps us see your situation easily without having to read from the top every time.   You could look at my signature for an example.  Instructions for creating your signature are here: Please put your withdrawal history in your signature.  You can edit your signature here: edit your signature in Account Settings.

Please post all your updates and questions about your situation here in your introduction topic.  It's great that you have an open-minded doctor and a wonderful support group.  You'll find a lot of support on this site as well.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

• Songbird changed the title to Writerwoman403: Off Prozac for the 2nd (and hopefully final) time