Cobalt1: tapering Cymbalta

Cobalt1

I had been taking Celexa for about 5 years then was off of it with no apparent after affects for a couple of years. 

Then, life happened & I got back on it for another 3-4 years. 

It got to a point where Celexa 40mg just wasn't doing the trick, so my Dr. switched me to sertraline, I think, but it made my moods swing so severe it was like being bipolar. Not good. 

He then put me on 20mg of Cymbalta, which over time (about a year) was raised to 40mg. This seemed to work better for a while, however, it should be noted that during this time of Cymbalta, I am not sexually active. I was more so on Celexa. 

Ok, here's the real question... I have slowly reduced my dosage over the last 2 months to where I am now 2weeks into having not taken anything. Last night, I experienced the most intense sexual urge I have ever had, probably since my 20's! I'm 55!!!! And female. I'm not sexually active, I'm celibate. I have been for the last 5 years. 

Is this a natural occurrence with SSRI Withdrawal Syndrome?

Edited by Shep
added new username to title
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Cobalt.

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants.

How fast was your taper? Did you come off Cymbalta in only 2 months? 

If you did a very fast taper, since you're only 2 weeks off, you may want to reinstate. Please let us know more so we can give you the appropriate information.

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms 

Should you decide to reinstate, this thread will provide information for getting down to a lower amount of the drug.

Tips for tapering off Cymbalta (duloxetine)

Here is some information on withdrawal:

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain

Healing from antidepressants. Patterns of recovery video (4 minutes)

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

On 4/25/2019 at 7:04 PM, Cobalt1 said:

Ok, here's the real question... I have slowly reduced my dosage over the last 2 months to where I am now 2weeks into having not taken anything. Last night, I experienced the most intense sexual urge I have ever had, probably since my 20's! I'm 55!!!! And female. I'm not sexually active, I'm celibate. I have been for the last 5 years. 

Is this a natural occurrence with SSRI Withdrawal Syndrome?

Yes, this likely was from the drug. For more information, please see:

Persistent genital arousal disorder (PGAD)

Please add a signature.  Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 

• Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  •  This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

As you provide more information, we can better guide you in deciding if a reinstatement is best and provide other information, as well.