SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

LonelyCloud: risperdal and prozac

LonelyCloud

Hello, I'm still new to this site and apologize if I made a mistake that could get me banned by instantly starting a topic but I was too mentally drained to even read the description, I'm really desperate to get answers that will shed light onto my own case of what I assume to be withdrawal and hope administrators won't take offense in it.

I was previously preparing this text so excuse if the start sounds somewhat artificial as followed up by this part of the text, I don't feel like re-editing it.

Now, would you consider it out of the ordinary that I didn't feel any withdrawal symptoms the first two years after I quit medication? I heard it is not uncommon for antipsychotics (in my case risperidone 1mg) to have more bizarre withdrawal effects than other psychiatric drugs. All this just invokes worry in me that I might be severely mentally ill instead of merely going through the necessary withdrawal process.

In respect to that are details that I find important to stress out as far as my own situation is concerned, one such would be that I can't clearly tell when my symptoms started, as if not knowing when they will end wasn't scary enough, some I can even recall as far back when I quit therapy.

And they don't appear to be too problematic, at least not as much as people describe theirs (although still profoundly debilitating and present with almost all describing symptoms in the book including occasional physical pains, but I still feel like most of you go through worse than me as I can be surprisingly functional on certain days, of course I might also be wrong and projecting a humble vital mindset since I know complaining won't help me any further).

Another thing to note is that I was compelled to quit cold turkey due to the risperidone having caused severe internal organ damage in the form of pancreatitis, and during my stay on it I was completely deprived from the other medication I was taking, prozac to be exact, in an amount of 20mg, all as instructed by my doctor, without any tapering process.

And the first few weeks of therapy my dose was rashly decreased from 1.5mg to 1mg risperidone.

Other important details concerning my medical history include infrequent xanax consumption as monitored by my mom and whenever I felt the need for it (which actually didn't impact me negatively and even helped),

an attempt at suicide by overdosing with an unknown substance (it's really the hypnotic effects of risperidone to blame so don't judge me please, I woke up the next day after 16 hours of sleep without side effects so it couldn't be that fatal), 

frequent alcohol and marijuana consumption for several months to make the effects of risperidone more bearable,

and later recreative drug use when I was already off and determined to celebrate my newly acquired health (especially morning glory seeds in case that information is of any significance, I even think the first dissociation symptoms were triggered by them but that was still a year prior to when the withdrawal symptoms truly started kicking in, in the sense of turning me dysfunctional), as well as the fact that I spent the previous year starving myself due to poor appetite as I had no clue what was wrong with me and that withdrawal syndrome does it (which probably already stunted my health development enough).

Please also note that I was completely straight edge before these medicines, I don't want you to get a wrong of me as the type drug abuser who has himself to blame for ruining his life, everyone deserves a second chance and you should know yourself how heavy these medications are, they required certain measures of escapism and relief which I rediscovered in recreative drugs as they partially helped me regain my cognitive processes and fight off the continuous inner turmoil of being trapped in your own body.

I deeply hope all this has left no incurable permanent brain damage and that there's still hope to start life anew in spite of all the mistakes I've made in the past 5 years and truly paid them and even have to carry them with me up to this day, I'm only 20 years old and already have to pay such burdensome consequences for my past actions.

Looking back at all that I think I would have rather died from sepsis than spend any more time on these demonic medicines. Medications that I felt so horrible on for the entire time I was taking them couldn't be any good for me, all the while I was too restrained by the mental blockages they caused to say anything during this one-and-a-half-year stay, it's only when I was taken off that I finally felt like a happy fulfilled human being again, even in a problematic situation like the one that forced me to end them.

All that being said, I'm not very informed on the topic and would be deeply thankful if someone could provide me additional information sources.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Edited by manymoretodays
spacing for ease of reading
  • ChessieCat changed the title to LonelyCloud: risperdal and prozac
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Lonely Cloud and welcome,

So you were on 20 mg of Prozac and 1.5 mg of Risperidone?

And now drug free?

How long were you on the medication/drugs?

And if you don't mind saying........what age were you started on them? 

And no, you won't be instantly banned from site for telling your story, to date, in your introduction.  I did some spacing to it, for ease of reading.  Typing out or telling your story can be a really healing process.  And others may relate and benefit from it as well.  So......you are doing just fine getting started here.

We do generally ask that everyone who joins do what is called a signature:  Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

Best done on a PC.  It can be done on a phone device, but then isn't viewable from a phone device.  It's the portion that you'll see below others posts and gives, at a glance, a summary of medications/drug history and WD.  No need to add in your recreational drug and substance use to that.  And no judgement.

Most of the questions I asked in that first paragraph, can be answered, using the signature format:

Your signature appears under all your posts.

If your drug history is very long, the last few years will do. FOR READABILITY, SHORT LINES ARE BEST.

• A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs
  • Include ALL drugs, doses, and dates (starting and stopping)
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (e.g. mid-June) rather than relative time frames (e.g. 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months (e.g. "January" or "Jan" as 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as 9 Jan 2016 or 1 Sept 2016)
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses

Example:

2001–2002 paroxetine 
2003  citalopram 
2004  paroxetine
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to 2016 Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg

(As of 12/31/13: Signatures are limited to 12 lines of text.)

How to add or edit your signature

1. Click on this link to open the correct page in User Settings:
    Create Your Signature in "Account Settings"
    2017-June 12 update: link works on desktop, tablet and mobile phone versions

2. Enter your signature in the space provided.
  3. When you are done, Click on the big black Save button at the bottom.

How are you doing with the pancreatitis now LC?  I did find it listed as a rarer side effect of risperidone here.  Drugs.com- Risperidone

And it does sound like you have been reading around the site a bit before starting your introduction.

I'm still not clear on the timelines of your CT(cold turkeys) off of Prozac and Risperidone.........as well as the other substances.  It's possible, that your usage of other substances somehow masked some earlier WD.  Although we don't recommend other substances due to sensitivities to many things post psychoactive/neuroactive prescription medications.

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made.  The CNS likes stability. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur. And sleep is really important during withdrawal.  Insomnia is no small deal. 

A few links to information that we have on withdrawal:

It's possible, in my opinion, that you could be experiencing WD, even ? 2 years out.  If possible don't get too hung up on self diagnosing yourself with MI of some type.  If symptoms are like the symptoms you remember having prior to starting the medications........that might be what's going on too.  We are more proponents of using non-drug coping skills prior to medications, as so many medications are so darn nasty.  We have a whole symptoms and self care section devoted to non-drug coping.   And then it's always nice if one can find help in their local areas too, help that is not so quick to medicate.

(continued on the next post)

Edited by manymoretodays
additional

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome aboard again LC,

This is your introduction/journal page where you have now introduced yourself to the community, you can ask further questions here regarding your individual case, give updates, and just keep a record of your journey.  Other members and moderators can stop in here to communicate as well.

Hopefully some of the links in my last post will offer you some more education as well.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

manymoretodays(mmt)

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Hi @LonelyCloud & Welcome to the group! Congratulations on quitting these awful drugs- Stay Strong- Laydefish

2 years Drug History Prior to Tapering:

Between 2011 & 2018 I had approximately 58 dose changes between the 4 main medications I took as well as 14 new medications add & taken away.

Prozac (Fluoxetine):(Aug 2016-Dec 2016: 60MG),(June 2017-Nov 2017: 60MG),(Dec 2017: 80MG),(June 2017-Sept 2 2018: 60MG),(Sept 3 2018-Sept 5 2018: 40MG),(Sept 6 2018-Sept 8 2018: 20MG),(Sept 9 2018: 0MG).

Cymbalta:(Jan 2017-May 2017: 60MG).

Cyclobenzaprine: (Aug 2016: 30MG,(Feb 2017: 30MG).

Diazepam (Valium):(Aug 2016-Sept 15 2016: 30MG),(Sept 16 2016-Oct 2017: 15MG),(Nov 2017-Aug 19 2018: 6MG),(Aug 20 2018: 0MG).

Gabapentin:(Aug 2016-Aug 3 2018: 2400MG),(Aug 4 2018-March 26 2019: 2000MG),(March 27 2019-March 30 2019: 1600MG),(May 1 2019: 2000MG)

Hydrocodone:(Aug 2016-Oct 2016: 10-325/4daily),(Nov 2016-Feb 2017: 10-325/3daily),(March 2017-April 2017: 5-325/4daily),(May 2017-April 2018: 10-325/3daily),(June 2018-Aug 25 2018: 10-325/5daily),(Aug 26 2018-Sept 2 2018: 4.5daily),(Sept 3 2018-Sept 10 2018: 10-325/4daily),(Sept 11 2018-Sept 18 2018: 10-325/3daily),(Sept 19 2018-May 1 2019: 10-325/3.5 daily).

Oxycodone: May 2018: 10-325MG/4daily). 

Please see my Intro for full drug history.

**Forgive Yourself For Not Knowing What You Didn't Know Before You Knew It!  -Maya Angelou/