Frankgrimes: Paxil withdrawal and reinstatment

Frankgrimes

I often feel like I can’t calm down in withdrawal - like I’m hyper and happy but it’s not real and it doesn’t feel good.  Like an artificial high.  It happens sometimes after I do things that exert myself - like in this case - go to the bathroom.  Does anyone else ever get this or does this make sense?

- for 16 years took: morning: lexapro 10 mg, wellbutrin xl 150mg; evening: paxil 2.5 mg, zoloft 25mg

- feb 22:  tried to change and decreased paxil to 1.25 and zoloft to 50 and experienced eurphoria and possible mania, needed less sleep, etc.

- decreased zoloft back to 25 over 2 weeks and decreased paxil to 0

- withdrawal started a few days later and increased paxil back to 1.25 - stabilized but flat after a couple days (eventually got paxil back to 2.5)

- also took levaquin for possible prostatitis

- never really improved and we tried deplin, different formulations of generics and brand names

- Mid June 2019 lost the ability to sleep completely

- 7/1/19 cold turkeyed in hospital off 2.5 paxil and shortly thereafter 25 zoloft, titrated lithium up to 1200 but settled at 900mg

- 8/10/19 tried 12.5 lexapro for 2 weeks with disastrous sensitivities 

- 8/26/19 and currently: morning: 10 mg lexapro, 150 wellbutrin xl; evening: lithium 900 mg (Took klonopin for wknd)
9/20 tapered to 780mg lithium from 900mg - hypomania almost immediately, tinnitus, dizziness, pain, burning, freezing cold

- 9/29 reinstated to 900mg lithium

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hey Frank - I responded to your question in my topic, 

I guess you figured that out, when you reinstated.

It is doable, and you are benefitted by the liquid - you can choose your taper carefully (I made many mistakes doing dry cutting, and I survived those mistakes, but liquid would have been soooooooo much easier!

I hope you see the sun today!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• 2 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Frankgrimes,

How are you doing?

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Better than I’d say 8 months ago when I was inpatient.  I have brain fog and pain I feel disconnected from.  Some chest pain as well that comes and goes.  Tingling and  numbness/parasthesias have improved.  I’m freezing cold a lot still.  Not sure if it’s due to the lithium but i feel as if I have no memory of my life or my past - no visceral reactions, no trauma based responses - it’s like my life and dna has been wiped.  It’s pretty horrible.  I also shake and tremble and have no sex drive and cannot tell who is attractive or not - it’s like I have no instincts.  

Due to levaquin most likely I have Candida and leaky gut and tiredness - but could also be due to lithium.  I don’t sweat right and still feel ocd/sick/uncomfortable.  My stomach has improved and I’m on strict anti Candida diet and supplements / antifungals for about a month now.

I was on 900 lithium Er at night and switched to 600 immediate at night and 300 immediate at night.  Tried to lower it and went to 540 and 240 and couldn’t handle it.  My level is .8 and I was a .45 at that point.  I am going to try again from 900 ER to 750 ER.  I know it’s more than 10% but I think I need the ER - the immediate spikes up and down too fast.  Hopefully that works.

i also did some deep tms and had horrible reactions - the day after I’d be freezing and shaking and crying - maybe too much serotonin or something.

- for 16 years took: morning: lexapro 10 mg, wellbutrin xl 150mg; evening: paxil 2.5 mg, zoloft 25mg

- feb 22:  tried to change and decreased paxil to 1.25 and zoloft to 50 and experienced eurphoria and possible mania, needed less sleep, etc.

- withdrawal started a few days later and increased paxil back to 1.25 - stabilized but flat after a couple days (eventually got paxil back to 2.5)

- never really improved and we tried deplin, different formulations of generics and brand names

- 7/1/19 cold turkeyed in hospital off 2.5 paxil and shortly thereafter 25 zoloft, titrated lithium up to 1200 but settled at 900mg

- 8/26/19 and currently: morning: 10 mg lexapro, 150 wellbutrin xl; evening: lithium 900 mg (Took klonopin for wknd)
9/20 tapered to 780mg lithium from 900mg - hypomania almost immediately, tinnitus, dizziness, pain, burning, freezing cold

• 3 weeks later...

I lowered my lithium from 900er to 750er.  First had some hyperness and dizziness, then I felt like myself again for a few days (memories back, able to connect and identify with people) - it was like my brain went back on, then I got really really tired - unbelievable exhaustion.

Two weeks later I’m just depressed.  Memories disappeared again, feelings disappeared, more suicidal ideation and want to die depression feelings.  Unsure if it’s withdrawal.  Good vibes/feelings only lasted a couple days.

On bright side not as cold, not as shaky, stomach a bit better.  

don’t know how to proceed as I must get off this evil med.

• 2 years later...

Titled:  Just started my Lexapro taper- ? switch to brassmonkey

Haven’t been on here for a long time but recovered after a couple years from Zoloft and Paxil cold Turkey.  Was on Lexapro 10mg, Paxil 2.5 mg, Zoloft 25 mg, and Wellbutrin xl 150 for 20 years until an increase in Zoloft switched me to hypomanic. Yes, 3 Ssris.  Paxil and Zoloft were cold Turkey while given lithium, which I eventually got off.

Still on 10 Lexapro and 150 Wellbutrin xl. Just lowered my Lexapro to 9 mg 5 days ago. Some spaciness, increased anxiety (physical only, not mental), tiredness, some stomach discomfort - annoying but i am okay once I force myself to do stuff and need to work in a high mentally intense job - feel like really jonesing for that other 1mg Lexapro.

Question: should I reinstate to 10mg and then start brass monkey, or wait 4-6 wks then do brassmonkey from 9mg?

Edited by manymoretodays
merged and added title

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey there Frankgrimes, @Frankgrimes

To update or edit your signature I'll just give you the main link to signatures:

-how-to-summarize-your-drug-history-in-your-signature

And thank you for doing that.

Looks like you might now need a couple more links to topics as well:

Tips for tapering off escitalopram(Lexapro)

-tips-for-tapering-off-wellbutrin-sr-xr-xl-zyban-buproprion

Why did you choose the Lexapro to taper off first?

How are you doing now?  WD symptoms?  Drug symptoms?

Here's the topic on brassmonkey slides, so you can begin to see how to plan a taper of less than 10% every 4 weeks:

The Brassmonkey Slide Method of Micro-tapering

Just post questions, concerns, updates right here in your topic.  It should prove helpful to both you and us, and does help keep the site tidy and organized.  Thank you.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• 3 weeks later...

Hello how are you? I seen your post about having acid reflux & was wondering if it went away for you ? @Frankgrimes

April 2022- Only 1 celxa pill 10mg

had an adverse reaction & never took anymore again 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi tried to update my signature but it's too long

dont remember when but got off lithium

fast forward, tried TMS - would make my body shake the next and id be freezing cold the next day and want to die

diagnosed with candida, leaky gut, h pylori, lack of probiotics, tons of food sensitivities

taking vitamin d right now and some stuff for leaky gut - no issues with that stuff

tried b6 but makes me feel warm and tired

trying magnesium

12/28/23 lowered from 10 lexapro to 9 lexapro - spacy, flu like, lasted about a week or so, felt fine eventually

1/9 lowered to 8.55 lexapro felt fine

1/18 lowered to 8.1 lexapro felt fine

1/27 lowered to 7.70 lexapro felt fine

2/5 lowered to 7.29 lexapro - was also doing sauna and glutathione as part of a mold testing protocol - started getting exhausted - thought that was from the testing and the sauna, OCD was getting worse but though it was from the sauna

2/13 lowered to 6.93 lexapro - OCD got extreme, unable to focus at work, crying, 

2/16 took 6.93 and was crying and couldn't focus so took enough lexapro to get back to 7.29

pausing at 7.29

very on the edge, feel cold/chills, not eating much, no bowel movements, some crying, some shakiness

currently deciding whether to reup my lexapro to 7.70 which was probably the last time i felt fine or stick it out at 7.29 (i weigh the solco generic on a scale).  6.93 was too intense of a drop and 7.29 isn't fun, but not nearly as bad as 6.93.  i have a slight internal tremor and sometimes i cry a little bit.  i didn't have this at all at 7.70.  regardless i plan to hold for a month but scared i've gotten too far down - like the withdrawal is already set in too strong.  thoughts?

Just reinstated back to 7.70 - which is the last amount i felt good on on 2/4 - by taking .005 of a pill.  Hopefully i have not been kindled.  Pray.