UK Survey - last day 31st May - for those that have taken antidepressants in the UK

LivR

Hi, I am a journalist investigating a subject very close to my heart - the withdrawal side effects of coming off antidepressants. I have created a survey and it would be great if forum members could fill it in. All results are anonymous and this would hugely benefit my investigation. Thanks in advance! 

Link to survey:  https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1gOvUYqDEagcchhAq0nITYYh0kpvbdIIM496-rCtrxjw/viewform?edit_requested=true

Edited by ChessieCat
fixed link

• ChessieCat changed the title to UK Survey for those that have taken antidepressants in the UK

Some further background on the survey -

I am a journalism masters student at City, University of London and I am hoping to use the results of this survey as part of a wider article exploring antidepressant withdrawal and alternative therapies. I am also interviewing case studies. I am hoping to pitch the article to a national publication once it is finished.

Thanks again for your help! Sometimes collecting your own data is the best way to understand and tackle a subject as complex as mental health.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Liv,

I'm just wondering if you are getting responses to your survey.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

just done ☺

Took prozac 40 mg for 20 years.

January 2017 started cutting down prozac by 12.5% a week. End of February 2017 completely off prozac and withdrawals began.

Currently taking Levothyroxine 75 mcg, Magnesium citrate 200mg,Sage leaf 50mg daily

Amlodipine: October 2017 , discontinued 26 Feb 2019; Candesartan:  26 Feb 2019, 4mg.

Discontinued magnesium citrate 200mg Apr 3rd 2019

Reinstated prozac:  14 Jan 2019, 1mg; 26 Jan, 1.5mg; 4 Feb, 2mg; 16 Feb, 2.5mg; 2 Mar, 3mg; 5 Mar, 2.5mg, 23 Mar, 3 mg; 6 Apr, 3.5mg, 14 Apr 4mg, 23 Apr 5mg, 10 Jul 8mg, 1 Dec 20mg, 1 Apr 2020 40mg 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Liv,

Q:  What is the last date that the survey can be completed?

I've created a new topic in the Introduction forum which will hopefully get more attention.

uk-survey

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• ChessieCat changed the title to UK Survey - last day 31st May - for those that have taken antidepressants in the UK

Hallo LivR,

Your question survey was OK, but did not leave any space for individuals to express themselves. 

Withdrawal can take even more than 1,5 years (protracted) CBT does not always help as some emotional reactions are not even controllable - 

I am just starting to get the so-called "windows" (good times)  and this is after 1 year and 7 months after  I reached  0 amount of medication.  I tapered extremely slowly (only took 20 mg Citralopram for 3 months) as recommended but netherless I had extreme withdrawal symptoms.

Regarding the mismanagement and the increasing level of prescriptions of ADs, Benzo & Co. I have been on German TV as a reporter wanted to make this known on German TV -

It is the same problem over here in Germany. Even your dentist can prescribe ADs. Unbelievable.

But even worse, you can not find a doctor who believes you that you have withdrawal symptons, let alone help you. I feel alone with my pain.

I wish you success with your survey.

But one step more - we need a way out - a solution and practicle help for people. We need not only to describe and acknowledge withdrawal symptoms, this has been done  in England lately - but we should strive to achieve  an international group of experienced doctors and holistic persons to actively work together to help people who are suffering because of prescription drugs.

Mole

Edited by Mole25
wrong words

November  2016 Panic Attacks, severe nausea

December  2016 short stay in hospital

Citalopram 20 mg 

January      2017 tapering Citalopram due to side effects: hallucinations, no sleep

Psychologist refuses to help me                        

January - 

August        2017 Using water method, reducing by approx. 10% 2-3 weeks 

At 1 mg Citalopram Withdrawal symptoms including dizzyness, neck pains, 

diarrohea. 

Supplements: Fish Oil Omega, Vitamins, Ashwagandha and now Magnesium

I've completed the survey, but the questions on talking therapy presented a problem.

During my first bout of depression in 1999 - 2001 I was referred for talking therapy. There was a 4 week wait and I had about 4 months worth of sessions. The doctors had to try various forms of therapy until they found what would work for me, but as a result it was definitely useful.

Contrast that with what happened second time around when it became evident that Citalopram had "pooped out" on me in December 2017: I would have had to refer myself and, if I was accepted after an initial screening process, the wait would have been between 9 and 12 months. So I didn't bother.

If I'd answered the questions as posed it'd have sounded like I'd got talking therapy almost immediately: there was no way for me to explain that it happened 18 years ago, before the government decimated the mental health services.

1999 - 2001: Paroxetine 20mg, 2003: Venlafaxine 75mg, 2003 - 2014: Escitalopram 20mg

1999 - December 2017: Lansoprazole 15mg

2014 - December 2017: Citalopram 20mg

December 2017: Mirtazapine 30mg, stopped after 4 days due to immediate bad reaction, Zopiclone 3.75mg, stopped after 2 days due to immediate bad reaction

January 2018 - April 2018: Citalopram liquid, tapering, final dose 0.1mg

December 2018 onwards: Vitamin C 1000mg

October 2021: Loratadine 10mg for 6 days (23/10 to 28/10)

Long term (for asthma): Salbutamol and Salmeterol inhalers, Salmeterol stopped March 2021 due to migraine headaches

Occasional use for headaches: Paracetamol 40mg or Ibuprofen 40mg

4th December 2021: Eustachian tube infection: Amoxicillin 500mg 3 per day for 5 days, Dexamethasone & Neomycin ear spray 3 per day for 1 week, Beclometasone nasal spray 2 per day for 2 weeks.

Thank you for your responses! Apologies if the survey is a bit limiting - I appreciate it's hard to capture the variety of experiences in this way

• Moderator Emeritus

Last chance to complete this survey.