LivR

UK Survey - last day 31st May - for those that have taken antidepressants in the UK

LivR
Posted (edited)

Hi, I am a journalist investigating a subject very close to my heart - the withdrawal side effects of coming off antidepressants. I have created a survey and it would be great if forum members could fill it in. All results are anonymous and this would hugely benefit my investigation. Thanks in advance! 

Link to survey:  https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1gOvUYqDEagcchhAq0nITYYh0kpvbdIIM496-rCtrxjw/viewform?edit_requested=true

Edited by ChessieCat
fixed link

LivR

Some further background on the survey -

I am a journalism masters student at City, University of London and I am hoping to use the results of this survey as part of a wider article exploring antidepressant withdrawal and alternative therapies. I am also interviewing case studies. I am hoping to pitch the article to a national publication once it is finished.

Thanks again for your help! Sometimes collecting your own data is the best way to understand and tackle a subject as complex as mental health.

ChessieCat

Hi Liv,

I'm just wondering if you are getting responses to your survey.

LivR

They’re going up slowly! It could do with another push 😊

thecowisback

just done ☺

ChessieCat

Hi Liv,

Q:  What is the last date that the survey can be completed?

I've created a new topic in the Introduction forum which will hopefully get more attention.

uk-survey

LivR

Last date is 31st May - thank you!! 

Mole25
Posted (edited)

Hallo LivR,

Your question survey was OK, but did not leave any space for individuals to express themselves. 

Withdrawal can take even more than 1,5 years (protracted) CBT does not always help as some emotional reactions are not even controllable - 

I am just starting to get the so-called "windows" (good times)  and this is after 1 year and 7 months after  I reached  0 amount of medication.  I tapered extremely slowly (only took 20 mg Citralopram for 3 months) as recommended but netherless I had extreme withdrawal symptoms.

Regarding the mismanagement and the increasing level of prescriptions of ADs, Benzo & Co. I have been on German TV as a reporter wanted to make this known on German TV -

It is the same problem over here in Germany. Even your dentist can prescribe ADs. Unbelievable.

But even worse, you can not find a doctor who believes you that you have withdrawal symptons, let alone help you. I feel alone with my pain.

I wish you success with your survey.

But one step more - we need a way out - a solution and practicle help for people. We need not only to describe and acknowledge withdrawal symptoms, this has been done  in England lately - but we should strive to achieve  an international group of experienced doctors and holistic persons to actively work together to help people who are suffering because of prescription drugs.

Mole

Edited by Mole25
wrong words

AlanC

I've completed the survey, but the questions on talking therapy presented a problem.

During my first bout of depression in 1999 - 2001 I was referred for talking therapy. There was a 4 week wait and I had about 4 months worth of sessions. The doctors had to try various forms of therapy until they found what would work for me, but as a result it was definitely useful.

Contrast that with what happened second time around when it became evident that Citalopram had "pooped out" on me in December 2017: I would have had to refer myself and, if I was accepted after an initial screening process, the wait would have been between 9 and 12 months. So I didn't bother.

If I'd answered the questions as posed it'd have sounded like I'd got talking therapy almost immediately: there was no way for me to explain that it happened 18 years ago, before the government decimated the mental health services.

LivR

Thank you for your responses! Apologies if the survey is a bit limiting - I appreciate it's hard to capture the variety of experiences in this way

ChessieCat

Last chance to complete this survey.