Mikegs96: is there any hope for me after many years of being on psych meds since I was 11

Mikegs96

• Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Can withdrawal affect hormone levels? Because I had my blood drawn by my primary doctor and he said my testosterone levels look low for someone my age. But then I got it again it was closer to normal.

Drugs I have been on- Vyvanse 30mg, Adderal, citalopram 30mg, Zoloft 20mg, rexulti 10mg,Wellbutrin, Lexapro 20mg, buspar, Prozac 20mg, Trazodone 50mg, Ritalin 20mg.

some of them I can't remember doses for. 

was on on Zoloft, Ritalin, and adderal between the ages of 11-13. Then I was on Celexa and Vyvanse, between the ages of 13-21. Don't remember exact dates. 

Then when I went off the celexa and Vyvanse abruptly and went on all of the other medications. Between the ages of 21 and 22. 

I saw psychiatrist for about 3 months and was put on most of them on and off. I think it was the other SSRI's besides celexa and Zoloft , buspar, Wellbutrin, and rexulti. 

Then I went inpatient a few times after that where it was diagnosed as a recurrence of depression and went on and off medications like celexa, Trazodone, and most recently about 3-4 weeks ago EMSam. I have been completely off medication since than.

supplements- magnesium 250mg, and 2 omega 3's. 

On 5/29/2019 at 4:29 AM, Mikegs96 said:

Can withdrawal affect hormone levels? Because I had my blood drawn by my primary doctor and he said my testosterone levels look low for someone my age. But then I got it again it was closer to normal.

@ChessieCat

Drugs I have been on- Vyvanse 30mg, Adderal, citalopram 30mg, Zoloft 20mg, rexulti 10mg,Wellbutrin, Lexapro 20mg, buspar, Prozac 20mg, Trazodone 50mg, Ritalin 20mg.

was on on Zoloft, Ritalin, and adderal between the ages of 11-13. Then I was on Celexa and Vyvanse, between the ages of 13-21. Don't remember exact dates. 

Then when I went off the celexa and Vyvanse abruptly and went on all of the other medications. Between the ages of 21 and 22. 

I saw psychiatrist for about 3 months and was put on most of them on and off. I think it was the other SSRI's besides celexa and Zoloft , buspar, Wellbutrin, and rexulti. 

Then I went inpatient a few times after that where it was diagnosed as a recurrence of depression and went on and off medications like celexa, Trazodone, and most recently about 3-4 weeks ago EMSam. I have been completely off medication since than.

Update

I stopped having dreams. So I'm wondering if that means I'm not healing again. Also I tried searching to see if withdrawal can affect hormone levels and couldn't find anything. 

So I'm just wondering if withdrawal can affect testosterone levels? Because I had my blood drawn and was told they are low for someone my age. 

Am I really going to be ok eventually? Because I was reading something online from a website Kelly brogan told me to go to. 

It pretty much says that the changes made to my brain are irreversible from being on ADHD meds and anti-depressants. Since my brain developed around neurotoxic drugs.

the article mainly focuses on ADHD drugs being prescribed to children. Is my brain actually permanently damaged from being on stimulants ?

this is the article.

https://breggin.com/childrens-page/

also is there a recommended dosage for the magnesium? Because I still have bad akathesia and feel very restless.

• 3 weeks later...

So I ended up in a psych ER for the night because of an argument I got into with someone. 

They told me that I either take the seroquel to sleep for the night or they would give me an injection.

Does anyone think that set me back a lot and that it will take longer to recover?

Also if I only took 50mg's for that one night, do I still have to taper?

• 4 weeks later...

So I emailed this one psychiatrist that acknowledges antidepressant withdrawals. I think his name was Stuart Shipko. I decided to ask him if he thinks I can recover even though I was on these drugs while my brain was developing and how long he thinks it will take. 

I ended up getting a response from him this morning. This is what he told me.

"Sorry to hear about your situation.  I don't have an answer for you, as there is not enough data/research on the subject.  Outcomes are highly variable.  Good luck to you."

Anyone have any opinions on this? It's hard to stay hopeful. Especially when I get answers like this. 

• Moderator Emeritus
37 minutes ago, Mikegs96 said:

I decided to ask him if he thinks I can recover even though I was on these drugs while my brain was developing and how long he thinks it will take. 

The situation you describe, whether children who were drugged (i.e., when their brains were still still developing) could recover has come up a number of times on this site.  Moderators here were able to point to several examples (sorry, I don't have the specific stories) of full recovery.  The moderators noted that it was often necessary for those drugged as children to develop

non-drug techniques to cope with life since they hadn't had a chance to develop them in their formative drugged years.

Non-drug techniques to cope

As to how long it will take, it is impossible to say.  The following link can be read as "hard medicine" but is ultimately hopeful in its message that we all do eventually recover.  This would be equally applicable to those drugged as children.

How Long Is Withdrawal Going to Take? (this post - see below)

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

8 minutes ago, Gridley said:

The situation you describe, whether children who were drugged (i.e., when their brains were still still developing) could recover has come up a number of times on this site.  Moderators here were able to point to several examples (sorry, I don't have the specific stories) of full recovery.  The moderators noted that it was often necessary for those drugged as children to develop

non-drug techniques to cope with life since they hadn't had a chance to develop them in their formative drugged years.

Non-drug techniques to cope

As to how long it will take, it is impossible to say.  The following link can be read as "hard medicine" but is ultimately hopeful in its message that we all do eventually recover.  This would be equally applicable to those drugged as children.

How Long Is Withdrawal Going to Take? (this post - see below)

Thanks. Have you ever heard of Stuart Shipko? 

I think I remember reading a topic about him in the past. He has a lot of articles on madinamerica.com I think. 

So time is the only answer for my symptoms to go away I guess? I've tried supplements, but they don't help much.

• Moderator Emeritus
29 minutes ago, Mikegs96 said:

So time is the only answer for my symptoms to go away

Yes, time is the cure.

SA's approach--that it is possible to successfully taper after long-term AD use--resonates with me much more than Dr. Shipko's less optimistic view.  This is based on my personal experience and others' experience.   (I've been on Imipramine for 33 years and have cut my dosage by 2/3; I've been on Lexapro for 15 years and have tapered from 20mg to 2.3mg and am functioning).

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

2 hours ago, Gridley said:

Yes, time is the cure.

SA's approach--that it is possible to successfully taper after long-term AD use--resonates with me much more than Dr. Shipko's less optimistic view.  This is based on my personal experience and others' experience.   (I've been on Imipramine for 33 years and have cut my dosage by 2/3; I've been on Lexapro for 15 years and have tapered from 20mg to 2.3mg and am functioning).

I guess I should just try to have a more positive mindset and avoids sites that have say you can never recover. Do you still think it's possible for me even though I cold turkeyed most of my meds? Someone told me that I might recover faster since I'm young. I'm 22. Don't know if it's true or not though.

I've seen a couple success stories where they recovered even after quitting cold turkey. I think it was pugs and Ethanc's story's. 

For the most part, people here have been really supportive and believe I can eventually recover completely. Even though I was on the drugs as a child and a teenager.

some symptoms have improved. Mainly just my sleep and the derealization. I'm getting about 3 hours a night. I'm probably going to get a sleep tracker to monitor the exact amount. I'm hoping that within a year I will be back to getting 6 hours of sleep and can start working again.

Dr. Shipko seems a little more optimistic in this article. https://www.madinamerica.com/2015/09/shooting-the-odds-part-iii/

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Mikegs96 said:

Do you still think it's possible for me even though I cold turkeyed most of my meds? Someone told me that I might recover faster since I'm young. I'm 22. Don't know if it's true or not though.

Your youth is a great advantage.

It is definitely advisable to avoid sites that say you can never recover.  You don't need to be dealing with that kind of negativity.

Yes, I think you will recover.  You mentioned Pug and EthanC, both of whom CT'd.    Shep, one of our administrators, CT'd or fast-tapered many drugs back in 2015 and is doing very well.  The evidence is strongly in your favor that you will recover, regardless of CT or being drugged as a child.  The fact that you're seeing some improvements is an excellent indicator of eventual recovery.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

• ChessieCat changed the title to Mikegs96: is there any hope for me after many years of being on psych meds since I was 11
On 5/13/2019 at 10:46 PM, Gridley said:

Your continuing symptoms, such as insomnia, derealization nd anhedonia are attributable to continuing withdrawal from the Celexa

Never experienced these symptoms until I practically CTed off citalopram. You will see the same set of symptoms reported over and over and over. 

For me, this confirmed it was WD.

there is always hope

1999:  Paroxetine (20mg). Age 16. 2007-2008: Fluoxetine (Prozac) for 1.5 years (age 25) Citalopram 20mg 2002-2005, 2009: Escitalopram (20mg), 2 weeks, (age 26) (adverse  reaction)/*Valium 5mg/Temazepam 10mg 2010: Mirtazipine (Remeron)( do not remember dosage) 2010, 5 months.                     2010-2017: Citalopram (20mg) (age 27 to 34) 2016: i.1st Sept- 31st Oct Citalopram 10mg , ii.1st November 2017-30th November 2017, Citalopram 5mg iii.1st December 2017- 4th February 2018, Citalopram 0mg, iv.5th February 2018- March 2018 Citalopram 5mg (10mg every other day) 28th February- tried titration of 5mg ( some adverse effects)

2018: 1st March 2018- 1st June Citalopram 10 mg (tablet form) /started titration 8mg , then 7 mg.2018: June 15th- 10th July Citalopram 10 mg pill every other day 2018: 10th July - 13th Sept Citalopram- 0mg  (CBD oil first month of 0mg, passiflora on and off) 2018 13th Sept Citalopram  2mg ,  approx 16th Sept 4mg , approx 25th Sept 6mg held.  2019: 11 Feb 19: 7mg (instant bad rxn) 12 Feb 19 6mg held 1 May 19 5.4mg held 5 Oct 19 5.36mg 22 Oct 19 5.29mg 30 Oct 19 5.23mg 4/NOV/19 5.18mg 12 Nov 19 5.08mg 20 Nov 19 4.77mg 7 May 22 2.31mg 17/09/2023 0.8mg

(Herbal/Supplements since 1st September: Omega Fish Oil 1200mg, 663mg of EPA- 2 tablets a day, magnesium and magnesium bath salts)

I did not die, and yet I lost life’s breath
- Dante
  • 2 weeks later...

If I take melatonin and magnesium for sleep for awhile. Do I have to taper either of them? since they're dietary supplements. 

• Moderator Emeritus

36 minutes ago, Mikegs96 said:

If I take melatonin and magnesium for sleep for awhile. Do I have to taper either of them? since they're dietary supplements. 

it's almost always better to taper off psychoactive substances than discontinue from a regular dose to 0 in a single large decrease. It doesn't have to be a lengthy taper, but it'll likely easier on your system if you do a bit of a taper.

If you decide to stop taking them, taper one at a time.

The 3mg melatonin you mentioned in an earlier post is pretty high.  Is it still working for you?  If not, you might want to ease down on the dosage.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

10 minutes ago, Gridley said:

it's almost always better to taper off psychoactive substances than discontinue from a regular dose to 0 in a single large decrease. It doesn't have to be a lengthy taper, but it'll likely easier on your system if you do a bit of a taper.

If you decide to stop taking them, taper one at a time.

The 3mg melatonin you mentioned in an earlier post is pretty high.  Is it still working for you?  If not, you might want to ease down on the dosage.

I decided to take 1mg instead. I ordered the magnesium off of amazon and am going to try that to help with sleep. I don't understand why you would have to taper the magnesium. since it's a dietary supplement, isn't it something naturally found in foods?

I figured maybe it's better to try a lower dose of melatonin instead, and try the magnesium with it. this is the magnesium I ordered. https://www.amazon.com/Doctors-Best-Absorption-Magnesium-Glycinate/dp/B000BD0RT0/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=doctors+best+magnesium&qid=1564702389&s=gateway&sr=8-3

I guess with the melatonin, if I want to stop it completely eventually I will just cut the 1mg tablet in half

Right now the only supplements I'm taking is a Centrum multivitamin,  a Vitamin D supplement, and 1mg of melatonin.

I don't think I would have to taper the first two.

• Moderator Emeritus
1 minute ago, Mikegs96 said:

don't understand why you would have to taper the magnesium.

Magnesium is naturally found in food but not in the doses supplied by supplements.  It has a calming effect and is thus psychoactive.  It might be fine to just stop it.  We don't know.  We do know that when in withdrawal our systems are much more sensitive. That's why I suggested tapering a bit so as to take no chances.

Magnesium glycinate is an excellent form of magnesium.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Is CBD safe to use during withdrawals? I just took some a few minutes ago to see if it could help with insomnia?

• Moderator Emeritus

There are many existing topics on this site.  I like to use google and add survivingantidepressants.org to my search term.

It's a good idea to search the site for other members' experiences before trying something new.

cannabis-marijuana-thc-and-cbd-or-hemp-oil

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• 2 months later...

I got myself into a situation that got me involuntarily committed into a psych hospital. I ended up taking 6-7 doses of Remeron. Should I taper? And did it set me back much? I took a few doses at 7.5mg, 15mg, and 1 dose at 30mg 

• 1 month later...

Are vivid wet dreams normal during withdrawals? Because I started having them

Vivid dreams in general are fairly common during WD. They can range from the mundane to the highly erotic.  Some people find the reality of them to be rather frightening, not being able to distinguish them from reality.  However there is usually something just a little off about them that can give it away that they are just a dream. I had a few nightmare ones that were pretty upsetting, but for the most part I rather enjoyed them, and as you mentioned some of them were quite hot.  As a taper progresses the do tend to fade in frequency and intensity.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

33 minutes ago, brassmonkey said:

Vivid dreams in general are fairly common during WD. They can range from the mundane to the highly erotic.  Some people find the reality of them to be rather frightening, not being able to distinguish them from reality.  However there is usually something just a little off about them that can give it away that they are just a dream. I had a few nightmare ones that were pretty upsetting, but for the most part I rather enjoyed them, and as you mentioned some of them were quite hot.  As a taper progresses the do tend to fade in frequency and intensity.

Ok. Maybe the dreams are from me stopping mirtazapine after a week of taking it in a hospital. I got myself in a situation that got me in a psych ward. I took it a 7.5mg, 15, and 30mg when I was there. My symptoms are now worse. But I'm told that I can still recover even though I went on that medication and quit it cold turkey.

• 1 month later...

Is it ok to take two nyquils each night to help with sleep? 

• 1 month later...

Hello mike how are you doing ? 

(14 years old)2014-2015 {Prozac,ritalin and concerta} 

2015-2016 {Prozac changed to Zoloft 100 mg kept taking ritalin and concerta occasionaly}

2017-2018 {CTed Zoloft began taking a lot of concerta(72mg sometimes 144mg a day) and ritalin}

2018-sept of 2018 {CT'ed concerta and ritalin.Started Zoloft 50 mg 

sept of 2018-sept 2019 {CT'ed Zoloft. 3 months later after 3 weed usages(my first times) hell started.}

sept 2019- {reinstate 25 mg Zoloft huge derealization and neck numbness and had an attack at night went to ER.Used ativan couple times. Week later cipralex (Lexapro) 12,5 given .Had huge brain shakes and restlessness.Ativan used.No drugs being used  right now.}

Supplements: Nothing

• 1 year later...

Hello, it’s been awhile since I posted anything on here. but I feel like I’m gradually getting better. I’ve been taking 2mg of REMfresh every night and it helps me fall asleep faster. (Extended release melatonin). 

only problem is that I have trouble staying asleep and usually wake up in the middle of the night. has anyone here ever heard of the supplement called Relaxium? I’ve been thinking about trying it to help me stay asleep. but I have no idea if it’s safe. these are the ingredients. (100mg of Magnesium, a blend of the two herbs Valerian root

and hops at 228.9mg, 125mg of Ashwagandha, 100mg of GABA, 75mg of chamomile, 75mg of passionflower, and 5mg of melatonin ).

• Moderator Emeritus

SA generally suggestions only try one thing at a time.  If you take a supplement with multiple ingredients and you have a bad reaction to it you will not know what is causing the issue.

There are many existing topics/discussions about the ingredients in the supplement.

Do a search for each individual ingredient, ie one at a time.  Use a search engine and add site:survivingantidepressants.org to the search term.

There are 2 or 3 ingredients that I would not be taking.  Please do your own research to find out more about them.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'd also be trying non drug techniques:

Sleep problems - that awful withdrawal insomnia

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/25/2021 at 2:10 PM, Mikegs96 said:

Hello, it’s been awhile since I posted anything on here. but I feel like I’m gradually getting better. I’ve been taking 2mg of REMfresh every night and it helps me fall asleep faster. (Extended release melatonin). 

only problem is that I have trouble staying asleep and usually wake up in the middle of the night. has anyone here ever heard of the supplement called Relaxium? I’ve been thinking about trying it to help me stay asleep. but I have no idea if it’s safe. these are the ingredients. (100mg of Magnesium, a blend of the two herbs Valerian root

and hops at 228.9mg, 125mg of Ashwagandha, 100mg of GABA, 75mg of chamomile, 75mg of passionflower, and 5mg of melatonin ).

The only thing that ever worked for me for long sleep was melatonin by itself, but in a little lower dose than that. The brand Designs for Health makes a really good one. I would only take half of it, I think that's 3mg total. It's extended release so you won't wake up in the middle of the night from it

2001-2011 Zoloft up to 150mg

2011-2013 celexa up to 40mg

2013-2014-begin reducing celexa to 20mg 

2014-2016-on and off celexa up to 30mg

2017- Zoloft up to 150mg

may 2018-cold turkey Zoloft