Hello,

My Achilles tendon of the left leg hurts a lot (the one of the right leg only a little). I've been trying to avoid impact, warm up well before exercising and apply heat (cold worsens the situation), but the pain is getting worse. I can not even walk without limping!

I'm almost reaching 50% of my initial dose of 150mg venlafaxine (Effexor) and somewhere around the 40% I started having muscle and joint pain. During my withdrawal from benzodiazepine last year, this type of pain was my main problem. At one point I became bedridden. Will it be the same with the antidepressant? I'm very scared!

In particular, I don't know what to do in relation to my Achilles tendon pain. Should I see a doctor? I am sure he/she will prescribe a bunch of medication, muscle relaxants, etc. that I do not want and can not take, and perhaps some useless and time consuming physical therapy.

Has anyone had this kind of problem? What did you do?

Thank you for your ideas!

Antidepressants - Effexor 150mg since April 2015 (previously Dumyrox 50mg during  8.5 years). Started tapering on Jan 2019. Jumped at 5mg on Sep 3, 2020. Feeling OK with some joint pain.

Benzodiazepine - Ativan 1mg daily during 18 years. Started tapering Sep 2017. Benzo free since Sep 2018. Recurrent and often intense muscle and joint pain during the taper, particularly during the first half.

Hey @magnesi,

I used to get a similar pain but it was on both of my Achilles. Running at a fast pace/long distance would aggravate them and I could barely put any pressure on my legs afterward, as the pain would be pretty brutal. What helped me was looking up videos on YouTube on stretching and increasing mobility on my calves/ Achilles. 

Adepsique: January 2016 - July 2016 (took half a pill in the mornings for 6 months) the dosage was 5 mg of amitriptyline, 1.5 mg of diazepam, and 1 mg of perphenazine 

Escitalopram: 10 mg: July 2016 - April 2018

Olanzapine 2.5mg: July 2016 - October 2017

1 hour ago, readyfortheworld said:

Hey @magnesi,

I used to get a similar pain but it was on both of my Achilles. Running at a fast pace/long distance would aggravate them and I could barely put any pressure on my legs afterward, as the pain would be pretty brutal. What helped me was looking up videos on YouTube on stretching and increasing mobility on my calves/ Achilles. 

Thank you readyfortheworld!

I never know weather I should to endure the pain or avoid it. I'm afraid I'll get a serious injury if I go on ignoring it, but I really need to exercise to cope with withdrawal.

Antidepressants - Effexor 150mg since April 2015 (previously Dumyrox 50mg during  8.5 years). Started tapering on Jan 2019. Jumped at 5mg on Sep 3, 2020. Feeling OK with some joint pain.

Benzodiazepine - Ativan 1mg daily during 18 years. Started tapering Sep 2017. Benzo free since Sep 2018. Recurrent and often intense muscle and joint pain during the taper, particularly during the first half.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy