Tweet

What to do? My husband triggers me.

Tweet

Hi all! My husband has tourettes(poor guy) and is constantly in motion. He taps, snores, tics, sings disjointed melodies even while eating, clears his throat loudly and yawns  loudly constantly through the day. He snores to beat the band all night. I have always been on the irritable side, so this had always been bothersome. Guess  the good Lord has a sense of humor.  He can't help it, but it is driving me insane, especially if I am having the crazy anxiety like I have been. Any suggestions for coping? My anxiety kicks in bad whenever he comes in.

It also adds to the resentment from past issues in our marriage where he has been inconsiderate. We are in counseling too. Dealing with all this at once.  live in 350 SQ. Ft. No room to get away. 

Earplugs don't work, just avoiding him and acting snappy.

Thanks for any help.

powerback

The key is to Acknowledge its a ramp up of symptoms and its not personal to your husband .Do you have a tablet and maybe listen to programmes or music ,because distraction is the key in this situation ,I've had it and do have it very bad .I wear earplugs and ear defenders  and a lot of the time I wear small ear buds under my ear defenders because some one  talking on the phone can irritate me to bonkers levels .

It would be great if  we could be snappy but sadly it doesn't work like that ,the more your husband understands and learns about what your going through the better for your situation .

Its a nightmare that's for sure ,you will keep having to distract when its bad .

Peace.

Tweet

You are right, Power back. Being snappy isn't a plan. It produces guilt which then results in depression. So tired of this crazy cycle. I am going to try to distract myself with my tablet, etc. as you suggest.  I will hope he will continue to be patient. Thoughts so much control the way we feel!

Ryder

Even if you weren't on meds, i think if I had a dollar for everytime my Brother, Mother etc etc says something. That's just family wanting the best for you but saying probably the wrong way.