Propofol treatment for "treatment resistant depression"

manymoretodays

• Moderator Emeritus

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2019/04/21/utahs-queen-mommy/

"Armstrong's memoir,  "The Valedictorian of Being Dead:  The True Story of Dying Ten Times to Live" recounts the experimental treatments during which doctors at the University of Utah repeatedly administered high doses of anesthesia to nearly flatline the Salt Lake City author and "reboot" her brain."

"It was very validating in the sense that I had been so sick, and my brain had been so diseased it had convinced me that life was not worth living."

(from the article)

Recent newspaper article about propofol treatment for "treatment resistant depression".

Pretty intense treatment overall.  Still experimental.  They are comparing it to ECT treatment here:  " Previous research at the U. indicated deep levels of other types of anesthesia could come closer to replicating the effects of electroshock therapy (ECT), which is considered the most effective treatment for depression, said Brian Mickey, associate professor of psychiatry at University of Utah Health and the lead researcher on the pilot study on propofol.

It's not clear why ECT improves mood disorders, Mickey said............"

Yikes, personally.......ECT scares me.  I've never had it.  And have heard from some who were glad they had it........others, not so much.

And although, I don't, personally subscribe to the "disease" model for depression, and other diagnoses of MI.......just the same, this was an interesting article, although it gave me chills(kind of fear chills, worry chills).   And she does mention situational factors to her illness state in the article.

Of course I hope it has staying power for this woman, and she remains free of her depression. 

I suppose she might be eligible for further treatments if not?

I am, for one, really interested in how she does as time goes on.  The long term outcomes of this.  Both as to whether she needs repeated treatments, and to whether it(the treatment with Propofol) has any long lasting adverse side effects.

" Of the six who responded to the propofol treatments, five saw the results continue for at least three months, Mickey said." (from the article)

I couldn't find how many were enrolled in this study, so I don't know how many may not have responded.

Looked at this article again and 10 were enrolled.  10 enrolled, 5 with response lasting for at least three months.

No mentions of previous medication/drug trials.  Nor any light given to WD aspects of previous medication/drug trials.  Oh well.......tis what it tis at this point in time.  Chills again!

I wish her well. 

Edited by manymoretodays
another edit, included further information, from article

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• manymoretodays changed the title to Propofol treatment for "treatment resistant depression"

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy