nervouspace: anyone else recover from large dose antipsychotics?

nervouspace

Hey everyone thanks for reading. I was wondering if anyone recovered from large doses of antipsychotics.

I was put on 4mg risperidone from November until about 2 weeks ago I stopped taking it here in May. I was also on the largest dose of abilify for a couple weeks.

I've been extremely messed up since November and I have pain in my body,heart I'm completely non functional, unemployed now and I have pressure/pain in the side of my head.

It's hard to explain how awful I feel and lifeless I am now. I was put on such a high dose because I got drunk one night started hearing voices and made the mistake of going to the hospital. They diagnosed me with schizophrenia but the voices went away a month ago and I wish I just would've kept it to myself instead of getting treatment for it. 

Are there any other high dose antipsychotic quitters out there? Do you think I will get better? I miss working and having a normal life/feeling normal. 

Risperidone 4mg November 2018 - May 2019

Abilify 2 weeks highest dose

Also I'm very scared that I might go to the hospital for a heart attack or something when I'm older and they inject me with antipsychotics because now my medical records say I have schizophrenia 😟 and how would they know what meds I'm on if I'm having a heart attack for example.

• ChessieCat changed the title to nervouspace: Anyone else recover from large dose antipsychotics?
  • Moderator Emeritus
9 hours ago, nervouspace said:

I was wondering if anyone recovered from large doses of antipsychotics.

Hello, nervouspace, and welcome to SA.

Yes, you can recover.  Here are some encouraging threads about people who recovered from risperidone.  

CharlieBrown's success story of recovery from risperidone

risperdalhater I recovered from risperdal aka risperidone - Success ...

Please add a signature.  Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 
  • Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Please research all supplements first and only add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

This is your Introduction thread, where you can ask questions and connect with other members. I'm glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Hey all It's been three weeks since I've been completely off risperidone. So far I think I'm doing much better I have horrible heart palpitations, head pain and anxiety also its really hard to wake up before noon but at least I'm sleeping. I'm still really worried about my misdiagnosis of schizophrenia and getting injected at the hospital having going there for another medical issue

Thanks

-John 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Mentor

Hello! I just checked this site and saw, that I was mentioned. With the search engine.
Wow 4Mg, that is a lot. All of a sudden. I wish Dr.'s would be more careful with these drugs. Often they have not taken them, they do not know the power of them.

I am glad you are feeling better! There may be ups and downs. Keep on through them. There is healing and recovery in the future.

Being able to achieve a restful sleep is excellent. It's "normal" to have these physical issues you are experiencing. Risperidone changes the way dopamine flows through your body. Dopamine is a pro-drug of nor-epinephrine (Adrenaline)… Which directly controls the speed of the beat of your heart. It has an effect on your blood pressure. (Headaches), and anxiety comes from many places. But when coming off medications anxiety is very common. In time your body will come back INTO balance.

As for your medical concerns. Depending on the country you live in they often have a federal medical record since your birth. Heart attacks can be physically identified in the emergency room. That is why when you go to the hospital saying "I'm having a heart attack!" They quickly check blood pressure and many other elements that I cannot explain properly because I am not a Dr. or Nurse. Often it is said you are having a panic attack. From my knowledge, when you have a heart attack you collapse and cannot function, in most cases. (again not a Dr.)

As I know the law, here in Canada. If you are a danger to yourself or others, your rights are void. Keeping a calm mind is important. When you are deemed "In your right mind." Although in distress, you have the choice of being medicated.

Misdiagnosis is not uncommon and can be corrected, "crossed off" from your medical record. But it must be approved by your current physician. Again this is my knowledge of Canadian law. It could be slightly incorrect, but this has been my experience speaking to Social workers, G.P.'s, Psychologists, Psychiatrists, Police and EMT's. I would recommend looking into whatever laws apply in your nation.

Bless you, and Take care!

Edit: A quick note, I tried a few supplements and found them to be ineffective. Often causing more trouble. 5-HTP was NO GOOD for me. Second note, even during my encounters with police, I have never been forced drugs. With the one occasion of my suicide attempt while on Risperidone. Other than that every drug I have taken has been with my consent. Unfortunately I know a few people personally who have been injected against their will in other countries because they were deemed, "A danger to themselves, or others." So keeping a sound mind is important. I would recommend that you don't ALWAYS share suicidal thoughts with a medical professional. Not in the emergency room. That will lead to being drugged against your will.

But please do share your thoughts with others who truly care for your wellbeing. I have told many Dr.'s, I was suicidal. But whenever I gave them my reason for living. (Family, love for my Mother, the desire to never see a parent bury their child.) They would trust me, because I was genuine, and not force anything on me except the help they could offer.

I Am Not A Medical Professional! 👨‍⚕️

Prescribed Various SSRI's/SNRI, Benzos and One Anti-Psychotic at 16, in 2009.

Fluoxetine 10mg - 1 Month. Switch to Venlafaxine 75-150mg for 3-5 months. Switch to Sertraline 50-100mg for 6-9 months. Risperidone added. (Suicide attempt, Akathisia) Cold turkey. Eventual taper of Sertraline.

Clonazepam 0.5mg 1X daily for 1 month, as I switched from Venlafaxine to Sertraline. About 3 months of Sertraline with no improvement, Risperidone was added @ 0.25mg-0.5mg for one week. Then raised to 0.75 and 1mg after another week. With 100mg Sertraline daily. Then raised to 1.5Mg after a check-up.

Sudden stop of Risperidone. After suicide attempt.

A self-taper, because I didn't trust doctors. Removing Sertraline XR beads from 100mg capsules, over 5-9 months. Which I would consider too hasty, in retrospect. I am recovered from all medication side effects!

My success story: 

I have taken many prescriptions/drugs, with/without a script. Most any prescription/illicit/grey market drug type. Searching for relief from/as, anxiety/Sleep-aids. All drugs are long ago. By God's will, I will stop smoking.

He's saved me more than once.

• ChessieCat changed the title to nervouspace: anyone else recover from large dose antipsychotics?

Hey Charlie thanks for the reply! It means a lot although at the same time it was hard for me to get back on these forums. I'm right now just trying to forget about the 

whole ordeal. When I was cleaning out my car today I found a bottle of 3mg risperidone in my glove compartment and it made me really sad. It's hard moving on after taking the horrible drug and going through the withdrawals and all the awful things and feelings that have happened since falling into the Doctor given medication/murder trap. 

The last 8 months for me has been a nightmare and I am already recovering I think. I've been enjoying beer regularly and for the most part doing the things that I would do before getting caught up in this mess. I remember the days of suffering unable to do anything but watch a tv show with my mom wondering if I'll even be functional again. I really think Doctors are morons now for giving people disgusting lab chemicals at the first jump for any "problem" that person may be experiencing. Oh well I learned my lesson and will never go to the Doctors ever again. Right now I feel mostly normal again but I have a very messed up sleep schedule so it's hard to get restful sleep but I'm working on it. Thanks again for your reply it does mean a lot to me. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Mentor

I can understand that, I have 23, now 24 posts after years on this site. It is best to put it behind you and move on. That is why my comment is so late, Sorry!

"The bright side" comes out easier, when you aren't bogged down by thoughts of medication side-effects. At the same time you can't hide them away. (Bottle your feelings up)

In time, many memories will fade, if you let them. But just like harboring hate or revenge upon someone, even yourself. Leads to pain. It's good to "Just forget."

"Let go Luke!" Oops, if you don't like the Original Star Wars. A little humor never hurt, I am just quoting the movie. Not telling you what to do!

8 Months and already feeling slightly better? That's excellent. I like to drink. It's part of my local/historical culture... But it's really bad. Just sayin' I mean, I'm no better, but it is a "CNS Depressant." I have no idea how much or how often you are drinking. I am just waving a flag of caution. I in the past, and many I know have gone way overboard.

I was "Bed-Ridden" on and off for years. Wishing for normality. Many Dr.s are "just ignorant" of the power of the drugs, they hand out with a flick of the wrist. Most do not take them. In Canada you can't be a psychiatrist if you have been diagnosed with certain disorders. 

Dr.s' serve some purpose, although Psychiatry seems to be completely bogus! From my point of view. I have had much better experiences with Psychologists. Never pushing drugs, only talking and finding the root of certain mental issues. (Like why I would be paranoid about what everyone thinks) In Canada, having a regular Dr. (G.P.) is great, when you have bad pain you can get extra-strength NSAIDS like Ketorolac. When you have an eye, ear, nose or throat infection it is easily cured with Penicillin or more likely its cousins.

In time your sleep will normalize. As you may know Risperidone interacts with Dopamine, Nor-epinephrine and Serotonin. All effect sleep. Dopamine and Nor-ephedrine being related to energy, pleasure and more... as well as Serotonin. Sun set causes Melatonin and Sunrise causes Serotonin. Risperidone mucks that all up. Give it some time and your body will adjust!

You're welcome "NervouSpace" … I know you will get better.

I Am Not A Medical Professional! 👨‍⚕️

Prescribed Various SSRI's/SNRI, Benzos and One Anti-Psychotic at 16, in 2009.

Fluoxetine 10mg - 1 Month. Switch to Venlafaxine 75-150mg for 3-5 months. Switch to Sertraline 50-100mg for 6-9 months. Risperidone added. (Suicide attempt, Akathisia) Cold turkey. Eventual taper of Sertraline.

Clonazepam 0.5mg 1X daily for 1 month, as I switched from Venlafaxine to Sertraline. About 3 months of Sertraline with no improvement, Risperidone was added @ 0.25mg-0.5mg for one week. Then raised to 0.75 and 1mg after another week. With 100mg Sertraline daily. Then raised to 1.5Mg after a check-up.

Sudden stop of Risperidone. After suicide attempt.

A self-taper, because I didn't trust doctors. Removing Sertraline XR beads from 100mg capsules, over 5-9 months. Which I would consider too hasty, in retrospect. I am recovered from all medication side effects!

My success story: 

I have taken many prescriptions/drugs, with/without a script. Most any prescription/illicit/grey market drug type. Searching for relief from/as, anxiety/Sleep-aids. All drugs are long ago. By God's will, I will stop smoking.

He's saved me more than once.

Hello charliebrown,

I completely disagree with lettingbthings go and forgetting them. Yes, it makes our life easier but that's just what psychiatrists want us to do. To forget. Then they will continue to behave as they do and others will be treated in the same way. In fact it's ok if you recover from antipsychotics but what if you don't? I have undiagnosed tardive dyskenesia and NO ONE, absolutely no one lifted a finger in the medical establishment to ask questions  ...or give me test....I've Has to put the info to them and even then climbed hurdles...i had to convince my GP to refer me to a neurologist but she only did that after my psychiatrist.(.after much insistence from me)asked the GP to investigate my tics and spasms on my face....it has taken me 5 years for anything to move in a direction. I recently had an EEG test and will be having an MRI scan. I had memory tests but they showed problems...watered down...some people can't give up....we are always looking over our shoulder and struggling to point out that we are living with an injustice because we have been induced with brain disabling meds.

Medication history:

2002-2004 olanzapine, 2.5

2003-2004- 10 olanzapine,

~2005-2007 quetiapine, 300mg

2006- zopiclone, 2 weeks, 2007 - 2013= abilify,

2013-2016- tapering abilify :blink:  

Hey Charlie thank you so much for your reply. It really made my day because go figure I started doing really really bad about 3 days ago. I didn't know you have been through so much with being bed ridden and having many posts on this website. I felt bed ridden for 3 months  or so just waiting for my mom to come home and watch netflix with me because I was so miserable and couldn't work and wanted to just be a little happy. Your post made me really happy and yes I am a star wars fan :) I have been drinking quite a bit these last few days and I've been so miserable man I think the antipsychotics are giving me a curve ball right now because I got hit with really bad insomnia and started hearing voices again. Am i schizophrenic? maybe. but the thing is the medicine is so incredibly bad I wouldnt ever take it again. The voices are so hard to deal with and I agree Kiki this medication is horrendous and we shouldn't just "forget" I was doing so well for a months well I was doing alright at least but now all the sudden I have been doing so terrible....this is really rough and I know its because of the medication but i also know that I have problems with hearing voices...I dont know if I am going to get worse or not but things started really going downhill for me all the sudden I am just going to try and fight it through though. I am really scared of becoming non functional again because I am working again and I have been really happy with my job but things got BAD this last week or so... I know my posts are really lame to read and I'm sorry but I appreciate you guys posting on my topic so much thank you...

I will never take that horrible crap "medicine" even if I hear voices I dont even care that medicine screws with your body

Hey Kiki how long did you take antipsychotics for? Your post really made me sad and I was curious I know this stuff is harsh are you still having tics? thank you

I dont know if I will make it through the next few weeks you guys xD haha thank you for being apart of my post I really want you to keep posting please thank you

best of luck thank you