Doodle3: trying to taper Ativan

Doodle3

Admin note: link to benzo forum thread Doodle3: trying to taper Ativan

@Shep Hi, currently on 1 mg ativan am and .05 pm. Had major stressors recently, think I might be in tolerance.  I Have burning in my legs, nausea half hour after I take it. Jelly legs. Heart palpitations, increased anxiety, daily crying spells.

I want to taper off but do not where to start and looking for guidance. 

Edited by Shep
added link to benzo forum thread

Ativan - 2004 1mg, 2010 increased to 2 mg. June 2017 went to 1.5 mg then September 2017 went to 1 mg.  November 2017 withdrawal symptoms started. December 2017 updosed 1.25 mg. March 2018 updosed 1.5mg and currently holding. 

Toprol - 1999 - current 50 mg

• ChessieCat changed the title to Doodle3: trying to taper Ativan
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Doodle.

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants.

It looks like you made some drastic reductions in the past. With a much slower taper, you'll likely feel better. Please see:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

This is a great post about benzo withdrawal and how it effects the brain and body:

What is happening in your brain?

A section that we highly recommend to members is the non-drug coping section. You'll find a lot of information on non-drug ways of making your journey off these drugs easier and will prepare you for your drug-free life ahead. 

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

We don't recommend a lot of supplements, as many members report their nervous systems are simply too fragile to handle them. However, magnesium and fish oil tend to be calming to the nervous system and many people report they do help. Please only add in one supplement at a time and at a small dose. For more, please see:

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

Are Ativan and Toprol the only drugs you are currently taking? Do you have a history of using any antidepressants or any other psych drug? 

If not and you're only dealing with Ativan and Toprol, please go ahead and start a thread for yourself in the members-only benzo forum.

Benzo tapering and recovery

You can use your main intro thread here for general support (it gets a lot more traffic than the benzo forum) and have your benzo thread for discussions involving benzo withdrawal. 

Please post here if you have any questions or problems setting up your benzo thread. 

I sincerely thank you for your help, Shep. 

Ativan - 2004 1mg, 2010 increased to 2 mg. June 2017 went to 1.5 mg then September 2017 went to 1 mg.  November 2017 withdrawal symptoms started. December 2017 updosed 1.25 mg. March 2018 updosed 1.5mg and currently holding. 

Should I try the liquid form of lorazapam to see if It agrees with me?  My Dr. Says to switch over entirely. They really dont know anything about this.

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Doodle3 said:

Should I try the liquid form of lorazapam to see if It agrees with me?  My Dr. Says to switch over entirely. They really dont know anything about this.

I copied this post over in your benzo thread and replied here:

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/20687-doodle3-trying-to-taper-ativan/?do=findComment&comment=429387