Can you measure serotonin?

Pilar

Hello, 

I was wondering if there is any test to measure serotonin in your brain or other part of your body.

I'm still dealing with withdrawal symptoms after one year off antidepressant medications ( cipralex and amitriptyline at he same time ) 

I believe I had mild to severe serotonin syndrome for the period I was taking those drugs. It is possible that my serotonin levels are still high, cause at night I have still numbing in my hands, and twitching muscles, still dry mouth... I didn't have any of those before they diagnose me with anxiety, I was just worried, but none physical symptoms like those. I read that high serotonin and low serotonin cause those symptoms. In my case I had them after the medication to increase serotonin so I believe I have serotonin built up in my system.

I've heard most of serotonin isn't in the brain but in other part of your body, and can be measure. 

Here there is a study: 

https://www.karger.com/Article/Abstract/22012

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3034914/

Does any one know any thing about this ? 

Apparently the information in the internet is quite controversial, some people say there is no way to measure the level of serotonin and then you find some studies already done 

Thanks!

Had at almost the same time the following medications: 

amitriptyline 10mg : On = 10th of March 2018, Off=  20th May 2018

cipralex 5mg ( escitolopram) : On = 25th April 2018, Off= 20th May 2018

Had to stop them abruptly due to side effects, now I'm  suffering withdrawal

• Administrator

No, you cannot measure serotonin in your brain. Your gut contains a huge amount of serotonin to aid digestion. Serotonin levels in the rest of your body are constantly changing. Testing them is not useful.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Can you measure serotonin?
  • 1 year later...
  • Mentor
On 5/29/2019 at 2:40 PM, Altostrata said:

No, you cannot measure serotonin in your brain. Your gut contains a huge amount of serotonin to aid digestion. Serotonin levels in the rest of your body are constantly changing. Testing them is not useful.

This is a topic I've been thinking about quite a bit.

I have 2 questions.

- Is there any sort of procedure, test or really any way to precisely measure serotonin levels in the brain of a living person?

- If the answer to the question above is yes - are there any guidelines to what "healthy" serotonin levels would be? I imagine even healthy non-drugged people have vastly different serotonin levels in their brains (if they can even be measured) so I don't think there can be any guidelines.

- Escitalopram 10mg from ages 15 - 21

- Severe crash after 4 month taper to 0

- Reinstated, stabilized, slowly tapering.

"Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it." - Hellen Keller

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Administrator

The answer to both your questions is NO.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Mentor
1 minute ago, Altostrata said:

The answer to both your questions is NO.

That's what I thought.

"Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it." - Hellen Keller

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Mentor

This means being "genetically predisposed" to mood disorders such as depression/ anxiety is also non-sense, correct?

• Administrator
10 hours ago, Yesyes123 said:

This means being "genetically predisposed" to mood disorders such as depression/ anxiety is also non-sense, correct?

Despite billions of dollars being spent on decades of research trying to find such predisposition, it has not been demonstrated.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy