SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

RoxieDwn: stopping trazadone

RoxieDwn

Hello all,

Been looking for anything I could find to help with tapering, discontinuing trazadone.  I have been using Trazadone 50 mg approx 2.5 years now.  

I've stopped trazadone 5 times since January 2019, abrupt discontinuations usually due to side the effects that worsened to the point that daytime functioning severely impaired.  To describe it, usually experiencing more side effects and even less sleep.  Usually the trazadone tolerance starts 2-3 weeks after restarting.  Past discontinuations I usually suffered some withdrawal effects after 2-3 days and but any uncomfortable withdrawals I did get subsided, but rebound insomnia was intense.  This of course lead me right back to trazadone, the longest stint was 10 days in which sleep deprivation took its toll on me physically so I got right back on it. 

Forward to today my last discontinuation was 11 days ago, withdrawals have been insane.  I read about reinstating, after 4 days after the abrupt discontinuation I took 1/2 a pill, approx 25 mg.  I was worse than ever and took my self to the ER at 4:00 a.m. not able to walk due to severe debilitating dizziness, shortness of breath. severed headache, nausea.  I had blood work and CT scan (all normal).  The ER dismissed my concerns about withdrawal and stated "trazadone is a benign drug and can be taken with just about anything else and does not cause these symptoms'.  I was treated for migraine and nausea and sent home. 

I called my sleep doctor (new doctor) the next day, he too dismissed my concerns and said "it's unlikely trazadone' would cause this effect and wrote me a new prescription for Remeron and told me to stop the trazadone.  I have NOT taken any Remeron as I surely do not want any further serotonin inhibiting medication.  I'm not being heard, as another example  2 months ago had a physical and extensive blood work done to rule out any medical conditions.  My primary complaint was insomnia,  she too dismissed my concerns and told me to just stop the trazdone and go to bed later to fix my sleep issues.  So as you can see why I stop and restart.  I am scheduled for a Sleep Study mid June, my doc said he needed me sleeping so I should take the medication, but the side effects and the fact they aren't working for sleep... so why keep taking them?  I am 50 years old and of course taking into consideration hormonal issues and possible apnea, RLS or anything else that be disrupting my sleep, as well as long stint of trazadone use.

I have not had any trazadone since that last dose of 25 mg taken 6 days ago, my withdrawal was intense after that for 4 more days, sleep actually came in waves those few days but now I am only getting 2.5 hours in waves with being woken up every 40-45 minutes. 

Reinstating at this point is out of the question, all those nasty side effects I was having went away and my dizziness is about 2/3 out 10 now.  I cannot find anything through searching to find out how long this will last, should I consider a reinstatement this far out and if I do and I'm still not sleeping do I just stop again?  The cycle won't end, I am at a cross roads and even after my sleep study I don't get back in to see my sleep doctor till the first of July.  I am starting to get a lot of anxiety and resorting to being in a depressed stated as I do not want to be prescribed more medication for aniexty and depression.  Sorry the long post hoping there is someone hear that might point out something I am missing in the mix of all this chaos I have created for my self.

Thanks so much. 

ps:  was not sure where to post this topic. 

Trazadone started at 75 mg 11/2016 

First CT withdrawal Jan 2019, resumed 50 mg after 7 days

Attempted withdrawals at 50 mg 3 other times until my last and final  CT withdrawal May 21, 2019, still withdrawing currently

• ChessieCat changed the title to RoxieDwn: Stopping trazadone
  • Administrator

Welcome, Roxie.

I'm sorry you're going through this. Your nervous system is upset from going on and off the drug several times. Every time you do this, it bruises your nervous system and you get those "rebound" symptoms.

When you took 25mg trazodone, that was too much for your nervous system, and it got upset again. Now it is in a hyper-sensitive state. You may react badly to anything but the smallest dosages of any psychoactive drug or even supplements or foods (like caffeine).

Since it seems you got some sleep for 4 days while the 25mg trazodone was wearing off, it's possible a much smaller dosage of trazodone, such as 1mg, might reduce those "rebound" withdrawal symptoms. When one is hyper-sensitive, a little can go a long way. We've seen this many times.

This explains how to take a very small dose of trazodone Tips for tapering off trazodone (Desyrel) People usually find making a liquid is the easiest way.

If you don't want to take drugs, your nervous system probably will recover very gradually, in fits and starts we call The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization This can take weeks or months. You will have to be patient.

A little melatonin, as low as 0.25mg, might help get you started with a few hours of sleep at the start, see Melatonin for sleep: Many people find it helpful

You've been describing a cycle of taking trazodone and then having "rebound" withdrawal effects that cause you to take trazodone again. Since you have a sleep doctor, I presume you have been prescribed trazodone for a sleep disorder? It is unlikely "trazodone withdrawal syndrome" will show up in any sleep studies. Medicine is largely ignorant of withdrawal syndrome and many other types of drug adverse reactions.

It may be that non-drug means are better suited to addressing your pre-existing sleep problem. Please read

Tips to help sleep -- so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

Music for self-care: Calms hyperalertness, anxiety, aids relaxation and sleep

What is the sleep cycle?

TV or computer use in evening can disrupt sleep: Bright light signals the brain that it's daytime

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi @RoxieDwn & welcome to the Group!  It's so difficult to hear how much you're struggling but I wanted to let you know that it's so very very important to stay the course throughout the taper,  Otherwise you're going to cause yourself a lot more symptoms and you need to suffer through. I understand it is very difficult I'm currently 9 months antidepressant free after 11 years as well as being poly drugged but since I've been antidepressant free I haven't felt this much like myself in years it's so worth it- just put your head down & power through. feel free to contact me anytime, sincerely, Laydefish

2 years Drug History Prior to Tapering:

Between 2011 & 2018 I had approximately 58 dose changes between the 4 main medications I took as well as 14 new medications add & taken away.

Prozac (Fluoxetine):(Aug 2016-Dec 2016: 60MG),(June 2017-Nov 2017: 60MG),(Dec 2017: 80MG),(June 2017-Sept 2 2018: 60MG),(Sept 3 2018-Sept 5 2018: 40MG),(Sept 6 2018-Sept 8 2018: 20MG),(Sept 9 2018: 0MG).

Cymbalta:(Jan 2017-May 2017: 60MG).

Cyclobenzaprine: (Aug 2016: 30MG,(Feb 2017: 30MG).

Diazepam (Valium):(Aug 2016-Sept 15 2016: 30MG),(Sept 16 2016-Oct 2017: 15MG),(Nov 2017-Aug 19 2018: 6MG),(Aug 20 2018: 0MG).

Gabapentin:(Aug 2016-Aug 3 2018: 2400MG),(Aug 4 2018-March 26 2019: 2000MG),(March 27 2019-March 30 2019: 1600MG),(May 1 2019: 2000MG)

Hydrocodone:(Aug 2016-Oct 2016: 10-325/4daily),(Nov 2016-Feb 2017: 10-325/3daily),(March 2017-April 2017: 5-325/4daily),(May 2017-April 2018: 10-325/3daily),(June 2018-Aug 25 2018: 10-325/5daily),(Aug 26 2018-Sept 2 2018: 4.5daily),(Sept 3 2018-Sept 10 2018: 10-325/4daily),(Sept 11 2018-Sept 18 2018: 10-325/3daily),(Sept 19 2018-May 1 2019: 10-325/3.5 daily).

Oxycodone: May 2018: 10-325MG/4daily). 

Please see my Intro for full drug history.

**Forgive Yourself For Not Knowing What You Didn't Know Before You Knew It!  -Maya Angelou/

Just an update...

Still withdrawing the hard way.  I honestly feel taking any medication  let alone more tradazone will enhance my problem 10 fold.  I’m 17 days now cold turkey and sure would like to just be somewhat normal not chasing a swaying boat and struggling to keep my balance and walk normal again. 

I have seen my sleep doctor this week and he set up an appointment to see a neurologist this Monday.   My dizziness has been severe, unable to drive and doing anything like exercise or labor intensive things  like doing laundry or basic house work leaves me very fatigued.  This exerbates the dizziness and I have to go back to bed rest, so to say that my brain and cns are pretty messed up is an understatement.  

Im a tiny bit better today, in a good wave, but had a hard one 2 days ago, so up and down like a rollercoaster.  I have dedicated my recovery to no supplements or even additional vitamins that are not from foods and beverages.  My system is in overload from anything that causes extra stress on my body, so pretty much bed rest.  My husband believes all is from withdrawal but I can’t help but think neurologically I have some damage.  Ringing in my ears, body feeling like it’s in idle ready to take off at ant moment are other side effects as well.  My appetite is good, my attitude is much more positive, I just need to make sure I am not enduring life Long side effects and if so what kind of a quality of life am I looking at. 

My sleep study is to determine if I have apnea, narcolepsy, rls, etc.  I was put on trazadone for trouble sleeping from an older doctor that just wrote the scripts but never suggested looking for the root of my issues.  My new doctor is, but he still says discontinuation from trazadone should be well and over after a few days let alone 17, so he too needs to rule out a neurological disorder and frankly at this point since all doctors I talk to say withdrawal doesnt happen on this drug, if I’m truly sick in another way.  Hard to believe I could just catch a neurological disorder or disease out the blue.  

Thanks so much for responding and posting some things that might be helpful down the road.  I’m committed to this process although it’s pure hell, I’ve gone from being highly active to bed ridden after stopping trazadone.  Surely this gets better in the next week or two.  

Attempted withdrawals at 50 mg 3 other times until my last and final  CT withdrawal May 21, 2019, still withdrawing currently

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Roxie and welcome from me too,

I'm going to give you some information/links which might help you to understand what is happening.  I will split this into 2 posts so it isn't overwhelming.  Please check out the symptoms list.  When I tried to reduce my dose I had an upset stomach for several days which at the time I put down to a tummy bug or something I'd eaten.  When I checked the list and saw it there, I realised that it was most probably a withdrawal symptom.

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

On 6/2/2019 at 3:17 AM, Altostrata said:

Since it seems you got some sleep for 4 days while the 25mg trazodone was wearing off, it's possible a much smaller dosage of trazodone, such as 1mg, might reduce those "rebound" withdrawal symptoms. When one is hyper-sensitive, a little can go a long way. We've seen this many times.

Please read Post #1 of this topic so that you know what your options are:  About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Please create your drug signature using the following format.   Keep it simple.  NO diagnoses or symptoms please - thank you.

• details for last 2 years - dates, ALL drugs, doses
  • summary for older than 2 years - just years and drug/s

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

This is your own introductions topic where your can ask questions about your own situation and journal your progress.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Recovery isn't linear it happens in a Windows and Waves Pattern

Withdrawal Normal Description

When we take a psychiatric drug, we are adding chemical/s to the brain.  The brain then has to change to adapt to getting the chemical/s.  It might have to change something to do with A and then once that change has been made it affects B so another change has to be made and so on down the line.  It is a chain reaction, a domino effect.

The same thing happens when we take the drug away.  That's why it's possible to experience such a vast array of withdrawal symptoms, and they can change, and be of different intensity.

are-we-there-yet-how-long-is-withdrawal-going-to-take

These explain it really well:

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

On 8/31/2011 at 5:28 AM, Rhiannon said:

When we stop taking the drug, we have a brain that has designed itself so that it works in the presence of the drug; now it can't work properly without the drug because it's designed itself so that the drug is part of its chemistry and structure. It's like a plant that has grown on a trellis; you can't just yank out the trellis and expect the plant to be okay. When the drug is removed, the remodeling process has to take place in reverse. SO--it's not a matter of just getting the drug out of your system and moving on. If it were that simple, none of us would be here. It's a matter of, as I describe it, having to grow a new brain. I believe this growing-a-new-brain happens throughout the taper process if the taper is slow enough. (If it's too fast, then there's not a lot of time for actually rebalancing things, and basically the brain is just pedaling fast trying to keep us alive.) It also continues to happen, probably for longer than the symptoms actually last, throughout the time of recovery after we are completely off the drug, which is why recovery takes so long.

AND

On 12/4/2015 at 2:41 AM, apace41 said:

Basically- you have a building where the MAJOR steel structures are trying to be rebuilt at different times - ALL while people are coming and going in the building and attempting to work.

It would be like if the World Trade Center Towers hadn't completely fallen - but had crumbled inside in different places.. Imagine if you were trying to rebuild the tower - WHILE people were coming and going and trying to work in the building!  You'd have to set up a temporary elevator - but when you needed to fix part of that area, you'd have to tear down that elevator and set up a temporary elevator somewhere else. And so on. You'd have to build, work around, then tear down, then build again, then work around, then build... ALL while people are coming and going, ALL while the furniture is being replaced, ALL while the walls are getting repainted... ALL while life is going on INSIDE the building. No doubt it would be chaotic. That is EXACTLY what is happening with windows and waves.  The windows are where the body has "got it right" for a day or so - but then the building shifts and the brain works on something else - and it's chaos again while another temporary pathway is set up to reroute function until repairs are made.  

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

I’m not sure how to update with my previous drug history, but will do some searching In the newbie threads how to that.

The symptoms list indicates many symptoms I’m having, dizziness, gait, swaying etc which leads to nausea, mood issues, etc.  What I feel most is something like CNS burnout, which I get fatigued very easy and hard to catch my breath.  I tried to walk on the treadmill this morning and that lasted 7 minutes before I realized it was only going to another minute or two before flew blown dizziness and tiredness would set me back another day or two like earlier this week.  

I need Ed my life back, I’m willing my self better but my body says otherwise.  My husband wants to do something together today and I have no energy to do so.  All because of a tiny pill I took for sleep that failed me in the end and causing me to be handicapped probably forever.  So goes the positive attitude and seeing some light.

i cannot thank you enough to every one that took the time to post related links and  details that show I have a very long time to go. If I thought for even a second 1mg would help me feel better, I might would try it.  My system seems so sensitive to even the smallest change in even my diet, I’m super scared of taking trzadone or any thing other than Tylenol for the headaches.  My doctor would need to involved in this process, I just began a patient doctor relationship with him to work on my sleep disorder. I have no clue what is best now.  

The good news is  18 days and nights drug free, my sleep isn’t great but it’s better than when I was on the trazadone weeks before I stopped, messing with that would be disheartening.  Sleep is so essential to the healing process.  Gosh I have no clue what to do, I know each day I wait to consider reinstatement the more this won’t work.  

This is is an amazing place for support, thanks so much again.  

• Administrator

Hi, Roxie.

A neurologist wouldn't have much to say about withdrawal syndrome from cold turkey of trazodone.  It sounds like you're doing a little better, that's a good sign.

A lot of people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see
https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

If I were you, I would never take trazodone again. In fact, I would avoid psychiatric drugs altogether, you might be hypersensitive for a long time. See

Tips to help sleep -- so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

Music for self-care: Calms hyperalertness, anxiety, aids relaxation and sleep

What is the sleep cycle?

Melatonin for sleep: Many people find it helpful

TV or computer use in evening can disrupt sleep: Bright light signals the brain that it's daytime

White noise devices for sleep

Light therapy for sleep problems

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus
7 hours ago, RoxieDwn said:

I’m not sure how to update with my previous drug history

Account Settings – Edit a signature

Thanks for the info regarding updating my drug use.

Also a note regarding my neurologist appointment, this is at the request of my sleep doctor.  He is the one that suggested anybody withdrawal if ANY would be over after a few days and this includes rebound insomnia as well.  

The neuro is a doctor I’ve seen before, it will be presented to him my symptoms are possibly due to trazadone use for 2.5 years and discontinuing...he will have to make assumptions like has/was trazadone  masking a true neuro  disorder/disease, I’m in no way looking for him to accept discontinuation syndrome, in fact I except the opposite.   This is  please my sleep doctor.  I also understand my sleep doctor will not be looking for withdrawal via my sleep study, I have a very complex sleeping issue, the way I have to go about sleep on or off tradone mimic classic signs of a particular disorder.  I in no way want future medication of any kind.

Also I have been taking mag and omega 3, when I have a really bad time with the withdrawals  I stop taking those though trying to keep everything I consume through diet.  

After talking with my husband earlier we both have to cling on to hope this isn’t a years worth or even 2 or 3 year process.  I may just have to will my body to keep doing the things I was doing no matter how I feel.  Exercising is a huge part of the balance in my life and I need that back as well.  

thanks again everyone, I’ll come back here in the future and update my case.  Perhaps any one reading might get help on this topic as well.

• Moderator Emeritus
46 minutes ago, RoxieDwn said:

Exercising is a huge part of the balance in my life and I need that back as well.  

Please be aware that some members find that exercise can exacerbate their withdrawal symptoms.  It's a good idea to start "low" and slow to figure out what level of exercise works for you.

exercise-do-more-do-less-do-nothing-what-worked-for-you

• ChessieCat changed the title to RoxieDwn: stopping trazadone
  • 6 months later...

How are you doing with withdrawal. I was going through a bad bento withdrawal and my doctor put me on 50 mg trazadone to sleep. I am doing better now and want to get off of it. I am having excess saliva and giissues not sure if it’s related to Benzo or another GIissue or Trazadone. Any help will be great

thanks

9 hours ago, Growler213 said:

How are you doing with withdrawal. I was going through a bad bento withdrawal and my doctor put me on 50 mg trazadone to sleep. I am doing better now and want to get off of it. I am having excess saliva and giissues not sure if it’s related to Benzo or another GIissue or Trazadone. Any help will be great

thanks

I be been completely trazadone free since my dose in May 22 2029. I never had saliva or hi issues from trazadone.  Side effects were hardly noticeable if at all.  

But withdrawing cold turkey, was a roller coaster for 3 weeks, but each week thereafter got better and better.  It took me about 4 months to get over side effects like dizziness and being generally out of balance, ringing in ears stopped completely.  

depending how long on the benzo, you may still be feeling risudual effects from this for a while. 

if you want off the trazadone, wean your self slowly using the tapering protocols.  Your brain and body will thank you for it.  💜🌺

6 minutes ago, Growler213 said:

Thanks for the information. I really appreciate it

Let me add this... staying hydrated while taking trazadone is super important.  Try to drink some electrolytes instead of just water.  Trazadone has the ability to alter sodium, maybe this might help you some. Always replace electrolytes if you exercise.  Just a thought.  

So you are able to sleep good now. I am trying to find out what’s the best way, my dr wants me to cut 1/4 every two weeks. I checked with my Phrmacist and he also said the same. But I am concern. Any idea on how I could taper with minimum side effects

3 minutes ago, Growler213 said:

So you are able to sleep good now. I am trying to find out what’s the best way, my dr wants me to cut 1/4 every two weeks. I checked with my Phrmacist and he also said the same. But I am concern. Any idea on how I could taper with minimum side effects

I do not want to discourage you, but I have not been able to sleep the same after coming off this medication.  But keep in mind I went off it cold turkey.  I’m also going through menopause so that is part of my sleep issues.  

It’s hard to cut these pills lower than 1/4.  It sounds like every 2 weeks is a good plan, can always go back to stabilizing dose if withdrawal is too uncomfortable.  

• Moderator Emeritus
20 hours ago, Growler213 said:

Growler, it's fine to post in other people's threads to offer support and encouragement, but please don't ask questions about your own taper. Please ask these questions in your own thread. 

I've copied this post and placed it in your thread. Please go here:

Growler213: Taper trazadone

20 hours ago, RoxieDwn said:

It’s hard to cut these pills lower than 1/4.  It sounds like every 2 weeks is a good plan, can always go back to stabilizing dose if withdrawal is too uncomfortable.  

Thank you for trying to help Growler, Roxie, but we don't recommend this. Updosing doesn't always work, so we recommend a 10% dosage reduction every 4 weeks, with the 10% calculated on the last dosage. 

Not a problem... I only told this person to basically follow their doctor.  sorry for breaking the rules.  This was quite harsh I feel, I’ll delete my account so I don’t get notified any more. 

• Moderator Emeritus
1 minute ago, RoxieDwn said:

Not a problem... I won’t come back to this site to help any one, sorry for breaking the rules.

Oh, Roxie, you are more than welcome to come back to the site. I was just trying to prevent Growler, a new member, from making too drastic a cut. 

2 minutes ago, Shep said:

Oh, Roxie, you are more than welcome to come back to the site. I was just trying to prevent Growler, a new member, from making too drastic a cut. 

I feel chastised by trying to help.  Feeling jumped on when responding and knowing my posts are being monitored like this is unsettling.  I’ll delete if I can, or turn my notifications off.  

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, turning your notifications off would be best if you're not interested in participating. 

Moderators follow the content for the Intro threads, which is where tapering advice is given. When dangerous information is put out there, we post for the protection and safety of our not only our members, but of anyone reading the site. It would not work any other way.