Matata44: feeling very sleepy with Lexapro

Matata44

Hello, My English is not that good but I will try my best. 

I’ve been taking Escitalopram for over a month now after a very hard benzo and Pregabalin withdrawal. It seems like now my anxiety is getting better and I no longer have derealization. My doctor put me on 10mg and after 3 weeks he upped to 20mg. The first symptoms when I started Escitalopram (nausea and increased anxiety) eventually subsided. The only thing that I still experience is little depression, very low energy and sleepiness. I don’t know if this will subside too because I’m 23 years old and currently studying in Russia. I really miss my energy and motivation.

Thank you very much for any information.

I am very happy with this website. 

2017 - 2019 Ketazolam (Benzo) and Pregabalin.

2019 Trazadon (for 2 months)

2019 Klonazepam (for a week)

2019 Stoped Trazadon, Started Escitalopram 20 mg.

2019 - 2021 Escitalopram (20 mg for a year and a half, then, I tapered the dosage by 1/8 each month) off by Dec. 2021

Tried: Magnesium + B6, Omega 3, St John’s Wort, Valerian root

Currently taking: Nucleo Forte (supplement for nerves)

B complex vitamins.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Matata44: feeling very sleepy with Lexapro
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Matata, welcome to SA.  You're English looks pretty good to me.  I'm sorry to hear you had a hard time withdrawing from the benzo and pregabalin.  I'm glad to hear you're feeling better.  The symptoms you're currently experiencing may be side effects of the escitalopram - it's a very strong drug and 20mg is quite a big dose.  How long have you been at 20mg now?

It would be helpful if you could please create a signature containing a summary of your med history, including all drugs, doses and dates (starting and stopping).  Your signature appears below every post you make, and allows us see your situation easily without having to read your topic from the top every time.   You could look at my signature for an example.  Instructions for creating your signature are here: Please put your withdrawal history in your signature.  You can edit your signature here: edit your signature in Account Settings.

When you feel ready, we can help you to taper off the escitalopram very slowly.  Please have a good read around the site.  Here are some topics to get you started:

Before you begin tapering - what you need to know

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

The rule of 3KIS - keep it simple keep it slow keep it stable

Please post all your updates and questions about your situation here in your introduction topic, and we will try to help you as best we can.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

Welcome too the Group!

2 years Drug History Prior to Tapering:

Between 2011 & 2018 I had approximately 58 dose changes between the 4 main medications I took as well as 14 new medications add & taken away.

Prozac (Fluoxetine):(Aug 2016-Dec 2016: 60MG),(June 2017-Nov 2017: 60MG),(Dec 2017: 80MG),(June 2017-Sept 2 2018: 60MG),(Sept 3 2018-Sept 5 2018: 40MG),(Sept 6 2018-Sept 8 2018: 20MG),(Sept 9 2018: 0MG).

Cymbalta:(Jan 2017-May 2017: 60MG).

Cyclobenzaprine: (Aug 2016: 30MG,(Feb 2017: 30MG).

Diazepam (Valium):(Aug 2016-Sept 15 2016: 30MG),(Sept 16 2016-Oct 2017: 15MG),(Nov 2017-Aug 19 2018: 6MG),(Aug 20 2018: 0MG).

Gabapentin:(Aug 2016-Aug 3 2018: 2400MG),(Aug 4 2018-March 26 2019: 2000MG),(March 27 2019-March 30 2019: 1600MG),(May 1 2019: 2000MG)

Hydrocodone:(Aug 2016-Oct 2016: 10-325/4daily),(Nov 2016-Feb 2017: 10-325/3daily),(March 2017-April 2017: 5-325/4daily),(May 2017-April 2018: 10-325/3daily),(June 2018-Aug 25 2018: 10-325/5daily),(Aug 26 2018-Sept 2 2018: 4.5daily),(Sept 3 2018-Sept 10 2018: 10-325/4daily),(Sept 11 2018-Sept 18 2018: 10-325/3daily),(Sept 19 2018-May 1 2019: 10-325/3.5 daily).

Oxycodone: May 2018: 10-325MG/4daily). 

Please see my Intro for full drug history.

**Forgive Yourself For Not Knowing What You Didn't Know Before You Knew It!  -Maya Angelou/

• Administrator

Welcome, Matata.

What time of day do you take Lexapro? When did you increase to 20mg? Were you also sleepy on 10mg?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 years later...

Problems with Escitalopram withdrawal

Hello, guys! 

I posted here when I first started Escitalopram years 3 years ago. 

Now I’m off the medicine for 3 months after a year of tapering (the tapering process was not so bad). I’m having big trouble with an anxiety sensation that comes from my stomach and very strong insomnia. I went without sleeping for almost an entire week. 

I tried a mix with Valerian root and St Johns Wort and it helped but I’m scared to take it for long. But it helped to sleep for 3 days. 

Has anyone experienced something similar? The anxiety in my stomach and electric sensation in arms and legs is very scary. 

Anyone has some advice for insomnia? 

Thank you very much!

Edited by ChessieCat
added Intro topic title before merging with intro topic

2019 - 2021 Escitalopram (20 mg for a year and a half, then, I tapered the dosage by 1/8 each month) off by Dec. 2021

B complex vitamins.

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Matata44 said:

I tried a mix with Valerian root and St Johns Wort and it helped but I’m scared to take it for long.

SA's topics:

valerian-root

st-johns-wort-hypericum-perforatum

1 hour ago, Matata44 said:

Anyone has some advice for insomnia? 

Sleep problems - that awful withdrawal insomnia

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thanks for the info about Valerian root and St Johns!

B complex vitamins.

• 2 months later...

Inability to walk properly

5 months ago I stopped Lexapro and started feeling weakness over the body. Specially in my legs. 
I used to be a very active young person. Now I can walk just to the bathroom and back due to muscle weakness and pain. 

I have checked with different doctors already and they say that everything looks normal in MRIs and Electromyography. 

Can this be SSRI related?

I also survived benzo and Pregabalin withdrawal 3 years ago.

I’m pretty depressed and suicidal right now due to this problem. 

If anyone knows something, it would be great. 

Thank you.

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic

B complex vitamins.

@Matata44

I cannot definitively answer your question about whether or not it's SSRI related. 

What I can say is that I am also post-escitalopram and have dealt with significant muscle weakness and fatigue. It's getting better. 

Another thing to keep in mind is that the less we use our muscles the more muscle mass we lose. So the weakness and fatigue can also accumulate/be exacerbated by prolonged periods of inactivity. 

Good that you've checked with doctors and got the all clear. You don't have to worry about that. 

You write that you stopped escitalopram 5 months ago. That's not a long time in the context of withdrawal syndrome. Escitalopram is a very potent drug -- one of the most potent SSRIs -- and a lot happens after the zero mark. Also, based on your drug signature it looks like you did a rapid taper off of the drug. The effects of that can be cumulative. So all in all my impression is that your body is working really hard at adjusting to being drug-free. In other words, healing is happening! 

It takes time but it does get better. Hang in there. 

Keep trying to move and walk when you can. Even a walk to and from the bathroom is better than nothing. Gradually as you get better you will be able to make longer trips and build up your distance over time. Healing is a process, rehabilitation is a process. You will get there. 

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

supplements: magnesium powder (dissolved in water) as needed throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil w/ morning meal; 2mg melatonin 

August 1, 2022 - 1 mg melatonin

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

Hello, Ariel

Thank you very much for your reply.

I did try to tapper slowly but not as good as 10% monthly. It took me over a year to tapper.

Yeah. I try my best every day to keep moving but the pain and weakness is so frustrating. Also, after I stoped, became hypersensitive to any emotion, so this experience is totally overwhelming. 

I keep going just for my family.

I see that you have been through a lot of drugs. Your journey must have been tough too.

B complex vitamins.

Hi @Matata44

11 minutes ago, Matata44 said:

I did try to tapper slowly but not as good as 10% monthly. It took me over a year to tapper.

I hear you. I did a rapid taper basically equivalent to cold turkey, so I understand. My doctor was ignorant and so was I. I didn't learn about withdrawal syndrome until years later. I didn't know anything about proper tapering back when I did it. A lot of us are in that situation. 

13 minutes ago, Matata44 said:

Yeah. I try my best every day to keep moving but the pain and weakness is so frustrating. Also, after I stoped, became hypersensitive to any emotion, so this experience is totally overwhelming. 

Hypersensitivity to emotion is very common in withdrawal. Have you seen the help topic about Neuro-emotions? There's a lot of good info there as well as links to other helpful topics. 

In WD we need to learn how to accept the neuro-emotions without getting caught up in them. There are non-drug coping techniques to help us manage. 

15 minutes ago, Matata44 said:

I see that you have been through a lot of drugs. Your journey must have been tough too.

Thank you for your compassion. It's a tough journey for everyone. I'm still healing and I've got a ways to go, but it helps that I'm seeing improvements. It gets better. 

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

supplements: magnesium powder (dissolved in water) as needed throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil w/ morning meal; 2mg melatonin 

August 1, 2022 - 1 mg melatonin

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

• Moderator Emeritus

From your drug signature:

Currently taking: 

Magnesium + B6

Omega 3 

St John’s Wort 

Valerian root

Q:  What dose of St Johns Wort are you taking?

I suggest that you do some research on the side effects/interactions for SJW and valerian.

When I was taking Prozac I developed weak muscles.  It got so bad that my hips were sort and I had trouble walking because they were like that get when you are pregnant (in preparation for childbirth).  After stopping the Prozac I started taking SJW and I still had the muscle weakness.  Now I do not know if the SJW also caused the issue, or if I was still having the problem from the Prozac.  And it was many decades ago so there is no way I can remember clearly.  I can just remember trying to walk on the sand at the beach and having a lot of trouble with my hips and making the connection that it was the Prozac causing it.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Trying antidepressants again to cope with suicidal thoughts?

It’s been 6 months since I stopped Lexapro.

Still unable to walk much. A lot of muscle weakness, loss of muscle mass and twitching all over the body but specially on the right leg which has a lot of pain too.

Feeling more mental clarity but very depressed due to the inability to walk. 

Still unsure if these all are symptoms of stopping Lexapro or just a neurological condition.

Very suicidal. Keep trying for my family. 

Could it be a good idea to try Lexapro again after 6 months off? Could it stop the muscle weakness and suicidal thoughts? 

Edited by ChessieCat

B complex vitamins.

On 5/31/2022 at 2:34 PM, Ariel said:

Hi @Matata44

On 5/31/2022 at 2:16 PM, Matata44 said:

I hear you. I did a rapid taper basically equivalent to cold turkey, so I understand. My doctor was ignorant and so was I. I didn't learn about withdrawal syndrome until years later. I didn't know anything about proper tapering back when I did it. A lot of us are in that situation. 

Expand  

Hypersensitivity to emotion is very common in withdrawal. Have you seen the help topic about Neuro-emotions? There's a lot of good info there as well as links to other helpful topics. 

In WD we need to learn how to accept the neuro-emotions without getting caught up in them. There are non-drug coping techniques to help us manage. 

Thank you for your compassion. It's a tough journey for everyone. I'm still healing and I've got a ways to go, but it helps that I'm seeing improvements. It gets better. 

The fact that you have improved give hope. It’s really an inspiration for people who feel lost with this symptoms.

I wish you to get better and better every day!

B complex vitamins.

On 5/31/2022 at 6:41 PM, ChessieCat said:

When I was taking Prozac I developed weak muscles.  It got so bad that my hips were sort and I had trouble walking because they were like that get when you are pregnant (in preparation for childbirth).  After stopping the Prozac I started taking SJW and I still had the muscle weakness.  Now I do not know if the SJW also caused the issue, or if I was still having the problem from the Prozac.  And it was many decades ago so there is no way I can remember clearly.  I can just remember trying to walk on the sand at the beach and having a lot of trouble with my hips and making the connection that it was the Prozac causing it.

Thank you for your answer!
I’m currently not taking this supplements. I should update my info. But it’s interesting to know that you had a somewhat similar reaction.

I send you good vibes.

B complex vitamins.

• Administrator
11 hours ago, Matata44 said:

Could it be a good idea to try Lexapro again after 6 months off? Could it stop the muscle weakness and suicidal thoughts? 

It is unknown if a reinstatement would help muscle weakness, or the suicidal thoughts. What is the content of these suicidal thoughts?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

9 hours ago, Altostrata said:

It is unknown if a reinstatement would help muscle weakness, or the suicidal thoughts. What is the content of these suicidal thoughts?

Hello, Altostrata

I understand. I was just thinking about it since I’m desperate. I had to leave my studies in another country and my work to live with my family. I went from been a student, athlete and worker to a sick and depressed person who can’t walk out of the house.

My suicidal thoughts are based on the fact that I can’t walk, plus the extreme emotional sensitivity that I’ve developed and the fact that I left everything behind. I also hate not being able to help my family.

Thank you for your concern.. 

B complex vitamins.

• Moderator Emeritus
5 hours ago, Matata44 said:

My suicidal thoughts are based on the fact that I can’t walk, plus the extreme emotional sensitivity that I’ve developed and the fact that I left everything behind. I also hate not being able to help my family.

I can understand you feeling very depressed about your current difficulties.  However, please try to remember that although it can take a long time to recover from symptoms caused by withdrawal from antidepressants, this is not permanent.  I won't lie to you - recovery from this can take many months or longer.  Did you quit Lexapro altogether in December 2021?  I'm basing my guess on the quote below: 

On 6/8/2022 at 11:37 AM, Matata44 said:

t’s been 6 months since I stopped Lexapro.

There are other non drug ways to deal with depression.  Have you tried reading any of the success stories, to encourage you and give you hope?  

Success Stories

Developing a strong spiritual life is the best remedy I know for getting though a set of very challenging circumstances.  

Finding Meaning

Acceptance can really help to give you peace, and to lessen depression as well.  

Radical Acceptance

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Matata44 said:

This is understandable, but it is not a withdrawal symptom, it is your blaming yourself. You have had an accident, you are in a bad time, forgive yourself. A psychotherapist may be able to help you.

Try to get as much physical activity as you can, even 10 minutes of walking a day. This can help your nervous system recover.

See

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Easing your way into meditation for a stressed-out nervous system

Music for self-care: calms hyperalertness, anxiety, aids relaxation and sleep

Ways to cope with daily anxiety

Dealing With Emotional Spirals 

Shame, guilt, regret, and self-criticism

Thank you very much for your advice. 
I didn’t really have an accident. All this muscle weakness started once I stoped Lexapro. It could also be a coincidence but I have been through many doctors and nobody seems to understand what’s wrong. Since my symptoms are related to neurological diseases, I’ll see my second neurologist in a couple of weeks. 
I would love to have a 10 minute walk but unfortunately, I can barely make it to the bathroom or to the kitchen. 

All the acceptance techniques seem to help coping. This site is great for finding hope. I also started reading Viktor Frankl who truly is a huge inspiration during difficult times. 

I will also start working with a psychologist today. But again, I hate having to spend so much money on all this stuff..

I also would like to inform that, in the other hand, and apart from the strong depression and weakness, most of the withdrawal symptoms have subsided. The extreme anxiety and derealization are not here any more.

Thanks again for the links!

B complex vitamins.

39 minutes ago, getofflex said:

Did you quit Lexapro altogether in December 2021?

Yeah. That’s when I stopped taking it altogether.

B complex vitamins.

• Moderator Emeritus
23 minutes ago, Matata44 said:

I will also start working with a psychologist today. But again, I hate having to spend so much money on all this stuff..

Please realize that the money spent on a good therapist is money well spent.  You will learn mental habits, and find emotional healing that will serve you and others richly for the rest of your life.  

24 minutes ago, Matata44 said:

I also would like to inform that, in the other hand, and apart from the strong depression and weakness, most of the withdrawal symptoms have subsided. The extreme anxiety and derealization are not here any more.

This shows significant improvement! In my opinion, the muscle weakness is also from the Lexapro withdrawal, since this is when it started.  Many others have had this symptom after tapering from psych meds: 

Weakness and Muscle Fatigue in Legs, Arms, or Body

I believe that your difficulty walking and muscle weakness will resolve in time.  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you @getofflex for all the advice and comfort.

Physiotherapy seems to help a bit. But my nerves are feeling very strange. Specially on my legs. 

My doctor suggested Pregabalin and Klonopin to hundle the nerve issues but I’m so afraid to take them.

B complex vitamins.

• 2 weeks later...

Matata44: I’m ready to go

It’s already the 7th month since I stopped Lexapro. My anxiety is not as strong as it was at the beginning but it’s still really hard to handle. The worst thing is the muscle atrophy in my legs and really bad muscle pain and swelling  in my calves, resulting in inability to walk. I also have shakiness in my feet, clonus (hyperreflexia) and fasciculations all over the body (specially on my right calf). Another symptom is numbness in my limbs and tingling feeling. I already thought that I have MS or ALS, or any other neurological disorder. 

I have done countless of medical tests and nothing shows up. The only explanation that I find is that all this symptoms are due to psychiatric medication.

I want my life back. I can’t even go to the bathroom without pain. I’m slowly loosing all hope. I spend most of my day thinking about the best way to finish with my suffering. I don’t know how much more I can take. 

I know that it’s important to stay positive but everything seems to get worse each day. I just don’t want to hurt my family but I don’t think that it is fair to let someone suffer like this. 

Edited by ChessieCat

B complex vitamins.

• Frogie changed the title to Matata44:I’m ready to go..

@Matata44

Welcome to SA. We are a volunteer ran site helping people taper off psychotic medications, or have tapered off and are healing.

This is your introduction page where you will receive information, ask questions and meet other members. We ask that you only have one introduction page so we can keep all your information in one place.

You have tapered off Lexapro rather quickly and that is where your symptoms are coming from I believe. We never suggest more than 10% a month and some go a lot slower than that.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

What is withdrawal syndrome?

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

You could try reinstating  0.50 mg of Lexapro and see if that helps. It takes 7-10 days to reach fully in your body. Lexapro is very strong, so a little goes a long way when reinstating. If that small amount doesn't help, you could always updose just a little. Then a nice long hold before you decide to taper off of it slowly.

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

Tips for tapering off escitalopram (Lexapro)

Also, we don't suggest B Vitamins because they can be very stimulating to the nervous system. You may not want to take the Nucleo Forte supplement either as it contains multi vitamins and we would not know which one may be causing problems. We only suggest two one here. You could try a small amount of one, wait a few days and then introduce the other.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

After you have read the links provided, please reach out with any questions you may have.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Hello, @Frogie

Thanks for the answer. I unintentionally have opened a new topic. I already had one introduction. This was meant to be an update.

The supplements where given to me by a doctor since I’m having neurological damage like symptoms. 

Do you think that retaking a small dosage of Lexapro will help. I’m absolutely desperate. Life is not worth living like this. The depression is very strong.

B complex vitamins.

@Matata44

I would just be careful with the supplements because they contain different ingredients. And watch B Vitamins, as I said they can be very stimulating.

I think it would be worth a try to reinstate the Lexapro at 0.50 mg, as it is very strong. You are within the time limit to try and reinstate. We may just need to adjust the dose until we find what works for you.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

I understand. I’ll be careful with the B vitamins.

And how can I obtain such Lexapro dosage? 

And also, what is the limit time? My last dosage was in December 18th..

B complex vitamins.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Matata44: I’m ready to go
  • Moderator Emeritus

You can make your own liquid, or if it's available in Equador, you might be able to buy a commercial Lexapro liquid.  This link will explain how to do this things. There is no set time limit.  The longer we wait to reinstate, the less likely it is to work.  This is because the brain is slowly adjusting to it's predrug state, so to then introduce the drug again throws the brain off.  Please carefully read this: 

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

@getofflex thanks again for the info.

B complex vitamins.

So I’m very suicidal. I’m just too scared to take the medicine again. I prefer dying that experiencing the akathisia and depersonalization again. 

I feel stuck and hopeless. Apparently all this medication has damaged my nervous system. Maybe it will heal someday.. meanwhile is just too frustrating to have higher anxiety and inability to walk. The pain in my muscles is very strong. I’m losing more and more muscle mass.

If I don’t keep responding, know that I wish healing to all you people suffering here. I send tons of love to anyone reading this..

B complex vitamins.

If you truly mean to harm yourself, please get some face to face help. There is very little we can do to help over the computer, but here is some information:

For now get with some friends or family, just have some people around who can give what support they can. Heavy suicidal thoughts usually clear in a few hours to days. You just have to hang in there.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

@brassmonkey thank you

Unfortunately, I’ve been dealing with this thoughts for several months since I stopped Lexapro. When I had the benzo and Pregabalin withdrawal, the suicidal ideation wasn't nearly as hard and long as with Lexapro. 

I just want to rest from this..

I’ve tried counseling and psychologists, therapists. But something seems to be physicaly wrong. I don’t know what to do about it.. I just don’t want to hurt my family. 

B complex vitamins.

• Moderator Emeritus
8 minutes ago, Matata44 said:

I just want to rest from this..

I’ve tried counseling and psychologists, therapists. But something seems to be physicaly wrong. I don’t know what to do about it.. I just don’t want to hurt my family. 

A small reinstatement, as I mentioned previously may be helpful.  Frogie suggest 0.5 mg.  Would you consider trying this? 

@getofflex 

Yes. I remember this option.

I’m just afraid that it would trigger some bad reaction. Because I’m apparently very sensitive to this medicine. When I withdrew 7 months ago I was taking 1.25 mg.  I just really don’t want to deal with any more reactions. The ones that I have now are fairly hellish.

Maybe 0.50 is not strong enough to cause a reaction? Because it’s also being 7 months already. I wanted to push it through but it’s just not getting much better..

B complex vitamins.

• Moderator Emeritus

I can understand your reluctance to try a reinstatement after 7 months.  It would be a bit of a gamble at this point in time.  The only other option is to tough it out, and do all you can to learn and use non drug coping techniques.  It may seem like it's not getting better, but usually improvement is glacially slow.  One day in the future, you will look back on this time, and realize that you are feeling better now that you did 6 months or a year ago. The best thing that helped me during acute WD, was to distract myself with simple physical tasks - things like cooking, house cleaning, knitting, coloring in adult coloring books, doing crafts, gentle walks if you are able, etc.  Try not to dwell on your symptoms, and how bad you feel.  

Edited by getofflex